Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

31 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Anita Wyatt Since the white of the text might overlap a light area of the photo, you can move the whole title toward a darker area too, so it reads easier. For the issue about the text, maybe you had not reactivated the rasterized version of the text to turn it white?

@Dorothy Donn What do you mean by using "A009"? Are you adding a new mask? The template included has a mask layer "ready to use". Or maybe you had not downloaded the template?

@Susan Ewart When you have the Fill tool active, do you get that Dropper tool when you press the Ctrl key? Maybe, like for Suzy, the Dropper tool setting does not have a checkmark for the "Use all layers"?

@Ann Seeber I guess my brain just does not accept the fact that the image is straight!!! ? Maybe I'll need to make an open magazine script with less thickness! (yes @Susan Ewartsaw, I sasw the hint!)

@Anja PelzerI think you might have kept the black text on the Day 3 photo. In fact, you might have inverted the black and the white as the white would look good on that background.

@James Durrant If you had not mentioned they were kites, I really thought they were some sort of creatures!!! Looking forward to more photos!

@Corrie Kinkel Your pages might be a great example of where you could integrate a QR code to link to the app or to additional information. Check the blog for a tutorial on creating a real QRCode.

@Gerry Landreth Such a simple and "ordinary" topic, that can make a wonderful project. We often tend to forget about those "ordinary" things that surround ourselves.

@Anne Burgess Great photo of those sunflowers!

@Rene Marker That is a good idea to use darker instead of white. The technique is the same and why not? On the Day 5 page, how much time is there between the two photos? Other than the flames, they look like only seconds apart, but the visitors certainly didn't appear that fast.

@Anne Lamp It looks like you might have left the black vector layer under the rasterized one. At times, it makes for an interesting effect. It looks like your rasterized layer was shifted by one pixel down. If you move it two pixels up, it might actually look like a shadow! Glad you are getting the hang of it!

@Donna Sillia Learning something every day in these workshops!

@Royanne Hewko Oh cool. Visiting another part of Canada!!! That small out of bound effect is great!!!

@Sue Thomas No apologies needed. Looking at your pages with more text and such, it FEELS like you are working so much more than I intended, but if you are able to reuse other elements from other projects, that is PERFECT. Reusing is one of the benefits of digital work!

@Shirley What happens when you try to add text to the other page? If you describe the problem, I might be able to help.

@MoniqueN. You can leave the background white for now, and once all the pages are completed, it might become obvious what to choose. Since all the pages are saved in layers, it is easy (and expected) that you will go back to tweak them.

@Michele That is definitely a magazine topic!!!

@Marie-Claire with gray hair, you are in the best place here! I never colored mine, and it is now salt and pepper.

Tonight, I will be going to a special light show. I hope to get great pics to share after (maybe I would make another magazine?). It is called Lumina. Here is their site. I only have an old smartphone. I hope it will be smart enough to take reasonable photos in that context. This also means that I will be WITHOUT my computer for a while as I am NOT bringing it!

28 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Rene Marker That is a good idea to use darker instead of white. The technique is the same and why not? On the Day 5 page, how much time is there between the two photos? Other than the flames, they look like only seconds apart, but the visitors certainly didn't appear that fast.

I have no idea. These are not my photos, a friend let me download them from her Facebook post. So the metadata shows the date and time I downloaded them. I wasn't able to go to this in person. From what I heard, they had all the balloons inflated and had some paid rides during the day then brought them back for the evening and reinflated them, then did the lighting  and more rides when it got a little darker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

@ Cassel: Wait for a later page where I will add that QR code (I have used it before and it is ready in my stash) and the website to book tickets!

Oh ok. I just thought it was a bit unusual to have a mention of the app store on that page. I thought you wanted it to be a link ?

20 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Double page. The double page was perfect for featuring the Raptors, as stated on the front cover.   Some of the many Raptors that have  graced  me with their presence  over the years, around this time of year.

