Text Workshop 2023

Cassel

39 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

OMG! I love this.  I worked on Race Horse/Thoroughbred breeding farm.  I still love horses.  He is a beautiful horse, I alway loved the bays over the chestnuts  Have you ever seen the movie Pharlap?  And the one called War Horse, it broke my husband and I to see what this horse went through.  If we'd known (particularly the barbed wire scene) what we'd see we'd have never watched it.  

Actually, he was never considered well built. He has an ewe neck, for starters. I think he sold as a colt for $20. LOL

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

cpjess, apjess (is this the same person as cpjess)

Yes, all is the same person )))
Jessica Dunn - Antebellum Press - ap- cpjess - apjess
she change her designer's name several times ))))) She is "The Curio Pantry" (name of her blog) ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nadine said:

Yes, all is the same person )))
Jessica Dunn - Antebellum Press - ap- cpjess - apjess
she change her designer's name several times ))))) She is "The Curio Pantry" (name of her blog) ?

Wow, thank you.  She is a woman who wears many hats!  More better for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Is it really rotated? I thought it was cut at an angle (5%?) 

Yes, it was probably cut on an angle but you can rotate to try to match the actual angle. Just did it on some layouts I was working on using the Pick tool. What I was working on was easier to rotate with the pick tool than the free rotate tool because it wasn't even a 1% angle. And, I wasn't trying to get an exact match, just wanted the photos to fit the spot better. Didn't want to cut off a dog's nose in one photo!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I'm with you on that! I just play around either with the pick tool or Free rotate guessing at numbers. But with Carole making the template, she probably chose what percent to rotate the paper.

I use the straighten tool to find out the angle of anything,  the angle used  will be in the tool bar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Day 6. Below the left and the bottom paper I placed a second paper and used the blendmode to saturation (left) and darken (bottom) with an opacity to 90 - 95%. I like how I can get a different look with the same papers and it still has nice matching colors with everything in my kit. The font is Groovy Yellow and I have a rope tube in a set by Carole that perfectly matches the orchid.

TextWorkshop-6-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 11

I want to mimic the example. I used Expand Selection, but the selection is offset. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: Before I hit SUBMIT, I realized the first question would be about what version I was using, which reminded me to test it in another version. It works in PSP 2022 but does not work in PSP 2023. More often, I have to revert back to PSP 2022. 

GNL-TheCatFont.jpg

GNL-ExpandSelection.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I want to mimic the example. I used Expand Selection, but the selection is offset. What am I doing wrong?

It looks like a buggy patch. Check your version number under Help > About. If your version is 25.1.0.28, you have the buggy patch. The only way to solve that is to uninstall and reinstall PSP and the version number will become 25.1.0.32. This was a documented bug when patch 1 was automatically applied.

10 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Day 5 is done. Those are acorns in case they are not very clear in the reduced size. Never use them to feed critters, but used 'em here! Photo taken not that long ago. Crazy weather lately.

Texting Day 5 - 600.jpg

We had 2 albino squirrels long ago. Sadly, they didn't survive long. I did enjoy watching them they were here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Finally finished Day 6 project.  Used another picture taken by my daugther this time at the Air Force Air Show in Nevada last year (she had so many good ones it was hard to choose just one).  3 of the papers are from Marisa Lerin's Air Force Papers Kit and the other one I made.  The button was made from a stamp also from Marisa Lerin.

forum pic.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

For No 6, I used a photo that was sent to me by my grandson who spent 3 months in Southeast Asia, sightseeing and playing Rugby. I made a background of leaves using one of my kit papers, changing the brightness and contrast to each section. The orange flower was made when I was going through my flower making obsession. The tree is a tube, and the pineapple was created using Microsoft AI. I included the pineapple because David informed me that Thailand has huge pineapple farms. The font is Showcase Gothic outlined with Cass gimp tube with which I fell in love when browsing the store. The gold layer is a RB 80s gradient. 

Hidden600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

Day 5 is done. Those are acorns in case they are not very clear in the reduced size. Never use them to feed critters, but used 'em here! Photo taken not that long ago. Crazy weather lately.

Texting Day 5 - 600.jpg

HOly WoWzerS!  That is something to see.  How lucky you are.  I hope you can catch more good shots. If you knew is it was a 'she' you could call her Betty White.

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 1

Day 6.  As you can see I didn't use the  template. I used a  photo from last year, as I'm yet to get a shot of  one this year.  I thought I saw one  on Wednesday, and then  this morning I saw one at the top of our drive.  It's a bit early for them yet.  Slats script.  Text on a path using my own vector arrows.  Cassel's  bead tube around the  word Squirrel, and the dingbat corner elements. The label is mine, the gold element is also a font.

WiseWords-Template6.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW 1
  • Love 9

Day 6 and I'm caught up. Now to catch up in the Build A Kit workshop.  I really like all the templates we've gotten and this one I especially like.  I love that free Vector Tube script.  I got it a long time ago but had no idea how to use it until today.  What a great tool to have in the virtual toolbox.  I used the who photo (creative fabrica I think) as the back ground.  Putting a duplicate above each layer and used the magic wand and deleting, as we learned from the start. The moon photo is mine and the font is windows Gill Sans Ultr Bold, one of my favorites of the "fat" fonts.  That still makes me laugh to see that..."fat" fonts.  I used a gradient for the base paper.    

Text Workshop Lesson 6 Moonshine-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

It looks like a buggy patch. Check your version number under Help > About. If your version is 25.1.0.28, you have the buggy patch. The only way to solve that is to uninstall and reinstall PSP and the version number will become 25.1.0.32. This was a documented bug when patch 1 was automatically applied.

I'll try that. Thanks, and ugh! Chasing down bugs used to be fun 20 years ago.

@Gerry Landreth Those days will be back soon enough! That cat font is really cute!

@Lesley Maple Even without a texture, if you were to reduce the opacity a little bit, the overlap will show even more. But it does look good!

@Susan Ewart Yes, working with grey background can be annoying when highlighting text. I have had the same thing happen! I had never heard of white magpies! That moonshine layout is stunning in its simplicity!

@Carolyn Rye That is good to hear. Those workshops are often encouraging repetition to help learning!

@Ann Seeber As Sue has replied to you, if you use the Straighten tool, you can use it to "measure" an angle. I use that extensively when coding scripts and need to rotate pieces by a precise angle. The VectorTube script can be so versatile!!!

@Rene Marker This is a good example of how someone can keep information private: by hiding the specific layer, and still showcasing the technique worked!

@Hank Sobah Practice is the goal of all those workshops! I guess you are doing just that!

@nadine Your out-of-bound effect is stunning!!! Your use of artsy style is so well done. I think I am a bit jaleous!

@Mary Solaas I have plans for a Vector Workshop in the future. You will love it!

@Corrie Kinkel You might want to add a little bit more of a shadow on the outlining tube to give it more definition.

@Anja Pelzer Lovely memories. Well done.

@Julie MagerkaInteresting way to use a photo as a background. We don't see it all but we can guess it.

@Bonnie Ballentine We can very well recognize your smile in the top photo!!

@Linda Hitt Your choice of colors makes everything so well coordinated!

@Donna Sillia That orange flower certainly adds a splash of color!

@Sue Thomas What dingbat font are you using? That is a really fun design! Maybe there are other interesting ones in the set.

@Linda J Walker Hum.. I thought the rope tube was included in all newer versions. Do you have another version that might have that tube? The one you picked is obviously not the best. I remember there was a matching one without gaps. Do you have that one ?

• Like 2