Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

Lesson 6/day 6--the first 2 went just like the lesson.

But the text....no. I am not sure what I'm missing. I right click, convert to path. Choose picture tube, I do one and test the size, and I see that. When I run the script, I get a new layer named 'stroked object', but there is nothing there. I turn the text layer off, and there is still nothing there. I can change the tube, adjust the size, run it again, and get another layer 'stroked object', but there is nothing there? What am I missing?

6-day_1.jpg

6-day_2.jpg

Image6.jpg

Edited by Linda J Walker
  • Like 11
  • Love 2

Need some help. I am at the stage where the bevel is added to the wire. It is a raster layer but, when I go to 3D effects, all I get in the drop down menu is buttonize, chisel, cutout, and a greyed out outer bevel with no inner bevel at all. I tried getting an inner bevel on a separate image containing just the raster letter and the same thing happens. Any ideas???

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

LOL I seem to have the same affliction! Still trying to gear up to finish Lesson 2. ?

Me, too, Ann!  (Lesson 2.) But I have enjoyed all the over-the-top projects people have done. Really inspiring!  
Are you on PSP 2022? I’m going to reread what the others were saying about 2022 in case I have that problem too. I also need more screen shots in my written guidebooks, which I will be adding.  Then I need to figure out why my CRAP + Paste (or whatever is) it isn’t working. My shapes aren’t appearing in the  drop-down list. 

To all the peeps who did the vector curves …you can also save those. This would be the ones you made to go on a photo.  They’re easy enough to make, but if you want to keep them, you can open a folder called “vector text paths”  and add them in that. Then they are ready for when/if you need them. I have some I especially like because they are barely undulating and all text looks wonderful on them, IMHO. I think you just save them as a vector .psp file and change out the text. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, sharon thompson said:

Need some help. I am at the stage where the bevel is added to the wire. It is a raster layer but, when I go to 3D effects, all I get in the drop down menu is buttonize, chisel, cutout, and a greyed out outer bevel with no inner bevel at all. I tried getting an inner bevel on a separate image containing just the raster letter and the same thing happens. Any ideas???

Do you have the correct layer active? Occasionally, a different layer gets activated and of course, available commands are different.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cristina said:

Here is Lesson 7, and it went smoothly. This time I used Cassel's ChainBead-08 picture tube.

No problems with the arms or else... I wonder if the issue I had in Lesson 5 had anything to do with the image size or the number of nodes... Although I had clicked then numerous times on the center of the nodes, the icon (two curved arrows with plus sign in the middle) would not appear... That's why I had to move the nodes.

Still working on the extra practice of lesson 3... I am slow!

Lesson7_practice .jpg

I love the textures in this and how the wire for the beads is oxidized.  Great background.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

More on Lesson 2 with Labels 03-04-05. I am almost done with Lesson 2,  just have to play and create a few labels, using what I learned in Lesson 2. It will have to wait though until tomorrow afternoon, it is getting late and I am tired. I will probably dream about vectors.

Anita-Vectors-2-Labels-03-04-05.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Lesson 7

This is cool.  I had only used the knife once before for a lab.  I did have to duplicate the 'S' vector layer twice for each side of the 2.  It is hard to grab the right nodes to peel back.  I had less than 50% average for grabbing the right one.  And sometimes had to make the only one I could grab (the wrong ones) shorter so I could see the other node.  Is there another way to do it?  I need to still make the multi colored beads.  Might get it done tonight.  I loved this class.  I sure was clueless about Vectors before, now I'm a little more informed.  One key thing I learned...when I want to "convert to path" I need to switch to the pen tool.  I kept forgetting it and that option would be greyed out.  

Questions: in case they are burried in my text above and you miss them.

1. Is there an easy way to select the right node after using the knife tool.  what if the wrong one (the one you want to keep) is ontop?  can I shorten it a bit so I can grab the node I want? 
  2. Is this correct? when I want to convert to a path I ALWAYS need to switch to the pen tool?

