Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

Hello everyone, hope you're all well.

Have signed up for the workshop and got the registration confirmation, but as yet have not been sent an email to take part. Some excellent vectors being posted already. I'm in the UK and its 5:40pm, so don't know if that has something to do with it. 

Looking forward to posting my vector shapes from the workshop. Hoping to start posting more in the forums as I have a bit more time to experiment with PSP etc.

Thank you in advance for any clarity on the workshop email.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Here I'm beginning with my breaking heart  ?! Arrow later on, suddenly I battle with this, don't know exactly why, have to start it again....

Thanks Carole for the excellent video! There was already an AHAAAA effect ?!

heart-600.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Love 7

Hi,  I find manipulating the nodes awkward too so as some of us are saying, practice is the way forward. My first attempts produced more of a biological shape than the love icon but then I found having the guidelines active made it easier for positioning. Still not fully clear on the difference between the nodes so will have to go over the tute again.

Lesson1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 8

5 minutes ago, libera said:

Here I'm beginning with my breaking heart  ?! Arrow later on, suddenly I battle with this, don't know exactly why, have to start it again....

Thanks Carole for the excellent video! There was already an AHAAAA effect ?!

heart-600.jpg

Now there's a good idea! I'll have to try your "breaking heart" Libera. I had a lot of trouble with the arrow, myself. As you can see, it ended up as an arrowhead??

• Like 1

Hey, Jen, Welcome to the group!

I just logged on to say the arrow was is very difficult - for one thing, my colors went back to the heart colors, even though I changed them from red to blue. Secondly, I always, always have trouble getting the line to LET GO. STOP adding, whatever the term is. It won't stop adding segments.

So my arrow looks more like a Japanese kite or an origami bird than an arrow and I have to start over. But you'd be proud Carole, I'm using those Guide Lines!

I want to remind people that they can save their hearts and arrows to their presets shapes so they can use them again and again. File--> Export --> Shape or Preset Shape.  If "shape" is grayed out, get rid of any raster layers, like the one on the bottom.  Then steer the save to the proper folder where you stash your psp shapes.  Also give it a name, one that makes sense, like your first name and then "first heart", "broken heart", "glitter heart", "bio heart", or whatever. My first name starts with an S so it's way down there, alphabetically speaking, so I use ASuzy to get it up top.  (And Carole I'm sorry if I stole your thunder from a later session, but my heart is world class & I wanted to save it - I thought other people might want to save theirs, too.)

Edited to add --

Monique, We are having poor air quality days here from the Canadian wildfires, and have to stay in - well, let's just say I'm not outside for any length of time.  We are not forbidden to leave home or anything.

I know how to do this in theory, but the very beginning gets me frustrated every time. I keep forgetting to change to the pen tool, and then my nodes never show up. Maybe this session will fix that for me.

Suzy Heart.jpg

Arrow 600.jpg

Edited by Suzy
  • Like 10
  • Love 7

3 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Secondly, I always, always have trouble getting the line to LET GO. STOP adding, whatever the term is. It won't stop adding segments.

You likely have one little checkbox checked: Connect segments. We will NEED it tomorrow, but if you don't want to keep adding to the existing line, then you need to UNCHECK it.

And yes, tomorrow we will start with the Exporting. If anything, participants could have just saved a .pspimage version until the time I show exactly how to export.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I'm not so good at "eyeballing it," as Rachel Ray would say, so I worked with guides to help. BTW - Thank you, Carole, for the lesson on guides!

I often created nodes that were adjacent to each other. For the most part, it worked in my favor to refine the shape. Is there a way to merge them when everything is in place? I seem to remember it being mentioned in one of the masterclasses. 

GNL_Day1_Heart_600.jpg

GNL_Day1_Arrow_600.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 4

Hi everyone,
The heart went easy, but then suddenly with the arrow I couldn't do it with the nodes anymore. But the persistence wins. The difference between the nodes symmetric, asymmetric and cusp has now become clearer to me after this explanation. Thank you Carole !

mclp_Vector_Worksh_23_07_Arr_Hart_600.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 6

I have made a heart, and an arrow!

And nodes are STILL frustrating!

And remembering to switch to the Pen tool IS important!

I am not posting anything today, because I am going to wait for Carole to give the Exporting directions tomorrow?  I hope to have more time to be frustrated tomorrow ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

Hey, Jen, Welcome to the group!

I just logged on to say the arrow was is very difficult - for one thing, my colors went back to the heart colors, even though I changed them from red to blue. Secondly, I always, always have trouble getting the line to LET GO. STOP adding, whatever the term is. It won't stop adding segments.

So my arrow looks more like a Japanese kite or an origami bird than an arrow and I have to start over. But you'd be proud Carole, I'm using those Guide Lines!

I want to remind people that they can save their hearts and arrows to their presets shapes so they can use them again and again. File--> Export --> Shape or Preset Shape.  If "shape" is grayed out, get rid of any raster layers, like the one on the bottom.  Then steer the save to the proper folder where you stash your psp shapes.  Also give it a name, one that makes sense, like your first name and then "first heart", "broken heart", "glitter heart", "bio heart", or whatever. My first name starts with an S so it's way down there, alphabetically speaking, so I use ASuzy to get it up top.  (And Carole I'm sorry if I stole your thunder from a later session, but my heart is world class & I wanted to save it - I thought other people might want to save theirs, too.)

Edited to add --

Monique, We are having poor air quality days here from the Canadian wildfires, and have to stay in - well, let's just say I'm not outside for any length of time.  We are not forbidden to leave home or anything.

I know how to do this in theory, but the very beginning gets me frustrated every time. I keep forgetting to change to the pen tool, and then my nodes never show up. Maybe this session will fix that for me.

Suzy Heart.jpg

Arrow 600.jpg

Thanks for the reminder that you can save your shapes!

• Like 2

Still experimenting. It is difficult to make the shape symmetrical. I used some guides which helped, but it still took a long time for something that is still a little off. I used the barbed wire line since it can look like stars. I could not resist using my new custom confetti script. 

dschristmasheart.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

30 minutes ago, Linda J Walker said:

I have made a heart, and an arrow!

And nodes are STILL frustrating!

And remembering to switch to the Pen tool IS important!

I am not posting anything today, because I am going to wait for Carole to give the Exporting directions tomorrow?  I hope to have more time to be frustrated tomorrow ?

I increased the size of the nodes to medium. The small nodes are hard to see.

8 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

It is not on 0, when I change it to 0.  When I manipulate the nods It jumps back on 130 both horizontal and vertical. And again round edges.

Those nodes will no longer behave like that, once you Convert to path.

Does it happen before or after you converted to path?

• Like 1

First off, thank you Cassel for sorting the email problem out. Much appreciated ?

I have tried many times previously to understand nodes and vectors and I'm glad to say, I actually think I 'understood' it (kind of?) Time will tell, but I will keep practising. I don't think my first effort is too bad, but I did keep 'making' extra nodes, and also on the arrow it came up with 'merge' when I added a node. Not sure what I did to do that, or even how I got out of it - once you click and click again, and then maybe again - it sorts itself out without the understanding of the why's and how's ?

It's quite a fun activity playing around with shapes etc, and definitely addictive. Looking forward to Lesson 2 ?

arrow and heart vector.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 8