Template Workshop 2024

Cassel

22 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Woo whoo! Day 3 Done!

This was an accidental photo.  I had just photographed these and had them lined up on the table and thought they looked like "players" on a theatre stage, so I snapped them, even with their little stands showing (kind of like looking under a skirt *GASP*).  

Papers (all):  Riley B Graphics (hmmmm...a pattern forming here eh?)

Fonts:  title is Action Is and the written script is Adorable Mother Script - both from Creative Fabrica

It took me some time to find the right color to use with the blend mode to get what I wanted, but it was fun to see what the modes do.  I love in 2023 that is shows you as you scroll the modes.  

Onto Day 4 now...

I'm really enjoying all the forum posts, such beautiful and creative work from everyone.  

TempWS Day 3 - Merry Cast-600.jpg

I like your aesthetic, Susan

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, bina greene said:

Thanks for this gorgeous template @Cassel. There is soo much in it. I moved things slightly around and turned it since I wanted to feature my poem as well. Font is Beach House. The huge layered flower in the top right is by Marisa Lerin.

That's very creative!  It inspires me to try something like that with the template too!

6 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 5. Felix was born this past summer. The pictures are some of "The Firsts" of his first year - winter (in Illinois), Halloween, and Christmas.

The papers are from Annie Digital. The fonts are Lato Light and Belgium.

GNL-2024-TemplateWorkshop-Day05-600.jpg

I love the crisp clean look Gerry

• Like 2
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I used to grow many plants from seeds. It was fun to watch them grow. Now, I'm just too lazy, and have a smaller garden (thank goodness!)

Last year was the first time I tried to grow flowers.  I'm making the most of them still.  I put the seeds direct into the garden and didnt expect anything and some into pots so i could move them around to photograph them.  I was surprised and happy that some actually grew.  I am going to try again this year.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Julian Adams said:

I like your aesthetic, Susan

Thank you so much Julian.  When covid hit, I still had to work through it and found it quite stressful. One day (to distract me from the world) I bought this table top photo course and was hooked.  it brought me back to my first hobby that I started in high school (Photography).  Design is hard for me.  But I'm told - Practice, Patience and Perseverance will get me where I need to be.  

• Like 3

You are all so busy and you keep me busy too 🙂

@bina greene Isn't it fun to have the option to tweak templates and still save time using them? Beautiful layouts! Are you trying to use PSP or are you reverting to using Photoshop?

@Shirley I don't think you are missing shadows. I think you might have skipped the blending for the leaves. Is that possible?

@Carolyn Rye It is not a problem to do things manually. With PSP, there are often more than one way to do something. You will get faster with practice too.

@Ann Seeber There is no way to create a bad layout with those faces, even if you tried!!! Interestingly, when we were in Ottawa a couple of years ago, at a restaurant, my husband ordered fish, and it was served in a basket with a similar newspaper. I think he asked for a clean one to bring home!

@Randy I am not sure what it is, but it looks like there is an extra layer at the bottom that shows just under the frame.

@France Rivest Beautiful layout. You are very comfortable with the shadows!

@Donna Sillia That is such a fun layout and you did very well with the golf balls!

@Anne Lamp That yellow "greenery" turned out great!

@Mary Solaas thank you for all the details you are sharing. I am sure others are taking notes!

@Bonnie Ballentine If you get a color change when adding a shadow, it is due to the partial opacity, so it will show the shadow through. If you want to add a shadow on the edge only, you can also a selection of that circle and add the shadow to the selection: it will only show on the outside. But your option works too. I love the wordart you are using on that layout.   

@Gerry Landreth We will never have enough of that cutie face!

@sharon thompson Yes the text wrapping might need a little getting used to but it can be so useful (just beware that in PSP2023, there is currently a bug that make the wrapped text UNWRAP if you edit it).

@Sharla I am glad to see that you are comfortable enough to tweak the template to suit your need.

