Template Workshop 2024

Cassel

2 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Donna, I live less than an hour from Fredricksburg!

Bonnie, my daughter has quite an itinerary planned including going to see Jersey Boys on my 81st birthday on the 26th. She and her husband are foodies so we will be trying out some of her favorite places to eat--Afgan, Indian, Mexican and French to name a few. 

• WOW 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

I am waiting on eye surgery so small fonts frustrate me at the moment and zooming in and out is so tedious. So, it is large fonts for now. I will have to try wrapping around the text later so I moved the text box to get everything in. Had some issues getting the inner paper to match the colors of the dress but, surprisingly, adding a bevel worked as altering the bevel settings can alter color depth. I was confused about the "layer...new mask layer" instructions & image in the video as I do not have that setting but I found it in the submenu for "new layer" in PSPX8. Can't get used to using those "Cntrl+C" etc commands. I find it easier to use my mouse and the dropdown commands at the top.  Just a personal preference. It's a good thing that PSP has so many redundancies. Font is Comic Sans MS and the papers are from kits by CathyK and Brown Owl. I snagged the photos from the internet as no one wants to see a photo of my messy sewing room and I sure don't want to clean it up just for this lesson. However, the larger photo does mimic the inspiration board that I do make up with swatches, trim & ribbon scraps, buttons & thread that I select before starting on a garment. Sharon

TP lesson2 Sharon (small).jpg

The colors in this layout and the layout itself are so beautiful.  

6 hours ago, Sheila Hogg said:

I have had a go at this first one but is taking me longer than it should as I am suffering with an inner ear condition making me a bit/very wobbly headed. Anyway, I will be going at a snails pace and dependant on weather me head feels it is screwed on alright shallbe posting my efforts. Hope everyone is doing ok.

cass-Template1-SGH-16-01-2024(1000 x1000).jpg

I'm with you Sheila, only I haven't even started yet.  I caught the nasty cold my hubby had.  Life happens eh?

• Sad 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Nancy Cleveland said:

Was there a video lesson to go with lesson #2? When I signed in there is nothing only the downloads.

Yes there is, I wondered the same thing until I looked a little closer.  The vid is at the top. At first it looks like just a picture of her first project, but the little play arrow is hard to see because it is sort of hiding in the "P" at the end of the last word, but it is the vid for day two.

• Thanks 1

@kasany That is a fun picture!! We all need a smile!

@Anja Pelzer It is interesting to have the same image twice. That is a great way to focus on the subject. I thought those LEGOS looked familiar!

@Les Cook The link to the forum post was incorrect in the Day 2 page, but the video is there. What browser are you using?

@Emerald Jay Strangely, I can click anywhere on that large image to start the video. What browser are you using? Does it require you to click in the middle only?

@Sharla That is a beautiful photo. I like how you also duplicated the "bubbles" to add effect.

@Corrie Kinkel that is a nice touch to replace the bubbles with snowflakes.

@Mary Solaas Yes, that technique is the most basic one in using templates. You will see the more advanced (and more convenient) ones later on.

@Bonnie Ballentine Maybe the difficulty with that layout is the fact that you end up with red on red. Maybe you need a third color, like gold or even white for that scalloped circle? Just a thought.

@Lynda DiGregor That is great that you could document that move!!

@Anne Lamp That frost photo is fantastic. It almost looks like an oil painting! For your second project, I am glad you are feeling more comfortable with masks.

@Randy Do you see a lonely little T on the bottom of the layout?

@Gerry Landreth That is a great out-of-bound effect on that image!

@Donna Sillia We'll be looking forward to more photos of yours!

@sharon thompson You are right; PSP has a lot of redundancies and it allows everyone to use the workflow that works for them.

@Sheila Hogg It is great to see you colored those bubbles differently. It gives a nice effect!

@Louyse Toupin Great color scheme. Is that you running? 😉

@Shirley Who is that gentleman in the photo??

@Nancy Cleveland Was there no video on Day 2? Did you have a large image with the workshop image? If you click on it, what do you get?

Day 2

Here I used a kit called Kiss from Marisa Lerin, which I had in my supplies for a while. It is all blue and because there is pink in my photo I changed some of the blues a bit for coherence. The circle and the dark blue paper are just colored with a color from the other papers The title font is Hobo and the journaling is Arial. The photos are taken today in my courtyard.

I'm happy to be doing some simple scrapping after all the months of doing the scripting course, which was time consuming and intens but very rewarding and I loved it.

Template-Workshop-day2-600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 11

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

@kasany That is a fun picture!! We all need a smile!

@Anja Pelzer It is interesting to have the same image twice. That is a great way to focus on the subject. I thought those LEGOS looked familiar!

@Les Cook The link to the forum post was incorrect in the Day 2 page, but the video is there. What browser are you using?

