Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

I spent lots of time experimenting with the plaid, including tinkering with the settings for seamless tiling. Since the photos are "busy," I wanted a pattern that wouldn't compete. The green "plaid" looks closer to a grunge effect. 

The photos are mine. Although I'm not a good photographer, I keep finding little bits of a picture that look nice enough to showcase.

The font is Welcome Spring from Creative Fabrica. The butterflies came from Pixabay. They already had shadows but in the wrong direction. Flipping them solved the problem. 

GNL-MaskWorkshop-Day2-600.jpg

GNL-MaskWorkshop-Day2B-600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 3
  • Love 13

DAY 1
I made the background myself, a neutral color, with monochrome noise above it.
With the brush tool I placed two stains.
Edges overlay by Marisa Lerin on Digitalscrapbook.
I made the beads with the script cass-Alpha Beads, with AR Destine font
The written font is Sun Island Regular
large.mclp_Masks_Worksh_24_02_12_d01-600.jpg.ce9414c5e350e273a90031f2b4c668a2.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 11

Day 2 - Continuing with my birthday trip theme, my daughter took some selfies at one of our favorites stops on the way home from Virginia. Jean Bonnet Tavern is filled with ambience and a lot of wonderful food. The font is called "Valentine" from Creative Fabrica, and the plaid background is from one of my Build a Kit plaids. I thought it matched the old quilt hanging on the wall. The dessert is Oatmeal Pie. My husband begged our wonderful server for the extra whipped cream.

dsjeanbonnet1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 11

All of my layouts for this workshop are being done for a book I'm doing for my cousin's family. So because of that I am using kits that I have in my stash so the book will look cohesive when done.

I had the template from last year's workshop so didn't even try to download it. 

Layout #1 for Day 2, kit is a retired kit from Bella Gypsy (Christmas Cheer). Template from 2023 workshop.

Layout #2 for Day 2, I used 2 kits, both retired from Bella Gypsy (Soul Sisters, Woof). Template is from 2023 workshop, extra for diamond members.

Font is Discover Beauty for both layouts.

20231217 Quarter Notes.jpg

20231031 SDPA.jpg

Edited by Rene Marker
  • Like 5
  • Love 10

large.whitecranegreenpinkplaidbbb600.jpg.31ac2f98efc142548ba2ba0d5c7d6ec3.jpglarge.whitecraneyellowbbb600.jpg.7b54f77878fd6270e73a8c0842451ebd.jpglarge.newshoesplaid600.jpg.02ab7cd7a5028c8dffd6d8ac7cd96c6f.jpg

large.2024123WhiteCranelady-DCS-Templatenovem2019600.jpg.dc62fa45c4f033bb951ee72949b9385a.jpg

This white crane was at our pickleball clinic. The yellow plaid and the green/pink plaid were created from that photo. The blue plaid was from Day 1 layout. Neither the yellow or green/pink plaid looked good with my layout.

Shadows added.

Edited by Bonnie Ballentine
  • Like 6
  • Love 11

Day 2  I gave up trying to make the plaid  paper and adapted one I already had. I was looking for the "custom selection" command in the wrong place.   GRRR!  I will try again to make the plaid for something else.

My project 2 mask workshop 2024 500.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 11

Here is my day 2. I addded blend mode of dissolve for the plaid because I thought the texture looked good for these photos. I also used a darker colour to make the text stand out as I was using white. I kept the paint spatters from the template and turned them red, just for fun. The fonts are Jokerman and Poemione. I seem to be building up a collection of what I consider are playful fonts.
image.jpeg.598aceb2eb78a06900295b64799e8563.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 12

6 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I spent lots of time experimenting with the plaid, including tinkering with the settings for seamless tiling. Since the photos are "busy," I wanted a pattern that wouldn't compete. The green "plaid" looks closer to a grunge effect. 

The photos are mine. Although I'm not a good photographer, I keep finding little bits of a picture that look nice enough to showcase.

The font is Welcome Spring from Creative Fabrica. The butterflies came from Pixabay. They already had shadows but in the wrong direction. Flipping them solved the problem. 

GNL-MaskWorkshop-Day2-600.jpg

GNL-MaskWorkshop-Day2B-600.jpg

Gerry, your flower photos are beautiful, I love the rose.  Really cool effect with your plaid too.  That's a neat way to use it, especially the top green one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.whitecranegreenpinkplaidbbb600.jpg.31ac2f98efc142548ba2ba0d5c7d6ec3.jpglarge.whitecraneyellowbbb600.jpg.7b54f77878fd6270e73a8c0842451ebd.jpglarge.newshoesplaid600.jpg.02ab7cd7a5028c8dffd6d8ac7cd96c6f.jpglarge.2024123WhiteCranelady-DCS-Templatenovem2019600.jpg.e20aacf839f8ffd2da69c6d10565fb38.jpg

This white crane was at our pickleball clinic. The yellow plaid and the green/pink plaid were created from that photo. The blue plaid was from Day 1 layout. Neither the yellow or green/pink plaid looked good with my layout.

