Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

18 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

The big question is.....how did the crane do at the pickleball clinic?  and who got to partner with him/her...the badger? or maybe a giraffe, both having long necks and all?  🤣.  All kidding aside, good choice to leave the background a textured yellow and great touch with the little foot prints.  Beautiful photos.

Ha, ha, Susan! The crane did very well and ended up winning Queen of the Court that day!

• Haha 3

Day 3 of the Mask Workshop. This day tested what I have learnt about Masks.  I feel so much more confident now.

My problem now is how to respond to others on this site.  I don't know where to go to respond to anyone.  Cassel is there some literature that I can get regarding this?  I feel a bit silly that I do not know.

Day 3 Masks 600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

Day 3 are 2 more layouts for my cousin.

Layout #1 used the mask by Melo although I added to it so that I could get more of the photo. The kit is a really old kit by a designer that retired over 10 years ago. The kit was called Christmas Time and the designer was A Work in Progress. Again, the font is Discover Beauty.

Layout #2 used the extra mask from the 2022 Mask Workshop. The kit is called Around The World: Iceland and is available at Sweet Shoppe Designs. It is a collab kit from 2 designers. I again used Discover Beauty for the font.

20231217 Attire.jpg

2023 Iceland Oct 8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 11

6 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

Day 3 - Still can't figure out how I locked that color palette for my project but decided to work around it. If anyone can help sort that for me, I will redo the project but with a colored background paper as originally planned. I flattened the image & exported to a jpg and then reopened it, treating it like any other jpeg & then finished the lettering & border. That restricted my background to b&w instead of the red bloody splattered grunge paper that I wanted but, it seems to work. I did have to change the quote though as my original choice went better with the bloody paper. The film style mask is a snag from Pinterest, the monster collage is from a  horror movie archive, the paper texture is from Freepick, and the font is Anger Styles from Dafont. I am not a fan of the kaleidoscope effect but that is just a personal preference. I am too busy making more plaid patterns from yesterday's lesson.

mask3 sharon.jpg

@sharon thompson It looks like you're in greyscale mode.  Could you have accidentally hit greyscale when you really wanted Negative image when working with your mask?   I turned one of my image layers into greyscale and it turns all layers grey.  Then I went under image to hit increase colors, but it would not let me do it.  I could undo though to fix it.  Just a thought...

Edited by Emerald Jay
  • Like 1

@Carolyn Rye With more confidence, you will go faster when using masks. Those photos are great and I bet you will share them with your children and grandchildren! I am sure they would appreciate it. Maybe you can make a whole album just for them! For the way to respond, check this post.

@bina greene It is ok if you opted not to use the plaid. if you learned the trick and practiced it, that was my goal. In the end, you are the one who knows what you want! And yes, Lady22 has so many great templates. That is why I love to feature them, and they are perfect to illustrate how to convert a shape into a mask. And yes, she replied to me and reuploaded the template with a new link.

@Julian AdamsI could go on a longer explanation but basically, a mask is just like using a stencil to paint a pattern; the stencil part is black (which blocks the paint) and the white is where the paint will go through. The mask layer itself will have black and white (and grey) that can be added or removed. We use the Float command to transfer the "design" on the mask layer. But in the end, once you go through all the lessons, you will see how masks behave and should feel more comfortable with them.

@Susan Ewartbased on your result, you certainly did it the right way.

@fiona cookYou did, manually, what PSP can actually do with the Text Cutter! But that is totally alright!

@kasanyDid you intend to have the main picture faded in the background? If so, it is ok. If not, it might be because the mask was more grey and black instead of white and black.

@Donna Sillia Yum!!!! At least, there is no calorie while enjoying looking at that dessert!

@Lynda DiGregorAre you taking those photos? Those flowers are remarkable! And that home away from home doesn't seem so bad with those beautiful flowers!

@Corrie KinkelKaleidoscope patterns can range from powerful to subtle. You chose a good one to enhance your photo.

@Harmony BirchThat pattern really enhance the color of her hair!

@Anne LampI agree with you: corn is a vegetable! What size did you resize your image? It looks smaller than 600 pixels.

@Marie-ClaireThose daffodils are brightening that page!!! I am really surprised that Poncho is not into modeling for you! He looks so great!

@sharon thompsonI am really not sure how you ended up with the layer combo as you did. My suggestion is to just continue, and pay attention to all the steps and how they affect the layers. Maybe you will notice at what point the process stopped matching the tutorial and that might give you a hint of what was happening at the time. When you have time, you might revisit this one tutorial at the end.

@Ann SeeberYes, be careful with the kaleidoscope: it is addictive!

@Gerry Landreth In a way, I am happy I have only one cat now. I remember when I had two and they would wake up in the middle of the night.

@Bonnie Ballentine Reusing the same pattern can work very well, and it would be easy to tweak the colors and the effects as needed.

@Rene Marker You are doing great with masks and I love those you chose to use. They fit well to showcase the photos.

@Emerald JayThank you for helping Sharon. I think it is very possible that she clicked Greyscale by accident since it is right above the Negative image! For your kaleidoscope, maybe you just didn't get a "good" one. Using the randomizer, you can be lucky quickly, or work longer to get something you like. Sometimes, it also depends on the colors you start with too.

7 hours ago, Carolyn Rye said:

Day 3 of the Mask Workshop. This day tested what I have learnt about Masks.  I feel so much more confident now.

My problem now is how to respond to others on this site.  I don't know where to go to respond to anyone.  Cassel is there some literature that I can get regarding this?  I feel a bit silly that I do not know.

