Travel Tale Workshop 2023

Cassel

My grandson sent me many pictures of his Southeast Asia 3 month vacation. The map is from Google with two pictures merged. The plane is a Preset shape, the palm tree is AI, the escape circle is from Marisa Lerin as well as the location markers. The paper materials and the plaid are my own. The suitcase is from an LSJ kit.

dsSoutheastAsia.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 1
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

You know, Memphis is my town.  I hope you do get a chance to make a travel book about your visit.  did you come to see Graceland? or the Peabody ducks? or the Elvis Presley bash in August at Graceland? or the football team? or the baseball team? or just to see what it is all about? and what about Beale Street? 

Did you enjoy my various layouts about Memphis earlier this year?

Yes, I thought you lived near there.  Yes to all the above, we saw everything (no sports teams) except we just went to Graceland, not the bash.  We just went because we had never been there before. Other things I remember, Germantown, an outlet mall including Williams -Sonoma, the little art museum, Sun Records….the entire Blues Trail, actually, and something to do with FedEx. I forget what that was. A stadium tour I think. I did mention it was a WEEK in Memphis, didn’t I?  There was a downtown tornado, so we also got to see the cold concrete basement of our hotel, too!  How about Dixon Gardens and The Cotton Museum? Have you been there?  Most natives I’ve met have not is why I ask. We spent so long at the cotton museum that the guard/hostess got nervous. I think she thought we were going to steal all the cotton bolls!  Hahaha!  There is also a daffodil show there the second or third Saturday in March at Dixon gardens. Free and open to the Public. Don’t go right when it opens because judging always takes longer in the south, and they won’t let you in, LOL! ?? (judging takes longer in the south because the judges are so polite. They seem to have a hard time saying which flower is best, second best, or even not worth a ribbon at all.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

Yes, I thought you lived near there.  Yes to all the above, we saw everything (no sports teams) except we just went to Graceland, not the bash.  We just went because we had never been there before. Other things I remember, Germantown, an outlet mall including Williams -Sonoma, the little art museum, Sun Records….the entire Blues Trail, actually, and something to do with FedEx. I forget what that was. A stadium tour I think. I did mention it was a WEEK in Memphis, didn’t I?  There was a downtown tornado, so we also got to see the cold concrete basement of our hotel, too!  How about Dixon Gardens and The Cotton Museum? Have you been there?  Most natives I’ve met have not is why I ask. We spent so long at the cotton museum that the guard/hostess got nervous. I think she thought we were going to steal all the cotton bolls!  Hahaha!  There is also a daffodil show there the second or third Saturday in March at Dixon gardens. Free and open to the Public. Don’t go right when it opens because judging always takes longer in the south, and they won’t let you in, LOL! ?? (judging takes longer in the south because the judges are so polite. They seem to have a hard time saying which flower is best, second best, or even not worth a ribbon at all.)

Wonderful!  Yes to the Dixon Gardens and I did peek in to the Cotton Museum because Laurie and I were preparing baskets of Memphis stuff back in 2008 to give to our folks as we travelled across the west and north - I got a little bale of cotton there for each of the baskets.  We got FedEx keychains for our FedEx souvenir, and little Elvis Presley dolls for our Elvis souvenir, a jar of Corkey's Barbeque sauce also and little yellow duckies for the Peabody ducks.  Glad you enjoyed my city. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Marie-Claire I love how you colored the two places in your 1st layout as well as your second!
@Bonnie Ballentine  The way you highlighted the areas you visited in color & with pointers, genius!
@Suzy I love the texture and your colors choices! I am sorry it was a terrible trip, those are the absolute worst.
Thank you too for your compliment to my Layout, so very kind of you. One-Way indeed ..
Well, for at least a few months. HaHaHa .. Getting away from the farm and its demands sounds divine! 
@Anita Wyatt I can't wait to hear more about the red hat!
@fiona cook I love how you used the gradient to highlight!
@Ann Seeber Your layout is fabulous! I hope they enjoyed their trip, and found beautiful weather? 
Thanks again for your brilliant suggestion!
@Anja Pelzer Highlighting the two places looks great on your layout!
@Michele I love those textures! My Mothers family was from Ireland, that is another place I would love to go as well!
@Cassel Thank you so much! You should have seen my face when I came back to post my layout and suddenly
remembered the posting specs!  HaHaHa    Ann's tip was the gamechanger, as I didn't think I could even post it!
@Corrie Kinkel Love your layout! Perfectly placed elements and the use of several papers!
@Donna Sillia Such a beautiful layout! Your use of elements & papers are fantastic too!
@Gerry Landreth I love your layouts! Quite intriguing!

I hope I didn't miss anyone!
Day 1 was quite the success!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Cassel said:

That "boring" page has a lot of character. That watercolor texture is great. Where did you get it?

Thank you, @Cassel. Any praise from you is so appreciated. I got the watercolor paper so many years ago that I don't know the source. (I was so bad at keeping identifying info back then.) The name is Green Valley 1, but that's all I can tell you; I even tried an image search and couldn't find it. I recolored it for the blue piece. 

5 hours ago, Jenifer Lyn said:

I love those textures! My Mothers family was from Ireland, that is another place I would love to go as well!

Thanks, @Jenifer Lyn. Though I don't have any Irish in my ancestry, I'm in love with the music and culture. I had an opportunity to go for only two or three days with a group, but I would have gone if it was only for one day! If you ever get a chance to go, you should. It's a gorgeous country and the people are lovely. 

