Travel Tale Workshop 2023

Cassel

Corrie, that SF LO is stunning! WOW! Every little detail is perfect from the foggy background to the keyline frames to the colors you chose....just brilliant!

Michele, I can't believe it, but you just reminded me I forgot to finish my circular date stamp with the distressing! And after I went to a lot of effort to get that Dozi stamp! Aurgh! Where is my head?

Anita, a beautiful LO. I always wonder how you (you for this LO, but also others')  got the store to comply with using one of their mannequins. I can never con them into letting me do something like that! I also like the Anberta, font and am going to look that up right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love this, it's a great idea and I love forward to the adventure of Mr. Red, he has more adventures that I do!  Back in the paper arts period of my life, we'd make "flat" versions of ourselves (a full length photo of the person - on maybe 5x7 or 8x10 size, cut out and mounted on a stick) then you'd send them and a diary off to one of the participants who would take the "flat" you on an adventure, and photograph and write about it in the book.  I didnt do ones like that but did other ones where I made a diary of the event the person missed and then sent them the diary with the flat version of themselves.  It was hard to find photos of them without them knowing.  but quite fun to do. 

15 years ago one of the girls on a scrapbooking forum I was a member of was getting married. I was a good friend of hers and was invited to the wedding. Another member was a bridesmaid and yet another was the photographer. I took another girl as my "plus one". I don't remember who started it but someone suggested we make "stick people" of other members so that they could attend the wedding. A photo of each person was sent to one of us and they were attached to fudgsicle sticks and showed up at the wedding reception! The bride loved it and we had fun with it. 12 of the forum members sent photos, some were of the whole family and others were just the individual. By the end of the evening, some of them were being used as hand held fans since it was a late August wedding!

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I definitely am late in getting out of the "start gate"!  I know this isn't a race, but it has felt like that for me.  I am really not sure, but I have the trip that Joe, Laurie and I took back in 2021 in the RV to visit family in the north and west of us.  It was a great trip, I found that I can't take the heights and I am definitely a mountain girl more so than the beach.  Oh, Well!  I take it easy and am able to do some things. This album will be longer than usual since we had so many places we were going and I am definitely going to do more journaling.  I usually journal whenever I take a trip.  It does help when designing the album.  All the elements and papers are mine.  The 2 elements at the lower left corner and the upper right corner came from Marisa Lerrin at Pixel Scrapper.  The font is Britannic Bold.

2023 Travel Challenge, Opening page_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

3 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

I definitely am late in getting out of the "start gate"!  I know this isn't a race, but it has felt like that for me.  I am really not sure, but I have the trip that Joe, Laurie and I took back in 2021 in the RV to visit family in the north and west of us.  It was a great trip, I found that I can't take the heights and I am definitely a mountain girl more so than the beach.  Oh, Well!  I take it easy and am able to do some things. This album will be longer than usual since we had so many places we were going and I am definitely going to do more journaling.  I usually journal whenever I take a trip.  It does help when designing the album.  All the elements and papers are mine.  The 2 elements at the lower left corner and the upper right corner came from Marisa Lerrin at Pixel Scrapper.  The font is Britannic Bold.

2023 Travel Challenge, Opening page_600.jpg

If you feel like you are late, I think I missed the gate completely.  I didnt know when I signed up that my hubby would (several weeks later) book a week off, which I totally forgot about.  So I have not been very active with anything PSP-y.  We had planned to go to this tourist attraction (Fort Edmonton Park) that has about 5-6 sections covering various period of pre-colonization to the 1920's.  It rained for two days; downpours actually.  And today I work, so I will have to go to my back up theme to try and pull off.  I not opptomistic.  You have a good start and what a trip it looks like.  I'm looking forward to being an arm-chair traveller following you on your trip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 3:  During the time my grandson was in Southeast Asia, he played rugby with the Bangkok University rugby team and with a team of his friends who played a tournament in Laos and Vietnam. The pictures are some of the ones that he texted me. I used some elements from a Marisa Lering kit featuring sports. The background papers are my own. The rugby ball pattern was made with cass seamless script which I love. I made the passport and the visa stamps. I liked Anne's idea of making it a book.

I am way behind since for the last two days I have been dealing with printer problems.

dsday3.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 2
  • Love 12

@Gerry Landreth I will have to go find a way to play that game now. You are getting me hooked. I might need to make a page about how my three kids used to play that game TOGETHER!

@Suzy At least, you have two options now and who knows? You might be able to use both.

@Anja Pelzer nice variety of tags, using different techniques too. Looking forward to see which one you will use in your project.

@Jnet Allard Even if you took this workshop before, that would have been 2 years ago. We don't remember that far back!

@fiona cook That is often what happens: with new tutorials, and more time,  participants will review past pages and update them.

@Michele Those preset shapes can be used in so many different ways, right?

@Corrie Kinkel That page has such interesting use of the colors repeating from the tag to the datestamp, to the title.

