Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

1 hour ago, Anita Wyatt said:

Thank you Shirley! Ragdolls are beautiful. What does a Miradoll look like? I currently have 4 rescued inside cats and one long haired Patio Cat who is a feral. I have been trying to get her to trust me enough to become an inside cat. She is Siegfried's mother, and brought him to our patio when he was a tiny kitten. She would allow me to pet him and bring him in the house, but she refuses to be a house cat. I tried a couple of times and she totally freaked out. Our back patio is covered and we have a fence around the backyard. Also, 2 side walls of the house are on the right and left of the patio to keep the wind out. I have  plenty of warm cat beds and blankets for her when it gets colder and I rig up a little campsite for her. Most of the time we do not get that cold here in Texas. I keep telling her what she misses by not being a house cat. Well, maybe some day, I hope. In the meantime she gets her 3 meals a day, sometimes more and seems to be happy about that. Once I place her food down she comes up to me and brushes against me to thank me, but I only get to touch her just a little bit, before she gets skittish. I have to be patient. Some of the other cats I show in the workshops are our Rainbow Bridge Angels that will always be remembered and loved.

Hi Anita, A miradoll actually looks like a ragdoll/Persian very fluffy and a rounder face like the Persian, but without the snub nose.  I think the original breeding mix was Birman/Persian/Ragdoll. My boy is tabby and white. She also breeds Bengals, very striking cats

20230629_221046.jpg 600.jpg

• Love 10

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

these are really good ideas for me to try.  going to copy/paste these posts so I dont forget.

@SusanEwart, the blend modes were the main reason I now lean on PSP2023 as they are so handy to just scroll through and see the effect in real time on the image. It's a new feature of '23.

• Like 3

Well, it's officially Autumn, and I really don't like these darker evenings and mornings.  The days are only going to get shorter and shorter.  

For the last page I used yesterday’s (day 6) 2 mask layers that I edited.  Using the edit selection tool I moved the masks  to the opposite  side of the page, using the guides to keep everything aligned.  Mule deer in velvet. 

Magazine Day 7.jpg

• Love 11

Playing around last night.  I used the book cover mock up template from the blog.  The spiral binding really isn't suitable for a magazine.  I created my own ad for my magazine. 

Yes Carole, I  featured everything stated on the front cover, at the time of creating the cover I added features on a whim, which  I did manage to carry  to fruition. A nice touch I thought to finish the  workshop with.  Another successful workshop, thank you.

Book cover mockup magazinea.jpg

Magazine  on sale now ad (3).jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • WOW 1
  • Love 11

6 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

@SusanEwart, the blend modes were the main reason I now lean on PSP2023 as they are so handy to just scroll through and see the effect in real time on the image. It's a new feature of '23.

That's why I want to get back to it too.  But it's too laggy if I have more than one large photo open and my project open.  Soon I hope to be using it again.  

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Well, it's officially Autumn, and I really don't like these darker evenings and mornings.  The days are only going to get shorter and shorter.  

For the last page I used yesterday’s (day 6) 2 mask layers that I edited.  Using the edit selection tool I moved the masks  to the opposite  side of the page, using the guides to keep everything aligned.  Mule deer in velvet. 

Magazine Day 7.jpg

Nice, Sue. I used the same technique for my page 8 but mirroring the front page. See it posted below.

Here's my Back Page for Debra Lennox Art. I mirrored the Front Page mainly by sliding the parts of the photo group over and moving the double frames. I used the same gradient as the cover. I'm still using the same font: Agency. I have this watercolor on my bedroom wall but had to position it so you see it as you walk down the hallway as it is quite large @ 32" h. x 40" w. with matting and frame. Deb has 2 children, both married, and there are 2 grandchildren, Magic and Raja. 

I meant to also post the thumbnails of all 8 pages. I've added it now.

