Template Workshop 2024

Cassel

Day 2 - This is my 3-year-old great-niece Amelia. It looks like she borrowed gloves from her dad. The papers are from a collection by Marisa Lerin called Winter Arabesque. The snow-capped font is Winter Vibes from Creative Fabrica.

I've also attached screenshot of a recent problem with wrapping text. Even after clicking the checkmark for ACCEPT, any change, e.g., moving, changing size, or duplicating the layer, removes the constraint of the selection. This is a recent phenomenon.

My PSP 2023 version is 25.2.0.58 x64. 

GNL-2024-TemplateWorkshop-Day02-600.jpg

GNL-2024-TemplateWorkshop-Day02-600-TextWrapping.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 9

15 hours ago, Cassel said:

@kasany That is a fun picture!! We all need a smile!

@Anja Pelzer It is interesting to have the same image twice. That is a great way to focus on the subject. I thought those LEGOS looked familiar!

@Les Cook The link to the forum post was incorrect in the Day 2 page, but the video is there. What browser are you using?

@Emerald Jay Strangely, I can click anywhere on that large image to start the video. What browser are you using? Does it require you to click in the middle only?

@Sharla That is a beautiful photo. I like how you also duplicated the "bubbles" to add effect.

@Corrie Kinkel that is a nice touch to replace the bubbles with snowflakes.

@Mary Solaas Yes, that technique is the most basic one in using templates. You will see the more advanced (and more convenient) ones later on.

@Bonnie Ballentine Maybe the difficulty with that layout is the fact that you end up with red on red. Maybe you need a third color, like gold or even white for that scalloped circle? Just a thought.

@Lynda DiGregor That is great that you could document that move!!

@Anne Lamp That frost photo is fantastic. It almost looks like an oil painting! For your second project, I am glad you are feeling more comfortable with masks.

@Randy Do you see a lonely little T on the bottom of the layout?

@Gerry Landreth That is a great out-of-bound effect on that image!

@Donna Sillia We'll be looking forward to more photos of yours!

@sharon thompson You are right; PSP has a lot of redundancies and it allows everyone to use the workflow that works for them.

@Sheila Hogg It is great to see you colored those bubbles differently. It gives a nice effect!

@Louyse Toupin Great color scheme. Is that you running? 😉

@Shirley Who is that gentleman in the photo??

@Nancy Cleveland Was there no video on Day 2? Did you have a large image with the workshop image? If you click on it, what do you get?

On to template 2. Kit used is PS_Jessica-D-wintertropics-mini – the Background paper (reduced opacity), the scalloped paper and the paper in back of the scalloped paper; the title is a metallic title I made in a lab; the paper above the background was simply colorized as was the circle element which was texturized. I’ve used these pictures before except for the magnolia blossom – it was on a tree in the gardens and was just beautiful – perfectly formed and I’ve been dying to use it.  The font is Arial for the journaling.

2024 Template 2_600.jpg

• Like 7
  • WOW 1
  • Love 9

@Cassel - Help! I'm trying to do Lesson 2 but flummoxed as to how to achieve the text configuration. Any advice? Here's an example of the template...it's the wavy text down the center that I want. Also, I got a new, larger monitor and text is acting strange. Is it to be set to pixels or points?

cass-Template2-DIAMOND_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber

39 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

@Cassel - Help! I'm trying to do Lesson 2 but flummoxed as to how to achieve the text configuration. Any advice? Here's an example of the template...it's the wavy text down the center that I want. Also, I got a new, larger monitor and text is acting strange. Is it to be set to pixels or points?

My guess is that you would have to use the Text Wrapping feature while making a selection in that area. Would that make sense?

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

cass-Template2-DIAMOND_600.jpg

My text acts wonky too - I'm using PSP 2022 Ultimate and I believe you are using PSP 2023 Ultimate.  Just strange when it changes from points to pixels and doesn't matter whether you choose points or pixels.  It happened on the one I just posted.

• Like 1

Hello and thank you @Cassel and to everyone. I'm a wee bit late to the party.... and I hope I can catch up. Wonderful pages here already. 💓Oh and I brought a lil gift for everyone, too. You can dl my winter themed mini here.

