Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

Day 3- More chocolate for Carole. The mask was made from a preset shape converted to a raster with raster to mask script applied. The picture is of a chocolate mousse cup from a French restaurant in Fredericksburg, VA. (and I wonder why my sugar is so high) The font for the title is Chocolateheartfree. The side font is Constancia from Creative Fabrice, and the journal font is Fiolex Girls(not sure where I got that). The background is from the background of the mask, but I changed the color to a more red for Valentines Day. It is actually two layers of the same pattern with different colors and a blend mode of burn for the top layer. BTW, the mousse was outstanding. I think there may be more to see of this restaurant.

dsvalentine.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Mask Workshop Day 1

Getting off to a slow start. Still moving in and figuring out what furniture we want to put into this place. Time is always short. 

The poem is an excerpt from a poet, Samantha Fernando. Her credit is included on the bottom of the page. If you would like to see the entire poem you can find it at  http://starsafire.starrayz.com/wordpress/2014/07/a-touch-of-purple/

All the photos are mine.

Masks Workshop 1-sm.jpg

Edited by Lynda DiGregor
correct placement of a photo
  • Like 1
  • Love 12

14 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Rene Marker Oh I see. I wonder if a reverse shadow would make a little separation between the two photos? That is going to be a great album and hopefully, you will have enough templates to help!

@Susan EwartIt is interesting how you combined the two photos into a single mask. Great job.

@Carolyn RyeHopefully, these exercises will help you grasp the concept of masks more than before. Those children are adorable!

@bina greeneI understand your reasoning for not putting the exact location. However, I am curious and it is nice to get even a general location (even just the country) when you have such beautiful photos. I have not heard back from Lady22 yet, so I put a link to a different template that is of similar type.

@Julian AdamsYou raise a good point. The steps that include the Float is a bit like making a selection with the Magic Wand to then reporting it onto the mask. The difference is that the Float command will maintain the semi-transparency of the section while a selection made with the Magic Wand would not, and would give a very pixellated shape. After a while, it will just become a habit.

@fiona cookIt is great to see that you are comfortable enough with the mask to adjust it to fit your need. Corrie was spot on about the shadow being inside the mask group... so it was masked!

@Ann Seeber I thought I recognized that font! I have used it before too!

@MoniqueN. I didn't know that about the green color. Isn't that interesting?

@Barbara Caulton I don't know why that step would freeze your PSP. Did you manage to get it done? Otherwise, you could try with the Hue/Saturation/Lightness and change the Lightness to get the same effect. I love your idea of the first seven weeks of the puppies' life for the 7 lessons!

@Emerald Jay That is such a cutie! I am glad you found another template on the blog. She has so many to choose from!

@Donna Sillia I love chocolate too. Will we have more chocolate pages? For the page with the red plaid, it definitely matches the blanket. I think that the outline on the text makes it a little harder to read. What would it look like without it?

@sharon thompson I am glad to see your progress. Your reasoning is really on point in how you do things and why. I am sure this "thinking out loud" will be helpful to others reading it.

@Corrie KinkelYou know that the X's are placeholders for whatever element you want to add, right?

@Gerry Landreth In order for the plaid to not overpower a page, you can do like you did and have it quite large and faint, or you can use a smaller scale, but depending on the colors, it sure can be tricky. You managed it well. It is great that you paid attention to the direction of the shadow for the butterfly!

@Marie-ClaireIt seems like Poncho is always ready for a photo shoot, right?

@Bonnie BallentineAre the shadows missing on your white crane layout?

@Anne Lampwhy did you give up on the plaid? Were you encountering issues?

@Anja Pelzergreat photos of those birds!

@Harmony BirchThe Dissolve blend mode is something that is not often used. You found a great way to integrate it effectively.

@ Corrie Kinkel Yes I know and completely overlooked it, I'll rectify!! I was too hasty....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randy said:

I am late. But still looking forward to this refresher on masks as I really don't remember a lot from last time.

I have been enjoying PaintShop Pro Scripting and because of  time spent there, I had forgotten to sign up for this course (until today).

I have been finding Scripting very enjoyable though a bit hard a times (like if you use a variable and spell it slightly different in one place (such as using an upper case in one place and lower case in another - Okay that was me recently 🙂 ).. It is nice to know that Carole is available to work alongside us and provide assitance when we need it.

Randy I know! I have done all that errors and much more during the scripting course, but in the end it was worth all the time and frustrations!

• Like 1

Day 3 and I was looking for a mask in my stash and this one was a Diamond of last year. Just a title - font Bavire - and a string of brads that I recolored. After some trying with the kaleidoskop I'm going for this one, which is a very subtle pattern otherwise I didn't like it. 

Mask Workshop-day3-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 10

23 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 3 and I was looking for a mask in my stash and this one was a Diamond of last year. Just a title - font Bavire - and a string of brads that I recolored. After some trying with the kaleidoskop I'm going for this one, which is a very subtle pattern otherwise I didn't like it. 

Mask Workshop-day3-600.jpg

Beautiful, Corrie! I seem to recall Creosote having a strong smell. Does the bush have an odor, too?

