Calendar Workshop 2024

Cassel

14 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

If they were in Canada I'd use them.  You told me about them before, they use photo paper, not the stuff that gets scratched easily.  I liked their mandate (at time I checked it out) and was very impressed.  I need to find a Canadian version of a company like that.

I am in Canada and I have ordered from them before for single pages I wanted to give someone. I was also very happy with their quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I never had.  I have always wanted a color printer, but the ones i want are too expensive for a hobby.  If I was making money, that would be a different story.  I too would like to find a good outsourced printer.  I used to be a photofinisher so I am picky and have had to compromise over the years in what the local photo place prints.  I get a test print done and have had to actually tell they what to do, eg. -/+ density, take out Cyan, add Magenta, etc.  Now I just think; can I live with this, it's just a Christmas card people will eventually throw away.  

I really want to get some layouts printed (outsourced), just to see what they are like. And go from there.  I'd like somewhere good though.  I should bite the bullet and test some out.  I'll have to put a little money out for testing.  However, I just looked up a local printing place I go for Calendars, they are insanely expensive, even for tiny 6x8 ones.  I think it actually would be cheaper to buy a printer (even the expensive one) and print my own. 

I will wait for the big reveal after Christmas, when you have given the gift and can freely paste on FB like you do every month.  I look forward that! 

I have a Canon printer for years now, when one broke down(?), we bought a Canon again. I'm very satisfied with it. I print the calenders on not shiny (Matte?) photopaper and it really looks good. I don't know if in other countries you send "birthcards' when  baby is born, but I had the honor to design one for my granddaughter and it was like it came from a professional printshop. It depends also on the paper you use 🙂

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Susan Ewart I still have to have an "honest to goodness" camera.  Even though my cell phone takes marvelous pictures, the real deal for me is the camera.  I have a Canon - it's heavier than my old point and shoot camera, but it takes marvelous pictures.  I'm not the photographer you are (or Sue Thomas or Ann Seeber), as I use the auto focus features - but those are marvelous features on my Canon as it has various settings to choose from.  My mom and my Aunt each had one of those cameras that folded up like a "brick". But my first camera was a Brownie box camera and it did for me until I bought my first camera.  I don't have it any more as I gave it to someone who collects "antiques".

@Rene Marker Have you ever ordered a photo album from them?

Oh, Mary, thank you for the compliments and putting me in good company with Sue and Ann.  It's not the camera, it's the person behind the camera that makes the photos great and interesting.  I love to look at all styles and learn from them.  I really enjoy your travel photos as it's not a strong suit for me.  Types of photography I don't do, I tend to find fascinating.  And I never get tired of seeing old cameras, I loved them before I even thought of photography as a hobby.  Prior to this new camera I got (also a Canon) I was shooting with a 10 yr old camera, then was given another 10 yr old camera.  It's cool that you know who has your first camera.  I laughed at "antiques", most of us in the campus would qualify...I hope we dont get snatched up and put on a shelf, and if we do, I hope they are better than me at dusting regularly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MoniqueN. said:

I have a Canon printer for years now, when one broke down(?), we bought a Canon again. I'm very satisfied with it. I print the calenders on not shiny (Matte?) photopaper and it really looks good. I don't know if in other countries you send "birthcards' when  baby is born, but I had the honor to design one for my granddaughter and it was like it came from a professional printshop. It depends also on the paper you use 🙂

Thank you, I am looking at Canon and Espon.  Leaning a little toward the Canon as the one I want has 12 colors.  

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

I am in Canada and I have ordered from them before for single pages I wanted to give someone. I was also very happy with their quality.

but wasnt it expensive and was there shipping.  Usually that's the killer for me.  The price I'm usually okay with, the shipping is was gets me to empty the cart.

Have found Epson printers to be very reliable if I stick to Epsom ink. My tech told me the generic inks are missing an ingredient to keep everything smooth. I always print my monthly Wild Cat calendars just for my own refrigerator. I do want better quality for this Christmas gift. 

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Have found Epsom printers to be very reliable if I stick to Epsom ink. My tech told me the generic inks are missing an ingredient to keep everything smooth. I always print my monthly Wild Cat calendars just for my own refrigerator. I do want better quality for this Christmas gift. 

What size do you print?  I used to have a computer generated fractal art web page and had a friend with a large format Epson print a few 16X12's for me which came out beautifully. 

Epson for many years was the gold standard.  The one thing I didn't like about them is I found the heads got clogged and once they couldn't be cleaned anymore you had to throw the whole printer out.  You are right using Epson ink helps, but I still went through several Epson printers because the heads got clogged and I couldn't use them any more. 