The big question is.....how did the crane do at the pickleball clinic?  and who got to partner with him/her...the badger? or maybe a giraffe, both having long necks and all?  🤣.  All kidding aside, good choice to leave the background a textured yellow and great touch with the little foot prints.  Beautiful photos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harmony Birch said:

Here is my day 2. I addded blend mode of dissolve for the plaid because I thought the texture looked good for these photos. I also used a darker colour to make the text stand out as I was using white. I kept the paint spatters from the template and turned them red, just for fun. The fonts are Jokerman and Poemione. I seem to be building up a collection of what I consider are playful fonts.
image.jpeg.598aceb2eb78a06900295b64799e8563.jpeg

That plaid is OUTSTANDING!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Rene Marker Oh I see. I wonder if a reverse shadow would make a little separation between the two photos? That is going to be a great album and hopefully, you will have enough templates to help!

@Susan EwartIt is interesting how you combined the two photos into a single mask. Great job.

@Carolyn RyeHopefully, these exercises will help you grasp the concept of masks more than before. Those children are adorable!

@bina greeneI understand your reasoning for not putting the exact location. However, I am curious and it is nice to get even a general location (even just the country) when you have such beautiful photos. I have not heard back from Lady22 yet, so I put a link to a different template that is of similar type.

@Julian AdamsYou raise a good point. The steps that include the Float is a bit like making a selection with the Magic Wand to then reporting it onto the mask. The difference is that the Float command will maintain the semi-transparency of the section while a selection made with the Magic Wand would not, and would give a very pixellated shape. After a while, it will just become a habit.

@fiona cookIt is great to see that you are comfortable enough with the mask to adjust it to fit your need. Corrie was spot on about the shadow being inside the mask group... so it was masked!

@Ann Seeber I thought I recognized that font! I have used it before too!

@MoniqueN. I didn't know that about the green color. Isn't that interesting?

@Barbara Caulton I don't know why that step would freeze your PSP. Did you manage to get it done? Otherwise, you could try with the Hue/Saturation/Lightness and change the Lightness to get the same effect. I love your idea of the first seven weeks of the puppies' life for the 7 lessons!

@Emerald Jay That is such a cutie! I am glad you found another template on the blog. She has so many to choose from!

@Donna Sillia I love chocolate too. Will we have more chocolate pages? For the page with the red plaid, it definitely matches the blanket. I think that the outline on the text makes it a little harder to read. What would it look like without it?

@sharon thompson I am glad to see your progress. Your reasoning is really on point in how you do things and why. I am sure this "thinking out loud" will be helpful to others reading it.

@Corrie KinkelYou know that the X's are placeholders for whatever element you want to add, right?

@Gerry Landreth In order for the plaid to not overpower a page, you can do like you did and have it quite large and faint, or you can use a smaller scale, but depending on the colors, it sure can be tricky. You managed it well. It is great that you paid attention to the direction of the shadow for the butterfly!

@Marie-ClaireIt seems like Poncho is always ready for a photo shoot, right?

@Bonnie BallentineAre the shadows missing on your white crane layout?

@Anne Lampwhy did you give up on the plaid? Were you encountering issues?

@Anja Pelzergreat photos of those birds!

@Harmony BirchThe Dissolve blend mode is something that is not often used. You found a great way to integrate it effectively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 2 of the Mask Workshop.  It am finding it easier each time I attempt doing this.  Thank you Cassel for your comments regarding my beautiful grandchildren.  These photos were taken many years ago, and as adults they are still beautiful. I really like the way you did the background on this workshop. 

Day 2 Beau2 600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 13

Thanks for lesson two and the template update @Cassel and especially for the plaid trick! It works really well. But in this case (I played around with a plaid but then decided against it) I left the plaid at home 😉 . Lady22 (Bourico at digitalscrapbook dot com) has been sharing such lovely templates!  I really do like these simple, photo centered templates without much frou-frou...

My take for day 2. Haiku and most supplies myself. Mask Lady22. Fonts is Poppins on haiku and Omnium on title.

spacer.png

Edited by bina greene
  • Like 4
  • Love 10

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Rene Marker Oh I see. I wonder if a reverse shadow would make a little separation between the two photos? That is going to be a great album and hopefully, you will have enough templates to help!

