Travel Tale Workshop 2023

Cassel

I do the same thing, Rene...sometimes it doesn't resemble the original when I have completed my project...but templates are a starting point.

My mojo is dead...creating is not happening. I have completed each day but with the element only...no scrap pages.

Day 2

I used Google maps; took a screenshot; cut out Virginia and highlighted our route.

manassas va beach route 600.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I have another OPEN BOOK for you. This is page 3 and 4 of the Toronto trip my daughter and granddaughter took last week. This time they visited the zoo (of course, because Jackie is also a zookeeper. Can we call it a "busman's holiday?") I already posted page 3 earlier but now I changed it.

TORONTO ZOO PAGE 3 & 4-OPEN BOOK_1200.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 13

19 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Gerry Landreth I will have to go find a way to play that game now. You are getting me hooked. I might need to make a page about how my three kids used to play that game TOGETHER!

@Suzy At least, you have two options now and who knows? You might be able to use both.

@Anja Pelzer nice variety of tags, using different techniques too. Looking forward to see which one you will use in your project.

@Jnet Allard Even if you took this workshop before, that would have been 2 years ago. We don't remember that far back!

@fiona cook That is often what happens: with new tutorials, and more time,  participants will review past pages and update them.

@Michele Those preset shapes can be used in so many different ways, right?

@Corrie Kinkel That page has such interesting use of the colors repeating from the tag to the datestamp, to the title.

@Anita Wyatt Be careful with the images as they look squished. It is most obvious in the barrels which should be more round than they show.

@Ann SeeberThat open book gives such a nice overall look.

@Mary Solaas How long was that trip???

@Donna Sillia Oh, another open book. It feels like that book is right in front of me.

Thanks Carole for letting me know. I found it very had not to let the pictures look squeezed together, especially the barrels. I tried again today without success.. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated. I tried clip it, and also resizing the pictures.

• Like 1

I suppose this counts for day 5 because it has a postage stamp and a postmark too. The tag from day 4 will come in day 6 otherwise it doesn't fit my photos from this trip. I used the extra template from day 6 but changed it for my needs. Just like some of you have said, a template is only a starting point. The postage stamp has an Apache (if I'm right) textile. I used very toned down colors, I first tried more different papers but for me that was too busy with all the other elements and the story. This layout gave me the opportunity to use the tire track tube and thanks to the vector workshop it was easy to make a nicely curved line for them. The highway shield I have made some time ago and I just have to put the right number on it.

Ladies thanks I'm feeling ok again, not really great yet. I do not have those dizzy spell often, the last one was maybe 2 years ago. 

Travel Workshop Montezuma-resized.jpg

• Love 12

Day 5.

The thief has been apprehended, and the jewels safely returned. Good work gumshoes!

And thus ends another chapter of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.

All of the pictures came from Pixabay. The Carmen and Tigress images came from DeviantArt. Red, white, and blue are the official colors of Australia. However, green and gold are the adopted colors for their sports teams.

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-05-600.jpg

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-05A-600.jpg

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-05B-600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Haha 1
  • Love 14

Travel Tale -4: I used a different template so I could place the 2 pictures. better. The template is part of the Templates Carole offered during a workshop. (Template P) The pictures show the Residence Palace in my hometown Würzburg. The photos are mine, I added the date stamp and Würzburg's Coat of Arms. The Font is Franklin Gothic Heavy, which is one of the default fonts on my computer. I will work on the fine leather tag tomorrow.

Here is a short description about the Residence Palace which is right downtown Würzburg. I used to sped a lot of time in the beautiful gardens to do my school home-work and feed the birds and squirrels.

One of Würzburg's famous landmarks is the Würzburg Residence Palace with its Court Gardens and is considered by UNESCO as “one of the largest and most beautiful” palaces in Germany. It was built in the 18th century by the most skilled architects and artisans from all over the world, led by Balthasar Neumann.

Anita-Travel-Tale-Residenz-Hat-Resized.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

Thank you Suzy. Photographing the mannequins was easy. I always went to that store when I visited my Mom in Germany every year. The ladies there were so nice and helpful and I found some beautiful outfits there also. Just looking at the pictures makes me miss my Mom who passed away in 2015.

• Sad 2

On 8/25/2023 at 6:22 PM, Ann Seeber said:

I took my first two layouts and used the open book script. I didn't have that option the last times I took this class. I think it looks good. It is posted at 1200 px wide for this forum.

TORONTO PAGE ONE AND TWO BO OK FORM_1200.jpg

Love this idea and what you have done here. I have the script too so may give it a go.

