Text Workshop 2023

Cassel

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I cut it out of the top paper, using the magic wand to select the letters and then hitting delete on the paper layer.

Gorgeous layout Susan! Love the colors, especially. I usually give my title letters the Effects/Cutout treatment and I think the result is the same with less work. I was surprised how easy the text on a curve turned out to be!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Carolyn Rye Glad to see you post your Day 4 project. Yes, PSP can be a massive program but with the support of this community, you are always in good hands. If you encounter any issue, don't hesitate to ask.

@kasany If you are not sure about the red on the text, you can remove it, however, being that the technique applies the effect to the letters individually, you will also have to remove the red one letter at a time. But it looks ok to me!

@Pirkko Seppälä That button you highlighted means that the second vertical "line" will be on the right. And yes, you should be able to use the Alignment the same way as for horizontal text.

@Lesley Maple, Rene beat me to it. The information in that article has been requested so many times!!!

@MoniqueN. If you overlap the letters a little, it will make the effect more visible!

@Rene Marker Nice title. That tiny overlap shows the transparency of the letters.

@Ann Seeber Even though the tutorial does not require a shadow, I see that you did, and that is because it made sense!

@Linda HittAdding a shadow would be a good idea for your title BUT you will notice that you would need to have the shadow on the letters separately to make a good effect, which means extra steps to separate each letter. If you can do it, it would work, but that is why I didn't show it. It is more work.

@Donna Sillia I think we could see your title more clearly if the background was a solid color. The color change in the second try definitely make the text show much better.

@Anja Pelzer I know you will catch up. Don't worry!

@Julie Magerka Your curve was smooth enough to leave the text easy to read.

@Corrie Kinkel Do you mean that you have to start collecting some thick fonts??? Beware! It can become addictive! Joking aside, you might want to gather a few good fat fonts for various projects. Check the suggestions in TheLab. We often have font duos where one is thicker and the other is thinner. They should all be free.

@Susan Ewart That is quite an interesting experience to document!

@Sue Thomas I always learn something about nature with you. Maybe you should connect with David Suzuki!!!

Carole, I agree with you. Red is a fine surprise here and looks very well with black fonts:)))

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Gorgeous layout Susan! Love the colors, especially. I usually give my title letters the Effects/Cutout treatment and I think the result is the same with less work. I was surprised how easy the text on a curve turned out to be!

Thank you for your compliments. I should try that, I've only used it making  the engraved metal and on the leather tag so I dont quite understand it yet.  I agree about text on a curve, once I tame that pen tool that is.?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you for your compliments. I should try that, I've only used it making  the engraved metal and on the leather tag so I dont quite understand it yet.  I agree about text on a curve, once I tame that pen tool that is.?

I hear ya! I had to re-do my line 4 times before it looked like a curve! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 4.  Text on a Path.  I like being reminded how to do text on a path.  At first I thought my Text too was out-to-lunch because I couldnt highlight the text.  Are you ready for a laugh...well, I had not put the paper in place of the grey holder spot so I couldnt see the text being highlighted because it was the same color. I put a temp paper in and there my text was, all highlighted and happy.  The temporary paper (yellow) I kept and added a texture effect.  The brown paper is from APJess-Furry cuddles (Digital Scrapbook) that I also added the Blinds texture.  The buttons are from Digital Scrapbook - I forget who.  Font is Stay Latte for the bottom and Mustard Med for the top, I cut it out of the top paper, using the magic wand to select the letters and then hitting delete on the paper layer...and initially forgot to hide the grey layer, another Duh moment.  

Text Workshop Lesson 4 The Path Taken-600.jpg

Absolutely love this, Susan.  The winding road pictures are my absolute favorite - it's exciting thinking about what's around the bend in the road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Carolyn Rye Glad to see you post your Day 4 project. Yes, PSP can be a massive program but with the support of this community, you are always in good hands. If you encounter any issue, don't hesitate to ask.

@kasany If you are not sure about the red on the text, you can remove it, however, being that the technique applies the effect to the letters individually, you will also have to remove the red one letter at a time. But it looks ok to me!

@Pirkko Seppälä That button you highlighted means that the second vertical "line" will be on the right. And yes, you should be able to use the Alignment the same way as for horizontal text.

@Lesley Maple, Rene beat me to it. The information in that article has been requested so many times!!!

@MoniqueN. If you overlap the letters a little, it will make the effect more visible!

@Rene Marker Nice title. That tiny overlap shows the transparency of the letters.

@Ann Seeber Even though the tutorial does not require a shadow, I see that you did, and that is because it made sense!

@Linda HittAdding a shadow would be a good idea for your title BUT you will notice that you would need to have the shadow on the letters separately to make a good effect, which means extra steps to separate each letter. If you can do it, it would work, but that is why I didn't show it. It is more work.

@Donna Sillia I think we could see your title more clearly if the background was a solid color. The color change in the second try definitely make the text show much better.

@Anja Pelzer I know you will catch up. Don't worry!

@Julie Magerka Your curve was smooth enough to leave the text easy to read.

@Corrie Kinkel Do you mean that you have to start collecting some thick fonts??? Beware! It can become addictive! Joking aside, you might want to gather a few good fat fonts for various projects. Check the suggestions in TheLab. We often have font duos where one is thicker and the other is thinner. They should all be free.

