Text Workshop 2023

Cassel

Day 5 : it's not really a scrapbook page, but I didn't like everything I tried, so I tried something else ?
Template : Carole Cassel
Instead of papers, I used on the bottom layer  the effects - texture effects - soft plastic
on the second a blend mode
The font is Poplar Std
large.23_03_Text_Workshop_05_600.jpg.a749eaaf7b3317877b5d7619726423a9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 14

11 hours ago, nadine said:

I'm not too happy with the rendering of my letters on this last day .... I think that the photo chosen is not ideal, with the dark on the J of JEU (game). Or maybe the chosen font??? mystery ... but I did several tests and I admit that, oops, I believe that I do not like this effect at all, sorry. All the other technical proposals, I really loved, but there ... I can't seem to like the rendering. It's just a matter of taste LOL. But the technique is not to be ousted. I will definitely do more tests. Maybe I'll find another way to use it.

all credits on my gallery

large.B57_ThriftyTreasuresByKitdTpByCassel600.jpg.09d6bd25e15d489e2c67ef0e73140062.jpg

Nadine: I know what you mean. I often feel so disappointed and dissatisfied with my layouts after I've spent hours on them! In the beginning, I think I have a good idea, and it goes downhill after that! But I think your finished project is great!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Well, I did complete workshop 6 and will go on to 7 today also.  Not too happy with my last couple of layouts - however, the different ways to use text have been interesting.  With this one I used a pattern in the letters instead of a color - it was interesting resizing the layout - the zebra pattern didn't want to resize; so I had to close the jpg and then call it forward again - and this time the zebra pattern also resized.  The ribbon on the tag is from PS - Gina Jones; the rest of the elements are my own.  I think the font I used for the Zoo was something Big Chunk.

At The Zoo-workshop 6_600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 15

Finally completed Day 7.  The photos are of my youngest grandson, who by the way, is now a teenager. 

Found this one, for some reason, hard.  It is still not my best attempt but after two attempts, have given it a go. 

I am definitely not good at scrapbooking.  Needless to say, I have learned a lot thanks to Carole.  I have absolutely enjoyed all 7 Days.

TextWorkshop-7 Happywith notes.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 5

I'm done in.  Workshop 7.  Changed many times, but this is what I finally came up with.  I'll post it and then I have to restart my computer as I overloaded it working on this.  The font is Dragon Kids from Creative Fabrica.  The lower cluster is from PS - Jessica Dunn.

Let's Eat-workshop 7_600.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 6

15 minutes ago, Louyse Toupin said:

Here is my Workshop #6: Spring is here, this is the name of the song from Carly Simons, the scrap kit is 

Extraordinary Bundled Collection by Artgal Style and he title is made with the font: Showcard Gothic with a rose rope vector script.

Carly Simons.jpg

WOW! It's a triple play! You covered one text workshop, the song of the month and the freebie, all in one! Nice - congrats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, Louyse Toupin said:

Here is my Workshop #6: Spring is here, this is the name of the song from Carly Simons, the scrap kit is 

Extraordinary Bundled Collection by Artgal Style and he title is made with the font: Showcard Gothic with a rose rope vector script.

Carly Simons.jpg

Many years ago I was on ArtGal Style's creative team so I have a lot of her kits. Although she retired all of them when PlainDigital Wrapper closed down and only moved her newer kits to her new shop at GoDigitalScrapbooking. She is a sweet person and still creates really nice kits!

Nice layout.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Trying to get caught up. Here is Day 6. There are many things that didn't work out well, but sometimes that has to be good enough. Photo is from my garden a few years ago. The cheerful and welcome little crocus.

The title is done with a small colored ball and the vector tube script. It filled each letter entirely....oh well. I wanted colour, and I got colour! (I used American spelling on the layout.)

Texting Day 6_600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 12

6 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Trying to get caught up. Here is Day 6. There are many things that didn't work out well, but sometimes that has to be good enough. Photo is from my garden a few years ago. The cheerful and welcome little crocus.

The title is done with a small colored ball and the vector tube script. It filled each letter entirely....oh well. I wanted colour, and I got colour! (I used American spelling on the layout.)

Texting Day 6_600.jpg

Nice colors, Julie! ?

