Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

@Marie-Claire Maybe Poncho deserves a whole book, not just a magazine! ?

@Corrie Kinkel I think I would be more "confused" by the mirror ceiling than glass walls (although the glass floor might be on top of the list).

@Susan Ewart Another advantage of the digital world: you can try as many colors as you want or change your mind. If your background is "neutral" in the photos, maybe the background could be a bright color. Maybe one from the photo itself or one that makes sense based on the logo, or other meaningful element. And you don't have to have the same color all over. You can alternate also to have consistency instead of all different colors. Or choose one color palette that makes sense with the mood, and use that. Also, you COULD consider using a gradient or a textured solid. All possible options.

@Shirley From your description, I can't figure out what might have caused that issue with the Text tool. Maybe it was just a fluke? Hopefully, it won't repeat itself. Those designs you share might convert a few of us to that kind of "doodling"!

@Donna SilliaDid you mention where you got those waves? They come back, page after page, and it really ties everything together very well.

@Anja PelzerNice and clear page. Very legible text (for who can read that language!)

@Royanne Hewko That is definitely a perfect theme for a photo magazine!

@Dorothy Donn Very informative page. I would suggest leaving a bit of padding around the text on the right column, just to give it some breathing space.

@Michele It is fun how the blue matched your photo!

@Sue Thomas Who could have guessed that your page is based on the same starting template!?

@bina greene The line work is addressed later in the workshop, so as long as you save your projects in layers, you can always come back. On my page, I kept only one frame instead of both.

@Anne Lamp Great pose with that lady. I love your background!

@Louyse Toupin Did you happen to stretch the photo so it would fit the height? The people at the bottom seem a bit distorted.

@Rene Marker Perfect. By rotating the templates, you know what you need to showcase your photos the best. Keep doing that!

@Ann Seeber Yes, the absence of shadows is something that will go well in a magazine format. Of course, if one wants to include shadows anyway, I won't reprimand them, but this time around, no shadows also means faster pages!

Tomorrow will be the last lesson, but the tutorials will still be available until October 1st, so you still have time to catch up if you had to take a break or start late.

I started out on the 3600 x 3600 template. I then reduced to 600 x 600 and saw my text was just unreadable. Of course, it was jpg by then and became a cut and paste job to finish.

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

Another advantage of the digital world: you can try as many colors as you want or change your mind. If your background is "neutral" in the photos, maybe the background could be a bright color. Maybe one from the photo itself or one that makes sense based on the logo, or other meaningful element. And you don't have to have the same color all over. You can alternate also to have consistency instead of all different colors. Or choose one color palette that makes sense with the mood, and use that. Also, you COULD consider using a gradient or a textured solid. All possible options.

Thank you Carole.  I did play with backgrounds on my day 5.  I think I tried every gradient I have and I textured them and left them untextured.  I ended up with a background paper.  I also played with red color in the small type of the logo as well (Red) but in the end the black seemed better.  Would have like a letter with an O or if there was S, L and R in the lower case I could have just did those letters for a little surprise pop.  anyway, I used a paper for Brooke Gazerak for this one...for now.  

Magazine WS Day 4 SLR-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Day 5

This is the one I tried a gradient (it's a light one) with a Effects>Texture Effects>Texture

it's a bit bland, okay, A LOT bland.  I tried dark ones too, but the photos were too glaring.  Looking at the two of them, the darker version is better so i think I will explore a darker background version. Thanks for the help, more sets of eyes are better

Magazine WS Day 4 SLRv2-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 5

10 minutes ago, Dorothy Donn said:

Cassel You asked "What do you mean by using "A009"? Are you adding a new mask? The template included has a mask layer "ready to use". Or maybe you had not downloaded the template?

That was the number of the template that I used. Cass Magazine A -009.

Oh... silly me. I had not made the connection. It just seemed like you had issues with masks and I thought you were trying to add a mask where you didn't need to (since the template already had one for you). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 5

This is the one I tried a gradient (it's a light one) with a Effects>Texture Effects>Texture

it's a bit bland, okay, A LOT bland.  I tried dark ones too, but the photos were too glaring.  Looking at the two of them, the darker version is better so i think I will explore a darker background version. Thanks for the help, more sets of eyes are better

Magazine WS Day 4 SLRv2-600.jpg

I like this lighter version better than the darker one. On this one the cameras get more attention, at least that's what I think. Oh and I recognize the Pentax camera on the right which was my dad's and when he died it came to us. We (hubby and I) used it until it was beyond repair. It had a long life and all the lenses we sold at some point because we went digital.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you Carole.  I did play with backgrounds on my day 5.  I think I tried every gradient I have and I textured them and left them untextured.  I ended up with a background paper.  I also played with red color in the small type of the logo as well (Red) but in the end the black seemed better.  Would have like a letter with an O or if there was S, L and R in the lower case I could have just did those letters for a little surprise pop.  anyway, I used a paper for Brooke Gazerak for this one...for now.  

