Scrapbook Bootcamp - October 2023

Cassel

Scrap boot Camp. Day 5. Project 2

Hi everyone .I think I have posted this in a couple of places as I got a bit confused, and just when I thought I was navigating the site quite well!! .I think I am in the correct place now.  My apologies. 

The raindrop papers were from my subscription to Creative Fabrica and the graphics were a purchase from the web site Nitwits.

The very dirty pup Jodi was having a great adventure in the rain at our holiday caravan.

I have struggled to get to grips with layers but since doing the sandwich project it has fallen into place so easily. Thank you so much Carole.

I am so enjoying this workshop.

Bootcamp Day 5 Project 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5

@Carolyn Rye Glad to see your revised layouts. You will learn the importance of shadowing to give the 3D effect you would have with traditional paper elements.

@Angelo Cacciari That layout with the shadows look definitely more 3D. With practice, you will adjust those shadows so that the elements don't look like they are floating. If there is something that is not clear, just ask the question in the forum. If not, you can click on the "Need help?" tab at the bottom, and it will send me an email.

@Doska St. It is interesting to see someone who puts the credits directly on their layout. I used to do that, but have stopped. Not sure why. However, it has helped me identify some supplies, many many years later!

@Emerald Jay Great updated layout. What do you think of the result?

@Anne Lamp It is great that your layout includes name and date. We know now, but we are likely to forget later, or someone else won't know. If you want more elements for your solar system, there is a freebie on the blog on this post.

@Ann Seeber I love that quote about the chipmunk!!

@Anja Pelzer As mentioned by others, your cast shadows are very well done!

@Gerry Landreth That is a great photo to showcase. I love his look!!

@Barbara Caulton Yes, you are in the right place. Posting in the "What are you working on?" thread, is not really incorrect. It is just easier to post in this Bootcamp thread so we can keep track. I am glad that the sandwich exercise clarified the concept of layers. It is SUCH an important concept. I was shocked when I heard that more than half of the PSP users, don't know/understand layers. MORE THAN HALF of current users!!!

Tomorrow, your third project will be delivered. It will show you how to use some new tools and techniques. Looking forward to seeing your interpretation.

• Thanks 1

Day 5 is now completed. On the second page the top photo on in a beautiful little area near Lillehammer. The bottom photo is Copenhagen.  Everything is so beautiful in this area. The little photo on the top right is of a yummy shop that sold the most wonderful chocolate - my favorite sweet.

large.BootcampPage2600.jpg.3185c94c06c4d3ee323b5a275921dfbc.jpg

Edited by Carolyn Rye
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

It is interesting to see someone who puts the credits directly on their layout. I used to do that, but have stopped. Not sure why. However, it has helped me identify some supplies, many many years later!

Hi Carole and Members,

Thank you Carole for bringing this up.

When I started scrapbooking in 2005 it was posted in my favorite forum because... required by the strict German copyright rules. At that time there were a lot of thefts from Scraps, which were then passed off as their own in other forums. And if you have your own watermark and main credits on it, then a lot more cover-up work has to be done, which then becomes noticeable on patterned backgrounds. that was frightening. I do it out of habit and precisely because I also want to show my work in German-speaking countries, for example on Pinterest. And as you have already noticed, it is often helpful years later to look for the source of the kit.

It is also advantageous if someone likes the kit and wants to look for it, then they don't have to ask.

My favorite font for these credits on the scrap is Eurostile because it remains easy to read at size 14 and takes up little space on the edges of the scrap.

Edited by Doska St.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

My great-nephew Noah requested a baby sister. It took him about a day to adjust when he was told that it would be a brother instead. He takes the responsibility of being a big brother quite seriously.

GNL-2023.10-BCProject02-600.jpg

Wonderful layout, Gerry. Can you tell me what fonts you used? They are different and quite interesting.

• Like 2

Melanie, I love the Indigo Bunting. We rarely see them here in Virginia.