Lesson 7 knife tool-letter S-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 8

@Mary Solaas That made sense since it was no longer a vector shape!

@Bonnie Ballentine You are catching up! How did I know there would be some pickleballs at some points!?

@Dorothy Donn I changed the links to the videos so they will play normally. I am still looking for a permanent solution.

@Royanne Hewko You combined that text on path with another technique, the multicolored text! Great result! That Thank you banner looks fantastic! When you will add those effects to a layout, you will see how they will pop out when you add a shadow.

@James BradyThose picture tubes can give such great results in the end. I hope you will use that again!

@Suzy I wonder if a script can be coded for the  CRAC-Paste effect. Hum...

@Susan Ewart Nice composition with the letter on the banner. I will answer the questions in a separate post.

@Michele Did you increase the step for the Gimp tube? It usually is "tighter" than that. Sequins are so much fun to use. Did you know there is a script to make sequins in the color of your choice?

@Jnet AllardIt is funny how I never expected participants to draw the designs on the mugs, but only the outline, yet, many did include the design. You are all going overboard, and I love it!

@Corrie Kinkel I love that spiral!!!

@Cristina Beautiful initial. Maybe we'll see that in a layout soon?

@Sheila Hogg yes, that script is a great time saver. I use it extensively when I create directional tubes too. I would not be able to do it without that script.

@Lynda DiGregor I am a bit puzzled how you get that partial outline. Did you move the stroked layer below the text layer?

@Natalie Spooner That card is a great way to use those shapes you will be creating!

@Deana Davis Glad you are learning something in those lessons. Your results are great.

@Anita Wyatt You got it!!! You will catch up! If you dream about vectors, it might mean more practice!

@Gerry Landreth Now, you HAVE to go see that movie!! No excuse! For the fringe, if you try with smaller step, the strands will get closer together.

@Marvin FojtasekThose two colors (gold and navy blue) go very well together.

@rjay segura I am glad to hear that you found some faster or more effective ways to do things with vectors.

@Donna Sillia Beware, that script can become addictive! You ended up with fantastic effects in the end!

@Theresa Di Cesare You will get there. The lessons will stay available for another week.

@Linda J Walker When you have tubes that overlap, be very careful as if you look on the bracelet, the beads on the left side overlap "in the wrong way": the beads further from the viewer appear on top of the nearer ones. Do you see what I mean? It creates a sort of optical illusion.

@Leslie Gifford CookThat is a great new logo. And you did it all on your own!

@Connie Collier Great assignment. You are getting better and better.

Again, I have to say that the results I see posted are fantastic. Keep them coming. They are inspiring everyone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:
  • Is there an easy way to select the right node after using the knife tool.  what if the wrong one (the one you want to keep) is ontop?  can I shorten it a bit so I can grab the node I want? 

Not really. When the cut is made, they don't stand side by side so the best is to click a little off the middle of the "star" node, hoping you grab the right one. If you grab the wrong one, you can always move it back, close to the other but not overlapping so you can still grab the other node.

31 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Is this correct? when I want to convert to a path I ALWAYS need to switch to the pen tool?

Although it is a good habit to take, you can see the Convert to path option even without activating the Pen tool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I figured out Lesson 4 from what you all have been posting.   I hope I am right as it seems to be :

1) Cups and mugs 

2) Dinosaurs

3) Vase

I did not try to get into any lesson  until I clear my cache as suggested but with a Trilobite drive it will take 2 days and I want to finish as I did need a refresher course on vectors.

Cassel: it's 1:36AM and I got into Lessons 5 & 6. Still locked out of lesson three which I would like to have to see if I am doing things correctly. My thanks in advance for your help and for this workshop.

