Calendar Workshop 2024

Cassel

Oh, is it a blend mode?  That's the only spot I see luminance.  I'm getting mixed up with PSP and ON1 who does use filters and also has blend modes (same ones as PS) so I was looking for something that says Filters.  Incidentally, PS also has 'filters' as a drop down menu and I watch a lot of PS tutorials, so I think filters in that term.  I'm going in circles with all these programs using different names for the same thing.  ON1 calls "merge visible to a new layer" a "stamped layer".  I prefer PSP's name.  Stamped layer doesn't rely imply "merged" in any way to me.  

23 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Oh, is it a blend mode?  That's the only spot I see luminance.  I'm getting mixed up with PSP and ON1 who does use filters and also has blend modes (same ones as PS) so I was looking for something that says Filters.  Incidentally, PS also has 'filters' as a drop down menu and I watch a lot of PS tutorials, so I think filters in that term.  I'm going in circles with all these programs using different names for the same thing.  ON1 calls "merge visible to a new layer" a "stamped layer".  I prefer PSP's name.  Stamped layer doesn't rely imply "merged" in any way to me.  

Yes,  it's a BLEND MODE, there's Luminance and Luminance (legacy). It isn't  a filter, which may cause confusion when referred to as a filter. 

• Thanks 2

Here are my finished pages for November and December. I intended to use the same technique of "find all edges" on a duplicate of the photo, but I found that it works great on some photos and their pages but not on all! I want to be consistent so I skipped that  idea and did something else instead. I search through my stock for images relating to the particular month or season and put that image under the boxes. Of course I have to use a blendmode to give the desired result and the blendmodes are different for each page depending on the colors of the image and the gradient on the page. For December I maybe overdid it with all the decorations but it is the month you can go over the top! Now again I have to alter my other pages as well, luckily I hadn't done them all yet! After that I have to alter some of the pages from German to Dutch and not all the extra holidays are the same. But that will be peanuts. Only the German calendar has to go in the international mail, the rest stays here and I bring those with me when we meet the intended recipient.

November-600.jpg

December-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Here are my finished pages for November and December. I intended to use the same technique of "find all edges" on a duplicate of the photo, but I found that it works great on some photos and their pages but not on all! I want to be consistent so I skipped that  idea and did something else instead. I search through my stock for images relating to the particular month or season and put that image under the boxes. Of course I have to use a blendmode to give the desired result and the blendmodes are different for each page depending on the colors of the image and the gradient on the page. For December I maybe overdid it with all the decorations but it is the month you can go over the top! Now again I have to alter my other pages as well, luckily I hadn't done them all yet! After that I have to alter some of the pages from German to Dutch and not all the extra holidays are the same. But that will be peanuts. Only the German calendar has to go in the international mail, the rest stays here and I bring those with me when we meet the intended recipient.

November-600.jpg

December-600.jpg

You can never go over the top with December!  Beautiful layouts.  I like that technique of images in the date boxes.  It's a nice touch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Cristina This particular workshop leads to multiple changes. I guess in a way, it is a great way to illustrate the flexibility of digital graphics as opposed to traditional paper work.

@Ann Seeber That empty space is well used!

@MoniqueN. I have updated the script and looking for a way to re-enable everyone's downloads. This time, you don't have to type in the font name, and in the end, everything is grouped, allowing you easy copying/pasting onto your projects.

@Michele I am still using TheFontThing as I don't have to load a bunch of them into a collection. It still works fine for me with Windows 10.

@Corrie Kinkel I will have a blog post on Monday, explaining in detail how to run the Custom Calendar script. In addition, it has been updated so I am just in the process of re-enabling the download.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is sort of a gag for my best friend Don.  It rarely snows where I live but one year we got a good snowfall and while I was wandering in the park I saw this - a dumpster with the words "Don is Love" spray painted on it.  What an odd thing to spray paint onto a dumpster!

2024 Calendar Don is Love m.jpg

Edited by Julian Adams
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

Calendar 2024, My boys together. I chose to try the lines for the space instead of a photograph. They are a wee bit off line, but that is my best, I never choose to be perfect, there wouldn't be any challenge in that lol.

Pete is a Miradol, George is a Ragdoll, and Charli is a Ragdoll/Burmese, that is why he is a little leaner than the two fatties.

The cartoon is the work of my very talented grandson. He is known for his family caricatures.

november comp.jpg 500.jpg

december comp.jpg 500.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 6

8 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

November-600.jpg

December-600.jpg

A lovely floral calendar. very interesting

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 5:28 PM, Cassel said:

I don't know where yesterday's post went (there must be gremlins again).

@Shirley What breed are those boys? Siamese? I notice that when you put their names with a script font, the characters don't align properly on a couple of pages. Are you using PSP2023? I noticed that it does that with SOME fonts when there is an outline. You can tweak that by adjusting the Kerning or skipping the outline if you want. And don't worry about the order of the images. We can read!

@Julian Adams That is a lovely picture you used for February. And the gradient for the background is very well set.