Doska, my neighbors have a bald eagle nest on their property. Once, I got to go there and watch. I had always wanted to see an eagle in flight...and I did!

Here a younger buck wanted to challange an older, larger, more experience buck. The big guy wanted nothing to do with this little one but finally had to stand his ground. It was no contest. The little one was pushed all around. They never fought for real but it was obvious which one would be victorious. 

Red Stars: Amanda Brown, Digital Scrapbooking, 129333

Stars in text: Brandi White, Digital Scrapbooking, Chromies Stars

Font: Cookies and Milk

Antlers: CleanPng

Day 3, layout 1

large.2018910SeeingStars600.jpg.289789cce7e3290b65082f972e7635c2.jpg

Edited by Bonnie Ballentine
  • Like 8
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Wonderful layout, Gerry. Can you tell me what fonts you used? They are different and quite interesting.

Thank you. The font for the title was La Bamba LET. I don't remember where I got it, but it's available on DaFont and other sites. The "scrawl" on the side of the photo is Book Signature and came from Creative Fabrica.

• Thanks 1

BOOTCAMP 7-SANCTUARY -The title font is Belisha treated to a Chisel effect. The text font is Franklin Gothic Semi. The background is a photo of a local field treated with the Luminance layer effect. The bird is from "cpjess-tomorrow" kit and the top and bottom elements are from "ID-Face in the Photograph" kit. A bit of explanation about the center photo:  It was taken by my security camera which is mounted on a pole at the corner of the porch. You can see the pole's shadow on the left of the photo. Those stray cats are very skittish and hard to photograph.

2023 BOOTCAMP DAY 7-SANCTUARY_600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 5

Day 5, layout 2

A fun filled day with friends. We drove to Front Royal, VA which is to the west and offered a little more Fall color that we have at home. We shopped a flea market, had lunch and ice cream, shopped a thrift store and visited a local park. The park offered some color and photo opportunities. Title font is Script MT Bold. Journaling font is You All Everybody. 

Squirrel Stamp by DigiDewi, Kit: Autumn Day on Digital Scrapbooking.

Leaf in the title block is by Brooke Gazarek in the kit Crisp Fall Air, 19815.

The very small leaves in the center were extracted from a scatter by Jessica Dunn, Kit, Orchard Traditions, Leafy Scatters.large.20231021FriendsDay600.jpg.00353dc82a3b9e4b921f979197efc8e8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

My oldest daughter lives in North Carolina with her family (4 boys) while both my sons (each with one girl) and youngest daughter (with 3 sons) live in Georgia, as do my husband and me. So, it is difficult for all cousins to get together. The first weekend in October, my husband and I loaded 4 of the Georgia cousins (all but our 2 yr old granddaughter) in our car and drove to N.C.; one reason to all watch our youngest grandson perform in Children's Community Theatre and the second, just to let cousins spend time together. Every time they all get together its as if they had just been together the day before. They are all great friends. We took the opportunity to get a photo with the 8-out-of-9 grandkids.

And I am sorry, I cannot give you the information on where I got the different elements: I typed the list onto a separate word document to save--and then I mistakenly deleted it. I will do better next time.

Cousins2-600a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

6 minutes ago, Melanie Mitchell said:

My oldest daughter lives in North Carolina with her family (4 boys) while both my sons (each with one girl) and youngest daughter (with 3 sons) live in Georgia, as do my husband and me. So, it is difficult for all cousins to get together. The first weekend in October, my husband and I loaded 4 of the Georgia cousins (all but our 2 yr old granddaughter) in our car and drove to N.C.; one reason to all watch our youngest grandson perform in Children's Community Theatre and the second, just to let cousins spend time together. Every time they all get together its as if they had just been together the day before. They are all great friends. We took the opportunity to get a photo with the 8-out-of-9 grandkids.