FINAL CUPS N MUGS LESSON 4..jpg

FINAL DINO EXRA.jpg

FINAL VASE EXTRA..jpg

Edited by Dorothy Donn
  • Like 8
  • WOW 1
  • Love 9

Lesson 7 Extra

I used a preset shape and the Hue Map to change the colors of the beads.  Added bevel on the wire part and shadows and placed on lightly textured background. Thunder and lightning, it's 1am and I cant sleep.  gotta get up at 5am.  I'm going to tired tomorrow.  

Thank you Carole, this was a great eye-opening workshop.  I never thought I would understand Vectors and managed to bumble through them in the few labs I've done.  This workshop has given me more confidence in using them.  

Lesson 7 Extra-600 .jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 12

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Michele Did you increase the step for the Gimp tube? It usually is "tighter" than that. Sequins are so much fun to use. Did you know there is a script to make sequins in the color of your choice?

Now that I think about it, I think I might have used your sequin script. And, yes, I did increase the step for the Gimp Trim tube; I was playing with all the settings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dorothy Donn said:

Cassel: it's 1:36AM and I got into Lessons 5 & 6. Still locked out of lesson three which I would like to have to see if I am doing things correctly. My thanks in advance for your help and for this workshop.

Can you either clear your cache or try a different browser? The links for the videos are from a totally different source so they should no longer be linked to the downloads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love the textures in this and how the wire for the beads is oxidized.  Great background.

Thank you, Susan! For the wire, I used a golden pattern that I downloaded from the internet a very long time ago... I have a few of them.

The background is a "rust pattern" I downloaded years ago from the internet. I am not sure, but I think it was when I practiced one of Cassel's tutorials. It had to do with rust texture or something similar.

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 1

It's been a Great workshop. Very difficult at times but worth it. I used the candy cane picture tubes by Cassel, the Santa Claus from Janet Kemp at Digital Scrapbooking  and some black paint I  had in the garage.

I had problems with my PSP 2023 early on and switched to PSP 2022 which worked fine. The problem with PSP 2023 was that it would "ghost Out Or make the text  faint and unstable" when I tried to save it while doing these vector lessons.. I compared settings in my PSP2023 with those in PSP2022 and made them all the same as PSP2022.  This found one problem. The "create as:" tab on the Text tool bar was set to "selection" rather than "vector". On the far left of the text tool bar is the Presets: tab. I opened it up and clicked on the "reset to default" icon. These two changes  fixed the problem in PSP 2023. I recommend that each of you take some screen shots of your settings in "Preferences" and notes about the setting   on your tool bars  with "drop down" menus. Do it when your PSP  is working good so you can check it out when it isn't.

Thank you Cassel for all the work you put in on this workshop and all of you others for your comments and rating of my submissions.

Lesson #7-05  Santa Claus..jpg

Lesson #7- - Super S.-2023.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

Thank you Carole for a very creative workshop with all your valuable help (and for everyone's inspirational and varied ideas and comments).

The Picture Tube reminded me of embossing so I tried to make my surname look like it was made of gold metal.

I presume that the VectorTube script knows to run with the settings for the last selected Picture Tube. Is that correct?

Lesson7-CookMetal.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 5

I, too, thank you, Carole, for a most informative workshop.  Also, thank you to all who have contributed as your take on the various projects have been beautiful - and your comments have been helpful.  I've been very slow in working through this workshop.  I played with making a new "line" for the stroke to see if I can come up with a ball stroke that would enable me to make a layer shape I was working on in project 1.  However, still need to work on that.  I did finish project 2, but not past that.  I will continue to work on these projects but will probably have to post them in What Are You Working On In July/August.  Thanks again!

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, fiona cook said:

I presume that the VectorTube script knows to run with the settings for the last selected Picture Tube. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Once you set the Picture tube to the scale you want, and maybe the step you want, those are the settings the script will use.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

I will continue to work on these projects but will probably have to post them in What Are You Working On In July/August.  Thanks again!

This thread will stay open so you can continue to post your assignments in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1