@Susan EwartIt is interesting how you combined the two photos into a single mask. Great job.

@Carolyn RyeHopefully, these exercises will help you grasp the concept of masks more than before. Those children are adorable!

@bina greeneI understand your reasoning for not putting the exact location. However, I am curious and it is nice to get even a general location (even just the country) when you have such beautiful photos. I have not heard back from Lady22 yet, so I put a link to a different template that is of similar type.

@Julian AdamsYou raise a good point. The steps that include the Float is a bit like making a selection with the Magic Wand to then reporting it onto the mask. The difference is that the Float command will maintain the semi-transparency of the section while a selection made with the Magic Wand would not, and would give a very pixellated shape. After a while, it will just become a habit.

@fiona cookIt is great to see that you are comfortable enough with the mask to adjust it to fit your need. Corrie was spot on about the shadow being inside the mask group... so it was masked!

@Barbara Caulton I don't know why that step would freeze your PSP. Did you manage to get it done? Otherwise, you could try with the Hue/Saturation/Lightness and change the Lightness to get the same effect. I love your idea of the first seven weeks of the puppies' life for the 7 lessons!

@Emerald Jay That is such a cutie! I am glad you found another template on the blog. She has so many to choose from!

@Donna Sillia I love chocolate too. Will we have more chocolate pages? For the page with the red plaid, it definitely matches the blanket. I think that the outline on the text makes it a little harder to read. What would it look like without it?

@sharon thompson I am glad to see your progress. Your reasoning is really on point in how you do things and why. I am sure this "thinking out loud" will be helpful to others reading it.

@Corrie KinkelYou know that the X's are placeholders for whatever element you want to add, right?

@Gerry Landreth In order for the plaid to not overpower a page, you can do like you did and have it quite large and faint, or you can use a smaller scale, but depending on the colors, it sure can be tricky. You managed it well. It is great that you paid attention to the direction of the shadow for the butterfly!

@Harmony BirchThe Dissolve blend mode is something that is not often used. You found a great way to integrate it effectively.

@Cassel I managed to produce day one with many mistakes on my part reverting to  PSPx8 .I have just tried the hue saturation lightness as you advised in PSP23 and it works ! I have spent 2 days trying to fix it I didnt think to ask if there was a workaround ! Life is such a learning curve .Thank you so much. Brilliant your Grandson is liking legos . I still have my boxes of them from my boys and they always come out when friends visit with children. They stimulate the imagination so much as you have clealy seen .

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

Yes, they are! How did I miss that? Thanks, Carole!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bina greene said:

Thanks for lesson two and the template update @Cassel and especially for the plaid trick! It works really well. But in this case (I played around with a plaid but then decided against it) I left the plaid at home 😉 . Lady22 (Bourico at digitalscrapbook dot com) has been sharing such lovely templates!  I really do like these simple, photo centered templates without much frou-frou...

My take for day 2. Haiku and most supplies myself. Mask Lady22. Fonts is Poppins on haiku and Omnium on title.

spacer.png

love the composition and the power of simplicity despite using quite  a few elements

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cassel said:

Thanks for that explanation.  I still wonder about some of the other steps since I don't  understand the other ways to make masks.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cassel said:

It is interesting how you combined the two photos into a single mask. Great job.

Thank you Carole, but I'm not sure if I did it right in the first place.  I lowered the opacity of the photo and overlapped them onto the small rectangles (to be made into masks) and moved and resized those rectangles to fit the photo. then once happy with the placement I made them into masks, then duplicated the photo (which I had put back to 100 % opacity) and moved each one into each of the masks.  Is there a different way to do it?  I've done it this way before but curious if there is a different/better way to do it.

• Like 1

Lesson 3

I made the kaleidoscope pattern from a selection using the main photo (mine from my window) so that the colours matched a bit. I used another Melo Vrijhof Mask from Digital Scrapbook.com as it fitted the format of the photo better. For the 'Mama' text I used 'Selection from Vector Object' and placed the text selection over the main image and Promoted the Selection as a new layer which I slightly offset on top of the original white text.

Lesson3_24.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 12

I am late. But still looking forward to this refresher on masks as I really don't remember a lot from last time.

I have been enjoying PaintShop Pro Scripting and because of  time spent there, I had forgotten to sign up for this course (until today).

I have been finding Scripting very enjoyable though a bit hard a times (like if you use a variable and spell it slightly different in one place (such as using an upper case in one place and lower case in another - Okay that was me recently 🙂 ).. It is nice to know that Carole is available to work alongside us and provide assitance when we need it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3