@Susan Ewart That is quite an interesting experience to document!

@Sue Thomas I always learn something about nature with you. Maybe you should connect with David Suzuki!!!

Carole, thank you and yes I will take a better look at the fonts in the Lab to get more fat fonts! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Carole: I just watched the video for Day 6, and you say: "for this particular template, if you are using it, you can rotate your title to match the line, but I can tell you that it was an angle of five degrees." My question is how do you know it was five degrees?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just exploring and learning about tools so no templates or designs. First workshop I've properly participated in, and I'm enjoying it.
Did I see somewhere you can download the text as I won't remember it all later.

lights.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Linda said:

Just exploring and learning about tools so no templates or designs. First workshop I've properly participated in, and I'm enjoying it.

lights.jpg

I have just read the initial email again and see that it actually says you can save the text, as in the text you have created. Silly me lol

23 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Carole: I just watched the video for Day 6, and you say: "for this particular template, if you are using it, you can rotate your title to match the line, but I can tell you that it was an angle of five degrees." My question is how do you know it was five degrees?

She then stated that she knows it is 5 degrees because she made the template.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Linda said:

If you are talking about the written instructions, they are available as a perk to the DIAMOND members only.

Day 6. Template is a really old one that is retired by Scrapping With Liz. The kit is Fired Up by Kristin Aagard available at The Lily Pad. I hid the journaling on the layout since it had personal information in it but the whole right side that is empty is filled with journaling. I used Showcard Gothic font for the title and the Rope tube.

text ws 2022 Rescue.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

3 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Absolutely love this, Susan.  The winding road pictures are my absolute favorite - it's exciting thinking about what's around the bend in the road.

I quite agree Mary.  You dont realize how far you've gone until you look at your watch or your stomach starts to growl and you have to turn back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 3/24/2023 at 4:28 AM, Cassel said:

@nadine That is such a great layout with so much energy!! You should share with her teacher!

Thank you very much @Cassel   Heuuu I don't know her teacher oops but maybe I'll give it to my son, and he will do what he wants ))))

Edited by nadine
  • Like 1

yay, Lesson 5 done and I'm catching up.  This white magpie I think is the progeny of the famous St. Albert White Magpie.  It lives in an area a bit aways from me.  Last this guy showed up for two days. I think it's a baby as it looks like there is still a little bit of pink around the corners of it's beek (mouth?) and the eye looks slightly blue.  Of course my camera was set to studion work and i had to shoot through really dirty windows with the sun haze coming in.  the before of the this picture is quite bad, I'm surprised I could get this much out of it.  This bird looks kinda of ugly up close and rather like a raptor (dinosaur), but when it flew up to the fence and I saw it's wing and tail spread from the back it was like a white Angel.  I was just about to delete any photo's I got as I thought they wouldnt be useable, so I tried and this is okay.  At least I have a record of this guy/gal.

Fonts is Harlequin Extra Bold.  

Background is graident base originally from the around the eye of the bird and I chose the lighter color and then Foreground/background graident (is that what it's called, I can only see part of the first word in the gradient materials list).  the rest of the supplies from Digital scrapbook, the following designers: MarisaL, cpjess, apjess (is this the same person as cpjess), Billie Irene, Elif Sahin and Gina Jones.

Text Workshop Lesson 5 White Magpie-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 10

Here's my Day 6 - I filled all sections with images and/or text. We saw this horse in person at the Meadowlands Racetrack in NJ. Everyone was so excited to see The Legend. I discovered they made a 90 minute documentary about him and the DVD is available for ONLY $100!! ? The sad part is that he was incorrigible as a young horse, so he was gelded and, as a result, was unable to pass on his talents to any progeny. The font I used for the title is Bauhaus 93. The vector tube script was perfect!

JOHN HENRY-A LASTING LEGEND_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 12

8 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here's my Day 6 - I filled all sections with images and/or text. We saw this horse in person at the Meadowlands Racetrack in NJ. Everyone was so excited to see The Legend. I discovered they made a 90 minute documentary about him and the DVD is available for ONLY $100!! ? The sad part is that he was incorrigible as a young horse, so he was gelded and, as a result, was unable to pass on his talents to any progeny. The font I used for the title is Bauhaus 93. The vector tube script was perfect!

JOHN HENRY-A LASTING LEGEND_600.jpg

OMG! I love this.  I worked on Race Horse/Thoroughbred breeding farm.  I still love horses.  He is a beautiful horse, I alway loved the bays over the chestnuts  Have you ever seen the movie Pharlap?  And the one called War Horse, it broke my husband and I to see what this horse went through.  If we'd known (particularly the barbed wire scene) what we'd see we'd have never watched it.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Thanks, Rene. I'm unsure how you find the information as to the angle of the image on the layer.

I'm with you on that! I just play around either with the pick tool or Free rotate guessing at numbers. But with Carole making the template, she probably chose what percent to rotate the paper.

37 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I'm with you on that! I just play around either with the pick tool or Free rotate guessing at numbers. But with Carole making the template, she probably chose what percent to rotate the paper.

Is it really rotated? I thought it was cut at an angle (5%?)