@Anita Wyatt Be careful with the images as they look squished. It is most obvious in the barrels which should be more round than they show.

@Ann SeeberThat open book gives such a nice overall look.

@Mary Solaas How long was that trip???

@Donna Sillia Oh, another open book. It feels like that book is right in front of me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have to admit I do not understand templates. When I snag a template, say one from this week, I spend too much time trying to find 4 horizontal photos and 1 vertical one (or whatever configuration) to match the template.  Plus those photos might not even be my 1st choice for what I want to scrap!  Well let's just say I do not understand templates for this kind of project.

Here is my Day 3 page. I'm trying to do my trip in order, but it isn't quite going the way I had hoped. So, I am offered a template and told to make a postage stamp. And I tried. Spent a good long time on it, but alas! I had too many pics.  I'm not sure this will stay the way it is. The top pics are really drab compared to the stamps - probably for the bevel. Maybe they need to be stamps, too. and there's a script for that! LOL!

I ended up buying Stamps 3 script in the shop, and I am so thankful I did because I would still be putting the pieces together if I hadn't!  I'll throw this up here in the forum and see what it looks like.

Edited to add - Interesting. The page didn't crop when I saved as a .jpg. So I'll keep it tat way and see how far out my printer will print because I think it gets really close to the edge.

Here's the text - it's pretty blurry at 600

Coppes Commons in Nappanee, Indiana,  was originally the factory for a leading manufacturer of the famous “Hoosier Cabinet” at the turn of the 20th century.

The renovated factory now houses a variety of specialty shops offering locally-made, handcrafted, and freshly-baked items and treats. Get a glimpse into the history of the Coppes Kitchens while visiting the Hoosier Cabinet museum on the 2nd floor and shopping within this rambling brick building full of twists and turns.

Watch ice-cream treats freeze before your eyes with liquid nitrogen, browse the aisles of multiple boutiques, a bookstore, a toy store, contemporary clothing, handcrafted artisan pottery and soaps; sample 50 flavors of gourmet popcorn, hot soft pretzels, buy fresh baked old-fashioned goods, local cheeses & meats, hot BBQ lunches, bath & beauty products, teas & coffees, bulk foods, home and gift items.

Page 3 600px to post.jpg

Edited by Suzy
  • Like 1
  • Love 11

15 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I took my first two layouts and used the open book script. I didn't have that option the last times I took this class. I think it looks good. It is posted at 1200 px wide for this forum.

TORONTO PAGE ONE AND TWO BO OK FORM_1200.jpg

Absolutely incredible!

• Thanks 1

As promised; here are my date stamps and a tag. I haven't done very much and it seems a general feeling for a lot of us. For me it was an unexpected busy week; our son had his birthday and we went over there for the day, it is about a 90 minutes drive with very busy traffic most of the way (I know for Americans/Canadians that is just around the corner). Then there came extra doctor's appointments for my husband and myself, nothing to worry about but it costs a lot of time because we have to go to town for it. Searching for a present for a friend who will be turning 80 shortly and we will celebrate with a lunch in a very posh restaurant in 2 weeks time. That resulted in another trip into town, because we couldn't find what we were looking for locally. Then in the evenings I had videocalls with my daughter and with the grands because that is the only timeframe when there is a time difference of 9 hours. And last but not least I had a spell of dizziness and wasn't able to even come out of bed for most of that day, but I don't complain it will be okay. It only means I'm hopeless behind and I'm doing the scripting course too..... I postponed lesson 4 until next week and concentrate on the Travel layouts first this weekend, at least if all goes according to plan!

I have seen very lovely and diverse layouts being posted when I had a look.

Stamps + Tag-600.jpg

• Love 10

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

As promised; here are my date stamps and a tag. I haven't done very much and it seems a general feeling for a lot of us. For me it was an unexpected busy week; our son had his birthday and we went over there for the day, it is about a 90 minutes drive with very busy traffic most of the way (I know for Americans/Canadians that is just around the corner). Then there came extra doctor's appointments for my husband and myself, nothing to worry about but it costs a lot of time because we have to go to town for it. Searching for a present for a friend who will be turning 80 shortly and we will celebrate with a lunch in a very posh restaurant in 2 weeks time. That resulted in another trip into town, because we couldn't find what we were looking for locally. Then in the evenings I had videocalls with my daughter and with the grands because that is the only timeframe when there is a time difference of 9 hours. And last but not least I had a spell of dizziness and wasn't able to even come out of bed for most of that day, but I don't complain it will be okay. It only means I'm hopeless behind and I'm doing the scripting course too..... I postponed lesson 4 until next week and concentrate on the Travel layouts first this weekend, at least if all goes according to plan!

