Text Workshop 2023

Cassel

Day 6.  I have learned a lot but I know I still have a lot to go.  Thank you so much Carole.

This is a photo of my granddaughter when she was lucky enough to see and play in the snow.  It is not something that we see too often here in Australia.

I did have some trouble using the template, but I am sure it would have been something I was doing wrong.  Still trying to learn all kinds of PSP things.

TextWorkshop-6 snow.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 11

9 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Gerry Landreth Those days will be back soon enough! That cat font is really cute!

@Lesley Maple Even without a texture, if you were to reduce the opacity a little bit, the overlap will show even more. But it does look good!

@Susan Ewart Yes, working with grey background can be annoying when highlighting text. I have had the same thing happen! I had never heard of white magpies! That moonshine layout is stunning in its simplicity!

@Carolyn Rye That is good to hear. Those workshops are often encouraging repetition to help learning!

@Ann Seeber As Sue has replied to you, if you use the Straighten tool, you can use it to "measure" an angle. I use that extensively when coding scripts and need to rotate pieces by a precise angle. The VectorTube script can be so versatile!!!

@Rene Marker This is a good example of how someone can keep information private: by hiding the specific layer, and still showcasing the technique worked!

@Hank Sobah Practice is the goal of all those workshops! I guess you are doing just that!

@nadine Your out-of-bound effect is stunning!!! Your use of artsy style is so well done. I think I am a bit jaleous!

@Mary Solaas I have plans for a Vector Workshop in the future. You will love it!

@Corrie Kinkel You might want to add a little bit more of a shadow on the outlining tube to give it more definition.

@Anja Pelzer Lovely memories. Well done.

@Julie MagerkaInteresting way to use a photo as a background. We don't see it all but we can guess it.

@Bonnie Ballentine We can very well recognize your smile in the top photo!!

@Linda Hitt Your choice of colors makes everything so well coordinated!

@Donna Sillia That orange flower certainly adds a splash of color!

@Sue Thomas What dingbat font are you using? That is a really fun design! Maybe there are other interesting ones in the set.

@Linda J Walker Hum.. I thought the rope tube was included in all newer versions. Do you have another version that might have that tube? The one you picked is obviously not the best. I remember there was a matching one without gaps. Do you have that one ?

Here is my day 6 with the shadows on the purple ropes. I completely forgot to do them, we got unexpected visitors and I closed my work. Later last evening I just posted it here because I thought I was finished, although it looked a bit flat and I went off to bed.?

Just now, Corrie Kinkel said:

Here is my day 6 with the shadows on the purple ropes. I completely forgot to do them, we got unexpected visitors and I closed my work. Later last evening I just posted it here because I thought I was finished, although it looked a bit flat and I went off to bed.?

TextWorkshop-6-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

4 minutes ago, MoniqueN. said:

I wanted to post my project for day 6 and saw Corrie mentioning she forgot to add a shadow to the rope , I haven't done that either, but do you think it needs a shadow in my project? I did a shadow on the paper behind my dog, that's all.?

Les 6-600.jpg

That's so nice from this forum, now I see I do have to add a shadow to all the papers, just like others did,not only around the paper around our dog. Still have the question about the shadow around the rope though ?

• Love 2

35 minutes ago, MoniqueN. said:

I wanted to post my project for day 6 and saw Corrie mentioning she forgot to add a shadow to the rope , I haven't done that either, but do you think it needs a shadow in my project? I did a shadow on the paper behind my dog, that's all.?

Les 6-600.jpg

I add the shadows (on a separate layer) and then I turn the shadow layer on and off and see the difference.  It always surprises me that the shadow does make a difference in most situations.  At least when they are on the separate layer you can choose to keep them on or turn them off.  

• Love 2

21 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I add the shadows (on a separate layer) and then I turn the shadow layer on and off and see the difference.  It always surprises me that the shadow does make a difference in most situations.  At least when they are on the separate layer you can choose to keep them on or turn them off.  

I think I forgot to put them on a separate layer, will have a llok, but great idea!?

• Like 1

Day 3 Text Wrapping

Short Sandy on the left; Tall Sandy in the center; Bonnie on the right. There was no way I know to get me out of the picture. Tall Sandy is tall...about 6 feet. Short Sandy is short...about 5'4 or less. Once we had 3 Sandys in our pickleball group. When Sandy 3 arrived the immediate question was, "What will we call her?" She told us to call her Fat Sandy. No way! We ended up calling her Sandy D. Even though Tall Sandy has moved away, she and her "Sister", Short Sandy stay in touch. Tall Sandy stays in touch with several of her Virginia Pickleball Friends. That's one of the things I love about pickleball...lasting friendships!

2017 12 2 Short and Tall Sandy TextWorkshop-Template3 600.jpg

Edited by Bonnie Ballentine
  • Like 1
  • Love 12

41 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I ALWAYS do that...with just about everything. I end up with so many layers that I don't use and then delete them. But for me it's easier than having to start over. ?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Michele said:

I ALWAYS do that...with just about everything. I end up with so many layers that I don't use and then delete them. But for me it's easier than having to start over. ?