Magazine WS Day 4 SLR-600.jpg

I like this one! If it is too dark for you, try using a blend mode on the patterned paper with the layer below it being a solid color. I do that quite often with a white layer below a paper. If it is a large pattern that can be distracting, doing that will tone it down. In the case of yours, it might make it not so dark but yet not really light. Having it a little lighter might make the red that you tried (and didn't use) pop.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

50 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I like this one! If it is too dark for you, try using a blend mode on the patterned paper with the layer below it being a solid color. I do that quite often with a white layer below a paper. If it is a large pattern that can be distracting, doing that will tone it down. In the case of yours, it might make it not so dark but yet not really light. Having it a little lighter might make the red that you tried (and didn't use) pop.

I agree with Rene, I prefer this one too. I often use the  blend mode, with a  lighter  solid coloured layer below.  It often tones down the  original top layer.  You have total control on how much you want to tone it down by.  Even try other solid colours besides white. Different colours will yield different results. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I like this lighter version better than the darker one. On this one the cameras get more attention, at least that's what I think. Oh and I recognize the Pentax camera on the right which was my dad's and when he died it came to us. We (hubby and I) used it until it was beyond repair. It had a long life and all the lenses we sold at some point because we went digital.

My first camera was a Ricoh KR10, that my brother gave me for Christmas (That's his Nikon F3 in the photo - he just gave that to me for my collection this year), but what I really learned on was the Pentax K1000 in high school.  In fact that camera was in many high school photography classes.  It's a real workhorse and all manual, no Auto or Program modes.  I got that one this year as I had wanted one for my collection for a long time.  I'm thrilled to hear your dad had one and that you (and hubby) used it for many years.  I sold my Ricoh years ago and am now trying to find one for sentimental reasons.  The Minolta, Canon and Ricoh (KR5) came from my sister-in-law (married to the same brother who gave me the Nikon F3) as they cleaned out all their old photo gear and only use their phones.  My sister-in-law was a manager at a camera store for years.  I had a number of other SLR's over the years (I worked in a Camera Store for 7 yrs as a photofinisher) but you always remember your first (first owned, first learn on).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rene Marker said:

Excellent idea.  Thank you.

47 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I agree with Rene, I prefer this one too. I often use the  blend mode, with a  lighter  solid coloured layer below.  It often tones down the  original top layer.  You have total control on how much you want to tone it down by.  Even try other solid colours besides white. Different colours will yield different results. 

Thank you.  I'm not sure why it didnt even occur to me.  I was playing with opacity with the gradients that I tried (with white below or black below) but always seem to forget about the blend modes.  I will play a bit with them...probably after the workshop since I'm a bit behind.  

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I was flipping back and forth and they do stand out more.  I do need more contrast in the background and the mask layers.  I will try all the suggestions I'm getting...probably next week if I get all the workshop days done and caught up on the scripting.  I'm quite behind now.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you.  I'm not sure why it didnt even occur to me.  I was playing with opacity with the gradients that I tried (with white below or black below) but always seem to forget about the blend modes.  I will play a bit with them...probably after the workshop since I'm a bit behind.  

I play with the blend modes all the time with papers. You can get a completely different look depending on the mode your use. Also like Sue said using different colors on the layer below give different results. And, some times with the patterned papers, I will put the plain paper on top and use the blend mode on it which can let the pattern show through but not be real distracting. So many different looks can be created through the blend modes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I play with the blend modes all the time with papers. You can get a completely different look depending on the mode your use. Also like Sue said using different colors on the layer below give different results. And, some times with the patterned papers, I will put the plain paper on top and use the blend mode on it which can let the pattern show through but not be real distracting. So many different looks can be created through the blend modes.

these are really good ideas for me to try.  going to copy/paste these posts so I dont forget.

47 minutes ago, Anita Wyatt said:

Here is my Magazine Lesson-5, showcasing Natasha, YaPurr and Calico Tom, who is not really a Calico, but my husband liked the name and it stuck. Calico did too. All three are interested in their surprise visitor. I used a gradient in PSP 23  Ultimate for the background, Font is Cat Paw.

Anita-Magazine-5-Patio Party-Scaled.jpg

I love your cat pages, I am a cat over, I have 3 cats, 2 ragdolls, and a Miradoll who is from a registered NZ breeder..

• Love 4

Thank you Shirley! Ragdolls are beautiful. What does a Miradoll look like? I currently have 4 rescued inside cats and one long haired Patio Cat who is a feral. I have been trying to get her to trust me enough to become an inside cat. She is Siegfried's mother, and brought him to our patio when he was a tiny kitten. She would allow me to pet him and bring him in the house, but she refuses to be a house cat. I tried a couple of times and she totally freaked out. Our back patio is covered and we have a fence around the backyard. Also, 2 side walls of the house are on the right and left of the patio to keep the wind out. I have  plenty of warm cat beds and blankets for her when it gets colder and I rig up a little campsite for her. Most of the time we do not get that cold here in Texas. I keep telling her what she misses by not being a house cat. Well, maybe some day, I hope. In the meantime she gets her 3 meals a day, sometimes more and seems to be happy about that. Once I place her food down she comes up to me and brushes against me to thank me, but I only get to touch her just a little bit, before she gets skittish. I have to be patient. Some of the other cats I show in the workshops are our Rainbow Bridge Angels that will always be remembered and loved.

• Love 2