Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Yes, she literally writes by hand in Copperplate Gothic. They had an entire course on it in college. She has lots more pieces on display on her website here if you'd care to explore. 

I did a drafting elective in high school and penmanship was one of the things we had to learn.  I love architecture. But I sure bombed at drafting. My Calligraphy teacher has the most amazing handwriting and printing.  Calligraphy is considered drawing letter and not writing, that's probably why I was so bad at it, that and I was a heavy handed lefty.  

4 hours ago, Cristina said:

Last week, I stumbled upon a video suggested by YouTube, and it was about the reconstruction of Ground Zero...   I was surprised to hear the architect, Santiago Calatrava, was responsible for the designs of two buildings... It's interesting because before looking up the Öresund Bridge, I'd never heard his name before.    

In the USA, he is also the architect of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas, Texas, and the Milwaukee Art Museum, Wisconsin.

So, I decided to include this information and create another layout page for Day 2. Now, it will be a Double Page.

It's not exactly complying with the Day2 template, but being the "editor-in-chief" of this magazine, I think it's OK this time. ? 

Day2 MagazineWorkshop2023 Left.jpg

Day2 MagazineWorkshop2023 Right.jpg

I think your magazine needs become a hardcover coffee table book. What beautiful photos and the architecture is like large permanent art installations.  My hubby's parents were from Denmark.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I did a drafting elective in high school and penmanship was one of the things we had to learn.  I love architecture. But I sure bombed at drafting. My Calligraphy teacher has the most amazing handwriting and printing.  Calligraphy is considered drawing letter and not writing, that's probably why I was so bad at it, that and I was a heavy handed lefty.  

I went back to college for an AAS in Visual Communications and had the opportunity to do an elective in Auto-Cad, which is what the draftspeople and architects now use instead of hand drawing everything (which my daughter preferred - she hated Auto Cad. I call her my Luddite! LOL If she could she'd stick with a slide rule instead of a computer) Well, I LOVED Auto-Cad and begged my advisor to ok Auto-Cad II for me. I'm clumsy at hand drawing, myself, but Cad was a dream!  Deb has Cad in her office but hires people to do her drawings with it. ?

11 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I went back to college for an AAS in Visual Communications and had the opportunity to do an elective in Auto-Cad, which is what the draftspeople and architects now use instead of hand drawing everything (which my daughter preferred - she hated Auto Cad. I call her my Luddite! LOL If she could she'd stick with a slide rule instead of a computer) Well, I LOVED Auto-Cad and begged my advisor to ok Auto-Cad II for me. I'm clumsy at hand drawing, myself, but Cad was a dream!  Deb has Cad in her office but hires people to do her drawings with it. ?

I love the drawings, hand done ones, they are like art to me.  My friend and I used to draw houseplans when we were 12-13 yrs old.  I can imagine how bad they must've been.  One course in drafting(in high school) told me, I couldnt visualize the 3D space.  We had exercises where we had to draw the exploded 2D view of a cube with indents in the cube, or we have to draw the 3D version from the exploded drawing.  I couldnt do it.  I wished I'd paid more attention and wasnt so shy that I never asked for help.  I never really was taught how to "see" it both in 2D and 3D.  

35 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love the drawings, hand done ones, they are like art to me.  My friend and I used to draw houseplans when we were 12-13 yrs old.  I can imagine how bad they must've been.  One course in drafting(in high school) told me, I couldnt visualize the 3D space.  We had exercises where we had to draw the exploded 2D view of a cube with indents in the cube, or we have to draw the 3D version from the exploded drawing.  I couldnt do it.  I wished I'd paid more attention and wasnt so shy that I never asked for help.  I never really was taught how to "see" it both in 2D and 3D.  

I just went through reams of graph paper at home, re-arranging walls and furniture. ?