Magazine Day four (4).jpg

Sue I do more or less the same, I had my pages made rectangles in the first Magazine I did, and I have some extras too like a barcode and QR code, ready to use. I just adapted the fonts to this magazine because it has a completely other topic. I'm so glad it takes little time, I have such crazy weeks at the moment. As always your pages are stunning and informative!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

44 minutes ago, Cassel said:

When you have the Fill tool active, do you get that Dropper tool when you press the Ctrl key? Maybe, like for Suzy, the Dropper tool setting does not have a checkmark for the "Use all layers"?

yes, I use the ctrl key with the fill tool to get the dropper.  It used to work.  I checked the "use all layers box" (it was already checked but I unchecked it and checked it again) and it would only use the active layer, it even says it's the active layer on the dropper, but the "check all layers" box was checked.  I'm using 2022.  I'm going to be moving to 2023 when the new computer build is done.  2023 is quite laggy, even with 64 GB ram (new ram, not old), but the video card is old. I just use the actual dropper tool and it works, so it's not really a big deal.  I'm going to try the classic Materials palette too.  Mine acts weird when I use the dropper and the dialogue box is open.  It wont put the color into the Current box.  it just keeps reverting to black...if I used the Text tool previously.  It's something I'm doing that I probably didnt do before and dont realize I'm doing it.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

I don't think I can draw well enough. What exactly should I look for to find these tutorials? Pen art?

Look for Zentangle, or ZIA (Zentangle Inspired Art). it's very relaxing thing to do. I used to do ZIA.  Actual Zentangle has rules and rules aren't relaxing so i went with ZIA.  Google Zentange and you'll find Rick and Maria's site ( i knew of her only from Calligraphy), but for lots of freebies and how to do the tangles go to Tanglepatterns.com 

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Thanks 1

Day 5 features the rooftop garden restaurant were we had a lovely lunch and some much needed "sit down time". Like the whole building it had glass windows everywhere and mirrors in the ceiling. A bit unsettling at least that's what we thought at the time, but maybe we were just tired. Same font, other colors. 

Rooftop-Restaurant-600.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 11

Day 4

Right off the bat I see I forgot to take the stroke off the title.  I was going with the yellow-red color on the pouch of the light meter but changed my mind.  I like the way we changed the color of the (rasterized) font.  It's a neat effect. Still cant decide on a background as anything makes the left photo look dull and grey.  Unless I go for a very dark background.  My "virtual" editor of my "virtual" magazine would faint of the cost of a full color page!  ?

Magazine WS Day 4-pg 1-Accessories-600.jpg

Magazine WS Day 4-pg 2-Accessories-600.jpg

• Love 10

3 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 5 features the rooftop garden restaurant were we had a lovely lunch and some much needed "sit down time". Like the whole building it had glass windows everywhere and mirrors in the ceiling. A bit unsettling at least that's what we thought at the time, but maybe we were just tired. Same font, other colors. 

Rooftop-Restaurant-600.jpg

Wow, that would make me dizzy, looking at the ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 4

Right off the bat I see I forgot to take the stroke off the title.  I was going with the yellow-red color on the pouch of the light meter but changed my mind.  I like the way we changed the color of the (rasterized) font.  It's a neat effect. Still cant decide on a background as anything makes the left photo look dull and grey.  Unless I go for a very dark background.  My "virtual" editor of my "virtual" magazine would faint of the cost of a full color page!  ?

Nice! I recognized a lot of those a accessories from my youth. My dad was a hobby photographer and had his own darkroom which was in fact our bathroom that he could make 100% dark. I liked to be there with him and see the magic happening. In those days it was all black and white of course; he stopped when color photography came and switched to slides.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 4

Wow, this is super informative, Susan. A clear explanation for all those thing-a-ma-bobs real photogs use. ? Can you put s separate white background behind just that left photo? I've done that on occasion, myself. 

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Even visited by Transformers and secret base for Sector 7.  Just sayin'.  all kidding aside, I love these pictures. I've been to a tiny dam in British Columbia and thought it was awesome, can't imagine what The Hoover Dam would be like.  

Back in the day my Mom, Grandmom and me (as duty driver) took the southern route from Miami, Florida out to California,

I was never so scared as when it came time to drive over that dam. We lucked out with qetting a parking spot and took the tour. It was overpowering to say the least.

I was fine till the walk back to the car when I happened to glance down and got so dizzy grandmom had to drive on to Los Vegas.

• WOW 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Anita Wyatt Since the white of the text might overlap a light area of the photo, you can move the whole title toward a darker area too, so it reads easier. For the issue about the text, maybe you had not reactivated the rasterized version of the text to turn it white?

@Dorothy Donn What do you mean by using "A009"? Are you adding a new mask? The template included has a mask layer "ready to use". Or maybe you had not downloaded the template?

@Susan Ewart When you have the Fill tool active, do you get that Dropper tool when you press the Ctrl key? Maybe, like for Suzy, the Dropper tool setting does not have a checkmark for the "Use all layers"?