• Like 2
  • Love 2

All the best intentions go flying out of the window when flu visits. It started just about the same time as the Text workshop was ready to go. I thought I might get a bit behind but I have never felt so unwell for many years so was unable to participate as planned. However, not wanting sympathy as eventually I will get better but just wanted to say I have enjoyed seeing every bodies work, some lovely results. Stay safe and well everyone.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

On 3/26/2023 at 10:49 PM, Cassel said:

@Gerry Landreth Yes, picture tubes do have some settings that can be changed to get different effects. Isn't is fun to accidentally find something new?

@Carolyn Rye Glad you are enjoying yourself. I think you rotated the text a little more than the 5 degrees that was suggested. When you get more comfortable, you will be able to add shadows on the various papers and elements.

@Corrie Kinkel Perfect choice of color for the rope around the text. I was actually hesitant to offer the Build-A-Kit workshop at the same time as another one, but I figured that since it was not as intense, participants can pick and choose what to work on.

@MoniqueN.As others have mentioned, add the shadow and see the difference for yourself. Although it might not look like much when you add it, it shows clearly when you don't have it. The technique on day 7 is not something that is typical, but if you ever have a nice landscape image, it might be perfect for that technique.

@Louyse Toupin Glad that you managed to use the text on the path. May I suggest that you move the text a little to the left so it does not overlap the photo?

@Bonnie Ballentine I see you also used multiple fonts in the title for the Sandy layout. Did you forget the shadows on the cat photos? Never a dull moment looking at your projects either! ? On the title, I see that the pickleballs are "uneven". Is that intended? If so, no problem. If no, you might need to change the setting for Placement mode from Random to Continuous. That is a setting that is often overlooked.

@Anne Lamp Glad to see at least some of your projects. If you finish them later, the thread will still be open for you to post.

@Susan Ewart You won't be without work for very long. Hint, hint. Another workshop will come in April and something else for Easter. All those techniques will probably show up in upcoming projects?

@Rene Marker That is a good font for that project and shows enough of the image.

@Hank Sobah Spring will come... eventually!

@Ann Seeber What a great story and you showcased it well too.

@Marie-Claire Happy birthday Poncho!

@Linda Hitt You did great by using the technique on individual letters. It is more work, but the result is worth it!

@Donna Sillia That is a great idea to put the letters vertically to showcase that photo!

@Alice Daniel Glad to see you post projects. Keep them coming. Practice will help.

Although today is officially the last day of the workshop, you still have 7 more days to access the tutorials and continue posting your projects in the thread. DIAMOND members don't need to rush as you have permanent access to the tutorials.

Keep it up!

Sure hope Spring springs up soon! 

• Like 2

Day 7. Done. The text says "marina" in case it's not easily readable. I find it's often a bit challenging to read the letters when they are cut out as pictures. The photo is mine of the lovely marina we have in our small town on Lake St. Clair (not a Great Lake officially, but part of the system).

I really enjoyed this series of lessons and prompts. I used techniques I wasn't familiar with and got a bit improved in some of those. Thanks Carole. Having your templates was a great help as well.

I don't do scrapbooking, but I do enjoy just creating layouts for birthdays or other things. Mainly, PSP helps me work with old photos to make them better quality for my history and genealogy projects.

Texting Day 7_600.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 6

9 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Day 7. Done. The text says "marina" in case it's not easily readable. I find it's often a bit challenging to read the letters when they are cut out as pictures. The photo is mine of the lovely marina we have in our small town on Lake St. Clair (not a Great Lake officially, but part of the system).

I really enjoyed this series of lessons and prompts. I used techniques I wasn't familiar with and got a bit improved in some of those. Thanks Carole. Having your templates was a great help as well.

I don't do scrapbooking, but I do enjoy just creating layouts for birthdays or other things. Mainly, PSP helps me work with old photos to make them better quality for my history and genealogy projects.

Texting Day 7_600.jpg

I think if you put a border around the letters, they would be more legible. There are several methods you can use, but one of the easier ones is to use the magic wand with contiguous unchecked, invert selection, then select selection borders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Marie-Claire: How did you achieve those nice borders on the letters? Yours really stand out the most!

i didn't do anything special Ann. I see above your post that Michele has already posted the explanation. That's how I did it. The magic wand with contiguous unchecked, invert selection, then selection borders. then filled with the color black and then a shadow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Michele said:

I think if you put a border around the letters, they would be more legible. There are several methods you can use, but one of the easier ones is to use the magic wand with contiguous unchecked, invert selection, then select selection borders.

Thanks Michelle. I did what you pointed out, and it's a bit better. Can't be bothered to reduce & save again to post it a second time. But I'm really glad you pointed out this technique to me.

• Like 2