@Emerald Jay Strangely, I can click anywhere on that large image to start the video. What browser are you using? Does it require you to click in the middle only?

@Sharla That is a beautiful photo. I like how you also duplicated the "bubbles" to add effect.

@Corrie Kinkel that is a nice touch to replace the bubbles with snowflakes.

@Mary Solaas Yes, that technique is the most basic one in using templates. You will see the more advanced (and more convenient) ones later on.

@Bonnie Ballentine Maybe the difficulty with that layout is the fact that you end up with red on red. Maybe you need a third color, like gold or even white for that scalloped circle? Just a thought.

@Lynda DiGregor That is great that you could document that move!!

@Anne Lamp That frost photo is fantastic. It almost looks like an oil painting! For your second project, I am glad you are feeling more comfortable with masks.

@Randy Do you see a lonely little T on the bottom of the layout?

@Gerry Landreth That is a great out-of-bound effect on that image!

@Donna Sillia We'll be looking forward to more photos of yours!

@sharon thompson You are right; PSP has a lot of redundancies and it allows everyone to use the workflow that works for them.

@Sheila Hogg It is great to see you colored those bubbles differently. It gives a nice effect!

@Louyse Toupin Great color scheme. Is that you running? 😉

@Shirley Who is that gentleman in the photo??

@Nancy Cleveland Was there no video on Day 2? Did you have a large image with the workshop image? If you click on it, what do you get?

Thank you, Carole. I should have thought of that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 2

Here I used a kit called Kiss from Marisa Lerin, which I had in my supplies for a while. It is all blue and because there is pink in my photo I changed some of the blues a bit for coherence. The circle and the dark blue paper are just colored with a color from the other papers The title font is Hobo and the journaling is Arial. The photos are taken today in my courtyard.

I'm happy to be doing some simple scrapping after all the months of doing the scripting course, which was time consuming and intens but very rewarding and I loved it.

Template-Workshop-day2-600.jpg

Are those crocuses I see coming through the snow - or daffodils?  Can Spring be far behind (though a little early)?

• Like 1

Template Workshop #2

At first I thought this is a lot of work to achieve the same thing that I could a different way.  But the more I worked with it and thought about it, I do see where using masks like this can have it's benefits.  I do have a template that I started setting up with masks to save as a psp image to use later.   Thank you for the lesson. 🙂

Oh, I used papers from my own kits.

emjay_TW2prev.jpg

Edited by Emerald Jay
  • Like 6
  • Love 11

Extra template 1: Kit used: DSAFeb14-MarisaLerin, changed the color of the paper 087 to blue with Hue Saturation Lightness; removed the arrow head element and replaced it with an arrow from the preset shapes; removed the dot element and replaced it with paint brush snowflakes that I created in one of the labs; changed the background paper from the kit with hue saturation lightness also; and the scalloped paper layer in the template I colorized to blend in with the picture; the font is Bambe from CF. The picture was taken outside my window (hence the screen) on Tuesday afternoon.  Our snowfall was about 4”. This morning we have 4 degree weather, but it’s nice and cozy inside. We’ve been asked to conserve energy so no lights unnecessarily and we hand wash dishes (shades of my childhood). It was fun watching that squirrel. He would hop on the statue to eat the acorn and then hop down and grab another one from the leaves on the ground near the statue and then hop up on the statue again to eat it. He stayed long enough for me to grab one of the great grands I live with to show them. 

2024 Template 1 Extra_600.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 5
  • Love 13

Day 2: I tried to stick to the template but I couldn’t get it to work for me without some changes. I suspect I could keep on changing my mind about the theme and layout for many days so time to stop and move on…

The photos are copyright free from Freepik. The Papers are from a kit called Reach for the Sun by Jessica Dunn. The font is Santa.

Summer Fruit600.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 11

What a nightmare !! My laptop keyboard has decided it will not delete in PSP 23 therefore I could not use the template. There is no other way I could find to delete except to delete the whole  layer. I put another keyboard in ..no luck . I used another computer no luck. It would delete in any program but PSP23.So looks like a reinstall. I tried in PSPx8 and hey ho all working again on the same laptop! So I have managed to put something together for day 1.Probably a lot of mistakes but at least I didn't loose the will to live !! It is a shot of my son on one of his diving jaunts .The background was just using a blue from the photo and adding a texture. .The  other papers and graphics were from a kit called Dancing with whales.amazingdivingexperience600x600.jpg.a33f183d9f15fa2b5df4506363bce41b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 14

30 minutes ago, Barbara Caulton said:

What a nightmare !! My laptop keyboard has decided it will not delete in PSP 23 therefore I could not use the template.

That is definitely an annoyance. Are you able to use the Edit > Clear instead?
Another way would be to use the Eraser tool where you want to delete.
Another way, less obvious, would be to invert the selection, and promote it to its own layer, then delete the initial layer.