Template Workshop 2024

Cassel

Carole:  

Here is the message I got.  I clicked okay and "thought"  it wasn't saving it at all.  Well, clearly I had been in another folder before I did that because it was saving it into that folder, clearly I wasn't paying attention.  I kept saving and saving and I could see it wasn't under my Day 6 folder....so, I guess the hitting okay worked fine (the operator obviously didn't work fine -ME!).  But other than that.  Why do you think it was going to "fail".  At the time I was trying to find a nice fill for the font and was trying out all kinds of gradients, then patterns and different settings.  Do you think I was just clicking too much too fast and it got messed up trying to save the temp files fast enough?  

weird error.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Day 5 done, I decided for this one just to focus on one seed, the Melon that I threw in just for fun and didn't expect to sprout. For just a few days it's doing really well. The font is Holiween one that I really like, all the elements are melon flowers  hopefully I will get to see some one day and I added a tiny spider, just because. I used techniques from one of the earlier lessons to add a frame. I didn't like the ricrac so added a second ribbon instead.

5_600.jpg.6dad4c77ab7a455cceeaf0948747f59e.jpg

Edited by Harmony Birch
  • Like 5
  • Love 11

@Julian Adams It is ok to alter templates and at this point, it means you are getting more comfortable with them.

@Anja Pelzer That is a lot of work to catch up! Those mushroom photos are beautiful! And good work on customizing the projects.

@kasany You have great shadows on the teddy bear, but I think they are missing from the photos.

@Jen Brown I am glad you are getting back into PSP and that you find those tutorials helpful. 

@Emerald Jay That is a great kit you created. Is that a sharable kit? If so, do you have a link to it? If not, it is ok.

@MoniqueN. Isn't it nice how the scallops are perfectly suited to the page?

@bina greene That Greek kit is so colorful!!! Did you take those pictures?

@Gerry Landreth I love that play on word, whether it is accurate or not!!

@Donna Sillia You are doing a lot of manual work to customize your projects. The results are wonderful!

@France Rivest C'est intéressant de voir que tu utilises des rubans à mesurer avec un sujet complètement différent du mien!

@Royanne Hewko Is he actually vacuuming the grass???

@Julie Magerka If you get sick of a project, put it aside. We don't want you to be put off by any project! In the end, I don't know if you like it or not, but I think it looks great!

@Sheila Hogg I think I would rather call those flowers "Blue Poppy" than that long Latin name! I am glad you enjoyed the workshop.

@sharon thompson Oh, that is annoying when something like that happens. At least, when you redo it, it is faster because you know what you want to place where. At least, it saves that time.

@Anne Lamp That is lunchtime for the robin's babies!

@Carolyn Rye I think the ricrac ribbon is missing its shadow, or the shadow is moved off. Is that possible?

@Susan Ewart Yes, the Blend modes can really expand your stash by offering so many additional options of colors. About the error you are getting, I have never seen that before. It seems related to the auto-preserve and not the actual saving of the file. Is that possible? I wonder if you can turn off the auto-preserve and re-enable it later?

@Harmony Birch It is a good idea to focus on a single seed. It allows you to make closer shots!

I know that not everyone has done their 7 projects, so keep them coming!!!

13 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Julian Adams It is ok to alter templates and at this point, it means you are getting more comfortable with them.

@Anja Pelzer That is a lot of work to catch up! Those mushroom photos are beautiful! And good work on customizing the projects.

@kasany You have great shadows on the teddy bear, but I think they are missing from the photos.

@Jen Brown I am glad you are getting back into PSP and that you find those tutorials helpful. 

@Emerald Jay That is a great kit you created. Is that a sharable kit? If so, do you have a link to it? If not, it is ok.

@Donna Sillia You are doing a lot of manual work to customize your projects. The results are wonderful!

@France Rivest C'est intéressant de voir que tu utilises des rubans à mesurer avec un sujet complètement différent du mien!

@Julie Magerka If you get sick of a project, put it aside. We don't want you to be put off by any project! In the end, I don't know if you like it or not, but I think it looks great!

@Sheila Hogg I think I would rather call those flowers "Blue Poppy" than that long Latin name! I am glad you enjoyed the workshop.

@sharon thompson Oh, that is annoying when something like that happens. At least, when you redo it, it is faster because you know what you want to place where. At least, it saves that time.

@Carolyn Rye I think the ricrac ribbon is missing its shadow, or the shadow is moved off. Is that possible?

@Susan Ewart Yes, the Blend modes can really expand your stash by offering so many additional options of colors. About the error you are getting, I have never seen that before. It seems related to the auto-preserve and not the actual saving of the file. Is that possible? I wonder if you can turn off the auto-preserve and re-enable it later?

@Harmony Birch It is a good idea to focus on a single seed. It allows you to make closer shots!

Yes he is.   All the sand blows in and the best way to get it out is vacuum.   Only in Yuma, AZ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

It seems related to the auto-preserve and not the actual saving of the file. Is that possible? I wonder if you can turn off the auto-preserve and re-enable it later?

