Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

Day 3

Plugging along at a snails pace.  Had fun with this one.  I wanted one object in color but still with the Pencilsketch2 effects.  I believe I used hard light blend mode with an extracted version of the pipe wrench (is that what it is?).  The two little box wrenches(?) in the corners were originally photographed (along with a third ugly one that I didnt include in the layout) with the main group of tools.  So I extracted them, inner bevel added.  I used the Letter press script again with Gill Sans Ultra Bold font (formerly from MSWindows).  This time I added the spaces you get when you add a space (I think) when entering the text.  And this is a one row box you have the option of making.  I did desaturate it to make it look like metal and I had to resize it because it was wooden and the box bottom shows through.  The Letterpress script is quite customizable with the each element on a separate layer (when you choose adding the box for it it all goes into layers and I recomend using this because you can choose to use or not use the box and you can also group it all for easy resizing all at once for for copying and pasting into a layout as a group.  It's much easier than handling each element separately.  

And like everyone else, I went down the rabbit hole for a good hour playing with the kaleidoscope effect.  One to Day 4 now.

Mask WS Day 3 - Tools2-600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 9

Day 6. For the mask I used the cass-Curlylines script and the rocks/pebbles are made with cass-RocksPebbles script. I used that one because the area where I saw these flowers was rocky with grass patches in which flowers were growing. It are quite delicate little plants which can be used as herbs. The background is made by 3 layers of the linoleum effect with different blend modes. The bottom one is the monochrome, then a copy with some blur and blendmode soft light. The 3rd layer was without the monochrome and blendmode saturation and a tiny lowered opacity. The font is Baby Magnolia.

Mask Workshop-day6-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 11

Lesson 6. My tree photo with Vibrancy adjustment. Mask from DigitalScrapbook.com Yvette;PhotoMask:01 by Rachel Martin. Lino effect repeated 9 times for the Distortion effect. Duplicated the layer and used Overlay Blend Mode.

Lesson6_24.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 10

Day 6

Years ago, I used to enjoy this bar. My favourite part was the Turkish Delight.  I have never found any as good since they stopped making this bar.

For the Linoleum effect, I tried originally a blue.  When I tried red, it just seems to blur into itself.  SO I used the color changer tool and used different shades of red. Then I duplicated the layer and used the burn blend mode.

Masking 6 600.jpg

Edited by Randy
  • Like 2
  • Love 12

Day 5.

Day 6 is done and waiting for text.

large.2024122Friends600.jpg.0f0b0d9d8da44134acf2a44f3a0f96df.jpg

While we were at the pickleball clinic...at dinner one night, a woman approached me and explained that her husband drew caricatures and would draw one for me. He was working for the resort. This page shows his caricature and Judy. It was a nice surprise. We were very careful to pack it carefully for the trip home. Pickleballs and paddles brushes created from pngs. 

• Like 2
  • Love 12

@Susan EwartNot many people have spikes like that at home. My husband found some beside the railroad by our house and managed to invent a game with those. I'll try to find where he posted it on the internet. I love how you manipulated that background paper to create a totally different effect. If you want to do extractions, check this article. That is my favorite technique.

@Carolyn RyeYou are doing great with those masks!

@kasanySince you ended up with a straight edge on the left, you could consider moving the whole mask to the left so the edge of the photo won't look like anything is cut off and it will look intentional.

@RandyThat is an interesting idea to use the same image as a background. Have you considered using it diagonally? You can check this tutorial. The blue plaid is great and definitely not overpowering. You must have selected a great section to get that "subtle" design.

@MoniqueN.Simple layouts are fun to make because they are faster, and yes, it does put the focus on the photo OR the text.

@Emerald JayBeautiful photos and nicely showcased!

@Jen Brown You earn extra points with such cute kitties!!!

@Ann SeeberCombining a colored photo and a black-and-white photo with a mask gives a great effect.

@Anne LampThat subtle layer of the photo in the background makes that page very interesting.

@Gerry LandrethThat script creates a great effect. I think that the shadow on the title is inconsistent with the typical light sources. Can you consider putting them in the opposite direction?

@Marie-ClaireKeep those brush strokes handy. You can use them as masks later too!

