Shadow Workshop 2024

Cassel

Papers and 
Photos:  10/10/80/10 The shadows don't look identical when sized down to 600. Isn't it weird how that works?
Ribbon:  15/15/70/15
Button:   15/15/60/15 Since the button was on top of the paper and not hanging over the background, I felt it needed a smaller shadow with less blur.
Scatter:    5/5/60/10
String:     20/20/70/20 The string seemed thicker than the ribbon, so I gave it a larger shadow and blur.

large.Shadows-Lesson1-Practice0101600.jpg.3b177a37a86a6d89d63d81701c038269.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Yes I started too.  Did just only the button and the green part. First I used pipet to get the info about the color of the button, then selected it bit darker, because it must become shadow. Select the new html from (copy) that colour. Then the 3d effect drop shadow and paste the html in it.  Did the same with the green part. 

Les 1 small praktijk.jpg

pipet.jpg

Edited by Chris Schults
resized images
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Daniel Hess said:

That last post by Chris Schults, when I click on either image, it is so small, can't really see much.  Still confused on what you were saying about html but I'm guessing you were talking about the six digit hexadecimal color code.  I use the classic color palette so don't see that wheel thing with those swatches in the corner on mine.

I tried to resize them again, maybe they look much better now. At first it was still not enough, got warning that one file was bigger then 296,96 kb. 

25 minutes ago, Daniel Hess said:

Just a note...some of these are really not taking up alot of file size space so can resize to larger than 600 pixels and still have much less than 500 KB when converting to a jpeg. Will allow being able to see a bit more for those who are trying to look closer.  That last post by Chris Schults, when I click on either image, it is so small, can't really see much.  Still confused on what you were saying about html but I'm guessing you were talking about the six digit hexadecimal color code.  I use the classic color palette so don't see that wheel thing with those swatches in the corner on mine.

Let's give it a try. Make sure to compress the image enough. Even 500KB can add up when we have dozens of participants and several lessons each 🙂

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Let's give it a try. Make sure to compress the image enough. Even 500KB can add up when we have dozens of participants and several lessons each 🙂

I did replace my posted images. But I got also warnings when they are bigger than 296,96 kb.  It says also under the messages. Schermafbeelding2024-08-20152121.thumb.jpg.68a7ab58ed948fddc658c6f2aaebbd3f.jpg

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

OK.  sorry.  I'll delete that post if I can..... I deleted it.  Everybody DISREGARD the iterations that are quoted in replies.

Edited by Daniel Hess

One layer was completely hidden under the other rectangle shapes so I moved it lower on the canvas so it could be seen. I also replaced all layers with layers from a kit I have. 

I used 10-10-70-20 on all elements. The reverse shadow was 0-0-80-10 on all but 2 layers. Those layers had the top edge hidden.

Shadows-Lesson2-Practice600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 9

My granddaughter in San Jose, CA, had a birthday early in August and I played with one of the AI programs that was offered for free to create a birthday card for her. She is a fan of the ballet so that was the theme I went with. Now I used the card as part of the Lesson 2 layout for shadows. I filled the background with red and added a white layer above that and used my eraser with the bokeh bubbles brush set to 3000. I just pulled this back and changed the colors of the exercise to match the ballerina's tutus. I also found the "hidden layer." 

Shadows-Lesson2-Practice_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
I just pulled this back and changed the colors of the exercise to match the ballerina's tutus. I also found the "hidden layer." 
  • Like 4
  • Love 10

My 1st lesson:

On the practice: Paper: 10-10-90-10, Ribbon: 12-12-75-12, Button: 15-15-70-15, Scatter: 5-5-80-5, String: 15-15-65-15

The different items on the tutorial: Frame: 20-20-80-20, Button: 30-30-70-30, Brad: 20-20-80-20, Ribbon: 12-12-75-12 (kept the same setting as on the practice)

Shadows-Lesson1-Practice_600.jpg

Shadows-Lesson1-Tutorial_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Just getting around to Lesson 1. I purposely did not look at any others before I did the shadowing on the practice layout. I more or less just followed the guidelines in the video, but did not add to the doodles since they looked like chalk or thick pencil.

Shadows Lesson 1_600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 7

Lesson 2

For all the papers and photo I used the same shadows as in the first lesson. I assumed that the green and pink are thin ribbons so they got a shadow with an offset of 15, opacity 66 and blur 15. Like Rene I noticed that one layer was hidden and I moved it a bit (the plaid one). For my own pleasure I replaced all the papers with different ones from a kit I have and the photo of the Nigella is by me.

Shadows-Lesson2-Practice-600.jpg

Edited by Corrie Kinkel
uploaded wrong image
  • Like 2
  • Love 11

And Lesson 2. T.he arrangement of papers and ribbons made me think of a celebration, so I used an image to fill in that white space. I changed the background to a darker colour to see how the 0-0 offset (negative shadow) would look. It did make a tiny bit of difference I think.

Shadows-Lesson2-Layout_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

I used Carole's shadows settings which I have saved in my shadows presets. The first picture is from my daughter. I didn't change much because I really liked the colors. The background is a PSP pattern lightened. The second background is one of my own.

dsshadows2.jpg

dsreverseshadow.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 10

Lesson 2

All papers: 10 10 75 10 

reverse Shadow 0 0 80 0

I had wanted to have some light papers on both the darker and lighter background to see the difference the reverse shadow makes.  I see the dark background is good with the 80 opacity at 100%, but the yellow ribbon it was really noticeable so i reduced the opacity and turned it on and off to just have enough to see the difference.  but now the ribbon on the darker background could actually benefit from a the whole 80%.  Do we get picky enough about reverse shadows to select what's on the darker background and bring the opacity back to full? 

sorry if I have any bad grammar, I should be in my car driving to work right now.  but hey, I needed to get this done...a girl has to have priorities, right?

totally wild color (put your sunglasses on.  I used PSP different textures and two marble overlays from Elif Sahin at Digital scrapbook.com.   

sje-Shadows-Lesson2-Practice-W Shadows-MERG-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 11

6 hours ago, Chris Schults said:

I did replace my posted images. But I got also warnings when they are bigger than 296,96 kb.  It says also under the messages. Schermafbeelding2024-08-20152121.thumb.jpg.68a7ab58ed948fddc658c6f2aaebbd3f.jpg

Resize in PSP - how I do it .  save as pspimage --- save as jpg, close the image,  open jpg, go to Image/resize - resize on the 3rd tab change 300 to 72 or 96 , go to the first tab and change 3600 to 600 or 700,  ok,   now click on jpg optimizer and save it in a folder for your resized images ,   my is named layout 72 ,   now you can go to any gallery and upload , 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Lesson2:

Colour palette from the colours in the photo. Rikrak drop shadow as card stock 20;20;70 20 and a reverse shadow 0:0:30:10. The yellow strip reverse shadow 0:0:50:10.

The pale vertical strips are reduced opacity, like a transparent tape, so wasn't sure how to make a shadow for them. Putting a shadow on only shows through the strip, making it darker so I left off completely. 

Shadows-Lesson2-Practice2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 8