Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

I am totally new, 10 days into the 30-day trial. I ran into some issues accessing the classes, but I have now had success, and what a great teacher Cassel is! I finished Monday's lesson and created my arrow and heart. Tomorrow I will try to catch up. I know my shapes are pretty basic, but I am happy that I am learning how to use the program.heart2.jpg.cf12b99f1996ee8b9aaaf0f9812a95bc.jpg 

• Like 10
  • WOW 1
  • Love 8

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I made my shapes in purple so they stand out in the shapes folder when I export them and then made them a bit more fancy.

Carole I have a question: In this lesson you told us how to export those shapes and I did as in the lesson, so I have label01and label02 who I have given the name ck-label01 and ck-label02 in the Vector Property box. The labels 03,04 and 05 where exported together with the name ck-labels for the Vector Property box. (ck is my prefix) Is there a possibility to bring the label 01 and 02 in the same Vector Property called labels. Or is it impossible to change that once they are exported?

Vector Workshop day 2-600.jpg

These are lovely Corrie, more importantly they are all symmetrical. ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

After working on this for a long time, I succeeded, and also to save them as basic shapes in 1 file, but I still struggle a lot with those nodes. I'll have to practice a lot!

mclp_Vector_Worksh_23_07_labels600.jpg

Nicely done,  I love the fill you used, with  matching borders

• Like 5

It's hard to follow the lesson when you have to keep stopping to assist a needy husband.? I finally finished. I'm not happy with the leaf. I tried to make a texture from a picture of one of my leaves. I hope you will cover how to make the lines on a leaf and flower. As you can see, my lines were too straight. The starfish texture was generated in Adobe Express. The sunglasses were originally black, but when I created them from my preset shapes, I had the starfish texture and color in my material palette and decided that I liked it. The stroke in the label was made in Procreate.

ds3vectors.jpg

dsvector1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 5

18 hours ago, Cristina said:

Hi Libera,

The one you saw before was a Customized Text Overlay and was based on the Lab 5- Module 9 (Text Background Paper).

For this one, I used the pattern that comes with PSP. There are 5 Text patterns in English and 5 "Texte" patterns in French (right your alley ?). In this case, I used the Text 1 pattern.

About the technique, Sue Thomas explained it in a much better way than I would have thought. The details are important, and I never think of mentioning them...Thank you, Sue! Your work is, as always, beautiful!

Cristina, it took me ages to find this comment, anyway, thank you ever so much for your kind words. Likewise,  what you have submitted is beautiful too, and typical of your style, which I love so much. There several contributors on here that I can identify  by their unique styles, you being one of them. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Donna Sillia said:

It's hard to follow the lesson when you have to keep stopping to assist a needy husband.? I finally finished. I'm not happy with the leaf. I tried to make a texture from a picture of one of my leaves. I hope you will cover how to make the lines on a leaf and flower. As you can see, my lines were too straight. The starfish texture was generated in Adobe Express. The sunglasses were originally black, but when I created them from my preset shapes, I had the starfish texture and color in my material palette and decided that I liked it. The stroke in the label was made in Procreate.

ds3vectors.jpg

dsvector1.jpg

These are super cool Donna! 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, rjay segura said:

Hi good stuff. Mine got a little wonkie also and i noticed for some reason that the vector changed to open ...so i clicked the close vector button and it went away.

Image1.jpg

I have seen it say 'open' and 'close' and I don't know why or what it means. Maybe in an upcoming lesson?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjay segura said:

Hi good stuff. Mine got a little wonkie also and i noticed for some reason that the vector changed to open ...so i clicked the close vector button and it went away.

When you draw with the Pen tool, the path is always open UNTIL you close it. When you use a rectangle, a circle or most other shapes, they are already closed.

In fact, if you were to use a closed shape/path, and delete ONE node, you will "open the path", just like removing one post on a fence, where the chain will "drop" and not stay in place.

• Like 3

@sharon thompson Better late than never. Your first practice looks great.

@Anita Wyatt When you say you get "two nodes" are you also getting the whole bounding box? If so, let me send you a message so I can try to address or document it.

@Susan Ewart I will also send you a message about the "two nodes" issue. And yes, practice is important! The weird point on the heart is probably due to the angle of the control arms; one might be more vertical and longer than the other.

@Mary Solaas That arrow is great. You used a lot of nodes for it!

@Cristina I think the text paper you are using comes from one script, and it is not from PSP itself. Maybe you will start to save those shapes to save time for future projects!

