Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

By adding an even curve to  my arrow, I used less nodes.   I rotated it  and added a small inner bevel and drop shadow after I changed it to a raster.  For those that may be having difficulties.  I find using the grid, or if you prefer the guide lines, to  keep  what you are creating symmetrical, and even.  As that is the way I like  to create.  Uncheck the snap to grid/guides, as they are only there  for you to place the  nodes etc evenly, unless you are looking to create distorted shapes. Also, which I find is important, make sure you keep your  vector shape in the centre of your page. I hope this makes sense to you.

Lesson 1b.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 6
  • Love 11

@Cristina Isn't it interesting how little details can escape us even when we use the program daily?

@Anja Pelzer Good start. Playing with Fill and Stroke is definitely part of Vectors, so keep practicing. It will become "second-nature".

@Sharla You worked hard with those arrows. That multi-arrow has lots of nodes and you made them quite symmetrically!

@Ann Seeber That is an interesting arrow. But since it is a practice, why not make those shapes as original as possible, right?

@libera I assumed you added a separate line to make that break. I certainly didn't expect that much creativity in such a "basic" assignment!

@Donna Sillia At first, I thought your heart was a big cookie! Sometimes, I do wish there was a way to "mirror" the position of a node to make changes symmetrical. Unfortunately, there is nothing of the sort.

@fiona cook You will get quite a bit of practice in the upcoming lessons to handle those nodes. Once you get more comfortable, you will see how it will go smoother.

@Jen Brown Welcome to the Campus. Looking forward to your projects.

@Suzy Your arrow is fine. We have so many different results with a single task. Isn't it fun?

@Sheila Hogg if you round the head, that arrow can become a comet!

@Gerry LandrethTo answer your question, yes, you can Merge nodes, but the Merge command does not actually merge the nodes, but the adjacent segments. You will see that in future lessons.

@Marie-ClaireYou certainly managed to complete your arrow, despite the challenge.

@Linda J WalkerLooking forward to your projects tomorrow.

@Marvin FojtasekANother interesting arrow!

@Theresa Di Cesare I am also glad that the email issue was solved. And for a start, you are doing great. And yes, this is ONLY the first lesson. Stay tuned!

@Corrie KinkelThat butterfly is actually another type of shape you could create. Do you remember the Paper butterfly scripts in the store? I had to create such a shape for them.

@Sue ThomasThanks for sharing the steps so that the newcomers can try to go one step further with their shapes!

@Connie CollierSince you are already familiar with the Vectors, I hope you will still learn a few tricks through the Workshop! Looking forward to your projects!

@Art KuiperThat is a great way to use those shapes into a project!

@Bobby Yeater Welcome to the Campus and the workshop. You worked hard on that assignment! And the result is great. Keep it up!

@Julie MagerkaThe explanation is simple: you got a heart attack!

@rjay segura Welcome to the Campus. I am glad you found some useful tidbits in that "simple" lesson. Stay tuned for the next ones.

@Mary SolaasIsn't this forum always overflow with creativity? That is one fantastic feature of this group!\

@Alicia GarbelmanAre you able to enlarge the nodes too? That depends on your version and might not be available on older versions.

If you have not yet posted, don't worry. The thread will stay open for the whole workshop (and after too) so you can always catch up.

I am glad to see some new participants! A big welcome to you.

Since this thread is sizzling hot and super busy, remember that you can adjust the notifications you get. Find the Following button on top, click on it and adjust how often you want to receive emails about posts in this thread.

See you tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am a bit late posting but for some reason I couldn't sign in or register for the forum despite having done a previous workshop. I kept getting captcha verification errors. Kept trying & eventually re-registered. I must have 3 different forum accounts by now. Anyway, it was a great class. Just enough information to be interesting without overwhelming. My arrow was very wonky until I remembered about using the guidelines to get the bits aligned evenly. I am not artist and a sprained wrist doesn't help but I did manage something respectable though not very elegant. 

vector1 Sharon.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 8

Here is my Vector Lesson 1. I had a bit of a problem with the arrow. When I added the first extra node on the rectangle,  it kept giving me 2 nodes, one right under the other.  The rest of the added nodes worked OK and added one node where I wanted it. I just ignored the extra node and kept on going. I learned a lot about nodes and how you can use them to change a shape.

