Travel Tale Workshop 2023

Cassel

Here is Day 5 with the layout template:  Mr. Red has been kept busy landing on many different spots. We both really enjoyed the work of the street artists. They just set up their painting supplies and make an ordinary plain street look beautiful. I guess they have to get the city's permission to do so. One of our favorite paintings was the Musketeer. Around that time, they filmed a remake of the 3 Musketeers movie in Wurzburg. The other large picture shows an aerial view of Wurzburg from the top of the Stein Burg Castle. The smaller pictures show the gate to the Residence Court Garden and the spring flowers. The font I used is Santika Script, with inner bevel and drop shadow, the photos are mine.  I added a date stamp and a texture (crumble) to the brown background.

I will work on the stamps tomorrow.

Anita-Travel-Tale-5-Musketeer-Steinburg-Resized.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Love 11

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

But I just remembered I also have to clean the basement.  I hate when housework interferes with my PSP time!

Makes me sort of glad I don't even have a basement... ? Odd, photos being too big is never a problem, whereas too small used to be until PSP got its AI act together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Anita Wyatt said:

Mr. Red has been kept busy landing on many different spots.

I know you call the hat "Mr." but I think of it as Mrs. since all I've ever known of the RH group is female. Do you have male members? I really have to find out if there's a group near me; this looks like so much fun! ?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, Cassel said:

you still have a week to catch up if you need to, or that long to change your mind

speaking of which, now that I see my open book page 5 & 6 in the forum, I would like to shift page 6 to the right; it appears too tight to the binding. I usually create on separate pages; the double size slows down my renderings, though I have on occasion, @Marie-Claire, made a 7200 and then split it by duplicating the whole so I could crop for each side for the open book. 

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

3 hours ago, Suzy said:

And those stamps look ready to mail, Michele. So realistic.  I’m not sure if it’s a script on not, but the cocked stamp that Michele and a Bonnie had in their page of stamps is really nice! 

Thanks, @Suzy. If you watch the video for that day, Cassel had us select the bottom right stamp on the sheet and promote it to a layer. Before deselecting, we moved back to the original layer and deleted that space. Then we could move the promoted stamp anywhere we wanted. Of course, with my OCD I tried getting all the holes to line up on the sheet, but I think I needed a square stamp in order to do that. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As I speculated, I did change my final Open Book Page 5 & 6, by swapping the pages. I also rearranged the Ripley's Aquarium page by centering the top label and the bottom Stingray date stamp. Plus, I moved some of the stamps around to put the stingray photos near that date stamp. I also enlarged the postcard and the leather tag.

toronto trip day 5 & 6 open book_1200.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1
  • Love 11

Day 7 Imprint. I wasn't successful with the images I had chosen using the tutorial for the imprint. In the end I used Cassel's script: cass-imprint which gave a slightly different effect but is very easy to use. So glad I purchased it. Thank you Carole.

My sand background image and my starfish are from Digital Scrapbook  and the font is Swiss721HV BT. I intend to use the image I have created on another of the templates supplied. As I ran out of time at the weekend to complete each one I hope to have them ready by the end of the week.

OluAndStar-imprint_600.jpg

• Love 11

Days 4, 5 and 6 - Continuing the Thailand theme. Page 2 is actually Page 1 and Page 1 is Page 2. I numbered them incorrectly. The pineapples and coconuts are from AI. The shells are photos of shells picked up on the beach, except for the middle one which is from Marisa Lerin. Pictures on the stamps are pngs downloaded from favpngs. Palm tree is a tube, and the coconut string is a directional tube that I made with the cass script. Background papers are mine. Fonts are Hallmark fonts.

dsThailandp2.jpg

dsThailandp1.jpg

• Love 11

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

Days 4, 5 and 6 - Continuing the Thailand theme. Page 2 is actually Page 1 and Page 1 is Page 2. I numbered them incorrectly. The pineapples and coconuts are from AI. The shells are photos of shells picked up on the beach, except for the middle one which is from Marisa Lerin. Pictures on the stamps are pngs downloaded from favpngs. Palm tree is a tube, and the coconut string is a directional tube that I made with the cass script. Background papers are mine. Fonts are Hallmark fonts.

dsThailandp2.jpg

dsThailandp1.jpg

Love the colors in this and that background paper is gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Anita Wyatt said:

I added a date stamp and a texture (crumble) to the brown background.

Anita,  I like this background a lot and I want to make my own. What is "texture (crumble)"?   ( I already checked and crumble is not one of the Textures included in PSP. which is what I hoped you meant.)

This is the last double page for this workshop. This one has a little story of the area and its Apache roots. Their great seal and the left necklace come from the internet, the bracelet I bought over there and I engraved a red gemstone which is a picture tube and is included in one the versions of PSP. I used the template from day 6, but a bit altered for my photos and again with a photo as background. I must admit the engraving was much easier to do this time round, I finally understand the cutouts! I hope you all enjoyed my trip and for me it was as if I was there. I would love to come to Arizona again, because there are much more fantastic sites to visit (this trip was only 3 days). The rest of my time was spend at my daughters home and I was happy to be part of their day to day live; spending time with the grands, like attending a school concert where my youngest granddaughter played in the band. It always is hard to leave not knowing when we shall see each other again. Of course we have video calls, which is great but a substitute.