@Michele I like to collect fonts, but I am now limiting myself to those layered fonts or with extra glyphs. I have enough of the other "ordinary" ones!

@laurie solaas The only "fast" way to set guides to multiple pages is to code a script. It is easy when you know, but you can't RECORD setting up guides, so you need to code it (or copy/paste it from another one). So you are likely stuck having to set them manually. As for making more than one calendar, you will see that it is still easy to do. The biggest time-consuming part is choosing the photos! I love all those "quotes" that go with the months. Very unique!

@Cristina I am working on a blog post for this coming Monday so it will still be soon enough for anyone to get it and use it for these calendar pages if needed. I am recoding it to adjust for PSP2023 (and an additional feature too).

@Leslie Gifford Cook Don't worry. Nobody has actually finished ANY page yet since the tutorials will be applied one after the other on the same page so I would not be surprised if some people might be waiting to show their finished pages.

@Donna Sillia That is an interesting tweak to add gems to the month!

@Ann Seeber We are always going on a safari with your photos!

@Corrie KinkelI apologize for giving you more work since my calendar dates started on Sundays and yours start on Mondays.

@Anja Pelzer That was a lot of work for your April dates!!!

@Jannette Nieuwboer Don't worry. You'll catch up. Keep up the great work!

@MoniqueN. That little space will be filled soon!

@Lynda DiGregor Did you replicate the technique from the Freaky Filter class with the same images?

@Susan Ewart So many ideas, and only 12 pages to work on!!! 🙂  As for the notes, I so wish I could write prescriptions for the Campus. For some members, this is cheaper and better than therapy/meds (and in a serious way too). As for the size, it does not matter which one shows. Points and pixels are like inches and centimeters. It does not change the length of a piece; it is just a different unit. And sometimes, it is a little glitchy I find. I tend to always use Pixels for a unit because that is what I started with when I used the JASC versions, and then they added Points as a unit, but for me, I think in pixels.

@Dan Greenwood We'll call you when we have our first FA meeting 🙂

Thanks Carole, My boys are, George a ragdoll, Charli a Ragdoll/Burmese, and Pete a miradol. I can't see  the script characters not aligning, is it on George's name. Mind you, I do have cataracts in both eyes. (that is true, recently diagnosed) On the 2400 pxl page they look fine, but maybe looking a little squashed tog on the 500pxl down sized page.  I can see  where it would be better with no outline, that is good information, thanks. I learn something new each time. I am using psp 2020. 

lesson 5 - September & October

I darkened the boxes on these two.  I like the effect and will go back and do that to the other ones too.  I will be reshooting the September camera.  What was I thinking with that background..YIkes, it's seriously ugly!  I did try changing the date boxes grid lines and then decided to keep it all black.  

sje-2024-Calendar-09-600.jpg

sje-2024-Calendar-10-600.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Love 6

Lesson 6 November 

I like the feathering technique in this lesson.  I added a small photo of the camera closed.  It looks rather like a brick, hard to imagine that this is a camera.  I will be adding text above it, to fill in the space.  Oh boy, not being able to right click and move the selection is a real bummer.  I'm just not that precise and I rely on that.  I hope that gets sorted out soon.  November's template is really nice.  

sje-2024-Calendar-11-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Cristina This particular workshop leads to multiple changes. I guess in a way, it is a great way to illustrate the flexibility of digital graphics as opposed to traditional paper work.

@Ann Seeber That empty space is well used!

@MoniqueN. I have updated the script and looking for a way to re-enable everyone's downloads. This time, you don't have to type in the font name, and in the end, everything is grouped, allowing you easy copying/pasting onto your projects.

@Michele I am still using TheFontThing as I don't have to load a bunch of them into a collection. It still works fine for me with Windows 10.

@Corrie Kinkel I will have a blog post on Monday, explaining in detail how to run the Custom Calendar script. In addition, it has been updated so I am just in the process of re-enabling the download.

@Cassel Oh, that would be nice!

5 hours ago, Shirley said:

Thanks Carole, My boys are, George a ragdoll, Charli a Ragdoll/Burmese, and Pete a miradol. I can't see  the script characters not aligning, is it on George's name. Mind you, I do have cataracts in both eyes. (that is true, recently diagnosed) On the 2400 pxl page they look fine, but maybe looking a little squashed tog on the 500pxl down sized page.  I can see  where it would be better with no outline, that is good information, thanks. I learn something new each time. I am using psp 2020.

Yes it was on George's name and yes, it is possible that the resizing emphasizes the misalignment and since you are using 2020, then it would not be that one issue with 2023.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 11:57 AM, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I had for a certain time InkScape. They are very strong in fontshowing. InkScape has a rather big font window. You can see immediately how your fonts looks like, in alphabetic order. My opinion is that InkScape is not as good as PSP is. They are weak in layers and in shadows. Les colors too. I missed terrible the Corel's colorpicker. And more. So I went back tot PSP.   

We used inkscape more for making svg files to use on black cat cougar cutting machine. There for it is very good.