@Donna SilliaI am sorry to have made you addicted to layered fonts! LOL

@Corrie KinkelIsn't that good that those rocks are just digitals?

@Harmony BirchDid you rotate your lace after adding the shadows? It looks like it is not consistent as it is going to the right, and not the bottom right. is the Butterfly font a layered font?

@fiona cookThat Blend mode really makes the colors pop!

@Bonnie BallentineYou are always having such interesting adventures!

• Thanks 1

Day 5 - I loved that linoleum effect though I had to make it a bit more subtle as I was using the same color as the photo background and mask.  Added a small frame to make things pop out a bit. I don't remember where I got the butterfly photo, probably from a naturalist site, but the kaleidoscope of butterflies (yes, that is what a group of butterflies in flight is called) is from Pngitem.com and the font is MingLiu from Fontsgeek. 

mask6 sharon.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 12

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

If you want to do extractions, check this article. That is my favorite technique.

thank you Carole!  This is how I did do it.  I couldn't make selections of the objects with the magic want even though they were on a white background.  So I ended up using point to point and then "edit selection".  the article is great and has reminded me of the two master classes that I was watch and follow along with since I couldnt seem to make the selection tools work well.  I wonder because some of it was metal which has highlights so it wouldn't choose the outline.  I have much to learn.  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Day 6

large.2024125AmandaAwesome600.jpg.ed107d1ebde192f31dd458a18337766d.jpg

I really struggled with this lesson. I find this paper so busy. I didn't think black would work well but I like it OK. I did lower the opacity..

I love the paper.  Good call to lower the opacity.  I dont like it too busy either and end up doing that often.  This sample is really nice.  

Day 4

I tried the PencilSketch2 script but there was too many hues that are dark so it didn't work well.  In fact I had planned on using an image of the paint palette on it's own with the tubes of paint in front of it.  It didnt work.  so I went on to trying to the use the brush with a "hide all" mask and well, it's looked something you'd throw out with the trash.  I had this other image of me playing with 20 yr old gouache WC paint using only CMY K and White for my color group I belong to.  I had the idea of having a desaturated image and using the mask to bring back color in the palette and certain areas.  I dont know why, but that was a head scratcher using the two layers of the same image (one desaturated and one fully hue-full).  I got there in the end and this is just the technique I have been wanting to learn.  I need to practice it way more.  I extracted the tubes from the other image I was going to use and put them on this image as separate elements.  The little square color swatches is from my color group, something we are doing until the real color cards get made and mailed to us. 

The font is Evidance, by Creative Fabrica I think.  With an inner bevel added and a gradient fill and lowered opacity (with the shadow layer below it turned in into a dark tone, as the shadow was not 100% black, otherwise it would have been a dark shade).  Tomorrow I will only be 3 days behind.  Yippee! 

Mask WS Day 4 - Palette-1-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 8

12 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

DAY 4
Cluster: Jessica Dunn (digitalscrapbook)
Fonts : Forte and Molly Script
The birds is a free photoshop bruche that I downloaded once, I think on Deviantart
For the paper, I applied 3 large strokes with green, light blue and darker blue on a blue background, using a watercolor brush.

large.mclp_Masks_Worksh_24_02_12_d04_600.jpg.89485f1748a17bce977f998172319400.jpg

Really nice! Is that some sort of tracker that Poncho is wearing?

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 3

Plugging along at a snails pace.  Had fun with this one.  I wanted one object in color but still with the Pencilsketch2 effects.  I believe I used hard light blend mode with an extracted version of the pipe wrench (is that what it is?).  The two little box wrenches(?) in the corners were originally photographed (along with a third ugly one that I didnt include in the layout) with the main group of tools.  So I extracted them, inner bevel added.  I used the Letter press script again with Gill Sans Ultra Bold font (formerly from MSWindows).  This time I added the spaces you get when you add a space (I think) when entering the text.  And this is a one row box you have the option of making.  I did desaturate it to make it look like metal and I had to resize it because it was wooden and the box bottom shows through.  The Letterpress script is quite customizable with the each element on a separate layer (when you choose adding the box for it it all goes into layers and I recomend using this because you can choose to use or not use the box and you can also group it all for easy resizing all at once for for copying and pasting into a layout as a group.  It's much easier than handling each element separately.  

