Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

13 minutes ago, Lesley Maple said:

Only one question.  For your text, you use a fill instead of an stroke.  Why did you make that choice?  Whenever I have used text, unless I want some sort of fancy fill, I've always just chosen stroke and then increased the size of the stroke if I needed to.  I'm curious about choosing to use a fill and no stroke instead of the other way around.

If I want my text to read like normal text, I don't want them "empty". I just fill with a solid color and the text will show like "normal" text. It is also easier to read, whether it is for a title, a date, or journaling too.

21 minutes ago, Cassel said:

If I want my text to read like normal text, I don't want them "empty". I just fill with a solid color and the text will show like "normal" text. It is also easier to read, whether it is for a title, a date, or journaling too.

Thanks.  I'll have to pay more attention to that. 

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

And they both don't work?

Neither one will play the video. I went into the Campus, and those won't play either. I went to several other sites where I watch video, and those WILL play. And I have rebooted my computer.

Update--I logged out of the Campus, then I could watch the lesson 5 video. But when I logged back in, there is just a black window where the video should be, and a 'play' arrow that doesn't do anything. I can't download the workbook until my counter resets, which I thought would have been today. 

blackWindow.jpg

Edited by Linda J Walker
updated info

23 hours ago, Cassel said:

I don't see how the blacked-out video would have anything to do with the number of downloads. That is strange.

I should have said I was talking about Lesson 1.  I tried Lesson 2 , 3 and 4 today and they too are all blacked out. I double checked and I was signed in  and my diamond membership is active.  I am using Microsoft Edge and other videos play ok.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lesley Maple said:

Thanks.  I'll have to pay more attention to that. 

Oh I must have been thinking of something else.  Because now that I've actually used some text and paid attention, I, too, use fill.  Please ignore me.  I've obviously had a long week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Susan Ewart Maybe we'll make a design for such a T-Shirt!

@Donna SilliaYes, as the larger nodes are easier to SEE, they are not easier to SELECT. You are doing great and it is nice to hear that things are getting a bit easier. I hope the previous lessons also sunk in to help with the future ones. For the hearts on the ellipse, if you used a brush, change the rotation mode to Directional in the Brush Variance palette for the hearts to follow the path (that is just one option you can try).

@Leslie Gifford Cook Practice helps but so far, so good!

@James Brady A lot of talent, yours included.

@Dorothy DonnDid you try to watch the previous videos too? Are they also blacked out?

@Connie Collier I am glad you got the zip file in the end. If you needed to REVERSE a second time, maybe it had not reversed in the first place.

@Suzy Yes, you can reopen the .pspShape file, tweak it and re-export it.

@Corrie KinkelAs the lessons go, practice should make the whole process easier over time. Glad that the lesson 5 was easier.

@Jnet Allard Do what you can when you can. Even if you only do the basic practice, and come back later.

@Lynda DiGregor You are doing great catching up!

@CristinaI am glad that this lesson was easier. Giving you time to breathe a little more.

@Art Kuiper Keep it up. Nothing fancy is required. Practice is basic!

@Bobby YeaterI was wondering if you had exported that shape with the different colors. Although one can easily use those colors with the "Retain style", it might surprise the user if that checkbox is NOT checked. That's all.

@Anita Wyatt Did you get my email? Sometimes, just a quick Zoom call can pinpoint the exact step that is missing or in the wrong order. I have helped a few participants like that with such tiny details that made all the difference between being stuck and getting through the lessons.

@Gerry Landreth Great results for your practice. When you are not getting the correct selection, is the correct OBJECT selected?

@fiona cook It gives you a better understanding of how the path will affect the text. Did you check that article about moving the text on a path?

@Ann Seeber Catch me by email. A quick Zoom might help.

@Sheila HoggBeautiful projects!

@Linda J WalkerAre the previous videos still playing or are they also blacked out? I have not done anything in the backend, so that is strange. Please, update me tomorrow if the situation changes.

@Deana Davis With practice, it might get more automatic with time!

@Marvin FojtasekIsn't it annoying with a tiny detail is missing and causes the result to not work?

@Lesley Maple Vectors have NOT changed at all since at least version 9. The exact same steps work the exact same way. I wish everyone found the article on the blog about that text in reverse.

@sharon thompsonThat is a delicious-looking project!

@rjay seguraBeautiful composition.

@Cindy Lawrence Great result. You are catching up nicely.

Keep those projects coming. I can see that most of you are getting a bit more comfortable with vectors and nodes. Remember that practice is still important. Tomorrow, I expect the lesson will be easier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Donna SilliaYes, as the larger nodes are easier to SEE, they are not easier to SELECT. You are doing great and it is nice to hear that things are getting a bit easier. I hope the previous lessons also sunk in to help with the future ones. For the hearts on the ellipse, if you used a brush, change the rotation mode to Directional in the Brush Variance palette for the hearts to follow the path (that is just one option you can try).