@Carolyn Rye As a first try, it is very good. I made sure to make the practices simple, yet useful. Keep it up!

@Michele For anyone who prefers symmetry, the guides and grids are essential! Great work.

@James BradyGreat start. That dotted outline on the heart gives it character!

@Sheila Hogg You are definitely having fun with those leaves. That is perfect because it means you are practicing!

@Sharla Will you keep that burgundy color as your signature color for shapes? Thanks for sharing that tip about hiding the shape to leave the nodes only.

@fiona cookI also like to select a raster layer if I want to work on a vector that will be separate from what is already there.

@Linda J WalkerGreat start. Whatever shape you get, you got practice with those nodes. Nothing fancy for your labels, but who knows if you can use them in an upcoming project? 

@libera I hope you are not too lost! And you are a little ahead of the lessons with that text along the path! You'll have more projects to work on.

@Lynda DiGregor Welcome back. No frill was needed, just practice and that is just what you did.

@Sue Thomas Yes, it is rare to find .pspShape files in digital stores. Now, you can create your own and reuse them later. Once drawn, they can easily be customized further so no two labels can be the same.

@Theresa Di Cesare I am glad you enjoyed the lesson. You will have plenty of practice during the whole workshop. You started very well!

@Marie-Claire Handling nodes is a little like learning to juggle (although I still have not been able to juggle AT ALL, I am ok with nodes!)

@Leslie Gifford Cook Better late than never and you will have time to catch up. Good start for that first lesson.

@Deana Davis Don't worry. You will catch up soon enough. Great start. Will you be using pink as your signature color?

@Corrie Kinkel I love your use of purple as a signature color. As for the naming, I did answer in a separate post.

@Art Kuiper It might not be a heart or an arrow, but that curling rock is very identifiable. I used to curl along with my husband and father-in-law and my daughter did too.

@Marvin Fojtasek Don't feel inadequate. This lesson is meant to practice. Nobody will end up making complex logos from these lessons! That is not the purpose but gives some useful practice.

@Bonnie Ballentine You know how much practice is important, whether in sports or in PSP! ?

@Cindy Lawrence I guess I reached my goal of handling nodes to create something basic. I don't want to complicate things from the get-go!

@Donna Sillia I won't have a lesson specifically about adding lines on flowers or leaves, but using the Pen tool and what you know about nodes, you might be able to play around.

@rjay segura I don't find that shape wonky at all. I can definitely see it used as a fancy jar label.

@Connie Collier Great and varied shapes!

Keep it up. Tomorrow, we'll have even more practice. I am looking forward to your projects.

If you have not posted your assignments for lessons 1 and 2, it is never too late!

• Thanks 4

11 hours ago, libera said:

"For this one", which one? Did you place another heart, I can't see it...

For this one, I meant the heart I posted filled with the text pattern. I didn't create it myself; I just used the pattern that comes with PSP. ? 

Edit: Now I know better; Carole said the Text Patterns are from one of her scripts and not from PSP.

Edited by Cristina

9 hours ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Hello everyone,

It's good to be back at the computer. It's been hectic around here. First a shoulder replacement (another one to come), then the sale of our house. It sold in 4 days and we had to be out in 26 days. We are now living in our RV waiting for our new house to be built. We're in Sycamore RV Park in Illinois for about 5 weeks, so now a bit of down time. Yay!

I was able to do the first Vector lesson today. No frills, just the lesson. Time for number 2!

Hi Lynda,  good to see you are back!

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

I think the text paper you are using comes from one script, and it is not from PSP itself. Maybe you will start to save those shapes to save time for future projects!

Oh, I didn't realize that.  So, that's why there is a French version! ??

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

Sharon, I'll send you a message. You should not get that, but a handful of people are getting it and I suspect it is a bug. I would like to document that, if you don't mind.

I am struggling with Lesson #2 - my rectangle is misbehaving and I'm probably missing a step, maybe. I deleted my first attempt and even opened a new image but now when I draw my rectangle it appears with rounded corners! So, going with that, if I add the side node and attempt to stretch it out, the entire rounded rectangle moves over. And then, when I try again, nodes appear on all sides and corners... aarrgghh! I'm working in PSP 2022.

1 hour ago, Cristina said:

Carole, how do you tag someone as you do in your comments, or is this an administrator feature only?

You type in the @, and then, you type their name. Typically, and a drop-down list will appear. If it does not, it is because I typed too fast, so I will redo it. 

• Like 4