@Ann Seeber I guess my brain just does not accept the fact that the image is straight!!! ? Maybe I'll need to make an open magazine script with less thickness! (yes @Susan Ewartsaw, I sasw the hint!)

@Anja PelzerI think you might have kept the black text on the Day 3 photo. In fact, you might have inverted the black and the white as the white would look good on that background.

@James Durrant If you had not mentioned they were kites, I really thought they were some sort of creatures!!! Looking forward to more photos!

@Corrie Kinkel Your pages might be a great example of where you could integrate a QR code to link to the app or to additional information. Check the blog for a tutorial on creating a real QRCode.

@Gerry Landreth Such a simple and "ordinary" topic, that can make a wonderful project. We often tend to forget about those "ordinary" things that surround ourselves.

@Anne Burgess Great photo of those sunflowers!

@Anne Lamp It looks like you might have left the black vector layer under the rasterized one. At times, it makes for an interesting effect. It looks like your rasterized layer was shifted by one pixel down. If you move it two pixels up, it might actually look like a shadow! Glad you are getting the hang of it!

@Donna Sillia Learning something every day in these workshops!

@Royanne Hewko Oh cool. Visiting another part of Canada!!! That small out of bound effect is great!!!

@Sue Thomas No apologies needed. Looking at your pages with more text and such, it FEELS like you are working so much more than I intended, but if you are able to reuse other elements from other projects, that is PERFECT. Reusing is one of the benefits of digital work!

@Shirley What happens when you try to add text to the other page? If you describe the problem, I might be able to help.

@MoniqueN. You can leave the background white for now, and once all the pages are completed, it might become obvious what to choose. Since all the pages are saved in layers, it is easy (and expected) that you will go back to tweak them.

@Michele That is definitely a magazine topic!!!

@Marie-Claire with gray hair, you are in the best place here! I never colored mine, and it is now salt and pepper.

Tonight, I will be going to a special light show. I hope to get great pics to share after (maybe I would make another magazine?). It is called Lumina. Here is their site. I only have an old smartphone. I hope it will be smart enough to take reasonable photos in that context. This also means that I will be WITHOUT my computer for a while as I am NOT bringing it!

Carole, I was going to add text on day 4.  All my layers were just as they sat after I had finished the page, but when I added a layer on top of the background page and activated my text tool  I got the T but I wasn't getting the flashing stroke to say the tool was ready, and when I wrote, the words didn't come on the page. I tried several ways to do it but had no luck, in fact my psp froze  and  I had to do some on another version but it was back for me to finish my page. I just thought the page looked a bit bare without text, but I have posted it now so it is ok, unless you have a solution. It would be good to know what I should have done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Nice! I recognized a lot of those a accessories from my youth. My dad was a hobby photographer and had his own darkroom which was in fact our bathroom that he could make 100% dark. I liked to be there with him and see the magic happening. In those days it was all black and white of course; he stopped when color photography came and switched to slides.

that's awesome.  I was lucky enough to print black and white in high school.  The school had a huge darker with 10 enlargers and a central station for the developing.  A far cry from when I worked as a photofinisher.  But that training winding film into cannisters came in handy when customers came in with the leader of the film sucked in, or it was wet and I had to open the cannister and wind the film into these little single light tight boxes so the film could be processed.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Wow, this is super informative, Susan. A clear explanation for all those thing-a-ma-bobs real photogs use. ? Can you put s separate white background behind just that left photo? I've done that on occasion, myself. 

I was thinking of ways to separate it.  that is a good idea and one I had not even thought of.  I could try, but not sure how the filers would reacte as they are transparent.  But I am intrigued and it's worth a try for sure.  Or I'll put a black border or green to match the swatch around that mask group.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I also shot mainly slides, the color is what the color is.  With print, as a printer it was my interpretation of what the negative should produce.  I rarely shot film once I got into photofinishing because it was cheap for me to buy slide film.  although we had to sent it to our head office in Ontario.  bummer, I would have loved to learned that aspect.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I am getting grey too and same, no more dying it.  although I only dyed it for a few years (at home) and just got bored of doing it.  Yes, the person looking back at me in the mirror isnt the one I see in my head.  Where did all the lines come from?  Therefore I painted all the mirrors black.  hahaha, just kidding, you need mirrors to make sure there isnt a piece of lettuce stuck in your teeth when you leave the house. ?

I still see my Mom in the mirror. I had no idea we ever looked alike until I got older.

• Love 2