Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

17 hours ago, Deana Davis said:

all the samples sent in are wonderful!  wowzer!

Here are mine from lesson 5.  I love that we keep practicing similar steps.  I've done text on curves many times but could rarely remember how to reverse the text.  With so much practice I actually may not need a tutorial for that now.. woohoo

VL5-1textOnCurvve.jpg  

VL5-2textOnCurvveReversed.jpg

Clever. The medium is the message. I think I would like to copy your graphic and add it to my notes to remind me.

• Like 5

Part One of Lesson 5

I caught the PSP possession bug that others had.  Twice shut down unexpectedly -that's what it said anyway....if it's telling me that it's not unexpected then is it?? 

this image was from hubby and my walk Friday morning where we ran into a little friendly furry neighbour.  I took my camera for photo friday and got some textures I've been eyeing up on the walks.  The font is Mouse Memoirs, which I thought was funny.  

The shut down:  it happened when I was typing my text on the path.  my text did not fit and would have extended past (which I would have selected all and reduced the size).  Soon as it came to the end of the path line PSP popped up with the "PSP has unexpectedly stopped working" notice.  It happened twice.  I have used text on a path before and extended past without issues.  This is PSP 2022 Ult.  I think it might have been my temp files, so I've deleted the temp files and did a disk clean up.  I have 64 GB of ram, SSD drives, i5-6 core, 12 thread processor  (all gobbily gook to me) but not a great video card at the moment.  should be getting an i7 with more cores and threads this week hopefully.  I'm chalking it up to the system working too hard (images open, video on the other screen etc) and not to PSP at this point.

this is a fun lesson to learn.  And a very useful one for layouts.  On to part two after I do some adulting (read: housework).

Lesson 5 Text on a Kitty Path Final-600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Love 6

12 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Susan Ewart Maybe we'll make a design for such a T-Shirt!

@Donna SilliaYes, as the larger nodes are easier to SEE, they are not easier to SELECT. You are doing great and it is nice to hear that things are getting a bit easier. I hope the previous lessons also sunk in to help with the future ones. For the hearts on the ellipse, if you used a brush, change the rotation mode to Directional in the Brush Variance palette for the hearts to follow the path (that is just one option you can try).

@Leslie Gifford Cook Practice helps but so far, so good!

@James Brady A lot of talent, yours included.

@Dorothy DonnDid you try to watch the previous videos too? Are they also blacked out?

@Connie Collier I am glad you got the zip file in the end. If you needed to REVERSE a second time, maybe it had not reversed in the first place.

@Suzy Yes, you can reopen the .pspShape file, tweak it and re-export it.

@Corrie KinkelAs the lessons go, practice should make the whole process easier over time. Glad that the lesson 5 was easier.

@Jnet Allard Do what you can when you can. Even if you only do the basic practice, and come back later.

@Lynda DiGregor You are doing great catching up!

@CristinaI am glad that this lesson was easier. Giving you time to breathe a little more.

@Art Kuiper Keep it up. Nothing fancy is required. Practice is basic!

@Bobby YeaterI was wondering if you had exported that shape with the different colors. Although one can easily use those colors with the "Retain style", it might surprise the user if that checkbox is NOT checked. That's all.

@Anita Wyatt Did you get my email? Sometimes, just a quick Zoom call can pinpoint the exact step that is missing or in the wrong order. I have helped a few participants like that with such tiny details that made all the difference between being stuck and getting through the lessons.

@Gerry Landreth Great results for your practice. When you are not getting the correct selection, is the correct OBJECT selected?

@fiona cook It gives you a better understanding of how the path will affect the text. Did you check that article about moving the text on a path?

@Ann Seeber Catch me by email. A quick Zoom might help.

@Sheila HoggBeautiful projects!

@Linda J WalkerAre the previous videos still playing or are they also blacked out? I have not done anything in the backend, so that is strange. Please, update me tomorrow if the situation changes.

@Deana Davis With practice, it might get more automatic with time!

@Marvin FojtasekIsn't it annoying with a tiny detail is missing and causes the result to not work?

@Lesley Maple Vectors have NOT changed at all since at least version 9. The exact same steps work the exact same way. I wish everyone found the article on the blog about that text in reverse.

@sharon thompsonThat is a delicious-looking project!

@rjay seguraBeautiful composition.

@Cindy Lawrence Great result. You are catching up nicely.

Keep those projects coming. I can see that most of you are getting a bit more comfortable with vectors and nodes. Remember that practice is still important. Tomorrow, I expect the lesson will be easier.

Thank you Carole for the link to the tips on the PDF. They are very useful so helped me to adjust my text. I've only just got around to it so quite a bit later than your comments.

I made an additional adjustment to my image as the white text on the bottom of the circle didn't show up enough. I used the Lighten/Darken brush and right clicked to darken the image under the text.