And I am sorry, I cannot give you the information on where I got the different elements: I typed the list onto a separate word document to save--and then I mistakenly deleted it. I will do better next time.

Also, I know there is a leaf near the bottom of the project: I "uncovered" it on the most recent version, but then submitted the earlier version. I don't know how to delete this one, so just added the correct version.

Cousins2-600a.jpg

Cousins3-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Carolyn Rye Nice photos. If you look closely at the little hearts, you added a shadow that is wide. That makes them look like they are floating. Try it with a shadow with less offset, and it will look like it is flat on the paper.

@Doska St. Thank you for explaining how the copyrights work in Germany! I didn't know that.

@Bonnie Ballentine Is that photo from a trail cam? I love the added antlers you put in the title. A tiny touch but it makes it very special.

@Ann Seeber Although it is on a dark background and not too obvious, I can see that you added a great shadow to the top greenery on your page. It really gives that 3D effect.

@Anja Pelzer If you had not mentioned the reversed shadows, I would not have noticed them. That is how great and subtle they are. Reversed shadows should never be obvious! For anyone not familiar with Reversed shadows, you can read this article.

@Melanie Mitchelllineup What a wonderful photo!!! It is so different from the traditional line up! I see you reposted a revised version of your layout with the leaf in the correct order. Good observation! May I ask if this is your Project 1 or Project 2? When keeping track, I rely on either the post (some will say so) or the visual similarity to the tutorial. I am unsure for yours.

So, you will have another day "off" tomorrow if you have already done your Project 3, or a day to catch up. We have dozens of registrants who never posted. Are you ok? Are you having issues with the emails or the videos? Are you stumped because something is different than in your version? If you have any issues, don't hesitate to post in this thread. We are here to help you succeed. And please, don't be shy or feel intimidated. We have all been beginners at one point and have all learned something since. With our help, PSP won't defeat you!!!

Just finished Day 7.  I am still highlighting our Scandinavian trip because it was so special to us.  I have always wanted to go to Denmark and Norway because my grandmother was from Denmark and my Grandfather was from Norway.  As I was born in Australia, it was definitely on my "bucket list" to visit these countries.  This certainly exceeded my expectations.

Thanks to Cassel for all your tips on each of the projects I have delivered so far.  This is so appreciated as it helps me to learn.large.BootcampDay7600.jpg.605ef39531f649673abb604994944c19.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3

31 minutes ago, Carolyn Rye said:

Just finished Day 7.  I am still highlighting our Scandinavian trip because it was so special to us.  I have always wanted to go to Denmark and Norway because my grandmother was from Denmark and my Grandfather was from Norway.  As I was born in Australia, it was definitely on my "bucket list" to visit these countries.  This certainly exceeded my expectations.

Thanks to Cassel for all your tips on each of the projects I have delivered so far.  This is so appreciated as it helps me to learn.large.BootcampDay7600.jpg.605ef39531f649673abb604994944c19.jpg

Beautiful job on the layout, Carolyn. I wish I could travel with you to Scandinavia. On my own bucket list because my maternal grandparents emigrated to New York, she from Sweden and he, from Finland. My grandfather's last name was Hagquist but the officials on Ellis Island changed it to Higgins!? I think that happened more often than we know. Ironically, they got jobs at the famed Tuxedo Park enclave upstate a bit, and I can imagine the directive, "Higgins, bring the Rolls around." 😉

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Carolyn Rye Nice photos. If you look closely at the little hearts, you added a shadow that is wide. That makes them look like they are floating. Try it with a shadow with less offset, and it will look like it is flat on the paper.

@Doska St. Thank you for explaining how the copyrights work in Germany! I didn't know that.

@Bonnie Ballentine Is that photo from a trail cam? I love the added antlers you put in the title. A tiny touch but it makes it very special.

@Ann Seeber Although it is on a dark background and not too obvious, I can see that you added a great shadow to the top greenery on your page. It really gives that 3D effect.

