Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Look for Zentangle, or ZIA (Zentangle Inspired Art). it's very relaxing thing to do. I used to do ZIA.  Actual Zentangle has rules and rules aren't relaxing so i went with ZIA.  Google Zentange and you'll find Rick and Maria's site ( i knew of her only from Calligraphy), but for lots of freebies and how to do the tangles go to Tanglepatterns.com 

Pinterest, Instagram have lots of ideas for doodle art and zentangle., and plenty of tutorials on   youtube

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Instead of turning 4 masks into one I  decided on two masks.  Seeing as I featured the ground squirrel on the front over, and  the magazine issue is a Spring one, I deemed it appropriate to  dedicate a page to them.  After all I have come to know quite a few of them very well, and they  me.

Magazine Day 6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 8

It never ceases to amaze me that although we all use the same templates, the end results are  incredibly diverse, covering a multitude of topics and interests.  What better way to  be inspired whilst learning at the same time.  We should all be very proud of our achievements. Whilst acknowledging, and giving credit to Carole.

@Carole, I thought I would apologize, before  the possibility of being reprimanded!  (only joking!)  lol

• Haha 2
  • Love 3

Wonderful pages, everyone!!! 

@Cassel: Thanks, Carole!!!!These templates are great! I have some mag style freebies on my blog , in 6x6 which I love and in 6x8 which is close to A5 and spreads beautifully and also comes close to the goodNotes format standard size, which I also love.

Font is Raleway, in different weights. I played around with the frame (line work) on page 1 quite a bit and settled for a style that is mostly slate. Not 100% on this one tho. Thoughts? 

spacer.png

Edited by bina greene
  • Like 1
  • Love 8

59 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Instead of turning 4 masks into one I  decided on two masks.  Seeing as I featured the ground squirrel on the front over, and  the magazine issue is a Spring one, I deemed it appropriate to  dedicate a page to them.  After all I have come to know quite a few of them very well, and they  me.

Magazine Day 6.jpg

So cute. For the first day of Spring, I thought this little meme appropriate...

spring is here.jpg

• Haha 7
  • Love 2

Day 6 of my trip to Het Depot and this page features the glass floor on which you can walk, although not everyone dared to! I saw people very hesitating set a step on that glass flooring! It was difficult to get a photo of the floor because of all the reflection from the glass everywhere. In the end I put my phone on the floor and was able to take a photo of a part of it. I have other photos where you can see the floor and the entrance to the restaurant but those didn't show the colors of the floor very well. Those show more the context of it all, but didn't look good in this page, even if I changed the templates to other dimensions. I'm planning to use these Magazine pages to print an album for the friend I was taking this little trip with. She will be 75 later this year and as she doesn't take much photos I think it will provide a nice gift. Of course I have much more photos of the museum visit and will make more magazine pages for that album. Luckily her birthday is to the end of November, so I have hopefully time enough to do so.

Het Depot-glassfloor-600.jpg

• WOW 5
  • Love 7

2 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 6 of my trip to Het Depot and this page features the glass floor on which you can walk, although not everyone dared to! I saw people very hesitating set a step on that glass flooring! It was difficult to get a photo of the floor because of all the reflection from the glass everywhere. In the end I put my phone on the floor and was able to take a photo of a part of it. I have other photos where you can see the floor and the entrance to the restaurant but those didn't show the colors of the floor very well. Those show more the context of it all, but didn't look good in this page, even if I changed the templates to other dimensions. I'm planning to use these Magazine pages to print an album for the friend I was taking this little trip with. She will be 75 later this year and as she doesn't take much photos I think it will provide a nice gift. Of course I have much more photos of the museum visit and will make more magazine pages for that album. Luckily her birthday is to the end of November, so I have hopefully time enough to do so.

Het Depot-glassfloor-600.jpg

Wow, I didn't realize it was so colorful! This is a great virtual trip you have given us. Thanks Corrie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

My day 6 project.  Even during our trip to Hawaii, I would always go out early mornings to take pictures of flowers and other things.  At the time of year we went, ( late April-early May), the Plumeria trees were in full bloom and I fell in love with them.  I was lucky to see this lady collecting blooms one day and she was nice enough to pose for a couple of pictures.

my day 6 magazine A   6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11

17 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

My day 6 project.  Even during our trip to Hawaii, I would always go out early mornings to take pictures of flowers and other things.  At the time of year we went, ( late April-early May), the Plumeria trees were in full bloom and I fell in love with them.  I was lucky to see this lady collecting blooms one day and she was nice enough to pose for a couple of pictures.

my day 6 magazine A   6.jpg

Such a lovely page and beautiful memory. A huge frangipani fan myself, I love the way your text alignment structures everything so beautifully. TFS!!!

• Thanks 1

My page 7 - Debra Lennox Art - Mendocino (that's in Northern California, on the Pacific coast, about 3-1/2 hours north of San Francisco). The background gradient is called Baseball, and I used a layer effect of Exclusion. The font is still Agency. I left the template as is because it worked for me. What seems most odd is doing layouts with NO shadows!

MAGAZINE-DEBRA LENNOX ART-PG 7_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 11

@Marie-Claire Maybe Poncho deserves a whole book, not just a magazine! ?

@Corrie Kinkel I think I would be more "confused" by the mirror ceiling than glass walls (although the glass floor might be on top of the list).

@Susan Ewart Another advantage of the digital world: you can try as many colors as you want or change your mind. If your background is "neutral" in the photos, maybe the background could be a bright color. Maybe one from the photo itself or one that makes sense based on the logo, or other meaningful element. And you don't have to have the same color all over. You can alternate also to have consistency instead of all different colors. Or choose one color palette that makes sense with the mood, and use that. Also, you COULD consider using a gradient or a textured solid. All possible options.

@Shirley From your description, I can't figure out what might have caused that issue with the Text tool. Maybe it was just a fluke? Hopefully, it won't repeat itself. Those designs you share might convert a few of us to that kind of "doodling"!

@Donna SilliaDid you mention where you got those waves? They come back, page after page, and it really ties everything together very well.

@Anja PelzerNice and clear page. Very legible text (for who can read that language!)

@Royanne Hewko That is definitely a perfect theme for a photo magazine!

@Dorothy Donn Very informative page. I would suggest leaving a bit of padding around the text on the right column, just to give it some breathing space.

@Michele It is fun how the blue matched your photo!

@Sue Thomas Who could have guessed that your page is based on the same starting template!?

@bina greene The line work is addressed later in the workshop, so as long as you save your projects in layers, you can always come back. On my page, I kept only one frame instead of both.

@Anne Lamp Great pose with that lady. I love your background!

@Louyse Toupin Did you happen to stretch the photo so it would fit the height? The people at the bottom seem a bit distorted.

@Rene Marker Perfect. By rotating the templates, you know what you need to showcase your photos the best. Keep doing that!

@Ann Seeber Yes, the absence of shadows is something that will go well in a magazine format. Of course, if one wants to include shadows anyway, I won't reprimand them, but this time around, no shadows also means faster pages!

Tomorrow will be the last lesson, but the tutorials will still be available until October 1st, so you still have time to catch up if you had to take a break or start late.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

It seems we all have to get comfortable with the changes that come with getting older. I always say: "As long as I don't look in the mirror I can still feel my younger self"

That's true, at a certain point you no longer age in your head, it's only when you see yourself in the mirror, and also when your body can no longer do what your head would like to do.

• Like 4