Thank you Carole.  I will look at how to do that.  I never thought about it being the auto-preserve (I dont even know what that is or how to use it other than seeing those folders that show up) but that sure makes sense.  Is this something I would want to normally keep on, or can I just turn it off for good?

• Like 2

Day 7

Before we got the cold and snow I noticed that the mahogany bushes in my neighborhood already had big fat buds and I have a couple of photos from another year where they are in flower. They mostly flower somewhere in January/February at least where I live. I wanted to use those photos for day 7 and used the diamond template but I rotated t because my photos are landscape format. When I work on something else I often start with a template and rotate it to give me what I want. The colors were a bit of a challenge because the colors of the photos are vibrant and I didn't want to overpower those with vibrant colors of the papers. I couldn't find a kit to my liking so I used what I have is my stash where I store all kinds of things that I find somewhere, mostly for situations like this. So most of it I can't attribute to someone. Besides that I changed some of the colors as well. The doilie is from Marissa Lerin in the kit Fire and Ice and the font is Hobo.

Template Workshop-day7-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 10

Carole, I used to sell all my kits in a store named Wilma4Ever quite a few years ago when there were many digital scrapbooking stores around. I find that most of the stores are no longer here.  I don't do that anymore.  They are no longer available, sorry. I found the old preview.

emjay_FromTheHeartFS_preview.jpg

Edited by Emerald Jay
  • Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Emerald Jay said:

Carole, I used to sell all my kits in a store named Wilma4Ever quite a few years ago when there were many digital scrapbooking stores around. I find that most of the stores are no longer here.  I don't do that anymore.  They are no longer available, sorry. I found the old preview.

emjay_FromTheHeartFS_preview.jpg

I don't sell mine, but since the Scrapbook Kit Workshop in the beginning of last year, I have decided that that is the best way to keep the many elements and papers I have made.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 6

What a great video using the blend modes with the textured paper.  I used the paper (blue) from the kit as I new I wanted blue anyway. Blend mode used was Multiply.  the layer above I had a metal element (was a brass metal clock outer ring element) that I resized to the the blue paper fully then used the blend mode Dodge to make it look like it was part of the paper design (opacity of clock lowered to 38).  Ditto for the faint clock hands at 9 and 12, using a blend mode of Softlight and reduce opacity to 57.  Title has an inner bevel.  Paper doily I used HSL to make it a light ivory instead of stark white.  Tiny white clock I added an inner bevel as well.  I had a weird message about not being able to save.  I'm not super happy with the title fill but was having such issues saving that I just went with it in case catastrophe struck.

The deets:

Background paper: Riley B Graphics (Creative Fabrica)

Blue Paper and white clock face:  Janet Scott - elegant autumn mini kit (Digital Scrapbook) 

Bottom flowers/clock ring/clock hands/wings: (on blue paper):  Kerry Dempsy -KMRD Steampunk Elements (Digital Scrapbook)

Bee Wax Seal: Billie Irene Steampunk something or other kit (Digital Scrapbook)

Font: Samantha Upright (Creative Fabrica) - used glyphs on "S" "t" and "s" 

TempWS Day 6-Stages-600.jpg

Wow, love that element that you blended into the blue paper. It works.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 7

The hardest thing about this for me was picking out all the papers because of all the colors in the photos.  So, other than the main background paper, I decided to use all solids and added different textures to them.  I like how it turned out.

Carole, thank you so much for the awesome workshop.  I came away with new tips from every one of the tutorials.

TW701prev.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 8

Day 7 Photos of my youngest grandson are from my daughter in law. Thomas loves to build things. The background was created using cass seamless background script with tools from Marisa Lerin. The pvc pipes, ruler and measuring tape were all from in Canva. The pvc patterns were created using cass scatter script and then cass seamless background. The green background paper was actually created by Thomas in Procreate. The font is Super Blash from Creative Fabrica.

dslittleengineer.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 6

12 hours ago, Cassel said:

Thank you, Carole

This has been a wonderful workshop, and I was able to use the lessons from Make a Kit as well as some of your fantastic scripts to achieve the effects that I used.

• Like 3

I'm not happy (again) with this layout, but it is what it is! I haven't kept all the different techniques I used on each of the elements, pictures, font, papers; but, I did use different blend modes, and I began to take off when I changed the hue>saturation>lightness on the background paper (which was from a marisa lerin kit) and then played with the blend modes and opacity - which worked with what I was trying to do.  I played and played and played around with trying to figure out what to do with the elements in the lower left corner and ended up with a doily since it is round to balance the round paper in the top right corner.  Of course, you can see that I also played with the placement of the picture layers and placed the title at the top.