• Haha 1

Here's my Day 4. Hayden has a bunch of Barbie illustrations, especially now with the Barbie movie out. But I decided to go with his old-school collection. (I know it's supposed to be a two-page layout, but I was afraid if I combined it into one image, it wouldn't be very visible once I sized them down.) Hayden has a bunch of Barbie illustrations, especially now with the Barbie movie out. But I decided to go with his old-school collection. 

large.Day4page10101600.jpg.4c185edf1dc8794cb5d75b7e2c9257d5.jpg

large.Day4page20101600.jpg.7d712ce47aa8b388d198a1f0de974168.jpg

• Love 13

25 minutes ago, Michele said:

Here's my Day 4. Hayden has a bunch of Barbie illustrations, especially now with the Barbie movie out. But I decided to go with his old-school collection. (I know it's supposed to be a two-page layout, but I was afraid if I combined it into one image, it wouldn't be very visible once I sized them down.) Hayden has a bunch of Barbie illustrations, especially now with the Barbie movie out. But I decided to go with his old-school collection. 

large.Day4page10101600.jpg.4c185edf1dc8794cb5d75b7e2c9257d5.jpg

large.Day4page20101600.jpg.7d712ce47aa8b388d198a1f0de974168.jpg

I'm trying to visualize her dancing in those shoes with Fred Astaire -- backwards! You can do it, Babs!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 6  

Thank you to Sue and Rene for giving me some ideas using the blending modes.  I used a white layer above the paper layer (Brook Gazarek, DigitalScrapbook.com) and used a blend mode (I forget right now, sorry) and then reduced the opacity a bit so I could control how much of the layer below showed through.  The red kodak word is a bit overpowering (as Red tends to do) but is the color kodak uses - perhaps I should have desaturated it a bit.  The yellow frame is the other Kodak color.  On to Day 7.  I think it will be one page though.  I didnt photograph enough cameras and the night is coming to a close.  

For practice, I did do the lesson where we made it one mask.  here I used all 4 as it was better suited for this layout.  I'll try and get these posted on FB in the next week as I finish them all.  I see blurry Kodak and Cover Story, but they are arent blurry in the full sized image.  

Magazine WS Day 6 - 3A Folding Brownie-600.jpg

Sometimes, just sometimes, we have to be reminded of the tools that are available to us.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I had a difficult time getting started as I kept changing topics. This turned out very different than I planned. For many years my basketball team and I would compete in the Huntsman Senior Games. There are the Utah State Games and they are huge...over 10,000 athletes from the USA and 26 countries. Some years we went to the games, played and returned home. My favorite years were when we stayed and visited National and State Parks in Utah. I planned on highlighting basketball but put all my attention on  the beauty of Utah.

Day one

2023 9 20 1  cass-MagazineA-00 600.jpg

• Love 13

Here is my Day 6. This was a hard one for me, it is not perfect yet, but I am trying. Had a difficult time with text not showing until Carole reminded me to convert the text layer to raster. Even than PSP was acting funny and would not convert. I tried it with another sample and it worked OK. After stepping back a bit to get my energy back, it finally worked. However, I detected just a tiny border around the text, not the larger left side rectangle, just around the story text. After trying to get ride of that, I decided to leave it alone before messing up my whole project more.  My photos were not quite the right size so I made them fit and deleted the grey area. My project showcases : Natasha, YaPurr, Bella and Siegfried. Because I had extra spaces below the photos I decided to add their names. Font used  there : Amberto Bold. Font for Title as before Cat Paw. Added brown background with texture: Crumbled.

Anita-Magazine-6B-Scaled.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 9

10 hours ago, Anita Wyatt said:

After trying to get ride of that, I decided to leave it alone before messing up my whole project more.

@Anita Wyatt When I want to make a major change in a project, I rename it before I "mess" it up. For the original version, I would name it Day 6 01 01. The next version would be Day 6 01 02. That way if I hate 01 02, I could always go back to 01 01. Sometimes I end up with more than just two versions. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Day 7...I went in a completely different direction than Carole suggested. I used her filmstrip script. Featured are many of the other beauties of Utah!

2023 9 24 7 cass-Magazine 600.jpg

Bonnie I love your idea to feature the beauties of the National Parks of Utah, the photos are stunning and pay tribute to the region! I would love to see it for myself, maybe when I visit my family in the States again in the future.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

37 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Bonnie I love your idea to feature the beauties of the National Parks of Utah, the photos are stunning and pay tribute to the region! I would love to see it for myself, maybe when I visit my family in the States again in the future.

Corrie, it is a beautiful area and very different from the east coast where I live. I never had more than a day or 2 to explore but over the years I saw a good bit. The Huntsman Games are in St. George, Utah...the southwest corner of Utah. St. George was our base. Once we saw Zion, Bryce (twice) and Grand Canyon all in one day. We were treated to a full moon rising over Bryce...amazing. All my photos of that event are very grainy.

• Like 3