Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

Here is my Lesson-4. I had a hard time to turn part of the text on the mat to white by using Brightness/Contrast. Every time I tried to select the Mat with the magic wand , it selected  the mat, and the text and it did not turn that text color to white. So I just left the text all in black. The photos are mine and the Font is Fiolex Girls, which I downloaded many years ago. I kept the pages separate, I do not remember how to turn them into a double page. I think we had a Master class or workshop on that. I need a refresher course.

Anita-Magazine-Lesson-4-Bella-Post-Scaled.jpg

Anita-Magazine-Lesson-4 BellaFlag-Lamp-Scaled.jpg

• Love 12

28 minutes ago, MoniqueN. said:

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the best background colours..........especially when you want consistency, but maybe I have to let it go a bit.?

My thoughts on your dilemma on choosing background colours:   Unless you are going with a theme, then possibly you'd want some sort of consistency.  Saying that it isn't as if you are trying to match colours on the same  page.  Each page tells its own story about a particular photo or topic.  The colours in my opinion should reflect on the  photo and topic. Take my wildlife magazine, I have used different backgrounds. They  are subtle  colours, for a magazine I wouldn't use bold colours.  When creating a magazine you need to leave your scrap book hat on the shelf, as they are two very different creative disciplines.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Here is Day 5 - page 6 of Debra Lennox Art - Category: Many Moons - Linocut "Dancing Moon." She does have many moons, but this is my favorite. I have it on my living room wall. Being consistent with the font: Agency. I didn't split the photo mat because I've been waiting for a template with a large area for the image. I'll try a split on page 7 or 8, depending on the templates. The background color and part of the title is flood filled with the off-white of the moon in the image.

MAGAZINE-DEBRA LENNOX ART - PG 6 - MOONS-DANCING MOON_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 13

56 minutes ago, Michele said:

Finally Day 1. I decided to use my favorite fashion illustrator as my subject. My only problem is which ones to pick!

large.Day10102600.jpg.a2daaba124999150fd679650493f195d.jpg

You would make  an excellent fashion magazine designer, or any other  magazine designer for that matter.  Your unique style  is perfect for the job.

• Love 6

I'm on the ball this morning, as I'm off kayaking this afternoon.  Day 5. Once I  created the 2 masks as shown in the  tutorial, I then used  the edit  selection tool to place the layers  where I  wanted them.  The background paper is a photo of a pair of mining bees, which I used as an overlay,  lowering the opacity greatly. I used the same font as for the Badger page.  For those that  may be curious or  interested the wasp  in the background of the  sweat bee  pic is a solitary wasp (Steniola species), they are ornately marked. (completely harmless). These gorgeous creatures are tiny, at around 8-10mm.

Magazine Day 5.jpg

• Love 12

3 hours ago, MoniqueN. said:

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the best background colours..........especially when you want consistency, but maybe I have to let it go a bit.?

Me too.  I have some that have white background in the picture, which of course only "looks" white to the eye.  So if I add a background of any other color it looks dull and gray (which is probably what it really is despite what my eye thinks).  So far I'm just leaving it white and in the end will decide if I'll add a colored background or put a frame around any photos with too much white at the edges before adding the non-white background.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 5

Design Seeds is a great resource for me. For those of us who are color challenged, it's a great help to find a different shade of beige and muted colors that go with it.

GNL-MagazineA-005-600.jpg

ColorPallette.jpg

I agree, I love their pastely  (if that's a word) earthy  toned palettes.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 9/21/2023 at 4:31 PM, Susan Ewart said:

It's amazing what pets do for us.  Dogs are special.  You are their world.  And they are so pure of heart.  I worry too about life without animals.  If my cat girls make it to old age I will be close to 70.  I cant image life without animals. yet I worry about the same thing.  I have to say you look way younger than 69.

I have always had animals, I also wonder if I will be able to do without them.
The photo you see is from 6 years ago. I have very few photos of myself because I'm always the one taking the photos.
Meanwhile, post-covid, I decided not to color my hair anymore, and now I'm completely gray. That changes a person, I still have to get used to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

I have always had animals, I also wonder if I will be able to do without them.
The photo you see is from 6 years ago. I have very few photos of myself because I'm always the one taking the photos.
Meanwhile, post-covid, I decided not to color my hair anymore, and now I'm completely gray. That changes a person, I still have to get used to it.

I am getting grey too and same, no more dying it.  although I only dyed it for a few years (at home) and just got bored of doing it.  Yes, the person looking back at me in the mirror isnt the one I see in my head.  Where did all the lines come from?  Therefore I painted all the mirrors black.  hahaha, just kidding, you need mirrors to make sure there isnt a piece of lettuce stuck in your teeth when you leave the house. ?

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 4

@Anita Wyatt Since the white of the text might overlap a light area of the photo, you can move the whole title toward a darker area too, so it reads easier. For the issue about the text, maybe you had not reactivated the rasterized version of the text to turn it white?

@Dorothy Donn What do you mean by using "A009"? Are you adding a new mask? The template included has a mask layer "ready to use". Or maybe you had not downloaded the template?

@Susan Ewart When you have the Fill tool active, do you get that Dropper tool when you press the Ctrl key? Maybe, like for Suzy, the Dropper tool setting does not have a checkmark for the "Use all layers"?

@Ann Seeber I guess my brain just does not accept the fact that the image is straight!!! ? Maybe I'll need to make an open magazine script with less thickness! (yes @Susan Ewartsaw, I sasw the hint!)

@Anja PelzerI think you might have kept the black text on the Day 3 photo. In fact, you might have inverted the black and the white as the white would look good on that background.

@James Durrant If you had not mentioned they were kites, I really thought they were some sort of creatures!!! Looking forward to more photos!

@Corrie Kinkel Your pages might be a great example of where you could integrate a QR code to link to the app or to additional information. Check the blog for a tutorial on creating a real QRCode.

@Gerry Landreth Such a simple and "ordinary" topic, that can make a wonderful project. We often tend to forget about those "ordinary" things that surround ourselves.

@Anne Burgess Great photo of those sunflowers!

@Rene Marker That is a good idea to use darker instead of white. The technique is the same and why not? On the Day 5 page, how much time is there between the two photos? Other than the flames, they look like only seconds apart, but the visitors certainly didn't appear that fast.

@Anne Lamp It looks like you might have left the black vector layer under the rasterized one. At times, it makes for an interesting effect. It looks like your rasterized layer was shifted by one pixel down. If you move it two pixels up, it might actually look like a shadow! Glad you are getting the hang of it!

@Donna Sillia Learning something every day in these workshops!

@Royanne Hewko Oh cool. Visiting another part of Canada!!! That small out of bound effect is great!!!

@Sue Thomas No apologies needed. Looking at your pages with more text and such, it FEELS like you are working so much more than I intended, but if you are able to reuse other elements from other projects, that is PERFECT. Reusing is one of the benefits of digital work!

@Shirley What happens when you try to add text to the other page? If you describe the problem, I might be able to help.

@MoniqueN. You can leave the background white for now, and once all the pages are completed, it might become obvious what to choose. Since all the pages are saved in layers, it is easy (and expected) that you will go back to tweak them.

@Michele That is definitely a magazine topic!!!

@Marie-Claire with gray hair, you are in the best place here! I never colored mine, and it is now salt and pepper.

Tonight, I will be going to a special light show. I hope to get great pics to share after (maybe I would make another magazine?). It is called Lumina. Here is their site. I only have an old smartphone. I hope it will be smart enough to take reasonable photos in that context. This also means that I will be WITHOUT my computer for a while as I am NOT bringing it!

• Thanks 4