@Sheila Hogg I love to create tools that are useful. If you have other scripts that you are hesitating to use, give them a try. If you are unsure how to use them, drop me a message!

@Harmony Birch Looking forward to see those growing plants. I hope the experiment is successful!

@Susan Ewart who could have thought that pictures of wilted flowers would be so elegant?

@Corrie Kinkel That doilie is lovely! And those white flowers stand out well on that purple environment.

@Emerald Jay It is so fun when you can get multiple similar photos. That is a fantastic way to display them.

@Julie Magerka I couldn't help but smile looking at those whiskers, and scrolling down, that owl made me giggle!

@Louyse Toupin Did you clip a flower onto the placeholder by accident? For Charley's photo, is it possible that you squished the photos? Make sure you resize with a corner handle, and if it is not fitting the space, crop it. Poor kitty will have a headache!

@Royanne Hewko Fun way to show people "in action".

We still have a couple of days of tutorials and templates coming up. Keep them coming. Did you notice how many people have posted so far? And how many projects have been posted? You are all so active, supportive, and inspiring.

• Love 1

Day 5 result. I had promised another new dragon themed tag for a guy who has a "Dungeons & Dragons" group (he has a truck, I don't, but I need one to haul soil etc for my garden so I make tags for his group emails all year).  I did try and work with the template but, after inserting all those menacing dragon eyes into the photo slots, I quickly abandoned that idea and deleted them. There was a circle and some rectangles left and, in the spirit of moving placeholders and using the pick tool for scaling, I went completely off script. The paper was a rescaled and recolored wallpaper, the dragons & flames were already in my stash but, because I usually work in tagger scale, I was constantly rescaling things. The pale dragon at top right was a jpeg so I had to tube it (I hate tubing) and there was no clear color definition. After adding it to the paper, I realized that I should have misted it as blurring the edges didn't work well. It was going to be blended into the background so it doesn't look too bad unless you zoom  in on some of the edges. It took several attempts with drop shadows to make the flames leap out a bit. Font is Brush Script Std. 

TP5 sharon (small).jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 12

Lesson 5

Our last boxer, she loved the enormous amount of snow we had that year. 🙂 Caya died very young, just 5,3 years. I just realised it's already 10 years ago she died.............

Background comes from Craetive fabrica, also the ricrac and ribbons en buttons 🙂

Template workshop 2024-Les 5-600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 10

On 1/16/2024 at 12:38 AM, sharon thompson said:

Great lesson. Easy to follow though choosing papers was tricky... the more scrap kits you have the harder it is to select down to something specific. I didn't use the dots as they were just too much because of the busy papers I was using. And I lifted the text bar above the photo circle as the bottom of the picture had a ribbed textured fabric in another colour palette so it had to go and hiding it behind the text bar seemed the easiest solution. Font is Cotton Candies and the papers are from kits by CathyK and LilyFee. Looking forward to another template tomorrow. Sharon

Choosing a kit is sometimes more time consuming than the actual project I think 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 1/16/2024 at 7:32 PM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Not sure I like this...but here it is. Wordart by Robin Sampson, Greatest Gifts kit, Digital Scrapbooking. Papers by Saskia Veldhoen, Classy Christmas Kit, Digital Scrapbooking. Green papers are simply a color with texture.

Maybe a bit much red? 🙂

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 4

Font:  Nelson (Creative Fabrica - Laura Worthington)

Paper: Riley B Graphics (Creative Fabrica)

The word "Echo" is the shadow only (of something once that was and now isn't) and I used it in the literary sense from a google search below.  I shadowed the frame but not sure I like it or not.

What does echo symbolize in literature?

In literature and art, an echo can symbolize memory, the past, or the idea of something being repeated or reflected back. In many cultures, the echo has been used as a symbol of communication, reflection, and the interconnectedness of different elements.Feb 26, 2021

TempWS Day 4-Echo-600.jpg

Nice trick to only use the shadow. In this layout it works perfectly. I must remember that!

• Like 2
  • Love 1