Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

Day 7.  This is a fun way to make a mask.  I quite enjoyed it.  I also went and sought out the "burnt edges" tutorial in the campus.  I think it would also look better if I added a curl to one of the corners...I'll need to head back to the campus for that one.  I also did a version without burnt corners.  

Here's the deets:

Font: Beast Bird

Screw Heads: a freebie picture tube from Carole (cass-screwheads)

All the elements (except the screws) are from Digital Scrapbook (KMRD, Gina Jones, Elif Sahin, CPJess, Jessica D - are the last two the same person?)

I used light beam (or something or other) I found going through the effects drop down to make a bright spot on "sun".  

So many beautiful layouts came in today while I was working on mine; they are fabulous! What a great workshop this is.

MasksWS Day 7-Here Comes the sun ver.2-600.jpg

• Love 6

2 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE this!  Wow, beautiful layout and really beautiful inspiring photography.  I learned reading another post you said males are mostly white.  I didnt know that.  What an experience that must be to see (and photograph) the creatures and spaces you travel in.

Thank you very much Susan.  It's  easy to distinguish males from females.  These two are mature females, younger females aren't as heavily barred.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 7.  This is a fun way to make a mask.  I quite enjoyed it.  I also went and sought out the "burnt edges" tutorial in the campus.  I think it would also look better if I added a curl to one of the corners...I'll need to head back to the campus for that one.  I also did a version without burnt corners.  

Here's the deets:

Font: Beast Bird

Screw Heads: a freebie picture tube from Carole (cass-screwheads)

All the elements (except the screws) are from Digital Scrapbook (KMRD, Gina Jones, Elif Sahin, CPJess, Jessica D - are the last two the same person?)

I used light beam (or something or other) I found going through the effects drop down to make a bright spot on "sun".  

So many beautiful layouts came in today while I was working on mine; they are fabulous! What a great workshop this is.

MasksWS Day 7-Here Comes the sun ver.2-600.jpg

Good thinking to create  the brunt edges on the paper.  I love it. As the sky is certainly on fire.  Like you we also have incredibly stunning sunrises and sunsets.  Which I'm addicted to photographing. 

• Love 1

@Mary SolaasThat kaleidoscope pattern is really toned down and it creates a great effect instead of being overpowering. Making a silhouette is a great way to handle bad colors and such too (not that yours had that issue).

@Donna SilliaUsing masks is also a way to "extract" elements. In fact, it would be a similar technique that is explained in this blog post.

@GabrielaGreat colorful layout with those butterflies. The superposition of three different sizes of polkadot gives a really interesting effect!

@Julie MagerkaThose "incomplete frames" are popular and so easy to make.

@Hank SobahYou can always answer the question the way you did. Or you can highlight the question, and you will have the option to "quote", which would create a post with my question and you can answer to it. You are having fun with AI effects? You created that lino pattern with non-monochrome settings. That looks really nice.

@TonimarieBeautiful mask. I am glad you are getting the hang of it.

@Susan EwartThe choice of a gradient is a great decision. Sometimes, we have to go to plan B when we start a project. And for the Pick tool, it is a known "bug". Typically, it happens if you used a keyboard shortcut before, like Ctrl-C, or Ctrl-D. But other times, it seems random. That burnt edge is a really nice addition and you did it quite well too.

@Karen BorgmannGreat start. Better late than never!

@Marie-ClaireTo create the interlacing frames along with the shadows, the trick is to add the shadows on the same layer as the individual frames. That way, the shadows would follow. If you have the shadows on separate layers, it is still workable, but you just have to repeat the same steps (with the same selection) to the shadow layers.

@MoniqueN.As mentioned by Corrie, it is possible that the Pick tool changed mode. It is an annoying behavior!

@Rene MarkerThat is quite an interesting font! Thanks for sharing the name.

@Anne LampWas that text on a path or individual words you just rotated? I am glad to see that you are starting with the lino pattern and working with it to create something different. It is not always easy to "plan" the end result of that technique.

@Bonnie BallentineWhen you post an image, don't you still have the same options on the bottom right of the field to add another image?