• Thanks 1

Day5 Decided to add the postage stamps to the second DPS which is still in the making. Yet to have a go at the focus template as such a lot to do on the others. Only just caught up to Day6! It's a bank holiday weekend in UK and at the moment the sun is shining so may be the outside backons.

TravelDPS_2_sofar.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 6

I had a lot of trouble with this tutorial. It's taken me a couple of days to get these done. In fact, I tried so many different things that I'm not sure I know what I did. By the time I got a result I liked, I had no idea how I got there. For someone who usually keeps great notes, this is very frustrating. lol

large.TravelTaleDay40201.jpg.3eff2121306b23639a50605652bd8055.jpglarge.TravelTaleDay40101.jpg.e30c50edecc7321340cb8fb9824a8795.jpglarge.TravelTale40401.jpg.aab1466c4fd66f22419dafc308523b8b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 11

This is page 5 - visiting Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto. I incorporated the stamps to showcase the many photos I was given. Thanks to Gerry for the inspiration! I used the cass-Scattered Photos script but had to re-arrange everything anyway, but it gave me a start. The background is another photo from the aquarium but with a layer effect of Luminance (Legacy) which allowed the colors of the scatter to stand out.I will now do page 6 and incorporate it with this one into another Open Book layout.

DAY 5-TORONTO-RIPLEY'S AQUARIUM_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
ADDED A PHOTO STAMP LOWER LEFT-AXOLOTL
  • Like 2
  • Love 15

I'm getting on track now and this one counts for day 6 because I made a postcard with a little story. I used the Extra template of day  4 as a starting point but I changed it (as always) for my photos. The Grand Canyon is thrilling and the photos don't do it justice. My photos were a bit hazy because when we started out it wasn't clear, but I'm becoming a fan of the new Haze removal tool! However it should be used with care not to overdo the effect. Later in the day it became more sunny and my photos are ok from there on. I'm going to make a day 2 as well. I included a separate image of the postcard for better viewing here. On the big layout I smudged the text a bit, my cards always became smudged when they arrived. One more advantage of using email of facebook, whatsapp etc.

Travel Workshop Grand Canyon-1-resized.jpg

card Grand Canyon-resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 15

Halfway through finishing uploading my holiday photos and creating masks for them from the template, I suddenly realised that I had previously purchased Cassel's 'Clip To It' script and not only that had been useful and bound it to my layers palette! Duh! Much easier now changing the template areas to Masks.

I haven't tried it yet but wondering if the photos would benefit from a drop shadow like on the pots card. I am not sure what layer to use for each Mask group in the template though.

DPS2-LH.JPG

DPS2-RH.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Finally, Day 4 - I didn't use a template, but decided to attach my leather tags to a suitcase provided by lsj kit called" world geography101." The font is an open license font called 
Peel. The graphics were downloaded from pngtree.com. I tried to use pngs to reflect the different countries.

dstravelsuitcase.jpg

• Love 13

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

This is page 5 - visiting Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto. I incorporated the stamps to showcase the many photos I was given. Thanks to Gerry for the inspiration! I used the cass-Scattered Photos script but had to re-arrange everything anyway, but it gave me a start. The background is another photo from the aquarium but with a layer effect of Luminance (Legacy) which allowed the colors of the scatter to stand out.I will now do page 6 and incorporate it with this one into another Open Book layout.

DAY 5-TORONTO-RIPLEY'S AQUARIUM_600.jpg

Looove this!!!! TFS. Will this be a template? 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

.It's Sunday and I found some time for this incredible workshop. Many thanks again, Caroline and everybody else who has posted their fantastic projects here!.

This is my day one with the region shape done in what I intended to be a distressed or chalky stamped look. Not sure if it is recognizable as such but I am not too unhappy with the way the shape turned out.  Supplies I used are all freebies by Robyn Denton of Dancing Tiger Designs (dancingtigerdesignsaustralia.blogspot.com)

binaGreene_anglet600.jpg.7c0b116102613a76abd9ae6f21b7dd3d.jpg

Here is my day 2 indicating the way to get to the destination. Again supplies are all by Robyn Denton, except the background by myself.

binaGreene_anglet02.jpg

My version of the day 3 prompt 'postage stamp'. 

spacer.png

Leather tag was the prompt on day 4. I'm  sharing them here.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/GzsnyJu.jpg[/img]

spacer.png

I made a tutorial on how to make a chalked look (like on the day one prompt layout) in Corel PSP. You can dl my tut here.

I must have mixed up something with the postage stamps.... Anyways here are the missing days, and some snail mail elements and a frame template that I am sharing here.

spacer.png

Some more leather tags, prompt day four. These tags are a bit traveled , which happens going from France to Belgium.... Click image to download.

spacer.png

Edited by bina greene
  • Like 4
  • Love 10