Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

Day 4 - Am a bit behind but hope to finish 2 assignments today to catch up. I used a watercolor brush from Sweetpoison over at Deviant Art (they have such intriguing names there). It took a couple of tries to get it right and I did cheat by placing the photo to one edge. Then I got the bright idea of using another photo as a background paper. The background that was being masked out was a bit dark so it doesn't really blend that well with the background photo but at least I got the concept right, I think. 

mask4 sharon.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 13

19 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I also do that Rene, where I will open a template or image and if I do do shift D (because I'm too lazy to re-type the name when I do "Save As"), I'll just do Save As right away and usually I add WIP (Work in Progress) to the end so can find it right away.  When I'm finished I take the WIP off or I'll put FINAL in it's place.  I really enjoy seeing how everyone's work flow, flows, it's quite interesting to me.

I never save the templates with the template name which is what save as does! Each layout gets its own unique name that is quite different than the template name and I save them in a folder specifically for my working files so I have to change folders as well.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Lesson 3

My first Great Grandchild. Unfortunately the only photos I have are sent through messenger. The quality pretty much stinks. 

I just copied Carole's setup.

The background was made according to lesson 3.

Mask Workshop 3-Caspian-sm.jpg

Wow, Lynda, congrats! I love the name, Caspian. I'm just the opposite that photos I get through Messenger are pretty much all I use, and they look good to me. I do have it on my desktop so I can download straight to my hard drive. And I don't do a Save As, I open each file up and use the download icon top right. Not sure if that would make a difference or not...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Lesson 3

My first Great Grandchild. Unfortunately the only photos I have are sent through messenger. The quality pretty much stinks. 

I just copied Carole's setup.

The background was made according to lesson 3.

Mask Workshop 3-Caspian-sm.jpg

Lynda congratulations and due to the fact that the photos for the campus are compressed it looks fine to me! He is a cutie!

• Like 1

My youngest grandsons ski and the oldest snowboard. I used the younger ones since snowboarders haven't sent me any good pictures yet even though there is snow in the mountains near Las Vegas. The photos and background are my own. The snow was made with a cassel script and the flakes were made with a brush. The font is Christmas Flakes which is a free download. This mask was not my favorite since the pictures were too close to the edges.

dsWaitingforsnow.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 5

Day 5 and again a photo of a plant that I saw on my trip from last year. I used a hexagon brush to make the mask with some imprints of a leaf brush. A hexagon frame with a bevel and the font is Bahnschrift. The background and the corner punches I have in my stash and I don't know where I got them from.

Mask Workshop-day5-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 12

Day 5 - Am caught up now.  Unfortunately, paint brushes are not my favorite tool. All their specific settings can be frustrating at times. Maybe that is why I make pngs of all my brushes & use them that way. Anyway, I had to do this assignment three times in order to get snowflake brushes as part of the mask. The photos are from Pixabay and HClipheart,, the background paper is from Freepik, the snowflake brushes are from Deviant Art, and the font is MingLiu from FontsAddict.

mask5 sharon.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 11

Day 5. I again used the retired Christmas Cheer kit from Bella Gypsy. When I put this layout in a book for my cousin, it will right after my Day 2 layout, so I coordinated them. I also used some foliage from a CU Foliage kit (#1) from Kristin Aagard which is available at The Lily Pad. And, I used a guitar from another Kristin Aagard kit "Faithful" also available at The Lily Pad.

20231223 Guitar.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 11

@kasanyWhat does the TB mean in your layout? Was that a lost Teddy Bear?

@Rene MarkerOut of curiosity, does your version have the compression slider when you Save as...? It is great that you used the musical note but with only a little rotation and not have any upside down.

@RandyYou will have fans with cat pictures! The plaid pattern made from the image will surely match. Play with the scale for different effects too.

@Anne LampYou did something different, but it worked, right?

@fiona cookAt first, I didn't realize that the "tips" were part of the mask: I thought they were the stems of the garlic! LOL Then, I realized how the mask was made!

@Doska St.I don't know how PI works but in PS, you can "associate" the mask to a layer, while in PSP, masks need to be in a group. I guess it is a matter of habit, whatever program you use. You'll get used to PSP!

@Gerry LandrethYou certainly used a lot of tools and tutorials for that beach project!! The result is great.

@Ann SeeberSuch a great way to showcase a meaningful photo!!!

@Marie-ClaireOne trick to create a kaleidoscope pattern that is not overpowering is to select a section with little color variations. Then, it would create a more subtle design.

@sharon thompsonYou ended up with a great combo with your two photos. Maybe after some practice, you will get more comfortable with the Brush tool. Maybe, in the future, I could make a workshop just about Brushes?

@Lynda DiGregorYes, photos shared through FB are purposefully downgraded. For some projects, it might be ok but if you wanted to print a full-size page, I am not sure how well it would be. I remember when I was at work and would want to create FB headers with photos shared from my colleague, they were often blurred. I HAD to ask her to send them by email, which annoyed her since FB was so much faster for her!