Day 3 Masks 600.jpg

In addition to the the post Carole advised you to check out you can just click on the word "Quote" at the bottom of every persons post  and it allows you to respond.  the persons post and photo pops up and you can type in what you want to say and then below that on the bottom right is "submit reply".  Just click that and it should come up.  Sometimes it takes a few seconds and even sometimes posts go missing in cyberspace.  Usually we add a post to Carole saying we posted something but it didnt show up.  She can sometimes find it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emerald Jay said:

Lesson 3

I added some grunge around the edges.  I'm not too crazy about the kaleidoscope method.

MWLesson301prev.jpg

Emerald, this would be better, I think, if when you are selecting the pattern in the materials palette for your floodfill, you reduce the size to 50% or even less. See if that improves your opinion of kaleidoscope. 

10 hours ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Workshop Day 2

This is the place we stayed at for 7 months while waiting for our home to be built.

Mask Work Shop Day 2-Sycamore-sm.jpg

Beautiful, Lynda. Did you intend to use the large photo on an angle like that or did it get tilted when you angled the frame? It makes me tilt my head when I'm looking at it. 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hello everyone🙋‍♀️,

I'm also there now because I also want to use the masks in PSP. I can already do it in PI. I just need challenges in order to learn as daily as possible so that it sticks in my head.

Thank you Carole💞 , for all the learning opportunities and making the material available

I have now received the first three lessons, translated and now I'll do one and, if I'm not tired yet, the second lesson to catch up. Here in Germany it's only 2 p.m.

• Like 4

Here's my lesson 4, 2 photos, 2 masks, made the background with a selection from the girls dress, applied balls and bubbles and seamless tile and used as a fill, then put a beige layer on top with an opacity of 50 to tone it down a little. The font is Eyeballs. Then just a couple of scatters and a ribbon to finish it off.
.day4_600.jpg.b4494e9dd66c7fca65c4803689cae3d3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 8

1 minute ago, Harmony Birch said:

Here's my lesson 4, 2 photos, 2 masks, made the background with a selection from the girls dress, applied balls and bubbles and seamless tile and used as a fill, then put a beige layer on top with an opacity of 50 to tone it down a little. The font is Eyeballs. Then just a couple of scatters and a ribbon to finish it off.
.day4_600.jpg.b4494e9dd66c7fca65c4803689cae3d3.jpg

That's great, Harmony! The font is outstanding! 👀

• Like 3

Lesson 4. I had a little trouble locating the image to brush the mask with white because the mask completely blanks it but by trial and error seemed to work out. I made two masks groups including an additional background one for the green bits. The main photo is a colour one of mine that I made monochrome.  For the text I used Effects/3D Effects/Chisel (with solid white colour). The words are extracted from the poem 'The Oak' by Alfred Lord Tennyson. Artistic licence requested for the shape of the leaves, not being oak!

Lesson4_24.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

Day 4. I used a brush from the Brusheezy download, #21. It was a lot of trial and error since a part of the photo was very close to the edge and I kept getting the hard edge. I did a lot of fiddling with the size and jitter settings but finally got it.

Kit used is called And Bake by Clever Monkey Graphics and is available at Sweet Shoppe. I again used the Discover Beauty font.

A note about the cake. My cousin's granddaughter (age 12) has been cooking and baking for about 4 years. She has figured out how to bake using gluten free ingredients since her mother has 2 auto-immune diseases and can't have gluten. Essentially the whole family is eating gluten free in support of Mom. At the age of 10, she knew that she wanted to open a bakery specializing in gluten-free items. And, sweet Caroline is a big fan of Taylor Swift thus this cake!

20231029 Cake.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 9

12 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

The 600X600 pixel jpgs were large for some reason & would not load so I resized the to 400X400. 

@sharon thompson  When you save a jpg there is a slider in the dialog.  I pointed it out with a red arrow in my attached screen shot.  Higher Quality makes for a bigger file size.  The file size is shown too, so when saving to post on the forum,  you can adjust the slider to make sure your images are less than 300kb which is the maximum size allowed.  If I remember correctly Cassel recommends a quality setting of 12 as a general guideline but a little lower won't matter very much if that's what it takes to get your work at or below 300 kb.

save.jpg

• Like 2

my Day 4   The photo was from the Black Sands Beach area on Hawaii Big Island.  The background paper was adjusted from   "Ocean-Water-Background-Digital-Paper-27720793 10 "

I have no idea where that was downloaded from years ago.

Masks workshop 2024 day 4 600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11

This one depicts random thoughts. If it needed a title, it would be My Mother's Day.

Years ago, I started calling my mother on my birthday to thank her for being my mother. I called it My Mother's Day. When I moved back to Alabama to be with her, I would take her to dinner to celebrate (usually at a restaurant that gave a free dessert for my birthday!)

This will be the first birthday without her. I may still go to a restaurant. After all, she wouldn't want me to miss out on a free dessert!

The mask for my mother was made using a watercolor brush from Rikard Rodin. The raggedy edges and the gold from were made using Picture Frame in PSP.

GNL-MaskWorkshop-Day4-600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

20 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 2 again, Thanks Carole for pointing out my mistake with not replacing that placeholder with something else. I used a bird from the Escale Amoureuze kit but recolored it to yellow.

The bird works just perfectly with your photos

• Thanks 1

I am continuing with the amazing food the my daughter and I had in Fredericksburg at an Italian-Mexican fusion restaurant. One dessert is a goat cheese panna cotta and the other was a chocolate pot with hazelnuts. The background is actually a wood background that I made, but when I used the textile fill, this is how it came out. The pictures and the arrows are my own. The black border is from Creative Fabrica. The font is called "Los Pinata" from Creative Fabrica. I converted the text to curves as character shapes, duplicated them and now I can't remember the next steps, but I know that I did not use stroke. I guess I will have to keep experimenting and save my steps.        

dstaorios600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8