@sharon thompson You will see that if you change details like the scale of a polkadot, it might give a very different result. And changes in colors, blend modes, etc. can also make the pattern less powerful. And yes, all the comments, from me and other participants is a big part of these workshops. Isn't this a great community?

@Corrie KinkelThe Disolve blend mode is quite different from the others as it  is based on the Opacity level. I guess it is different from how we expect colors to be adjusted by blend modes, but you found a grea way to use it.

@Ann SeeberThat triple frame is such a delicate additional detail. Great effect.

@Gerry LandrethIs that a multi-layered font?

@cindy harris Is it possible you clicked on the wrong blue button? Those pages are often made to be confusing.

@Sue ThomasYou surely know how the tutorials are meant to be integrated and customized! As users get comfortable with the techniques, that is when we see the most variations.

@Lesley MapleDid you happen to use a solid color overlay? It looks like it and it seems like it has been accidentally shifted down (see a little gap on the top). That happens to me often when I want to move one element and a different layer is activated.

Although this is officially the last day of the workshop, the tutorials will stay available for another week for anyone who needs to catch up. Of course, DIAMOND members do have a permanent access. If you want to join  as a DIAMOND member, head over to this page. All the tutorials for the different background papers are part of the membership and we have dozens of other patterns tutorials.

And remember to fill out the survey!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Good thinking to create  the brunt edges on the paper.  I love it. As the sky is certainly on fire.  Like you we also have incredibly stunning sunrises and sunsets.  Which I'm addicted to photographing. 

I do love anything "sky" related; sunset/rises, clouds, lightning.  All so fascinating.  Often though, I am driving to or from work, or at work seeing out the windows at beautiful sunsets and can only just watch.  I'm in an urban area so there is much clutter from power lines and houses.  It always seems like when it's a day off, it's a cloudy day.  It's looks like you have some good open space, or at least maybe you are able to isolate a tree for a silhoutte against the sunset/rise.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I do love anything "sky" related; sunset/rises, clouds, lightning.  All so fascinating.  Often though, I am driving to or from work, or at work seeing out the windows at beautiful sunsets and can only just watch.  I'm in an urban area so there is much clutter from power lines and houses.  It always seems like when it's a day off, it's a cloudy day.  It's looks like you have some good open space, or at least maybe you are able to isolate a tree for a silhoutte against the sunset/rise.  

It's  very rural where I  am, wide open spaces in every direction.  I'm  on a farm surrounded by arable land. I have 25 acres for the horses, the rest is rented out, as we don't  farm ourselves.  Which I  miss,  I miss the livestock, especially the sheep. 

21 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

It's  very rural where I  am, wide open spaces in every direction.  I'm  on a farm surrounded by arable land. I have 25 acres for the horses, the rest is rented out, as we don't  farm ourselves.  Which I  miss,  I miss the livestock, especially the sheep. 

Oh, that's sounds so wonderful.  My husband and I lived/worked on several horse farms (he was a stallion handler - for breeding) many years ago. I miss the horses too.  Having our lunch out in the field with the pregnant mares, listening to them munch grass and swish their tails.  I find the city noisy, I can always hear beeping of industrial equipment as this city does alot of stuff at night.  

17 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

Today I learned how to move a mask and how to make polka dots. I also learned that text on top of polka dots is not necessarily a good thing. I played with both the size & blending of the dots as well as the type and size of text and ended up frustrated. I added a border to finish it off. I think that I will make a batch of polka dot washi tape instead and stick to textured or plaid paper in the future. The font is Script MT Bold.

mask lesson7 sharon.jpg

This is beautiful Sharon.  

12 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Mary SolaasThat kaleidoscope pattern is really toned down and it creates a great effect instead of being overpowering. Making a silhouette is a great way to handle bad colors and such too (not that yours had that issue).

@Donna SilliaUsing masks is also a way to "extract" elements. In fact, it would be a similar technique that is explained in this blog post.

@GabrielaGreat colorful layout with those butterflies. The superposition of three different sizes of polkadot gives a really interesting effect!

@Julie MagerkaThose "incomplete frames" are popular and so easy to make.