Edited by bina greene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, Cassel said:

My guess is that you would have to use the Text Wrapping feature while making a selection in that area. Would that make sense?

Yes, but I'm terrible at precise drawing with the cursor. I guess I need to practice! LOL

15 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Yes, but I'm terrible at precise drawing with the cursor. I guess I need to practice! LOL

Select the grey area with the Magic Wand, contract the selection and remove some extras. Remember that the selection does not have to be as precise when it comes to text wrapping because it won't fill all the nooks and crannies.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

That is definitely an annoyance. Are you able to use the Edit > Clear instead?
Another way would be to use the Eraser tool where you want to delete.
Another way, less obvious, would be to invert the selection, and promote it to its own layer, then delete the initial layer.

Thank you so much .Eraser tool never thought of that. Masks are a very new concept to me .Your video is excellent and so easy to understand. I am watching it minute by minute on a second screen and doing each step on another screen. I dont know the program well enough to think outside the box yet !  I  will try tomorrow. Thank you again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Are those crocuses I see coming through the snow - or daffodils?  Can Spring be far behind (though a little early)?

It are daffodils and they are not extremely early where I live. Although in the last 10 years or so they tend to come much earlier then before; climate change made visible! Luckily they survive the frost as long as they are not in bloom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trying to catch up.  Day 2 Diamond template.  The paper on the right side was taken from a kit: cpjess-reach for the sun; the background paper was colored with a color of the bird as was the journal paper; the triple spiral element I made in a recent lab; the title font is Black Castle (Creative Fabrica font); the journaling is arial.  Again the text tool to determine the size of the text was wonky – don’t know why this happens as it doesn’t happen except once in a while.  My daughter and I went to our favorite park in Memphis (not far from home) where there is a lake.  The lake has “Canadian” geese that live there year round and ducks, but occasionally a heron stops by – usually a great blue heron, but sometimes we have other herons that appear – I have a picture of a LITTLE blue colored heron as well as this one of the green heron.

2024 Template 2 Diamond_600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 10

Day 3

After the snow photos of day 1 and 2 I used 2 photos of the same Hortensia that was in my day 1, but here in full bloom. I used the extra template for this one and colored the leaves with the technique of the lesson. The papers are my one creation and I had them in my stash. The flower elements are by cpjess-old fashioned summer. The button is one I use often and recolor as needed. The butterfly I forgot where I have that one from. I have accumulated a whole bunch of butterflies. Last  the front is Bastro.

Template Workshop-day3-600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 11

Day 3. Panicked a bit when I saw a different template in some of the members comments until I saw a reference to "diamond" so I guess that group is getting different templates, I hope, as I just did my day 3 using this one. Now that I have the use of papers and selections & deletes in the right way, I hoped to get to that wrap text that I missed in the previous lesson. PSPX8 is supposed to have a wrap text feature but I sure can't find it. I got into the Corel site and found it being demonstrated and I did what their video said but to no avail. PLUS, when I try and type in that selection area, the text defaults to a huge spacing between lines. I played around with the "leading" settings but still got huge spaces between lines. So, back to separate lines of text on separate layers and moving them around manually. At least I know how to do that..... tedious but less frustrating.  The subject for the picture is shasta daisies, one of my garden favorites. I cut them to the ground in October and they were up and blooming again in early December (it helped that we had no snow yet). 

TP lesson3 Sharon (small).jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 14

Carole,

Day 2 - response to your note about 'T" at the bottom.

I see the "T"

I had a problem with spacing and obviously did not notice this "T".

Whatever I did, when I enter a line of text and go to the next line, there is a huge gap between lines.

So each line was actually a separate "new" text.

I know I have run into this before, but I don't remember how to fix it.

Edited by Randy

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

That is definitely an annoyance. Are you able to use the Edit > Clear instead?
Another way would be to use the Eraser tool where you want to delete.
Another way, less obvious, would be to invert the selection, and promote it to its own layer, then delete the initial layer.

Thank you so much . I will try this.