@Donna SilliaHow did you do that green background? It looks great!

@Corrie KinkelI can almost smell those flowers!

@Emerald Jay Such a great mask to showcase this cutie!

@Carolyn RyeI am glad to hear that you learn something in every lesson. That is the goal of these workshops!

• Like 1

Day 2!  I'm just moving right along now.  I might even get done by the end of next week!  Yeesh, what  week to have a heavy workload.  

Continuing on with playing with the PencilSketch2 Script and some old tools left by the previous homeowner when we bought the house (and he was "kind" enough to leave numerous mystery liquids in unrelated containers that we had to take to the hazardous materials dump since we didn't know what any of it was 😨).  But, the tools were cool so I kept them.  the railroad spikes I had already.  I used the Lady 22 template 158 and changed it to fit my photos.  I didn't do the plaid...mostly because I forgot and because it didn't fit with the idea I had, although plaid shirts and tools go together so maybe I should re-think that.  

For the title I used the Letterpress Script (Creation Cassel) and I used the steel version but added a bit of color. 

Background paper is from Sheila Reid VPS Set 01 - paper texture - 06 (Digital Scrapbook) - it's originally blue, I did a negative image then changed the color with HSL.  

I love the PencilSketch2 script, there is a lot you can customize with the layers you get after the script is finished.  You might see a little more color in the smaller photo.  The photo you use is also in the layers palette (a duplicate as your original is not harmed in any way) so I brought it up above the background layers then lowered the opacity so add a little more color.  

Masks WS Day 2 - Tools-1-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 12

11 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

DAY 3
Template: Lady22 (lady22.eklablog.com) - Butterfly: Janet Kemp (Digitalscrapbook) - Cluster: Jessica Dunn (Digitalscrapbook) - Wordart: Freebie (Creativefabrica)
The kaleidoscope patterns were always overpowering, so I solved it this way.

large.mclp_Masks_Worksh_24_02_12_d03_600.jpg.30490f6dca2d8a7e817267b53b01c4d5.jpg

I like how you used the kaleidoscope pattern

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

Day 5 - Am caught up now.  Unfortunately, paint brushes are not my favorite tool. All their specific settings can be frustrating at times. Maybe that is why I make pngs of all my brushes & use them that way. Anyway, I had to do this assignment three times in order to get snowflake brushes as part of the mask. The photos are from Pixabay and HClipheart,, the background paper is from Freepik, the snowflake brushes are from Deviant Art, and the font is MingLiu from FontsAddict.

mask5 sharon.jpg

Great design and sentiment. Not sure I understood how you would use a brush stroke as a PNG. Doesn't that make your file overall huge in memory size?

Day 3 - variation

I decided to try to make a copy of the image and use that, as smaller, for the background.  I could have taken more time to clean around it, but I like the effect.

MASKING 3a 600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Day 3 and 4 🙂

"Zo gaat de molen" is the title of a Dutch song for children, my granddaughter loves to sing it with me, well I sing, she does the movements (she is 2 years now since thursday🥳) The kaleidoscope I totally forgot it was in PSP, was nice to use it again.

Sometimes it's nice to have a "calm" pages, with not too much things added.

Day 4 is a shipyard form the old days from the Netherlands. It closed in 1947 and rebuilt in the museum in 1948.

Font is Bree serif and I used a brush form the link Carole had in her lesson.

Dag 3-600.jpg

Dag 4-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, MoniqueN. said:

Day 3 and 4 🙂

"Zo gaat de molen" is the title of a Dutch song for children, my granddaughter loves to sing it with me, well I sing, she does the movements (she is 2 years now since thursday🥳) The kaleidoscope I totally forgot it was in PSP, was nice to use it again.

Sometimes it's nice to have a "calm" pages, with not too much things added.

Day 4 is a shipyard form the old days from the Netherlands. It closed in 1947 and rebuilt in the museum in 1948.

Font is Bree serif and I used a brush form the link Carole had in her lesson.

Dag 3-600.jpg

Dag 4-600.jpg

The brush work on your Day 4 layout is really beautifully done.  So perfect for that image.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 5 and again a photo of a plant that I saw on my trip from last year. I used a hexagon brush to make the mask with some imprints of a leaf brush. A hexagon frame with a bevel and the font is Bahnschrift. The background and the corner punches I have in my stash and I don't know where I got them from.

Mask Workshop-day5-600.jpg

Corrie: Forgive me for changing the subject but I wanted to show you what I found in a Marisa Lerin "For the Love of Cats" bundle that I just purchased. An entire folder of Dutch word art.

dutch.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 5
  • WOW 1

14 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Lynda congratulations and due to the fact that the photos for the campus are compressed it looks fine to me! He is a cutie!

Thanks Corrie. I wasn't to sure about the name Caspian as we are mostly Italian, little English but I thinks it's just fine now. The Grandfather and Son/Father are Scots but I'm not sure if  they know the name is of English origin. Of Course Scotland and England do share borders.