Day 3 - Yesterday good..... today not so good. I am alright making & using the mask but I did something stupid & I am not sure what nor how to fix it. I merged my mask group so I could add various papers and move the masked image around. I should tell you that the mask group is all black & white (yes, I went retro). When I went to add a colored textured paper, that paper became black & white and the color palette is also only in black & white. If I work on a completely separate image, i have the usual color palette. However, when I go back to my project, I am locked into a black & white color palette. Screen shot is attached. Help please. Thank you.

COLOUR PALETTE 2.JPG

Continuing with the theme of grandchildren, not all grandchildren are directly descended from your own flesh and blood that doesn't make them any the less important. The title font is Snap ITC, and the journalling font is Magneto. I used a free mask from Jessica Dunn's nesting mask kit. https://www.digitalscrapbook.com/jessica-dunn/kits/nesting-masks-kit-baby-birds-precious-love-black

masks3_600.jpg.24ea4903a619dc22b8adf8ec39a36c0c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11

44 minutes ago, sharon thompson said:

Day 3 - Yesterday good..... today not so good. I am alright making & using the mask but I did something stupid & I am not sure what nor how to fix it. I merged my mask group so I could add various papers and move the masked image around. I should tell you that the mask group is all black & white (yes, I went retro). When I went to add a colored textured paper, that paper became black & white and the color palette is also only in black & white. If I work on a completely separate image, i have the usual color palette. However, when I go back to my project, I am locked into a black & white color palette. Screen shot is attached. Help please. Thank you.

I am not sure how you got to that point, but a mask layer is always just in greyscale so there is no color. Can you just undo a few steps until the group is back to a group? You don't need to merge the group; you can just collapse it.

DAY 2
Flair button is from Jessica Dunn on Digitalscrapbook
For the two small photos I applied the cass-PencilSketch2 script, but stopped halfway through the script to get a different effect. (not good visible here)
The border above the plaid is a font from the Creation Cassel Store: cass-Edge2
Text font: Dialova

large.mclp_Masks_Worksh_24_02_12_d02_600.jpg.146447ad0945230aa7a0ea420ff5f487.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Day 3 - Still can't figure out how I locked that color palette for my project but decided to work around it. If anyone can help sort that for me, I will redo the project but with a colored background paper as originally planned. I flattened the image & exported to a jpg and then reopened it, treating it like any other jpeg & then finished the lettering & border. That restricted my background to b&w instead of the red bloody splattered grunge paper that I wanted but, it seems to work. I did have to change the quote though as my original choice went better with the bloody paper. The film style mask is a snag from Pinterest, the monster collage is from a  horror movie archive, the paper texture is from Freepick, and the font is Anger Styles from Dafont. I am not a fan of the kaleidoscope effect but that is just a personal preference. I am too busy making more plaid patterns from yesterday's lesson.

mask3 sharon.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 9

12 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I am not sure how you got to that point, but a mask layer is always just in greyscale so there is no color. Can you just undo a few steps until the group is back to a group? You don't need to merge the group; you can just collapse it.

I tried that and I still was stuck. Even if I add a colored image above it, the colored image turns to greyscale. I saved then exited the image and then reopened it and got the same thing. There is decidedly a gremlin somewhere . I decided to make it into a jpg & work from there.... more restrictive than I would have liked but you work with what you have. I shall try again from scratch later tonight or tomorrow morning. Sometimes the little grey cells need food and sleep to function better.

I forgot how interesting the kaleidoscope effect is! This was a little plant given to us when we attended grandchild Jackie's wedding. Her hubby is a horticulture enthusiast and he had put out baby succulents for us to take home that day. Originally it was 1/4 the size of this. One of my few successes with a houseplant. It did stay outdoors all summer. The title font is Vivaldi, the journaling font is Copperplate Gothic, the mask is cass-SimpleArtsy-Template01.

MASKS-LESSON THREE-ECHEVERIA LAUI SUCCULENT_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
tried to brighten the photo plus added image info.
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, Harmony Birch said:

Continuing with the theme of grandchildren, not all grandchildren are directly descended from your own flesh and blood that doesn't make them any the less important. The title font is Snap ITC, and the journalling font is Magneto. I used a free mask from Jessica Dunn's nesting mask kit. https://www.digitalscrapbook.com/jessica-dunn/kits/nesting-masks-kit-baby-birds-precious-love-black

masks3_600.jpg.24ea4903a619dc22b8adf8ec39a36c0c.jpg

That kaleidoscope is awesome!

1 hour ago, sharon thompson said:

Day 3 - Still can't figure out how I locked that color palette for my project but decided to work around it. If anyone can help sort that for me, I will redo the project but with a colored background paper as originally planned. I flattened the image & exported to a jpg and then reopened it, treating it like any other jpeg & then finished the lettering & border. That restricted my background to b&w instead of the red bloody splattered grunge paper that I wanted but, it seems to work. I did have to change the quote though as my original choice went better with the bloody paper. The film style mask is a snag from Pinterest, the monster collage is from a  horror movie archive, the paper texture is from Freepick, and the font is Anger Styles from Dafont. I am not a fan of the kaleidoscope effect but that is just a personal preference. I am too busy making more plaid patterns from yesterday's lesson.

mask3 sharon.jpg

I had this problem once too.  I never did find a reason.  I think I just read did the layout.  it was frustrating because I didnt know what I did to get to that point where I couldnt get back a color palette.