Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thank you ever so much for your  complimentary words.  It makes all the effort worth while, even photographing  subjects. 

You certainly wouldn't want to  antagonize them, not one little bit.  They are at the top of the food chain.  They are aggressive  if not left alone.  I keep my distance when I encounter them.  Their fur is actually soft.  I have picked some up that I have found laying on the ground, during a moult.

you are so lucky.  Such diverse subject you get to encounter.  I did not know they moulted (if that a word - I do make up words now and then).  My cat has fur the same color on her sides.  She has tufted ears, and black ringed tail.  We call her our "Bobcoon"  cat (cross between bobcat and racoon).  She is the only wild thing we encounter...lately she has being hunting all the falling leaves (they are outside, she is inside - seems to work for her).  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 3 and we are still in Het Depot at a floor with different areas for restauration, conserving and packaging for transport of the divers art works. At some point there was a cabinet filled with all kinds of pigments and paint tubes. It was a pity that I couldn't take a shot of it due to all the reflections in the glass doors. The whole building, if you can call it that, is full of glass inside and out. The elevators have glass walls, the stairs have glass panels and there are even glass floors, which will be in another photo.

I kept the same font Copperplate Gothic but with colors from the photo. I added an artist impression of the building with some statistics.

The Depot 2-600.jpg

Love what you did with the title!  What an amazing building.  It would day several days to really explore it all I bet.

• Love 3

6 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Love what you did with the title!  What an amazing building.  It would day several days to really explore it all I bet.

We were there for a whole day and it is lucky or a pity that it is not allowed to enter the rooms which have their own climates and you can't sneak inside because they are locked with alarms and all. It is possible however to follow a guided tour and then you get access with the guide and after 10 minutes everyone has to be outside otherwise the climate in that room gets upset. There is a gard pressent when you are in such a room and he/she oversees it all and unlocks and locks the doors. I would like to go there for a second time! Maybe some day....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

you are so lucky.  Such diverse subject you get to encounter.  I did not know they moulted (if that a word - I do make up words now and then).  My cat has fur the same color on her sides.  She has tufted ears, and black ringed tail.  We call her our "Bobcoon"  cat (cross between bobcat and racoon).  She is the only wild thing we encounter...lately she has being hunting all the falling leaves (they are outside, she is inside - seems to work for her).  

Yes they do shed their winter coats, as do  all animals.  I can't think of any that don't.  I have found their  hair in and around the dirt after digging, and around their setts.  Even insects, not all, specifically those that have exoskeletons.  As they grow, they shed their old ones for a better fitting one. I have no end of photos of  discarded  grasshopper exoskeletons.   You'd be surprised of how much  wildlife there is living in urban areas.  I don't have anyone to give me funny looks when I'm on my hands and knees delving in the  under growth, or searching the underside of  plants. Here's a macro shot I took of a discarded skeleton of a  tiny grasshopper.  That is when they are at their most vulnerable, waiting for their new coat to harden, which takes about an hour. I also have shot  of them in the process too. 

grasshopper skin 17 July (1).JPGa.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 9

@Anja Pelzer Those tiles are so nice and they obviously match your photos. 

@Ann Seeber I don't know if it is just me, but I would like to see the image on your Day 2 project to be "straight". That is a personal preference though.

@Brian Smith Maybe you'll be able to share this magazine with the Newfoundland and Labrador tourism department!

@Rene Marker Although you didn't use white to display the half-title, you used another approach to achieve something similar. Very creative!

@Sue ThomasEven though these pages should be super simple and quick, I am sure you are putting in more time than I was expecting!

@Corrie Kinkel I guess using a different color than white works fine!

@Gerry Landreth I guess you didn't need to change the color of the text as it is easy to read.

@Marie-Claire It is interesting that those intelligent dogs are not typically used as guide dogs. I would assume they would be great at that.

@Dorothy Donn The pages are meant to be made very quickly so you can use the minimum and still get pages done. Go for it!

@Anne Burgess I can't help but smile while looking at your projects!!!

@Shirley Once you are done, it will be worth getting a printed version. You will be a featured artist in a magazine! And leave it on the coffee table as a conversation starter. Well worth it!

Keep them coming. It is so nice to look at all those diverse magazines!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is Lesson-3. The photo is of our Siegfried, he loves to grab a blanket and snuggle into it. He thinks he is hiding and I play along and make a big production of looking for him. Font is Cat Paw again and I used Carole's tip of duplicating the text layer, promoted to raster, selected the lower text and used Adjust, Brightness and Contrast at 255 Brightness. Used green for the text "Purrfect". Added color to background layer.This was fun!

Anita-Magazine-Lesson-3-Siegfried-Blanket-resized.jpg

• Love 13

I am so slow because I went down a rabbit hole on songs with color in them. ?