Anita-Vector-1-scaled.jpg

• Like 14
  • Love 4

My attempts at lesson one.  My problem was also getting two nodes when I was adding (i just did undo and it went away).  The other problem is when I want to move the nodes I would inadvertently add a node or it would move the whole vector object.  Do I have to click on the node to make it active then move it?  What does the cursor look like when I can move it?  I see squiggley line, a plus sign and 4 arrows.  My heart comes to a weird pointy point, how would I get rid of that?  Good lesson and I see how you can fiddle around with nodes for some time.  Good idea from everyone who said use the grid/guide lines.  I will try that.  I need more practice.  I see some very cool hearts and arrows from everyone.  So cool to see so many posts when I got home from work.  

side note:  does anyone remember the spoof movie Airplane.  The pilot says to the co-pilot, "What's your vector Victor?"  hahaha.  Now it's running through my head as I learn about vectors.  

Vector WS Lesson 1 Arrow from Rectangle-600.jpg

Vector WS Lesson 1 Heart from Ellipse-600.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 5
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

All these overachievers on page 5! They quite put me to shame with their fancy work and creativity!! ?

Hahaha, yes, aren't we all wearing our fancy pants today.  In fact, I just incorporated a business making hearts and arrows!  Maybe I shouldnt quit my day job, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Susan Ewart and @Anita Wyatt Can you clarify a little something for me? When you say it added two nodes instead of just one, was that just at that location, or were you automatically getting a "bounding box" (all the nodes on the sides, corners, and in the center)?

Would you mind sending me a screenshot by email of what you get when you have that "double node" along with what version you are using?

9 hours ago, libera said:

Cristina, I love your idea, putting text inside the heart, could you please remind us/me how you did that??
Made something similar a while ago but just can't remember now which way it was. 

Hi Libera,

The one you saw before was a Customized Text Overlay and was based on the Lab 5- Module 9 (Text Background Paper).

For this one, I used the pattern that comes with PSP. There are 5 Text patterns in English and 5 "Texte" patterns in French (right your alley ?). In this case, I used the Text 1 pattern.

About the technique, Sue Thomas explained it in a much better way than I would have thought. The details are important, and I never think of mentioning them...Thank you, Sue! Your work is, as always, beautiful!

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Anita Wyatt said:

Here is my Vector Lesson 1. I had a bit of a problem with the arrow. When I added the first extra node on the rectangle,  it kept giving me 2 nodes, one right under the other.  The rest of the added nodes worked OK and added one node where I wanted it. I just ignored the extra node and kept on going. I learned a lot about nodes and how you can use them to change a shape.

Anita-Vector-1-scaled.jpg

Oh, good. Your arrow looks just like what I achieved, which eventually turned into my "arrowhead" ? I definitely need more practice and putting up guidelines is a great suggestion!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I'm not so good at "eyeballing it," as Rachel Ray would say, so I worked with guides to help. BTW - Thank you, Carole, for the lesson on guides!

I not only used guides, but I also used grids. I have OCD and I just can't bring myself to eyeball things. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Michele said:

Here are mine for Day 1. As I commented earlier, I use both guides and grids to get my vectors symmetrical. 

I love all the different results I'm seeing. You are all always an inspiration to me.

large.Heart2600.jpg.61eb7c8a914d92328ddec9461d1b45ca.jpglarge.Arrow2600.jpg.6c491f033a058a5d78cd11b3d3ecae0f.jpg

OK, I'll take the hint. Your arrow is similar to my first attempt but is SYMMETRICAL! That's what annoyed me about my own. So now I know to employ guides and maybe even grids, though I'm not used to using grids at all. (Another learning curve!) ?

