Calendar Workshop 2024

Cassel

22 hours ago, Chris Schults said:

The first Februari attempt.  Carnival month starts on the 19th, is my wife's birthday too.

2024-Calendar-02 dutch.jpg

The top half is (in my humble opinion) very busy, because of the script/freebie from the store. Maybe if you erase a bit of the (light-)blue on the lady, it might become a bit less busy? Hope you don't mind me saying this 😎

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 12:31 AM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

8 of my pages exhibit my photos. January photo taken by my friend, Bethany. February is my photo and one of my favorites. Font for months is Chocolate Sprinkles. It didn't have a lot of glyphs but I used what I could.

I have d/l the font🙈😎  Where's the font-anonymous group an can I join?😎

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Did anyone get the Corel's new Discovery Centre email?  Carole has a great tutorial in it called, "Make a custom calendar in Paintshop Pro".  It's very good.

Thanks. It is a webinar I did for them 3 years ago 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MoniqueN. said:

The top half is (in my humble opinion) very busy, because of the script/freebie from the store. Maybe if you erase a bit of the (light-)blue on the lady, it might become a bit less busy? Hope you don't mind me saying this 😎

You're right. I had to stop then. I used the complete script/ Bit in doubt about removing text inside. The light blue bit but also some dark pieces.  And I replaced the lady a bit.

Saw anothe rmistake Januari I used more capitals in text. And removed it above the days. 

2024-Calendar-02-02 dutch.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I need advice! For the first time (this is my 3rd calendar class) I need to get it printed as a Christmas gift. I always see calendars that open up from the center and can be pinned to the wall. And they are bound in the center. I have two now, one is stitched and the other has wire coil. This class has produced 13 pages @  8 inches x 10.5 inches. So what do I do now and where is a good place to get it printed. It's for my granddaughter, Jackie, who lives nearby. I only have one more page to finish, for December. Here are July thru November finished.

07-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-JULY-600.jpg

08-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-AUGUST-600.jpg

09-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-SEPT_600.jpg

10-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-OCT_600.jpg

11-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-NOV_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Chris Schults said:

You're right. I had to stop then. I used the complete script/ Bit in doubt about removing text inside. The light blue bit but also some dark pieces.  And I replaced the lady a bit.

Saw anothe rmistake Januari I used more capitals in text. And removed it above the days. 

And remove the script part and add a shadow to the template itself? (So only the lady, she is colourful enough herself 🙂 )

1 hour ago, Chris Schults said:

I don't have the script. I was under the impression that each word was  on it's own layer in order for you to edit.  If so, I would certainly remove the layers  that are overlapping to much, and  layers that are taking up  to much of the photo.  I like the effect to showcase photos, which is why I have created my own.

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I need advice! For the first time (this is my 3rd calendar class) I need to get it printed as a Christmas gift. I always see calendars that open up from the center and can be pinned to the wall. And they are bound in the center. I have two now, one is stitched and the other has wire coil. This class has produced 13 pages @  8 inches x 10.5 inches. So what do I do now and where is a good place to get it printed. It's for my granddaughter, Jackie, who lives nearby. I only have one more page to finish, for December. Here are July thru November finished.

07-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-JULY-600.jpg

08-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-AUGUST-600.jpg

09-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-SEPT_600.jpg

10-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-OCT_600.jpg

11-2024 WILDLIFE OF BOTSWANA CALENDAR-NOV_600.jpg

I was able to read the Badger and Caracal text.  How interesting about the Badger, they must have a way to digest and filter out the poisons.  Unreal.  Ann, I'm so blown away by this Calendar.  I'll head to FB today and see if you have posted them there so I can read the rest.  The information is very interesting.  

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I was able to read the Badger and Caracal text.  How interesting about the Badger, they must have a way to digest and filter out the poisons.  Unreal.  Ann, I'm so blown away by this Calendar.  I'll head to FB today and see if you have posted them there so I can read the rest.  The information is very interesting.  

They're not on Facebook yet. I might not because Jackie is on my Friends list and I don't want her to see them prematurely. I can send them to you on Messenger, if that would help. Have you ever had any of  your work printed?

Edited by Ann Seeber

11 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

They're not on Facebook yet. I might not because Jackie is on my Friends list and I don't want her to see them prematurely. I can send them to you on Messenger, if that would help. Have you ever had any of  your work printed?