@Anja Pelzer If you had not mentioned the reversed shadows, I would not have noticed them. That is how great and subtle they are. Reversed shadows should never be obvious! For anyone not familiar with Reversed shadows, you can read this article.

@Melanie Mitchelllineup What a wonderful photo!!! It is so different from the traditional line up! I see you reposted a revised version of your layout with the leaf in the correct order. Good observation! May I ask if this is your Project 1 or Project 2? When keeping track, I rely on either the post (some will say so) or the visual similarity to the tutorial. I am unsure for yours.

So, you will have another day "off" tomorrow if you have already done your Project 3, or a day to catch up. We have dozens of registrants who never posted. Are you ok? Are you having issues with the emails or the videos? Are you stumped because something is different than in your version? If you have any issues, don't hesitate to post in this thread. We are here to help you succeed. And please, don't be shy or feel intimidated. We have all been beginners at one point and have all learned something since. With our help, PSP won't defeat you!!!

Actually, I took the photo through a window. The contest got a little more heated but they were just practicing. 

• Like 1

The scrap kit is K.G. Chocklat. The font's name is Candyday BW and the name's font is Bell M.T.  I loved this photo frame so much that I switched over. If you don't agree then I will change to the tutorial. It's not that I can't the "snap to guide.' It's a matter of preference. But I sent this one to my bodyguards. like I call them. 

3 bodyguards 600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Hello,

this time I had some difficulties with the levels. There layers reported as "converted selection" and the Originalraster remained. I deleted them at the end because the layer list was getting longer and longer. There were no changes on the scrap.
I also had a problem coloring the tag behind the title. I wanted white, but then the pattern "Glitter" came from the photo frame. After some time I got the white somehow, but it looks like a grid. How can I make a written tag more transparent so that the background shows through a bit?

I took the Mother's Day kit from TDH from May 2023-BT and the Swirl is from marutis.ch.

Font:
Campanile & Vivienne

Translation:
Botanical garden
Art, architecture and botany.

In our city botanical garden is located behind an old art museum

large.DS-Part3-3photos_1023-II-600.jpg.39cb08bbf5f5d8863ad6f854b6ad2a71.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Good morning, Everyone 🙂 This is Lesson 7. I did use a glitter I had to flood fill the rectangle selection.  It's not so glittery.  lol  I used to use the guides and snap to guide all the time.  And I kept trying to pull a guide down from the top of my canvas, but it never worked.  Thanks for telling me about the ruler!  I forgot all about that.  Now I have them all checked and will use them always.  The name up at the top was an alpha set and the guide came in very handy to position the letters.

I had trouble with my cropping tool which made the resizing of the photographs difficult. The little tool bar on the bottom of it kept disappearing so at first I could not finish the crop.  I found I could double-click inside of it and it cropped the image.  But then the handle was gone too and I couldn't move the image.  I would have to close PSP and reload it again.  I find the 2023 version a little clunky to use, but i'll manage as best I can.  I have nothing but time. 🙂

I really enjoyed this lesson, I learned a lot. 🙂

Lesson7preview.jpg

Edited by Emerald Jay
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

21 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

BOOTCAMP 7-SANCTUARY -The title font is Belisha treated to a Chisel effect. The text font is Franklin Gothic Semi. The background is a photo of a local field treated with the Luminance layer effect. The bird is from "cpjess-tomorrow" kit and the top and bottom elements are from "ID-Face in the Photograph" kit. A bit of explanation about the center photo:  It was taken by my security camera which is mounted on a pole at the corner of the porch. You can see the pole's shadow on the left of the photo. Those stray cats are very skittish and hard to photograph.

2023 BOOTCAMP DAY 7-SANCTUARY_600.jpg

Ann, what a beautiful thing you are doing.  Such a shame these cats have to end up in a life like that.  thank goodness there is sanctuaries for them.  Probably not enough though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1