2024 Template 5_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 11

LESSON 7 - A classic scrapbook page, hoping to overcome some really lame photos clipped from a video. A little more involved than I usually do but I think it looks nice. All the elements and papers came from a kit called True Heart Digitals and the fonts are am-index and flora garden. The top cat is a mature female (I think) and the lower one is probably her nearly grown (possibly male) kitten. They seem to act as a bonded pair.  She hides under a neighbor's car when I come out on the porch whereas he is bolder and comes running, meowing at me for food. I now have a Cat Cabin on the porch with straw for bedding. I've included a promo photo of it here.

TEMPLATE WORKSHOP-LESSON 7-FERAL CATS_600.jpg

outdoor cat condo.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 4
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

LESSON 7 - A classic scrapbook page, hoping to overcome some really lame photos clipped from a video. A little more involved than I usually do but I think it looks nice. All the elements and papers came from a kit called True Heart Digitals and the fonts are am-index and flora garden. The top cat is a mature female (I think) and the lower one is probably her nearly grown (possibly male) kitten. They seem to act as a bonded pair.  She hides under a neighbor's car when I come out on the porch whereas he is bolder and comes running, meowing at me for food. I now have a Cat Cabin on the porch with straw for bedding. I've included a promo photo of it here.

TEMPLATE WORKSHOP-LESSON 7-FERAL CATS_600.jpg

outdoor cat condo.jpg

Ann, that is so wonderful that you are caring for these feral cats.  You might be the only love they know.  I like that house, is it from amazon?  I heard also to only use straw, as blankets can freeze.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Wow, love that element that you blended into the blue paper. It works.

I never thought to do that before.  I always forget to try things even if I think it's silly.  There was several blend modes that looked good too.  It was hard to pick the one I went with.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/21/2024 at 12:46 AM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Corrie, I am almost "really old"...79. Age is just a number to me. Some say your age is the number of years the world has been enjoying you. I did realize yesterday that others see me as really old. Two neighbor children came over to shovel my sidewalk and a neighbor who owns a tractor came to plow my driveway. While I can still do those things, it was a real blessing to have the help this time.

I am really enjoying this workshop. I have day 6 almost complete but all of you will have to wait until I return. I leave tomorrow for sunny, warm (hopefully) Florida for a pickleball clinic. It will be a nice change from our frigid and snow covered ground. I am flying this time so I will not take a computer. I'll have my tablet so I hope to be able to ch and that frieck in but will have no new layouts until I return on Thursday PM. 

Judy is so confused by this trip, she has been no help and at times a real hinderance. Any change to the "normal" routine throws her for a loop. We will not be taking any other trips for a long time. This trip was planned months ago and I did not realize how quickly Judy would decline. Thankfully, we are traveling with friends who really love Judy and will help where they can. Of course, they should not give up any of the activities they paid for. I am sure it will be a delightful time...and we plan lots of board games too! Everyone stay warm, keep creativing and I'll see you when I get back.

Bonnie my husband just turned 79 last week and yes he is getting "old" in his behavior and thinking and that frightens me! Of course he has been seriously ill but while it is better now he is stuck in the feeling that he can't do things anymore and won't undertake nothing, only a couple of things he knows well. I know that there is help available but he categorical refuses that! So I sympathize with you not being able to travel with Judy; it is so sad when you see a person you love slipping away from you. I hope this trip will turn out better then you fear and with the help from trusted friends you won't be totally on your own. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

is it from amazon?

Yes, daughter Laurey gave it to me for Christmas. It fits together with Velcro. There's a door in the back, too. The young guy uses it a lot, aside from liking to lounge on top in nicer weather. 😺

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 6

What a great video using the blend modes with the textured paper.  I used the paper (blue) from the kit as I new I wanted blue anyway. Blend mode used was Multiply.  the layer above I had a metal element (was a brass metal clock outer ring element) that I resized to the the blue paper fully then used the blend mode Dodge to make it look like it was part of the paper design (opacity of clock lowered to 38).  Ditto for the faint clock hands at 9 and 12, using a blend mode of Softlight and reduce opacity to 57.  Title has an inner bevel.  Paper doily I used HSL to make it a light ivory instead of stark white.  Tiny white clock I added an inner bevel as well.  I had a weird message about not being able to save.  I'm not super happy with the title fill but was having such issues saving that I just went with it in case catastrophe struck.

The deets:

Background paper: Riley B Graphics (Creative Fabrica)

Blue Paper and white clock face:  Janet Scott - elegant autumn mini kit (Digital Scrapbook) 

Bottom flowers/clock ring/clock hands/wings: (on blue paper):  Kerry Dempsy -KMRD Steampunk Elements (Digital Scrapbook)

Bee Wax Seal: Billie Irene Steampunk something or other kit (Digital Scrapbook)

Font: Samantha Upright (Creative Fabrica) - used glyphs on "S" "t" and "s" 

TempWS Day 6-Stages-600.jpg

Isn't it great those blendmodes!!! I use them so often and in psp 2023 it has become much easier to see the changes in real time!

• Like 4
  • Love 1