QUESTION: Cassel, on Day 3 video, around 4:43, you are able to color sample the red shirt while your plain text layer (a different layer) is active.  I used to have this ability YEARS ago, but had lost it. Can you think of the setting I have messed with which precludes me from sampling any layer except my active one? It is a terrific time waster! 

• Like 2

I finally got Page 1 - My Cover Page done. I truly know nothing about masks so used A009 to play with.

If anybody sees anything wrong just holler at me.

The font used is barbatrick and the background is from Universal Media/textures/panoramas.

CoverPage 01.jpg

Edited by Dorothy Donn
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

I am so slow because I went down a rabbit hole on songs with color in them. ?

QUESTION: Cassel, on Day 3 video, around 4:43, you are able to color sample the red shirt while your plain text layer (a different layer) is active.  I used to have this ability YEARS ago, but had lost it. Can you think of the setting I have messed with which precludes me from sampling any layer except my active one? It is a terrific time waster! 

I have a problem where I used to be able to do with the flood fill tool, control something and it would give you the eyedropper for sampling and it's not working anymore.  I have to go pick up the actual eyedropper.  when I use control it shows the dropper but wont sample.  I wonder if we both have a setting messed up.  

• Like 1

Day 3

I'm late, it's actually almost an hour into day 4....and I have to get up a 5am.  Not real happy with the shot.  Even thought they are all Kodak Brownies they dont play well together in a shot.  Tried lots of different thing and finally just stuck them on the very old (probabably) 70's photo cutting board.  Perhaps it will look better when the background is in place.  I am not sure I'll still with those colors in the title, but they are the Kodak colors.  

Magazine WS Day 3 Kodak Brownie-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 12

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

I would like to see the image on your Day 2 project to be "straight"

Here is the linocut with no other distractions. This IS straight...and how the artist wants the viewer to see it. Looking at the magazine page I decided to try a revision of the layout. See what you think of this now...

DBL064_First+Lilies_600.jpg

DEBRA LENNOX ART-PG02-FIRST LILIES-revised_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

Check the Dropper tool and see if you have the "Active layer only/Use all layers" checked or not (depending on your version).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 3

I'm late, it's actually almost an hour into day 4....and I have to get up a 5am.  Not real happy with the shot.  Even thought they are all Kodak Brownies they dont play well together in a shot.  Tried lots of different thing and finally just stuck them on the very old (probabably) 70's photo cutting board.  Perhaps it will look better when the background is in place.  I am not sure I'll still with those colors in the title, but they are the Kodak colors.  

Magazine WS Day 3 Kodak Brownie-600.jpg

I think my sister had a brownie when we were kids! I love this topic.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

@Marie-Claire Love the photos of Poncho, he is such a great model and your photos show your love for him!

Thank you Corrie. Yes I love him so much, as much as my previous collie. They give so much. Thanks to my previous collie, I came out of a severe depression without any other help.
Now, I fear this will be my last dog, although I fear I will have a hard time without such a friend. But this year I will be 69 years old, I hope Poncho will stay with me for a long time. But then get a dog again?...then I think, what will happen to that animal if something happens to me. Hospital, or not being able to go outside anymore, or what if I were no longer there.

• Love 4

11 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Marie-Claire It is interesting that those intelligent dogs are not typically used as guide dogs. I would assume they would be great at that.

They are very reserved towards strangers, they also do not like to be around crowds. But it is possible, and there are collies that are service dogs.
With my previous collie I always went to visit my mother, who had been in a retirement home for the last 2 years due to dementia. I also visit the other people with him, it was always a special experience how those people revived and often started to talk about their own animal that they used to have.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

Thank you Corrie. Yes I love him so much, as much as my previous collie. They give so much. Thanks to my previous collie, I came out of a severe depression without any other help.
Now, I fear this will be my last dog, although I fear I will have a hard time without such a friend. But this year I will be 69 years old, I hope Poncho will stay with me for a long time. But then get a dog again?...then I think, what will happen to that animal if something happens to me. Hospital, or not being able to go outside anymore, or what if I were no longer there.

How about an older rescue dog? You could rescue each other.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

It's amazing what pets do for us.  Dogs are special.  You are their world.  And they are so pure of heart.  I worry too about life without animals.  If my cat girls make it to old age I will be close to 70.  I cant image life without animals. yet I worry about the same thing.  I have to say you look way younger than 69.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

And the love between you and Poncho shows in every photo and layout. I feel the same about my cats. Since I am 82 and they are 13 & 9, who knows who will go first? If I'm ever left alone without at least one of them, I might adopt an older cat. They languish in shelters and deserve some love in their waning years, also. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2