Travel Tale Workshop 2023

Cassel

3 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

And now into Colorado - travel day.

2023 Travel Challenge, pages 27, 28_1000.jpg

Rattlesnakes!  Yikes is right.  I was hiking very early one morning (years ago) and was about to take a step when I saw something move and it was a rattle snake recoiling.  It was colder so he was slow moving.  I'm glad I did not step on him.  On the same hike we came across a spot where there was flattened grass that a large animal must have been sleeping on.  Whatever slept there slept on a rattle snake, he was sadly no long with us. We suspected it was a bear as we had to walk by this very large bear, just sitting on it's butt with one leg sticking out to the side, super relaxed looke.  We on the other hand were not feeling very relaxed as he was just off the trail about 10-15 feet away.  A runner and her dog had come by us a few minutes prior and told us about the bear and that it's likely gone because the dog was barking at it.  Nope, it wasnt.  We didnt make eye contact, just walked by and a distance away we high tailed it back toward the car.  Later that week the local paper was warning people that that bear was fake charging people.  it was a the biggest bear I'd ever seen (living in BC we did see a number of bears when camping or hiking) and not a smaller black bears were were used to.  You layouts are so fun to read.  What an awesome trip that must've been.

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW 2

2 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

And now to the Garden of the Gods.

2023 Travel Challenge, pages 29, 30_1000.jpg

I admit I was expecting a Greek garden or something.  this garden is magnificent.  What an experience you had back in '56 when you got to walk on the rocks.  I love that they are trying to keep it pristine and preserved.  Better that we can see it from a vehicle on from a path than not be able to see it at all. Mother Nature never gets it wrong (something I've said for a long time).  Funn thing, I was reading an article on mushrooms and a researcher said a similar thing: Nature doesnt make mistakes.    

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dee Morris said:

image.jpeg.00a45c5cd7c0478d487667b16999a6eb.jpeg

I did the first project ( table setting) and it came out just as the example. I thought I would try some effects. Some things worked as I expected and some things didn't. 🙃

Hi Dee - Nice job for your first try! You might want to post it in the Bootcamp forum. Here's the link

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

These are the last 2 layouts.  There are 45 pages to this album.

2023 Travel Challenge, pages 41-42_1000.jpg

2023 Travel Challenge, pages 43-44_1000.jpg

Wonderful album, Mary. This was a labor of love! ❤️ Will you get it printed? I found my local Staples office supply store will print my 13-page calendar for under $25. I pick it up tomorrow! I'll report back on the quality. They tried on Sunday, but it was too dark, and I rejected it. Luckily, I had withheld payment until I was satisfied. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

What an accomplishment Mary.  45 double pages is, well, 90 pages, that's incredible!  I really enjoyed arm-chair travelling along with you and reading about the locations.  What are "throwed" rolls?

@Susan Ewart As the waiters are roaming about the restaurant with pots of additional food you might want, there are waiters with carts of freshly baked yeast rolls, and if you want a roll, they will throw you one.  Sometimes it is from the front of the restaurant to the back (they must practice on the baseball diamond).  And the food is fantastic - just like it came from your grandmother's kitchen. and the 45 pages are actually counting each double page as 2 pages.  It was interesting putting them up on Shutterfly last night.  As the double page doesn't go straight across 2 pages, it splits and you match up the center of the page on each page.  I had never uploaded double pages before so this was a new experience for me.

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Susan Ewart As the waiters are roaming about the restaurant with pots of additional food you might want, there are waiters with carts of freshly baked yeast rolls, and if you want a roll, they will throw you one.  Sometimes it is from the front of the restaurant to the back (they must practice on the baseball diamond).  And the food is fantastic - just like it came from your grandmother's kitchen. and the 45 pages are actually counting each double page as 2 pages.  It was interesting putting them up on Shutterfly last night.  As the double page doesn't go straight across 2 pages, it splits and you match up the center of the page on each page.  I had never uploaded double pages before so this was a new experience for me.

Oh that's sound like a fun place.  I remember diners like that when travelling with my parents.  I love the home cooked type diners over the chain restaurants.  I was wondering how you would print a double layout, interesting that you can do that.  There is nothing more impressive than turning a page to see it fill both pages.  That's the WOW factor.   Hope you can take a photo of the book and some the inside pages when it's done.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

For me it is so much easier to just use single pages even for a double page layout. I guess it is because of how I print the single layouts and put them in individual protectors. On Shutterfly using single pages is so simple, no adjustments needed (except for the covers).