Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

7 hours ago, Cristina said:

I already learned something new today... Never noticed that the icons have the corresponding shapes and that they changed once Converted to Path... I Only paid attention when it was Text. Cool!

So, here are the heart and arrow.

Practice_lesson1_Arrow.jpg

Practice_lesson1_heart.jpg

Cristina, I love your idea, putting text inside the heart, could you please remind us/me how you did that??
Made something similar a while ago but just can't remember now which way it was. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

First experiment. All the textures are mine. The bevel on the heart is a layer style. The bevel on the arrow is on a raster layer. This lesson clarified a lot of things, but I will continue practicing with the different nodes.

dsheart1.jpg

arrow2.jpg

The texture of your heart has a sparkling effect, Donna, like diamonds....Texture of the arrow reminds me little bit of rough fiber wallpaper. But I wonder, no Blue today ?!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, libera said:

Cristina, I love your idea, putting text inside the heart, could you please remind us/me how you did that??
Made something similar a while ago but just can't remember now which way it was. 

Libera, I can't speak for Cristina on how she did it. Assuming she used a  ready made paper. Open  it in PSP,   using the selection tool, select inside the heart, expand by  one or two pixels, then on a new layer go to patterns, make the necessary  size etc adjustments, and flood fill, deselect, and move  it below the heart.  If she created the text paper herself, then  the same would apply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like Cristina said I too never noticed that the icons changed when converting to path. I forgot a couple of times that you first have to change to the pentool  and convert to path, but I hope I won't do that any more.? After making the heart and the arrow I just played a bit with a circle shape and got something that more or less resembles a butterfly which isn't perfect yet.

Vector Workshop day 1- heart.jpg

Vector Workshop day 1-arrow.jpg

Vector Workshop day 1- butterfly.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 9

4 hours ago, fiona cook said:

Hi,  I find manipulating the nodes awkward too so as some of us are saying, practice is the way forward. My first attempts produced more of a biological shape than the love icon but then I found having the guidelines active made it easier for positioning. Still not fully clear on the difference between the nodes so will have to go over the tute again.

Lesson1.jpg

Ohhhh, another wounded heart, Fiona ?.
Guidelines are often a real good method for positioning.

• Like 1

Finally, I have five minutes to read the  first lesson email, and came up with this for the  heart shape, whilst having a bite to eat.  I'll do the arrow  this evening. I didn't check out what participants have  already posted,  until after I  posted mine.  Great work everyone, each one  is different, and inspiring. 

I decided to create a gold  heart shaped pendant for a necklace. After creating  the heart, duplicate, resize,  created the  chain link.  Merge  visible to a new layer. Added some gem stones.

Image2.jpg

• Like 8
  • WOW 3
  • Love 10

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Now there's a good idea! I'll have to try your "breaking heart" Libera. I had a lot of trouble with the arrow, myself. As you can see, it ended up as an arrowhead??

Don't worry about your "arrowhead", Ann, it looks very creative !!
For the breaking heart, only pen tool and "draw lines and polylines"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Libera, I can't speak for Cristina on how she did it. Assuming she used a  ready made paper. Open  it in PSP,   using the selection tool, select inside the heart, expand by  one or two pixels, then on a new layer go to patterns, make the necessary  size etc adjustments, and flood fill, deselect, and move  it below the heart.  If she created the text paper herself, then  the same would apply.

I got something totally different in my mind. I'm interested in your description, I tried a similar way but I have to find the error I made.
I realize that I have lost a lot of practice since the last half year....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

I increased the size of the nodes to medium. The small nodes are hard to see.

I could not find where to change the size of the nodes in PSP 2019, and I was seeing different things than Carole was showing in the video, so I switched to PSP 2020 and I didn't bother to look for where to change the node size because I was already frustrated......I worked with vectors in the "Beginners Workshop" several years ago. It was challenging then too. Some of it I remember, but not much.

1 minute ago, Linda J Walker said:

I could not find where to change the size of the nodes in PSP 2019, and I was seeing different things than Carole was showing in the video, so I switched to PSP 2020 and I didn't bother to look for where to change the node size because I was already frustrated......I worked with vectors in the "Beginners Workshop" several years ago. It was challenging then too. Some of it I remember, but not much.

It is listed just above the video tutorial. User interface > Node size > 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, libera said:

I got something totally different in my mind. I'm interested in your description, I tried a similar way but I have to find the error I made.
I realize that I have lost a lot of practice since the last half year....

There is always more than one way of doing anything  in PSP.  Perhaps you used a different technique, perhaps this one, place your heart on  a paper layer,  select outside the heart,  expand by a pixel or two and then delete, you will get the same result.  I'm not at the laptop at the  moment, I'm outside.  Try  both of those   techniques. By the way,  whether you use contiguous checked or not, will determine whether you invert or not.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I learned some great new things in this first lesson. The heart and the arrow turned out to be easier to make than to make the image tell a story. I know that wasn't in the lesson by it was a fun way to spend the afternoon in the cool indoors. It's way too hot outside right now for gardening, etc.   

Arrow thru the heart 599.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Love 8

I had fun playing around with this!  I used several layers to create my heart and arrow.  The biggest problem I had was how to switch layers and then select the vector graphic so that the  nodes were active.  Looking forward to the upcoming vector classes.

Heart-Arrow.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 8

8 minutes ago, SHARON HUGHES said:

Ok, I have been looking for the workshop trying to find the first 1 lesson all day is there a clue to finding it. 

Did you not receive the email with the link? Did you get the confirmation email?

• Thanks 1

I'm laughing so hard I can barely use the PSP tools! What looks so easy when Carole does a vector turns out to be some weird shape for me! I thought the heart shape would be a piece of cake....hah! This is what I got first. I needed to laugh today.

first vector heart.JPG

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 9
  • Haha 9
  • WOW 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Did you not receive the email with the link? Did you get the confirmation email?

Thank you, Cassel, I finally found the email I had so many Forum messages it was hard to find this email. Now I can get started but will have to do it tomorrow and also tomorrow's lesson together. 

• Like 2