I do it, also, Michele. It ends up with way too many layers, so I merge each down once I'm happy with it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Monique I always add the shadows on a separate layer, for the reasons you said  and for editing them if I see that they aren't looking good! I once had to start almost all over with a layout by not doing this! ?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Monique I always add the shadows on a separate layer, for the reasons you said  and for editing them if I see that they aren't looking good! I once had to start almost all over with a layout by not doing this! ?

Normally I do that also, but this time, adding the shadows, I forgot to look if the checkbox was checked ,so I don't know if they are on a seperate layer this time. Susan mentioned in her reaction that she put the shadows on a seperate layer on and off and that's a great idea, because I always change settings many times. Michele said she ends up with several shadows and that's a great idea too ?

Edited by MoniqueN.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Day 3 Text Wrapping

Short Sandy on the left; Tall Sandy in the center; Bonnie on the right. There was no way I know to get me out of the picture. Tall Sandy is tall...about 6 feet. Short Sandy is short...about 5'4 or less. Once we had 3 Sandys in our pickleball group. When Sandy 3 arrived the immediate question was, "What will we call her?" She told us to call her Fat Sandy. No way! We ended up calling her Sandy D. Even though Tall Sandy has moved away, she and her "Sister", Short Sandy stay in touch. Tall Sandy stays in touch with several of her Virginia Pickleball Friends. That's one of the things I love about pickleball...lasting friendships!

2017 12 2 Short and Tall Sandy TextWorkshop-Template3 600.jpg

Bonnie, your text at the bottom is far to the left, did you do that on purpose?

I love the way you did the text at the top, it suits the ladies well!?

• Like 2

If you save your favorite shadow settings as presets, just have the separate layer box checked when you save it. Then you don't have to worry about it if you use the preset. And if you tweak the settings of the preset, that box stays checked so you will still have your separate layer.

• Like 3

Day 7 and I'm a bit sad that the workshop is finished, but now I can go ahead with the Build a Kit. I have to admit it is a bit busy with 2 workshops at the same time and yes I now I don't have to finish either of them in a specific time but it's addictive! Maybe I should plan a detox period! I have loved seeing all the different layouts, mostly done with the same templates and techniques, so inspiring!

For this last one I used a photo, taken in a gardencenter of a bunch of mixed orchids standing on a table and I used it for all the words. The strip on the template is a bit smaller otherwise it was to prominent and I wanted to use that striped paper for contrast to the lighter colors. Again some butterflies and an extracted orchid flower. The font is Bumble.

I have done this workshop as the Wise Words Challenge as it was called 2 years ago. It was my first challenge after the basic Scrap Course and I have to say I have learned a lot since that day from the masterclasses, challenges, tutorials from Carole and by looking what all the other members are showing. 

TextWorkshop-7-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 7 and I'm a bit sad that the workshop is finished, but now I can go ahead with the Build a Kit. I have to admit it is a bit busy with 2 workshops at the same time and yes I now I don't have to finish either of them in a specific time but it's addictive! Maybe I should plan a detox period! I have loved seeing all the different layouts, mostly done with the same templates and techniques, so inspiring!

For this last one I used a photo, taken in a gardencenter of a bunch of mixed orchids standing on a table and I used it for all the words. The strip on the template is a bit smaller otherwise it was to prominent and I wanted to use that striped paper for contrast to the lighter colors. Again some butterflies and an extracted orchid flower. The font is Bumble.

I have done this workshop as the Wise Words Challenge as it was called 2 years ago. It was my first challenge after the basic Scrap Course and I have to say I have learned a lot since that day from the masterclasses, challenges, tutorials from Carole and by looking what all the other members are showing. 

TextWorkshop-7-600.jpg

Your words are so spot on.  I will take a detox time too and turn my attention to my new camera.  It was busy this past week with two workshops running at the same time.  Once it's done we'll be craving more...after all, it's an addiction.  But what a great addiction it is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Day 7. I used photos I took yesterday out a window during the high winds. I didn't take the time to get all the settings needed to actually show the motion of the shrubs but figured these might be good photos to play with for this challenge. I used an old kit by a retired designer from 2012 and a template from Scrapping With Liz. I deleted all elements from the template and just used papers and an arrow from the kit. Font is Yard Sale.

text ws day 7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 5

5 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Your words are so spot on.  I will take a detox time too and turn my attention to my new camera.  It was busy this past week with two workshops running at the same time.  Once it's done we'll be craving more...after all, it's an addiction.  But what a great addiction it is.

I need to get back to working on a project I'm helping my cousin with for the church. I've put it off for 10 days and that bag full of folders isn't going anywhere. Oh and the laundry I need to do! LOL

• Haha 3