@Hank SobahYou can always answer the question the way you did. Or you can highlight the question, and you will have the option to "quote", which would create a post with my question and you can answer to it. You are having fun with AI effects? You created that lino pattern with non-monochrome settings. That looks really nice.

@TonimarieBeautiful mask. I am glad you are getting the hang of it.

@Susan EwartThe choice of a gradient is a great decision. Sometimes, we have to go to plan B when we start a project. And for the Pick tool, it is a known "bug". Typically, it happens if you used a keyboard shortcut before, like Ctrl-C, or Ctrl-D. But other times, it seems random. That burnt edge is a really nice addition and you did it quite well too.

@Karen BorgmannGreat start. Better late than never!

@Marie-ClaireTo create the interlacing frames along with the shadows, the trick is to add the shadows on the same layer as the individual frames. That way, the shadows would follow. If you have the shadows on separate layers, it is still workable, but you just have to repeat the same steps (with the same selection) to the shadow layers.

@MoniqueN.As mentioned by Corrie, it is possible that the Pick tool changed mode. It is an annoying behavior!

@Rene MarkerThat is quite an interesting font! Thanks for sharing the name.

@Anne LampWas that text on a path or individual words you just rotated? I am glad to see that you are starting with the lino pattern and working with it to create something different. It is not always easy to "plan" the end result of that technique.

@Bonnie BallentineWhen you post an image, don't you still have the same options on the bottom right of the field to add another image?

@sharon thompson You will see that if you change details like the scale of a polkadot, it might give a very different result. And changes in colors, blend modes, etc. can also make the pattern less powerful. And yes, all the comments, from me and other participants is a big part of these workshops. Isn't this a great community?

@Corrie KinkelThe Disolve blend mode is quite different from the others as it  is based on the Opacity level. I guess it is different from how we expect colors to be adjusted by blend modes, but you found a grea way to use it.

@Ann SeeberThat triple frame is such a delicate additional detail. Great effect.

@Gerry LandrethIs that a multi-layered font?

@cindy harris Is it possible you clicked on the wrong blue button? Those pages are often made to be confusing.

@Sue ThomasYou surely know how the tutorials are meant to be integrated and customized! As users get comfortable with the techniques, that is when we see the most variations.

@Lesley MapleDid you happen to use a solid color overlay? It looks like it and it seems like it has been accidentally shifted down (see a little gap on the top). That happens to me often when I want to move one element and a different layer is activated.

Although this is officially the last day of the workshop, the tutorials will stay available for another week for anyone who needs to catch up. Of course, DIAMOND members do have a permanent access. If you want to join  as a DIAMOND member, head over to this page. All the tutorials for the different background papers are part of the membership and we have dozens of other patterns tutorials.

And remember to fill out the survey!

Thank you for all the feedback.  I keep trying new and old things along with the workshop and finding some interesting stuff to do.  I am having fun with both the AI stuff, and Filter Forge effects but so far no Filter Forge in the masks workshop.  As you noted, I also use overlays and blendings - lot of fun!

• Like 1

Day 7 Masks Workshop, chose to use the twins, unfortunately I don't have a lot of pictures of only them ?  As you can see, I took the Polka Dot idea and did something a little different with artistic lines, fills, and overlay and some Text lessons from previous workshops.

image.png.8e862bf32416f43ac1977bc2beb1a146.png

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I leaned a lot (like how not to assume that you have finished watching all of the video when you are interrupted by a power outage). The pick tool is one that I never used before and it is fast becoming one of my favorites. The text on a path links from Cassel were especially appreciated but my head still aches over brush variances. I loved the chance to practice masks and get individual as well as group feedback. Plus I have a list of things to try that other students used in their assignments. It was a delightful way to spend time during a cold and wet and gloomy week. Many thanks to Cassel and all the participants.

winter squirrel TY sharon.png

• Love 3

10 minutes ago, sharon thompson said:

I leaned a lot (like how not to assume that you have finished watching all of the video when you are interrupted by a power outage). The pick tool is one that I never used before and it is fast becoming one of my favorites. The text on a path links from Cassel were especially appreciated but my head still aches over brush variances. I loved the chance to practice masks and get individual as well as group feedback. Plus I have a list of things to try that other students used in their assignments. It was a delightful way to spend time during a cold and wet and gloomy week. Many thanks to Cassel and all the participants.

winter squirrel TY sharon.png

Sharon, this is really stunning.  