That was in the very earliest days of inkjet printers so maybe Epson is better now, but I switched to Canon and still use them.  What I like about Canon is the print head is built into the ink cartridge and every time you change ink you get a new print head.  The most harm that happens when you get a nasty print head clog is you have to buy a new ink cartridge.

7 hours ago, Julian Adams said:

What size do you print?  I used to have a computer generated fractal art web page and had a friend with a large format Epson print a few 16X12's for me which came out beautifully. 

Epson for many years was the gold standard.  The one thing I didn't like about them is I found the heads got clogged and once they couldn't be cleaned anymore you had to throw the whole printer out.  You are right using Epson ink helps, but I still went through several Epson printers because the heads got clogged and I couldn't use them any more. 

That was in the very earliest days of inkjet printers so maybe Epson is better now, but I switched to Canon and still use them.  What I like about Canon is the print head is built into the ink cartridge and every time you change ink you get a new print head.  The most harm that happens when you get a nasty print head clog is you have to buy a new ink cartridge.

My Epson is just a personal size. I think the largest would be 8.5x14. I use the print option in PSP which seems to work well. I always struggle with the print being too dark, which I can adjust, so I'm pleased with the quality. It's binding my work into a calendar this time that has me looking to outsource. I've never had a clog.

Edited by Ann Seeber

17 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Rene Marker Have you ever ordered a photo album from them?

No, I've never done a photo album. I print 12x12 prints then insert those into page protectors that go in Creative Memories albums. The few photo books I have printed for gifts for my cousins have been done at Shutterfly. I wait until Shutterfly has an unlimited pages sale then order a book with about 100 pages. The quality isn't bad and my cousins absolutely love them since none of them are scrapbookers!

I have a Canon printer as well. From my very first ink jet printer to my current, they have all been Canon. My current printer has 6 cartridges and I have found that to be good enough for me.

As for cameras, yeah, my phone is not it. I have 3 cameras, 2 Canon PowerShot and a Canon T5. One is kept in my purse (Canon SX 740HS). The other is a Canon SX 540HS. This one stays on my desk. I need to have substance to my camera as my hands shake when I try to use my phone. I do have some photos taken on my phone if I don't have my camera handy but I much prefer a regular camera!

• Love 1

22 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

They're not on Facebook yet. I might not because Jackie is on my Friends list and I don't want her to see them prematurely. I can send them to you on Messenger, if that would help. Have you ever had any of  your work printed?

You can change the audience for specific posts on FB by creating custom lists or using one of the existing ones they offer.

image.jpeg.a8dfb059dd99099c8531c51381728042.jpeg

image.jpeg.b402387d74cf720143af520d78d58a79.jpeg

image.jpeg.9fd13aa756f671c53e0b9cfe5e242aa5.jpeg

image.jpeg.70eef67cbb941a95108782b68ce7b87c.jpeg

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

No, I've never done a photo album. I print 12x12 prints then insert those into page protectors that go in Creative Memories albums. The few photo books I have printed for gifts for my cousins have been done at Shutterfly. I wait until Shutterfly has an unlimited pages sale then order a book with about 100 pages. The quality isn't bad and my cousins absolutely love them since none of them are scrapbookers!

I have a Canon printer as well. From my very first ink jet printer to my current, they have all been Canon. My current printer has 6 cartridges and I have found that to be good enough for me.

As for cameras, yeah, my phone is not it. I have 3 cameras, 2 Canon PowerShot and a Canon T5. One is kept in my purse (Canon SX 740HS). The other is a Canon SX 540HS. This one stays on my desk. I need to have substance to my camera as my hands shake when I try to use my phone. I do have some photos taken on my phone if I don't have my camera handy but I much prefer a regular camera!

Thank you for answering, Rene.  I, too, prefer the real camera to the phone, although I sometimes use it. I'll research that printer you said you have.  It must be a beauty.  I have an Epson that I'm fond of but it won't print 12 X 12 - it has 5 cartridges.  The travel tale I'm working on will be over 40 pages by the time I'm through.  Shutterfly has been my go-to for printed albums (not many - just 2 so far) and I've been pleased.  So if I'm reading right, you wait for unlimited pages at Shutterfly, then order your 12 X 12 pictures which you place in page protectors and put in a purchased album.  Is that correct?  I think I can see that.  This is a great forum for airing problems in photography and displaying photos.  Before joining this forum, I would print albums with the Canon program (8-1/2 X 11) and was very pleased with it as it also gave me the ability to add text and clip art.  I would print out the pictures and put them in albums that had page protectors and everything was fine.  But I am so glad I graduated to this forum.  Carole is absolutely the best teacher (much like my cook book - great at step-by-step even if you don't know how to boil water!).  But now the problem is that I have so many layouts that I would like to get printed.  My daughter suggested that I put them in videos (I had also worked in Video Studio, and it was good for an ametuer, and was fun, but I'm a book person and like to hold it in my hands and flip pages.  Well, on to making a decision.  thank you for your input. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Have found Epson printers to be very reliable if I stick to Epsom ink. My tech told me the generic inks are missing an ingredient to keep everything smooth. I always print my monthly Wild Cat calendars just for my own refrigerator. I do want better quality for this Christmas gift. 