• Love 1

Day 2 I needed to look up how to make parts of the template into masks but did so in the end for the photos. That same thing-'practice makes perfect!' I didn't need to do a trail of where we had been as my journey was from England to Oludeniz, Turkey however I must admit I likewise found the instruction to layer the routes difficult to understand should I have wanted to do trails here and there. This is when a video of how it's done comes in handy. I think it's just me though, not grasping the idea, not your instructions, Carole!

SoFarDay2.JPG

• Love 12

DAY 2 - LEFT HAND MAP PAGE - 3 Photos: Ripley's Aquarium Canada; The Pink Floyd Exhibition at the Canada Day Fair; my 2 travelers showcasing the Toronto harbor with the CN Center. (There are two different shots like this; the other has the city skyscrapers out the CN 360 windows. I suspect the backgrounds were changed but the women remained the same! ? ) This map was treated to a soft light layer effect. I snagged the Ripley logo and used multiply to place it on of our photos. I used various metallic gradients on the photo frames. I used Cassel's Datestamp 13. I'll probably be adding more elements later in the class as I recall we get to create some that are appropriate to the trip.

DAY TWO TRAVEL TALE WORKSHOP-LAUREY & JACKIE-LEFT PAGE_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 13

@Anja Pelzer That is a fun way to show the two-way travel!!

@Corrie Kinkel It is quite alright to blur faces for displaying them here. You will likely keep an unblurred version to share with them!

@Donna Sillia Isn't it nice to see all that you can create from scratch now? I love that!

@Marie-Claire Nice map. I thought the other map you used was great too. I think that Google map is one resource but there are many others too.

@Gerry Landreth My kids used to have a computer game of "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego". That brings so many memories!

@Michele It is ok if you don't remember the source of something. I have also been collecting supplies for almost 15 years so you can imagine that I don't have the sources either.

@fiona cook I had plans to make videos but ran out of time. Maybe next time around?

@Ann Seeber You are correct: throughout the workshop, you will get a chance to go back and tweak the previous layouts to add elements.

• Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Corrie Kinkel It is quite alright to blur faces for displaying them here. You will likely keep an unblurred version to share with them!

@Donna Sillia Isn't it nice to see all that you can create from scratch now? I love that!

@Marie-Claire Nice map. I thought the other map you used was great too. I think that Google map is one resource but there are many others too.

@Gerry Landreth My kids used to have a computer game of "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego". That brings so many memories!

@Michele It is ok if you don't remember the source of something. I have also been collecting supplies for almost 15 years so you can imagine that I don't have the sources either.

@fiona cook I had plans to make videos but ran out of time. Maybe next time around?

@Ann Seeber You are correct: throughout the workshop, you will get a chance to go back and tweak the previous layouts to add elements.

Thank you, Carole. If it weren't for your classes and workshops, I wouldn't be able to make my own elements and papers. I haven't been downloading so many kits since there is so much I can make myself.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Day 3.

Cassel,

There is a disconnect on that Dozi bear brush you used at the end of today’s video. She is no longer at Deviant art, or anywhere at all on the internet that I can find. Not a store, not a shop, Facebook, Insta, Etsy….no where. 

Could you blow that brush up to about 600px, or even 1000px, stamp it in a color, and show us what it looks like so we can try to make our own? I know it won’t be the same, but I can’t figure out what it looked like. Is it B&W, or translucent, for example? Were those little round dots or irregular dots?  Or were they even dots? Evenly spaced, or irregular?

• Like 1

Just now, Suzy said:

Day 3.

Cassel,

There is a disconnect on that Dozi bear brush you used at the end of today’s video. She is no longer at Deviant art, or anywhere at all on the internet that I can find. Not a store, not a shop, Facebook, Insta, Etsy….no where. 

Could you blow that brush up to about 600px, or even 1000px, stamp it in a color, and show us what it looks like so we can try to make our own? I know it won’t be the same, but I can’t figure out what it looked like. Is it B&W, or translucent, for example? Were those little round dots or irregular dots?  Or were they even dots? Evenly spaced, or irregular?

Suzzy, there are 4 marble brushes which come with PSP. Marble 2 will create a similar effect.  I have the brush that Carole has.  If you scroll through the brushes you will find other brushes that will create the same effect, once you have adjusted the settings.

• Thanks 1

Day 2. The elusive Carmen Sandiego slipped away to Tokyo. Argh!  Where will she go next, and can this gumshoe find her and return the Crown Jewels?

The flight path on the map is outdated. Russia closed its airspace and the current route is over the North Pole. The change adds at least two hours to a flight that is already twelve hours long.

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-02-600.jpg

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-02A.jpg

GNL_2023-Travel-Day-02B.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 4

8 hours ago, Cassel said:

I had all versions of the Carmen Sandiego games. And I never missed the live game show. It was silly, but the actors played it straight without taking themselves too seriously.

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Suzzy, there are 4 marble brushes which come with PSP. Marble 2 will create a similar effect.  I have the brush that Carole has.  If you scroll through the brushes you will find other brushes that will create the same effect, once you have adjusted the settings.

dozi's-brushes-01 (archive.org) I had this site saved in my bookmarks.

• Thanks 1

Donna, you are a genius! I had NO IDEA what I was looking at, or even looking for, and I have no idea how you knew it was brushes 01, but it was, and I found it, and it’s awfully small, but it will do the trick for a little 1 1/2” postmark. THANK YOU!  (And I was right, I do have several Dozi brushes, but not these background ones)