Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

3 minutes ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Hello everyone,

It's good to be back at the computer. It's been hectic around here. First a shoulder replacement (another one to come), then the sale of our house. It sold in 4 days and we had to be out in 26 days. We are now living in our RV waiting for our new house to be built. We're in Sycamore RV Park in Illinois for about 5 weeks, so now a bit of down time. Yay!

I was able to do the first Vector lesson today. No frills, just the lesson. Time for number 2!

Heart 600px.jpg

Arrow 600px.jpg

Wow! Lynda, so good to have you back.  I had been wondering what adventures you have been on.  Looks like some that were not what you had in mind.  Hope your recovery is speedy and goes well.   

• Like 1

Day 2 of the vector workshop. I used all of the techniques demonstrated in the 2 videos, and  a few more, which I'm sure will be demonstrated  throughout the week. For those that may be interested,  I will often see a label or a tag that I like, invariably, they are either PNG or JPeg.  I will take a screenshot, creating my own vector version.  

Lesson 2c.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-18 143814.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-18 143640.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 10

25 minutes ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Hello everyone,

It's good to be back at the computer. It's been hectic around here. First a shoulder replacement (another one to come), then the sale of our house. It sold in 4 days and we had to be out in 26 days. We are now living in our RV waiting for our new house to be built. We're in Sycamore RV Park in Illinois for about 5 weeks, so now a bit of down time. Yay!

I was able to do the first Vector lesson today. No frills, just the lesson. Time for number 2!

Heart 600px.jpg

Arrow 600px.jpg

Hi Linda, great to see you again. I missed you around the Campus! A shoulder replacement sounds scary! Hope your healing up is quick. ?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Excellent Lesson 2 Carole, thoroughly enjoyed it ?

There is some wonderful work on these pages. I have done the very basics in doing my shapes, but I will be practising more and more, especially with node placement and the clicking on them to get the arms of the node types. I have read through many of the posts, and thank you to the participants who suggested the grids etc, made it a lot easier to deal with the symmetry of the shapes. And when using a few shapes, centring each one greatly helps.

I love that you can export many images into one file and then see them come up individually in the preset shape menu.

Anyways, here are my first attempts at the shapes, but there will be a lot of fun to be had with getting a bit creative as I practice more.

shapes.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

Yeah, that is a little annoying. I think we always tend to go faster and go with CLICK-move. We probably need to CLICK   -   move. Notice that the node will become black when it is selected (and ready to be moved).

That's how I do it after some trial and error! I often go to fast and I slowed down and that solved the problem! Glad I did it the right way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Hello everyone,

Heart 600px.jpg

Arrow 600px.jpg

Lynda good to see you back, I was wondering what was happening to you! Sorry to hear of your shoulders, hope your new house will be build quickly.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Day 2 of the vector workshop. I used all of the techniques demonstrated in the 2 videos, and  a few more, which I'm sure will be demonstrated  throughout the week. For those that may be interested,  I will often see a label or a tag that I like, invariably, they are either PNG or JPeg.  I will take a screenshot, creating my own vector version.  

Lesson 2c.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-18 143814.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-18 143640.jpg

Sue as always very inspirational, but I can see that I will have to practice a lot!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I made my shapes in purple so they stand out in the shapes folder when I export them and then made them a bit more fancy.

Carole I have a question: In this lesson you told us how to export those shapes and I did as in the lesson, so I have label01and label02 who I have given the name ck-label01 and ck-label02 in the Vector Property box. The labels 03,04 and 05 where exported together with the name ck-labels for the Vector Property box. (ck is my prefix) Is there a possibility to bring the label 01 and 02 in the same Vector Property called labels. Or is it impossible to change that once they are exported?

Vector Workshop day 2-600.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 2

This is not the most accurate image of a curling rock but as a lesson in exporting vector shapes it does the trick. I love all the submissions. They qualify as lesson 2a because I learn as well from the great images that are sent in. Bonus!!! 

Curling Rock.jpg

• Like 16
  • WOW 1
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Carole I have a question: In this lesson you told us how to export those shapes and I did as in the lesson, so I have label01and label02 who I have given the name ck-label01 and ck-label02 in the Vector Property box. The labels 03,04 and 05 where exported together with the name ck-labels for the Vector Property box. (ck is my prefix) Is there a possibility to bring the label 01 and 02 in the same Vector Property called labels. Or is it impossible to change that once they are exported?

That is a very good question. I had never tried. After testing, here is what you will have to do:

- open the FILE in question (the one that will include all the shapes you had exported)
- add the "missing" labels/groups to that file
- re-export the same way. You will likely get a popup reminding you that the Shape library already exists. Say OK.
- then, you will get another warning about duplicate shapes. Click Continue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Marvin Fojtasek said:

My lesson 2 submissions. I feel so inadequate when I see so many better examples.

fojt-Label01_600.jpg

fojt-Label02_600.jpg

fojt-Label03_600.jpg

fojt-Labels_600.jpg

Don't  feel that way, we have all had to start  at the beginning. Just focus on what you'll  be able to achieve with practice, and hopefully we will  have inspired you to persevere with our submissions.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Grrrrrrr........... I am doing something wrong but not sure what. I keep getting that bounding box with all the original rectangular nodes no matter what I do. I can round the edges but when I try and add nodes to draw out the sides, the bounding box reappears. I am even getting ghost nodes and ghost bounding boxes in my workspace outside my image. I have backtracked on and deleted so many images that my frustration level is so high that even dark chocolate won't help. Going to bed. Will try again in the morning. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, sharon thompson said:

Grrrrrrr........... I am doing something wrong but not sure what. I keep getting that bounding box with all the original rectangular nodes no matter what I do. I can round the edges but when I try and add nodes to draw out the sides, the bounding box reappears. I am even getting ghost nodes and ghost bounding boxes in my workspace outside my image. I have backtracked on and deleted so many images that my frustration level is so high that even dark chocolate won't help. Going to bed. Will try again in the morning.

Sharon, I'll send you a message. You should not get that, but a handful of people are getting it and I suspect it is a bug. I would like to document that, if you don't mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Sharon, I'll send you a message. You should not get that, but a handful of people are getting it and I suspect it is a bug. I would like to document that, if you don't mind.

That's happening to me, too. I tried resetting to the original, but that didn't work.

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Love 1