MAGAZINE-DEBRA LENNOX ART-PG 8-BACK_600.jpg

magazine thumbnails .jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 12

4 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Playing around last night.  I used the book cover mock up template from the blog.  The spiral binding really isn't suitable for a magazine.  I created my own ad for my magazine. 

Yes Carole, I  featured everything stated on the front cover, at the time of creating the cover I added features on a whim, which  I did manage to carry  to fruition. A nice touch I thought to finish the  workshop with.  Another successful workshop, thank you.

Book cover mockup magazinea.jpg

Magazine  on sale now ad (3).jpg

Nice touch with the ON SALE NOW page!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 7 and the last one of this workshop and of my visit to Het Depot. I used the tutorial of this day but with a twist and it features the rooftop where the garden restaurant is and you can see now the context of that glass floor too. Outside the restaurant there is a real garden with trees and a lot of greenery. It is possible to walk  around full circle and a lot of the solid walls around the kitchen of the restaurant and the restrooms are of course mirrors. That gave the opportunity to take a photo a bit different from a selfie! The views of the city and beyond a fantastic, we were lucky with the weather. Same fon and colors as all the other pages for some consistency.

Het Depot double page.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11

On 9/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, Cassel said:

@Marie-Claire Maybe Poncho deserves a whole book, not just a magazine! ?

@Corrie Kinkel I think I would be more "confused" by the mirror ceiling than glass walls (although the glass floor might be on top of the list).

@Susan Ewart Another advantage of the digital world: you can try as many colors as you want or change your mind. If your background is "neutral" in the photos, maybe the background could be a bright color. Maybe one from the photo itself or one that makes sense based on the logo, or other meaningful element. And you don't have to have the same color all over. You can alternate also to have consistency instead of all different colors. Or choose one color palette that makes sense with the mood, and use that. Also, you COULD consider using a gradient or a textured solid. All possible options.

@Shirley From your description, I can't figure out what might have caused that issue with the Text tool. Maybe it was just a fluke? Hopefully, it won't repeat itself. Those designs you share might convert a few of us to that kind of "doodling"!

@Donna SilliaDid you mention where you got those waves? They come back, page after page, and it really ties everything together very well.

@Anja PelzerNice and clear page. Very legible text (for who can read that language!)

@Royanne Hewko That is definitely a perfect theme for a photo magazine!

@Dorothy Donn Very informative page. I would suggest leaving a bit of padding around the text on the right column, just to give it some breathing space.

@Michele It is fun how the blue matched your photo!

@Sue Thomas Who could have guessed that your page is based on the same starting template!?

@bina greene The line work is addressed later in the workshop, so as long as you save your projects in layers, you can always come back. On my page, I kept only one frame instead of both.

@Anne Lamp Great pose with that lady. I love your background!

@Louyse Toupin Did you happen to stretch the photo so it would fit the height? The people at the bottom seem a bit distorted.

@Rene Marker Perfect. By rotating the templates, you know what you need to showcase your photos the best. Keep doing that!

@Ann Seeber Yes, the absence of shadows is something that will go well in a magazine format. Of course, if one wants to include shadows anyway, I won't reprimand them, but this time around, no shadows also means faster pages!

Tomorrow will be the last lesson, but the tutorials will still be available until October 1st, so you still have time to catch up if you had to take a break or start late.

I got the waves using the cass wave script and colored them to match the background,

I did a backpage too and used partly the same layout of the cover, although I rotated the small frame to fit my page and I have a photo covering the whole page. The website address of the museum is the real website!!! If anyone will more information you can go there. When visiting the depot next to all the showcases is a QR code that you can scan with the app that you can download and that gives more info on what you are seeing. My QR code is not the real one of course; the google play and appstore logos I found on the net, as long as I don't sell this "Magazine" for real that isn't a problem I think. I have many more photos so I will make additional pages, if I'm going to print this for my friend's birthday later this year.

Carole, thank you for this Workshop, it was a pleasure to make another magazine!

Het Depot-back-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11