If you use FB Messenger, it will shrink the images even more and you won't get anything good to read! FB does that!

Ann,  I doubt that you will find an online printing company, such as VistaPrint to print and bind your calendar in the way  you want.   You will have to make many changes, such as resizing, without distortion for instance, which will fit  the large number  of templates they offer.  These calendars come with premade months, and backgrounds.  I often have  my work printed onto canvas, using a British online printing service,  for gifts.  I always  select the size I want to use first, from the printer selection, as invariably, if I don't  I will have to make changes in order for it to fit  one of their canvas sizes.  

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I never had.  I have always wanted a color printer, but the ones i want are too expensive for a hobby.  If I was making money, that would be a different story.  I too would like to find a good outsourced printer.  I used to be a photofinisher so I am picky and have had to compromise over the years in what the local photo place prints.  I get a test print done and have had to actually tell they what to do, eg. -/+ density, take out Cyan, add Magenta, etc.  Now I just think; can I live with this, it's just a Christmas card people will eventually throw away.  

I really want to get some layouts printed (outsourced), just to see what they are like. And go from there.  I'd like somewhere good though.  I should bite the bullet and test some out.  I'll have to put a little money out for testing.  However, I just looked up a local printing place I go for Calendars, they are insanely expensive, even for tiny 6x8 ones.  I think it actually would be cheaper to buy a printer (even the expensive one) and print my own. 

I will wait for the big reveal after Christmas, when you have given the gift and can freely paste on FB like you do every month.  I look forward that! 

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

If you use FB Messenger, it will shrink the images even more and you won't get anything good to read! FB does that!

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Ann,  I doubt that you will find an online printing company, such as VistaPrint to print and bind your calendar in the way  you want.   You will have to make many changes, such as resizing, without distortion for instance, which will fit  the large number  of templates they offer.  These calendars come with premade months, and backgrounds.  I often have  my work printed onto canvas, using a British online printing service,  for gifts.  I always  select the size I want to use first, from the printer selection, as invariably, if I don't  I will have to make changes in order for it to fit  one of their canvas sizes.  

This is good stuff to know for me too.  I like total control over my printing, for example, I'm doing a square card this year, and thought I'd save time and get it printed, no one local offers that (without going to a professional print company-$$$).  A printer would be the way to go.  They are so expensive, as I want one that has 10 inks!  I wonder if I'll have enough use for it to warrant the cost and dealing with jammed ink heads from lack of use.  That's why I've always outsourced.  

I am however lucky that I have a coil binder, that's the cheap part of the process though.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

This is good stuff to know for me too.  I like total control over my printing, for example, I'm doing a square card this year, and thought I'd save time and get it printed, no one local offers that (without going to a professional print company-$$$).  A printer would be the way to go.  They are so expensive, as I want one that has 10 inks!  I wonder if I'll have enough use for it to warrant the cost and dealing with jammed ink heads from lack of use.  That's why I've always outsourced.  

I print everything off myself.  Using good quality paper, it's worth paying the extra.  I use HP Photo premium (matt) paper for the calendars, as I'm able to print on both sides.  Avery products for cards etc.  For the calendars I round the corners, or other punches to subtly remove the  sharp edges.  Everything , is always  well received.  Several years ago I looked into buying the wire binding kit, but for the price it wasn't worth the expense.  I punch two holes, and use ribbons to use to hang the calendars. I will also punch holes in cards, to thread ribbon, of course it will depend on the  card. Choosing ribbon colours  to match the calendars, or whether it's for a  man or woman.  Once again, it's the little details that  count,  which get noticed the most, and remarked upon.   Bit like an error will stand out like a sore thumb.   I agree, although  it's nice to use your own photos in the calendars to personalise a calendar  using the online printing services, which are basically premade,  are excessively expensive.   I certainly couldn't warrant using them, for the number of  calendars, and  cards I  produce and print.  Also, for me it would take away some of the personalising   of the item.  It's all my work,  from start to finish. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