16 hours ago, Cassel said:

OK! thank you!

I finally completed Mask 7. I had a lot of problems with Chrome yesterday. The pictures are from my grandson who recently visited Mexico with his girlfriend. I used a flower brush for  mask 1 and a watercolor brush for mask 2. For the background, I followed the embossed pattern in the tutorials. The fonts are morning love, broadway engraved and annabel.

wmask2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Project 5.  Still behind.  Using several layers for the background and the top layer was a pattern from a previous project and the blend mode.  There is a brush that looks like a record (kind of) so I used that for around the original circle mask.  I also used it for the records as elements.  The font was Fresh Hansler Duo (CF) for the title.  I used some different settings than I usually use for the Sun Records placque - inner bevel, and I used chisel on the paper behind it.  This has been a challenging workshop and I do intend to finish it.  I played around with creating a mask from those watercolor brushes from an earlier project and I'm also going to post a layout using the one I developed that uses some odd but interesting brushes around the edges.  I think I learned more about blend modes this time as well as refreshing my understanding of how to make a mask.  Anyway, it has been most interesting.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Project 5_600.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Love 8

36 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Project 5.  Still behind.  Using several layers for the background and the top layer was a pattern from a previous project and the blend mode.  There is a brush that looks like a record (kind of) so I used that for around the original circle mask.  I also used it for the records as elements.  The font was Fresh Hansler Duo (CF) for the title.  I used some different settings than I usually use for the Sun Records placque - inner bevel, and I used chisel on the paper behind it.  This has been a challenging workshop and I do intend to finish it.  I played around with creating a mask from those watercolor brushes from an earlier project and I'm also going to post a layout using the one I developed that uses some odd but interesting brushes around the edges.  I think I learned more about blend modes this time as well as refreshing my understanding of how to make a mask.  Anyway, it has been most interesting.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Project 5_600.jpg

This is very nice Mary.  The music notes going through diagonally makes it dynamic.  Those discs really do look like records, the mask is well done.  I learned more this time around too.  Perhaps I wasnt as much in panic mode at learning new stuff.  

And now Project 6.  My linoleum started out green, but I used Hue Saturation Lightness and changed the color.  Title font is Aryaduta (CF).  I extracted the chess pieces (only the white ones - I used Brightness and Contrast for the black pieces (duplicate copies of the white ones).  Fun with the curled ribbon made with a script from Cassel.  This mask is the one I talked about in the previous post - I made it with the watercolor brushes and some interesting twiggy brushes around the edges.  I inner bevelled and drop shadowed the title.  The white swirlly things on the paper in back of the masked picture were made with a brush I had made earlier playing around with the fancy squiggles and things that come with some of the fonts.  I had forgotten how you made linoleum.  I think I will play around with that again when I finally finish this workshop.  One more project to go.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Project 6_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 6

On 2/19/2023 at 8:34 PM, Sue Thomas said:

Days 6 and 7.  Friday and Saturday proved to be productive full hiking days.     Corner punches used on both pages,  lino  paper, and  instead of using polka dots, I used 2 different  snowflakes, with different sizes.  I used 2 overlays on the 18th Feb page.  Brushes  to create the masks.   Pages sized down to 5x7 photo  paper.  I haven't exactly conformed with what Carole demonstrated.  I  sort of went off on a whim.

Day 7.jpg

Day 6.jpg

Great feature the way you used the corner punches in a large size!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Great feature the way you used the corner punches in a large size!

Thanks Julie.  Unless I use the corner punches  to create  labels, or  other small elements, it's  my opinion and personal preference  to use them very large , and not as tiny punches on the corners of large background pages. Making them  insignificant.   This way they really pack a punch, as they should.  Pardon the pun!!    Of  course it depends the layout and the creator.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1