I have heard that, it messes up the heads or something as well.  we tried a no name ink in a very old printer once, didnt go well.  lesson learned.  

16 hours ago, Julian Adams said:

Thank you Julian, this is very helpful.  What I've been reading is about jamming issues and the print heads in the Epson's (I was looking at the eco-tank 8550 (13" wide paper).  Now looking to one of the Canon models (ImagePrograf).  Of course I'd like the 1000 or the 300, but probably as a first good inkjet printer I'll have to settle with the basic model 100, still I think it has 8 colors.  I didnt know that about the print head.  Does the ink last long?  

Thank you for answering, Rene.  I, too, prefer the real camera to the phone, although I sometimes use it. I'll research that printer you said you have.  It must be a beauty.  I have an Epson that I'm fond of but it won't print 12 X 12 - it has 5 cartridges.  The travel tale I'm working on will be over 40 pages by the time I'm through.  Shutterfly has been my go-to for printed albums (not many - just 2 so far) and I've been pleased.  So if I'm reading right, you wait for unlimited pages at Shutterfly, then order your 12 X 12 pictures which you place in page protectors and put in a purchased album.  Is that correct?  I think I can see that.  This is a great forum for airing problems in photography and displaying photos.  Before joining this forum, I would print albums with the Canon program (8-1/2 X 11) and was very pleased with it as it also gave me the ability to add text and clip art.  I would print out the pictures and put them in albums that had page protectors and everything was fine.  But I am so glad I graduated to this forum.  Carole is absolutely the best teacher (much like my cook book - great at step-by-step even if you don't know how to boil water!).  But now the problem is that I have so many layouts that I would like to get printed.  My daughter suggested that I put them in videos (I had also worked in Video Studio, and it was good for an ametuer, and was fun, but I'm a book person and like to hold it in my hands and flip pages.  Well, on to making a decision.  thank you for your input. 

I wish to print them too.  It sure is a conundrum; to print or not to print.  It's a huge expense.  I was thinking of print them as 10x10s or 8x8s to save a bit.  would be neat to have a revolving art wall where I can change out the pictures (I'm not talking the WHOLE wall, just a little cluster).  Would be nice to see them other than looking at them on the computer. We had Epson in the past and liked it.  It seems now that stuff just isnt made like it used to be.  It's hard to know what is reliable and well built and what isn't.  

Sorry if I confused you. The Persnickety Prints 12x12 pages go into page protectors that are in CM albums. Those are my personal albums. I also buy print credits when Persnickety Prints has them on sale. Normal price $1.99, print credit sale price $1.50. Then I can just order prints when I want. 

Shutterfly has a book design where you can upload your own layouts instead of placing photos into their pre-designed albums. The books I make for my cousins use that and I upload copies of my layouts to Shutterfly to make them. So at this time they have a Shutterfly book and I have the CM album but I have told them, the CM albums will be theirs when I'm gone.

My Canon printer is the Pixma MG7720. Nothing real fancy except for having the 6 cartridges. Only prints 8.5x14. Scan size is 8.5x11. I got it at Wal-Mart and have had it several years.

2 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

Sorry if I confused you. The Persnickety Prints 12x12 pages go into page protectors that are in CM albums. Those are my personal albums. I also buy print credits when Persnickety Prints has them on sale. Normal price $1.99, print credit sale price $1.50. Then I can just order prints when I want. 

Shutterfly has a book design where you can upload your own layouts instead of placing photos into their pre-designed albums. The books I make for my cousins use that and I upload copies of my layouts to Shutterfly to make them. So at this time they have a Shutterfly book and I have the CM album but I have told them, the CM albums will be theirs when I'm gone.

My Canon printer is the Pixma MG7720. Nothing real fancy except for having the 6 cartridges. Only prints 8.5x14. Scan size is 8.5x11. I got it at Wal-Mart and have had it several years.

Thanks for the answer.  I'm going to bite the bullet (if I finish the travel tale album) and buy it on Cyber Monday.  The previous albums I had printed at Shutterfly were great - couldn't afford the 12X12 but the 8X8 worked well.  Those were only about 20 pages.  Gave them to my daughter who really loves them.  Her children loved them too.  This one is going to be more than 40 pages..  I like my Epson 6100 printer.  I print out my greeting cards on them.  You said you print directly from PSP?  I haven't tried that, as I've been printing them from Word.  I may try that next.

• Like 1