And like everyone else, I went down the rabbit hole for a good hour playing with the kaleidoscope effect.  One to Day 4 now.

Wow, this is great! I think we call that big guy a Monkey Wrench?

9 hours ago, fiona cook said:

Lesson 6. My tree photo with Vibrancy adjustment. Mask from DigitalScrapbook.com Yvette;PhotoMask:01 by Rachel Martin. Lino effect repeated 9 times for the Distortion effect. Duplicated the layer and used Overlay Blend Mode.

Lesson6_24.jpg

That poet, Joyce Kilmer, was sort-of local to me when I lived in New Jersey. He became so famous they named a rest-stop off the NJ Turnpike for him. 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 4

I tried the PencilSketch2 script but there was too many hues that are dark so it didn't work well.  In fact I had planned on using an image of the paint palette on it's own with the tubes of paint in front of it.  It didnt work.  so I went on to trying to the use the brush with a "hide all" mask and well, it's looked something you'd throw out with the trash.  I had this other image of me playing with 20 yr old gouache WC paint using only CMY K and White for my color group I belong to.  I had the idea of having a desaturated image and using the mask to bring back color in the palette and certain areas.  I dont know why, but that was a head scratcher using the two layers of the same image (one desaturated and one fully hue-full).  I got there in the end and this is just the technique I have been wanting to learn.  I need to practice it way more.  I extracted the tubes from the other image I was going to use and put them on this image as separate elements.  The little square color swatches is from my color group, something we are doing until the real color cards get made and mailed to us. 

The font is Evidance, by Creative Fabrica I think.  With an inner bevel added and a gradient fill and lowered opacity (with the shadow layer below it turned in into a dark tone, as the shadow was not 100% black, otherwise it would have been a dark shade).  Tomorrow I will only be 3 days behind.  Yippee! 

Mask WS Day 4 - Palette-1-600.jpg

Susan, this is really eye-catching! I don't see where you used a mask. Is this posted in the right forum? Is it part of your Build-A-Kit?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

Day 5 - I loved that linoleum effect though I had to make it a bit more subtle as I was using the same color as the photo background and mask.  Added a small frame to make things pop out a bit. I don't remember where I got the butterfly photo, probably from a naturalist site, but the kaleidoscope of butterflies (yes, that is what a group of butterflies in flight is called) is from Pngitem.com and the font is MingLiu from Fontsgeek. 

mask6 sharon.jpg

Love the quote too! 🙂

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 3

Thank you for your explanations of each step. I like the way the kaleidoscope effect blends in and doesn't dominate. The creative use of that LetterPress script so fitting too. Love It!

• Love 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:08 PM, Marie-Claire said:

DAY 3
Template: Lady22 (lady22.eklablog.com) - Butterfly: Janet Kemp (Digitalscrapbook) - Cluster: Jessica Dunn (Digitalscrapbook) - Wordart: Freebie (Creativefabrica)
The kaleidoscope patterns were always overpowering, so I solved it this way.

large.mclp_Masks_Worksh_24_02_12_d03_600.jpg.30490f6dca2d8a7e817267b53b01c4d5.jpg

I love the dots coming out of the mask on the left. Great find!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 6. For the mask I used the cass-Curlylines script and the rocks/pebbles are made with cass-RocksPebbles script. I used that one because the area where I saw these flowers was rocky with grass patches in which flowers were growing. It are quite delicate little plants which can be used as herbs. The background is made by 3 layers of the linoleum effect with different blend modes. The bottom one is the monochrome, then a copy with some blur and blendmode soft light. The 3rd layer was without the monochrome and blendmode saturation and a tiny lowered opacity. The font is Baby Magnolia.

Mask Workshop-day6-600.jpg

So good!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 6. Felix is my youngest great-nephew. 

The top ribbon is from Marisa Lerin at Digital Scrapbook. The bottom one was created using the Ribbon Factory script from Cassel. The mask was created with the help of the Paint Slash script, also from Cassel. The font is Retro Real Wavy from Creative Fabrica.

GNL-MaskWorkshop-Day6-600.jpg

What a great idea to put a ribbon on top/bottom. Usually you put them somewhere on the canvas in different angles, but not where you put them 🙂

• Like 2