Lesson5-SunflowerCircleText.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Michele said:

I'm a day late and a dollar short. I had to give up yesterday because my PSP was possessed. It seems to have been exorcised today so I finished Lesson 4. For the teacup, I ended up creating a zig-zag shape so I could add it on top of the cup shape. I'm learning a lot about the pen tool and nodes. Now if I can only retain the information. lol On to Lesson 5

large.Cup01withsmokedecorated.jpg.4ffb24a3a4d7c541af77a239bb880825.jpglarge.Cup02b-msf.jpg.327ead7ac6416cf600e08072a45a9fde.jpg

Same here Michelle, retaining it all. Copious notes and summarising as well as finding the time to practice. How did you make your steam from the cups?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Part One of Lesson 5

I caught the PSP possession bug that others had.  Twice shut down unexpectedly -that's what it said anyway....if it's telling me that it's not unexpected then is it?? 

this image was from hubby and my walk Friday morning where we ran into a little friendly furry neighbour.  I took my camera for photo friday and got some textures I've been eyeing up on the walks.  The font is Mouse Memoirs, which I thought was funny.  

The shut down:  it happened when I was typing my text on the path.  my text did not fit and would have extended past (which I would have selected all and reduced the size).  Soon as it came to the end of the path line PSP popped up with the "PSP has unexpectedly stopped working" notice.  It happened twice.  I have used text on a path before and extended past without issues.  This is PSP 2022 Ult.  I think it might have been my temp files, so I've deleted the temp files and did a disk clean up.  I have 64 GB of ram, SSD drives, i5-6 core, 12 thread processor  (all gobbily gook to me) but not a great video card at the moment.  should be getting an i7 with more cores and threads this week hopefully.  I'm chalking it up to the system working too hard (images open, video on the other screen etc) and not to PSP at this point.

this is a fun lesson to learn.  And a very useful one for layouts.  On to part two after I do some adulting (read: housework).

Lesson 5 Text on a Kitty Path Final-600.jpg

Beautiful cat indeed. The text swaggers too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would not have been able to make the shape prior to this lesson. The vector stroke is very familiar to me since I use it a lot. The diamonds were made from the cass gem script, and they were made into a tube since I am addicted to bling. The font is MrsBeasly, a nice thick font which is free.

dsdiamonds600.jpg

dsengagement2.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW 1
  • Love 6

On 7/5/2023 at 11:19 PM, Suzy said:

Hey! In the lFurther Vectors” Masterclass, Cassel references “free vase preset shapes in the Campus” …..does anybody know where those are? I don’t have a date for the class, so I’m not sure how far back to look, and I don’t know if it’s in the forums or elsewhere. I need more preset shapes!

Hi

I found what you’re looking for : https://scrapbookcampus.com/2020/02/theme-indoor-plants/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is getting lovely and creative now. I took the image of the heart from Digital Scrapbook and drew a path around it. Then ran the Cupid Arrows Picture Tube with the VectorTube Script.

Would there have been an easier way of converting the original heart to a vector in order to convert to a path?

Lesson6-Heart-VectorTubeScript.jpg

Lesson6-InitialVectorTube.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, Donna Sillia said:

Carole, is there a method to distributing the hearts equally? I used the brush palette to change to direction for vectorpaint and vectorstroke.

You got it with the Step. Unfortunately, there is often a tiny mismatched gap. The best solution is to try by tweaking the step, like instead of 110, try 109. Small tweaks might be enough to make that gap less noticeable. But otherwise, there is no way to get a perfect spacing.

• Like 2

Lesson 5 Part 2

I liked learning how to do this.  And I liked Deana's (Davis) post with the instructions, it helped me remember it.  I am a serial flower decapitator, for the sake of art of course. It's the first time trying to grow flowers of any sort.  I am very abusive and neglectful so I'm surprised to have any photograph.  I used the same font as the Part 1 project.  Not sure if I made mention of it in that post.  It's called Mouse Memoirs and I think it's from Google Fonts that came with my font viewer.  Photo is mine as mentioned, on grey so I can play with some textures and blend modes....when I get around to it.  

Lesson 5 Part 2 Decapitated Flower-600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 8
  • Love 5

Finally got it to work. PSP 2023 must have some preference settings which are  not compatible with this lesson. When I switched to PSP 2022 it worked fine. 

There are blue moons, why not yellow ones. My wife still thinks its the sun.  My second picture, below, is very small because I had to keep reducing the size to get this program to accept it. I wonder why, most of the other pictures in the forum are much larger.

Lesson #5 - Mountain Landscape with Moon.jpg

Lesson #5 Mountain Landscape Circle.jpg

Edited by James Brady
  • Like 10
  • Love 7

7 hours ago, Michele said:

Well, I caught up to Day 5 anyway. I've always had such a problem getting a smooth path using the pen tool. Now I know I have to change the nodes to symmetrical. All this time and I finally have my answer! 

large.TextonPath01.jpg.bc64437b38bae54cc1580a1089c2fb17.jpglarge.TextonPath02.jpg.7b1e6f5ec90f3f5c3bb4100433179a2c.jpg

Michele, the same goes for me. I once used to know how to do it and then I forgot and thought that it were my drawing skills that were not up to this kind of drawing by hand.

• Like 1
  • Love 1