@Dorothy DonnDid you try to watch the previous videos too? Are they also blacked out?

@Connie Collier I am glad you got the zip file in the end. If you needed to REVERSE a second time, maybe it had not reversed in the first place.

@Corrie KinkelAs the lessons go, practice should make the whole process easier over time. Glad that the lesson 5 was easier.

@Jnet Allard Do what you can when you can. Even if you only do the basic practice, and come back later.

@CristinaI am glad that this lesson was easier. Giving you time to breathe a little more.

@Bobby YeaterI was wondering if you had exported that shape with the different colors. Although one can easily use those colors with the "Retain style", it might surprise the user if that checkbox is NOT checked. That's all.

@Anita Wyatt Did you get my email? Sometimes, just a quick Zoom call can pinpoint the exact step that is missing or in the wrong order. I have helped a few participants like that with such tiny details that made all the difference between being stuck and getting through the lessons.

@Gerry Landreth Great results for your practice. When you are not getting the correct selection, is the correct OBJECT selected?

@fiona cook It gives you a better understanding of how the path will affect the text. Did you check that article about moving the text on a path?

@Linda J WalkerAre the previous videos still playing or are they also blacked out? I have not done anything in the backend, so that is strange. Please, update me tomorrow if the situation changes.

@Marvin FojtasekIsn't it annoying with a tiny detail is missing and causes the result to not work?

@Lesley Maple Vectors have NOT changed at all since at least version 9. The exact same steps work the exact same way. I wish everyone found the article on the blog about that text in reverse.

Keep those projects coming. I can see that most of you are getting a bit more comfortable with vectors and nodes. Remember that practice is still important. Tomorrow, I expect the lesson will be easier.

Carole, I remembered you once before recommended the brush, and I did try it. It didn't work because I forgot to change the brush variance to directional. I am still trying to perfect the project. Once it was published, I noticed several things that I want to change. Fortunately, I saved it step by step so that I don't have to start from scratch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linda J Walker said:

there is just a black window where the video should be, and a 'play' arrow that doesn't do anything.

Linda, I had the same issue with the Quick-Page workshop on Day 8. I tried 3 different browsers and got the same black window or an error message, depending on the browser. 

After a few days, for whatever reason, I could watch the video. It is still a mystery why it happened.

• Like 2

I am having problems with lesson 2 and especially lesson 3.  Lesson 2 I did finish, but lesson 3 I have repeated it about 4 times now.  I just cannot get it.

I will not give up and will keep trying.  At least I have my sling off now so I kind of have 2 hands to type.  I know I am doing something wrong, but will not give up.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Carolyn Rye said:

I am having problems with lesson 2 and especially lesson 3.  Lesson 2 I did finish, but lesson 3 I have repeated it about 4 times now.  I just cannot get it.

I will not give up and will keep trying.  At least I have my sling off now so I kind of have 2 hands to type.  I know I am doing something wrong, but will not give up.

If you give some specifics of what is happening, where your result seems to differ, etc. it will help us help you by pinpointing possible details.

I'm loving seeing what everyone is producing - so many wonderful vectors.

My lesson 5 results below. I started looking for images but a lack of time made me pull back and focus just on learning the techniques. 

Day 5 Text.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 4

I'm a day late and a dollar short. I had to give up yesterday because my PSP was possessed. It seems to have been exorcised today so I finished Lesson 4. For the teacup, I ended up creating a zig-zag shape so I could add it on top of the cup shape. I'm learning a lot about the pen tool and nodes. Now if I can only retain the information. lol On to Lesson 5

large.Cup01withsmokedecorated.jpg.4ffb24a3a4d7c541af77a239bb880825.jpglarge.Cup02b-msf.jpg.327ead7ac6416cf600e08072a45a9fde.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 8

9 hours ago, Cassel said:

There is no change today. If I am logged in, I can't watch the video, nor can I download the guidebook. I have to log out to see the video, and then there is no option to download the guidebook. I have to log in to get into the campus, but then I can't see any videos! This is very frustrating! It is like I am blocked out if I am logged in.

How do I know when I can download again? I really thought I should have been able to yesterday.

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Leslie Gifford Cook said:

I wasn't able to post an update yesterday because I didn't get the email with the info for Day 5.  I also don't see one yet for Day 6.  Not sure what is happening, but I set my "following" preferences back to all notifications and I'm seeing everyone else's progress with envy.  Thanks

I'll let you on a little secret: just use the URL from previous lessons and change the number to 5 or 6 for those lessons! ?

• Like 1