I print everything off myself.  Using good quality paper, it's worth paying the extra.  I use HP Photo premium (matt) paper for the calendars, as I'm able to print on both sides.  Avery products for cards etc.  For the calendars I round the corners, or other punches to subtly remove the  sharp edges.  Everything , is always  well received.  Several years ago I looked into buying the wire binding kit, but for the price it wasn't worth the expense.  I punch two holes, and use ribbons to use to hang the calendars. I will also punch holes in cards, to thread ribbon, of course it will depend on the  card. Choosing ribbon colours  to match the calendars, or whether it's for a  man or woman.  Once again, it's the little details that  count,  which get noticed the most, and remarked upon.   Bit like an error will stand out like a sore thumb.   I agree, although  it's nice to use your own photos in the calendars to personalise a calendar  using the online printing services, which are basically premade,  are excessively expensive.   I certainly couldn't warrant using them, for the number of  calendars, and  cards I  produce and print.  Also, for me it would take away some of the personalising   of the item.  It's all my work,  from start to finish. 

That's how I want to be doing it.  My cards are handmade, although I do have to have the prints outsourced then I make the rest of the card after that.  Binding is a no-brainer and I did bookbinding (by hand) for years and am feeling the desire to get back into it again.  I've done cards in the past with pamphlet stitches (3-hole and 5-hole).  It's a lot work but in a way, quite relaxing as you must find it when you are creating by hand as well.  I keep thinking I shouldn't buy a printer because my hours at work are now 1/3 of what they were.  My husband keeps telling me to buy one.  I just don't feel I contribute enough to the family income to warrant such extravagance.  Silly isn't is? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ann, my go to for printing my layouts is Persnickety Prints. I do print 12x12 size but they have a multitude of sizes that can be printed (as photo prints). I just looked and although they don't have 8x10.5, they do have 8x10 and 8x12 for $3.99 per print. They also have 8.5x11 for $1.99 per print. The quality of their prints is exceptional and if you don't like it, support will work with you until you are satisfied.

If I was doing a calendar for a gift, I would use Persnickety and get the 8.5x11 prints and see if they would put a white border all around it. Then I would bind it possibly with ribbon like Sue suggested. Persnickety's customer support is awesome and works with their customers to make sure everything is what they wanted. Shipping is usually very fast, I've gotten orders within 4 to 5 days (Utah to Ohio). If I was doing a calendar for me, I'd just print it on my printer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ann, it's me again.  Please forgive me, as I'm not purposely picking holes in your work.  In the month of July, and the word July and June.  The letter J has what appears to be a diacritical mark above it. (acute accent).  Perhaps  that is how the font is meant to be, unless you chose the wrong fancy J.  Either way, and I'm not you, I would remove that mark, as the font itself is ideal for  the theme of your calendar.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Ann, my go to for printing my layouts is Persnickety Prints. I do print 12x12 size but they have a multitude of sizes that can be printed (as photo prints). I just looked and although they don't have 8x10.5, they do have 8x10 and 8x12 for $3.99 per print. They also have 8.5x11 for $1.99 per print. The quality of their prints is exceptional and if you don't like it, support will work with you until you are satisfied.

If I was doing a calendar for a gift, I would use Persnickety and get the 8.5x11 prints and see if they would put a white border all around it. Then I would bind it possibly with ribbon like Sue suggested. Persnickety's customer support is awesome and works with their customers to make sure everything is what they wanted. Shipping is usually very fast, I've gotten orders within 4 to 5 days (Utah to Ohio). If I was doing a calendar for me, I'd just print it on my printer.

If they were in Canada I'd use them.  You told me about them before, they use photo paper, not the stuff that gets scratched easily.  I liked their mandate (at time I checked it out) and was very impressed.  I need to find a Canadian version of a company like that.

@Susan Ewart I still have to have an "honest to goodness" camera.  Even though my cell phone takes marvelous pictures, the real deal for me is the camera.  I have a Canon - it's heavier than my old point and shoot camera, but it takes marvelous pictures.  I'm not the photographer you are (or Sue Thomas or Ann Seeber), as I use the auto focus features - but those are marvelous features on my Canon as it has various settings to choose from.  My mom and my Aunt each had one of those cameras that folded up like a "brick". But my first camera was a Brownie box camera and it did for me until I bought my first camera.  I don't have it any more as I gave it to someone who collects "antiques".

@Rene Marker Have you ever ordered a photo album from them?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Rene Marker said:

I'll look into that, Rene. Thank you!