• Like 2
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

By adding an even curve to  my arrow, I used less nodes.   I rotated it  and added a small inner bevel and drop shadow after I changed it to a raster.  For those that may be having difficulties.  I find using the grid, or if you prefer the guide lines, to  keep  what you are creating symmetrical, and even.  As that is the way I like  to create.  Uncheck the snap to grid/guides, as they are only there  for you to place the  nodes etc evenly, unless you are looking to create distorted shapes. Also, which I find is important, make sure you keep your  vector shape in the centre of your page. I hope this makes sense to you.

Lesson 1b.jpg

Sue - how did you get your arrow to curve?

29 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

OK, I'll take the hint. Your arrow is similar to my first attempt but is SYMMETRICAL! That's what annoyed me about my own. So now I know to employ guides and maybe even grids, though I'm not used to using grids at all. (Another learning curve!) ?

I usually only use guides, but I would have had to create too many. That's why the grid came in handy. Once you get used to it, you'll love it. OCD can be a curse or a helping hand...sometimes both at the same time. lol

Edited by Michele
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Michele said:

I usually only use guides, but I would have had to create too many. That's why the grid came in handy. Once you get used to it, you'll love it. OCD can be a curse or a helping hand...sometimes both at the same time. lol

Michele, what size image do you start out with and what are the settings you use for the Grid? (Totally clueless about grids..)

Just now, Michele said:

Here are mine for Day 1. As I commented earlier, I use both guides and grids to get my vectors symmetrical. 

I love all the different results I'm seeing. You are all always an inspiration to me.

large.Heart2600.jpg.61eb7c8a914d92328ddec9461d1b45ca.jpglarge.Arrow2600.jpg.6c491f033a058a5d78cd11b3d3ecae0f.jpg

I'm  like you, I'm  very particular about  creating anything  symmetrical. If it's  off by a fraction my eye will detect it. I see your lines  are perfectly aligned. I wouldn't say it's an OCD,  you just like to get it right, as do I,  to the best of my ability.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Suzy said:

All these overachievers on page 5! They quite put me to shame with their fancy work and creativity!! ?

I know what you mean Suzy and Julie. I hid my chewed up hearts and wonky arrows. It helped to do a little summary of the stages. One of which, like said before, to select the Pen Tool !

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

My attempts at lesson one.  My problem was also getting two nodes when I was adding (i just did undo and it went away).  The other problem is when I want to move the nodes I would inadvertently add a node or it would move the whole vector object.  Do I have to click on the node to make it active then move it?  What does the cursor look like when I can move it?  I see squiggley line, a plus sign and 4 arrows.  My heart comes to a weird pointy point, how would I get rid of that?  Good lesson and I see how you can fiddle around with nodes for some time.  Good idea from everyone who said use the grid/guide lines.  I will try that.  I need more practice.  I see some very cool hearts and arrows from everyone.  So cool to see so many posts when I got home from work.  

side note:  does anyone remember the spoof movie Airplane.  The pilot says to the co-pilot, "What's your vector Victor?"  hahaha.  Now it's running through my head as I learn about vectors.  

Vector WS Lesson 1 Arrow from Rectangle-600.jpg

Vector WS Lesson 1 Heart from Ellipse-600.jpg

I quite like the 'weirdy pointy point'. It has an elegance. Bet I can't replicate it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ann Seeber said:

Michele, what size image do you start out with and what are the settings you use for the Grid? (Totally clueless about grids..)

Ann, the

Just now, Ann Seeber said:

Ann, the size of the image, or page is irrelevant, as Carole would say it depends on the size of your page/element. There are many tuts and masterclasses where Carole has used the grid. I believe there is a tut in the blog on using the grid and guides. As Michele  said, once you get used to using them, they prove to be very useful aids.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

the size of the image, or page is irrelevant,

Sue, this workshop is a bit unusual where we are not creating 3600x3600 scrap pages and also need reduced jpgs to post here so I was just asking Michele for a suggestion as to what she used, as a starting point, at least. I'm already following her suggestion of 3000 x 2000 for larger layouts intended to post on Facebook. That size eliminates FB's automatic addition of a color background to fill, which I had found annoying, myself. 

• Like 1