Stamps + Tag-600.jpg

@Corrie Kinkel Now you know why I do most of my "shopping" on Amazon. ? I'm just a good customer of Amazon that they generally send orders overnight without any extra cost. I must live near one of their hubs. The City of Middletown is only 5 minutes away from here at Eagles Point Condos and we have a horse farm across the road. I do hope your dizzy spell is nothing serious. I get them from time to time, weirdly when I lay down - not when I'm upright. Your date stamps and leather tag look great. I'd suggest a smaller hole for the tag, or just add a rivet (grommet) to fill in. They're in the Tubes in metallic and color. I still haven't finished pages 3 and 4 so I'm not much ahead of you. Life keeps getting in the way!

• Thanks 1

Hi all I started this week with day 1(duh), that one is finished, but the templates provided, are mostly vertical and my photo's mainly horizontal and haven't got the energy to look for other templates, so I will skip this workshop ? I have seen wonderful lay outs just now, always fun to see how everyone makes complete different projects ? Keep up the good work! ?

• Like 1

Just now, MoniqueN. said:

Hi all I started this week with day 1(duh), that one is finished, but the templates provided, are mostly vertical and my photo's mainly horizontal and haven't got the energy to look for other templates, so I will skip this workshop ? I have seen wonderful lay outs just now, always fun to see how everyone makes complete different projects ? Keep up the good work! ?

I'm not doing the workshop but I will offer this suggestion... Rotate the template to fit your photos! A template is just a starting point and does not have to be used exactly as is.

Loving all the layouts from everyone so far!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MoniqueN. said:

I too will have to pass it by.  I had good intentions but life has it's own design.  At least we have all the prompts and can work in our own time.  I actually thought we were only making one page and building on it each day with a final reveal at the end.  Oops, that's shows that I am even more out of touch with what was really going on. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Stamps + Tag-600.jpg

I hope you are feeling better.  Dizzy spells are debilitating.  These are lovely and all so different.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I'm not doing the workshop but I will offer this suggestion... Rotate the template to fit your photos! A template is just a starting point and does not have to be used exactly as is.

I know, but thanks anyway ?

Wanting to feel like I'm making some progress, I'll post my page 3, just finished. I'm always hesitant with embellishments, preferring to showcase the photos themselves. Here daughter, Laurey, and granddaughter, Jackie, find the young rhino hilarious at the Toronto Zoo! Font is Bauhaus. Changed the background gradient. 

TRAVEL TALE 2023-TORONTO ZOO-LEFT-PG3-rhino_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • WOW 2
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, Michele said:

Quick question, @Cassel. When applying the fine leather texture, why use the blur at all?

I have not worked with real leather, but my guess is that the blur would simulate different effects you would get. As you change the blur value, it will vary the sharpness of the design.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I agree, Rene.  In planning my album (and as with all my trips - they are long), I will use only the templates that fit my idea.  Or - use them in different ways to fit my thoughts.  This was a really long trip and was longer than most.  Laurie and I tend to fit as much in a trip as is humanly (or not humanly) possible.  For instance, when we were planning a trip (and Joe was working) to Vermont, we looked at each other and decided that we were going to take in Niagra Falls, Brother Andre's church in Montreal, her relatives in New Hampshire, my desire to at least touch Maine, her wanting to get dishes from a factory outlet in West Virginia.  Whew - that trip had all of us wiping our brow when we finished.  This one had Joe already retired, so a long trip was OK.  I believe we were gone about a month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Wanting to feel like I'm making some progress, I'll post my page 3, just finished. I'm always hesitant with embellishments, preferring to showcase the photos themselves. Here daughter, Laurey, and granddaughter, Jackie, find the young rhino hilarious at the Toronto Zoo! Font is Bauhaus. Background a pink gradient. 

TRAVEL TALE 2023-TORONTO ZOO-LEFT-PG3-rhino_600.jpg

What fun pictures.  And what an experience.  I love your gradient.  You make such beautiful ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

I agree, Rene.  In planning my album (and as with all my trips - they are long), I will use only the templates that fit my idea.  Or - use them in different ways to fit my thoughts.  This was a really long trip and was longer than most.  Laurie and I tend to fit as much in a trip as is humanly (or not humanly) possible.  For instance, when we were planning a trip (and Joe was working) to Vermont, we looked at each other and decided that we were going to take in Niagra Falls, Brother Andre's church in Montreal, her relatives in New Hampshire, my desire to at least touch Maine, her wanting to get dishes from a factory outlet in West Virginia.  Whew - that trip had all of us wiping our brow when we finished.  This one had Joe already retired, so a long trip was OK.  I believe we were gone about a month.

I just started a trip my cousin's daughter took with her family last Thanksgiving to Iceland. She posts the photos on Facebook and I download to use in layouts. It appears most of them are going to be portrait instead of landscape (think she used her phone) so will have to look for templates that have more portrait spots than landscape. But most of my templates have landscape spots! Just last night I used a template with landscape spots and rotated it to make them portrait. There were 2 smaller spots that were more square and I did have 2 photos that worked in those spots. I've gotten to the point that I use templates as a starting point and by the end, they quite often they don't even look like the template!

• Like 5