Travel Workshop Red Rocks-resized.jpg

• Love 10

On 8/27/2023 at 4:59 PM, Cassel said:

@SuzyThe templates are there for inspiration and of course, there is no way for me to know exactly what kind of templates and photos one will want to use. If you don't use those templates, they will be stored for another project. I wanted the DIAMOND members to get something more for future use if it is not for this time around. That page with all the stamps look very interesting.

@Corrie KinkelNice variety of datestamps! And yes, the scripting course will wait and you should easily catch up.

@Susan EwartThat could be a way to go too. Since various elements are taught throughout the 7 days, one can combine them into one page. I just wanted to add something exclusive to the DIAMOND members.

@Ann Seeber There are different styles of scrapbooking: some will include lots of embellishments, some with none, and some with anything in-between. If an element fits, it will fit, but if the images are showcased enough, that is ok too.

@Rene Marker That is exactly what I keep saying: templates are a starting point. From there, you can go in any direction!

@Bonnie Ballentine Scripts are tools too. Why not use them!? Eventually, you might put everything together.

@Anita Wyatt It is very tempting to fit the photo to the space, but it is better to crop some edges than to squish the photos. It is like fitting a round peg in a square hole: to make it fit, one will be larger than the other. No way around it. Check this article on resizing photos.

@Gerry Landreth Oh no! She is caught already? What will happen to the rest of the workshop? Unless she escapes?

@fiona cook If you have small details to show, you can size a double page to 1000 pixels OR split them in two too! (oops I now see you did exactly that!)

@kasany Can you share a little bit of context for your project? I am unclear why the baby feet.

@Michele I am sure you will find occasions to retry the tutorial so you can figure out how you did it correctly.

@Donna SilliaA great idea to attach the tags to a suitcase!

@bina greene Even if the shape of the map is not obvious to outsiders, you will include that information somewhere else in the layout or album so it is not an issue and the texture makes it unique too.

Keep it up. The lessons will stay available until next Sunday so you still have a week to catch up if you need to, or that long to change your mind (which happens often!).

Great work everybody.

These Carmen adventures are only five episodes. They have others, but I steered clear. It's too addictive. I forgot to include the clues that got us from Dubai to Sydney. 

• She wanted to know if a platypus is a mammal.
  • She was headed to Earth's smallest continent.
  • A suspicious person left in a speedboat flying a flag with white stars.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Gerry Landreth said:

These Carmen adventures are only five episodes. They have others, but I steered clear. It's too addictive. I forgot to include the clues that got us from Dubai to Sydney. 

• She wanted to know if a platypus is a mammal.
  • She was headed to Earth's smallest continent.
  • A suspicious person left in a speedboat flying a flag with white stars.

I guess you would have to make up more clues! ?

Day 6.

No more Carmen Sandiego adventures - for now.

Stumbling on these photos triggered some fun memories. My dad would plot elaborate routes from Alabama to Minnesota, but Gooseberry Falls was always on the list.

The elephant picture reminded me of the many times when I felt inadequate in my quest to be The Favorite Uncle but fell short. They always had a good time, which was what it was all about.

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-06-600.jpg

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-06A-600.jpg

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-06B-600.jpg

• Love 11

8 hours ago, Suzy said:

Anita,  I like this background a lot and I want to make my own. What is "texture (crumble)"?   ( I already checked and crumble is not one of the Textures included in PSP. which is what I hoped you meant.)

Thank you Suzy, the texture is Crumbled not crumble (sorry for the typo earlier.) It is under Effects - Texture Effects - Texture in PSP 2023. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

AND here is my final Travel Tale open book page. I used the template from the Day 7-Extra. There was one oddity buried in the template: the small white strips on the right-hand page turned out to be layers that ran all the way to the bottom of the page and beyond! The top had the strip and so did the bottom which was off the canvas. This was true for both white strips. I replaced them with copies of the others that I flood filled with white and deleted the original layers. I used earth tones from the photos and Crumpled and Blinds textures. The photo stamp is from Marisa Lerin. I did the cutout lettering on the large tortoise photo on the left. This started as a double page, but I cropped it which made it much more workable with my computer. The title font is Birdy. 

Toronto Day 7 Travel Tale-OPEN BOOK_1200.jpg

• Love 9

10 hours ago, Anita Wyatt said:

Thank you Suzy, the texture is Crumbled not crumble (sorry for the typo earlier.) It is under Effects - Texture Effects - Texture in PSP 2023. 

Gah! Another thing from 2023 that I want! They’re adding up!  
It is lovely, and I see Ann has used it too, so I think I’ll be seeing it around a lot more.

• Like 1

I have really enjoyed putting these pages together especially as the visual memories are so good of the holiday and the gorgeous scenery. The difficulty was in selecting the photos as I took so many. I may tweek some more but these are how I have left it at the moment.

I've tried to be consistent across the 3 DPSs by using the same background image; that of a distressed wall snapped from the holiday and stretched across the pages. 

Since joining in the various projects on Scrapbook Campus I tend to see things a lot more than I did before that are worthy of photographing specifically for backgrounds. 

TravelDPS-snip.JPG

• Love 8