Calendar Workshop 2024

Cassel

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Here is my revised September and my remaining month; December.  The original photo I was going to use was too wide so this one became the stand in for December. the 3rd photo is the one I couldn't fit.  I had wanted a festive vintage movie camera shot for December.  I was painting with light.  20-25 second exposures in pitch black and using a very small flashlight to highlight areas.  Best with no background but this was on my wall unit so I left it as it and my flashlight is that horrible blue color, but it was fun to to experiment with the technique.  I made 4 shots, and used lighten blend mode in the layers.  

Tomorrow I'll get to the cover.  I still have lots to go back and polish in the previous months and text to add and research to do about the camera.  (I collect them cause they look cool, not because I want to know about them.  Now, I'm getting more interested in getting some knowledge about them....yup, a sign I'm getting old 😔) .

sje-2024-Calendar-09-600.jpg

sje-2024-Calendar-12-600.jpg

3350-53 edit merged-600.jpg

I love your backgrounds! Do you make them yourself? 🙂

5 hours ago, Cristina said:

I purchased the Custom Calendar script, and I can see it will speed up their creation... I think it is genius, and I am curious to see how it is coded. 😉 😄 

This morning, I was happy to see that the YouTube video was uploaded:   Custom Calendar

I know it takes time (there are hundreds of scripts!), but having a video explaining how it works is very helpful.

Thanks for the heads up on the video.  I watched it and it's really good. I think I'll be getting the script, what a time saver for making Calendars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MoniqueN. said:

I love your backgrounds! Do you make them yourself? 🙂

No, I got them with my ON1 Raw editing program.  they are called Two Little Owls -  Autumn Whimsy Textures.  They are actually presets but they also included JPGs so was able to use them outside that program.  

• Like 2

It is great to see so many unique ideas for this calendar workshop.  I got off to a pretty good start with the intention of doing the whole thing, Then I started not being able to sign into my email.  I appreciated the suggestions other members gave me, but none of them worked.  A few days later BINGO everything started working like it was supposed to.  By that time I had spent so much time trying to get things to work, I was just plain computered out.  I did go back and read and saved the instructions, but just didn't work on them any more.  Maybe if I get time after Thanksgiving, I will try to do all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Julian Adams said:

I love the images on the mask!  Is that what you were talking about when yo mentioned blend mode.  Which mode did you choose?

Yes I have used blendmodes to all the images under the date boxes and for some background gradients too. I have used different ones because different colors needs  different blendmodes to get the effect I want. I always check in the layers palette which one I'll choose and very often I reduce the opacity too. I have PSP 2023 and in this version you can scroll along the blendmodes and see on your image what it would look like. For me one of the great assets of this version.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anne Lamp said:

It is great to see so many unique ideas for this calendar workshop.  I got off to a pretty good start with the intention of doing the whole thing, Then I started not being able to sign into my email.  I appreciated the suggestions other members gave me, but none of them worked.  A few days later BINGO everything started working like it was supposed to.  By that time I had spent so much time trying to get things to work, I was just plain computered out.  I did go back and read and saved the instructions, but just didn't work on them any more.  Maybe if I get time after Thanksgiving, I will try to do all of them. 

Good to hear you are back up and running.  I would be needed a break after going through something like that.  It was probably your provider.  We've had that, where something stops working and then randomly starts working even when doing nothing about it.  Recently, it was the modem we got from our internet/TV/phone provider, it had to be re-booted 3 times then everything started working as normal.  

• WOW 2

Great workshop.  I also attended your calendar making webinar awhile back.  Learned alot in both "workshops".  Here is my end result for August. The main photo was taken with my drone at the local arboreum in August of this year and the other is looking up at some cabins off of Lake Cumberland in Kentucky several years ago...from a boat.

August2024-2.jpg

Edited by Daniel Hess
  • Like 3
  • Love 6

Just now, Ann Seeber said:

I have been doing some additions and revisions and here's what's finished so far:

01-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-JANUARY-prelim-600.jpg

02-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-FEBRUARY-prelim-600.jpg

04-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-APRIL-PRELIM_600.jpg

05-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-MAY_600.jpg

13-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-COVER_600.jpg

You may say that I'm  knit picking, if so, disregard my suggestions.  Firstly, I'm  pleased to see you moved the title and year into the photo, on your  cover page, more specifically  the year. You months are obstructing  the days, bar for  one.   Even though we all know the days of the week. Minor tweaking would make those days  clearly visible. For me that  would be an important detail. Saying that, you are the creator, and it's  what you are happy with at the end of the day. I'm  merely making a suggestion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

You may say that I'm  knit picking, if so, disregard my suggestions.  Firstly, I'm  pleased to see you moved the title and year into the photo, on your  cover page, more specifically  the year. You months are obstructing  the days, bar for  one.   Even though we all know the days of the week. Minor tweaking would make those days  clearly visible. For me that  would be an important detail. Saying that, you are the creator, and it's  what you are happy with at the end of the day. I'm  merely making a suggestion.

Thank you, Sue, I noticed that right away and made an executive decision to allow the font to overlap on some of them. As you say, we really do know the obscured titles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Thanks, Susan. It's intended for my granddaughter, Jackie, the zookeeper. Here she is showing me the new Caracal kittens.

jackie and the caracals 2022.jpg

OOps, my bad.  Your granddaughter will be blown away.  How lucky she is.  What a great photo.  I cant imagine the experiences she has on a daily basis.  Like I've said before.  BEST. JOB. EVER.

• Love 1

And here is my cover with a photo that I intended to use on one of the month's pages where it didn't fit. I had the same problem on the cover but could solve that by using a mask before I pasted it into the coverpage which gave me space to put a title that stayed readable. I tried different backgrounds but this one gave the best result as far as the page-mask is concerned. The title font is the same as I used for the month names: Almond script and the year is Bilderberg. I'm still debating with myself if I shall put the names of the flowers on the pages. The problem is that I know the English common names but most of the flowers I showed are not known here. So the English names won't have a meaning especially so for the intended  German speaking recipient. Of course I can use the Latin names, but that won't have much meaning as well. Not all the months are completely finished yet, I will work at bit more on some of them.

Calendar-Cover-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Day 7 Calendar cover.  This cover is to go with my Magazine cover from the Magazine workshop.  I added the black frame as my Mag. cover has a red frame.  I think I need to fill the black empty (negative?)  under the word camera with something and the below the cameras.  Some kind of words tying it to the magazine.  And of course going back and adding the extra touches to the rest of the Calendar.  

Carole: once this workshop is over, should we post are finalized calendars in What Are You Working On forum?

sje-2024-Calendar-001-Cpver-600.jpg

• Love 7