What are you working on (in January 2024)?

Cassel

On 1/21/2024 at 9:01 AM, Michele said:

It's been a while since I had time to create a new one. (They've been repeating themes from 2017 so I've been repeating my layouts with a few adjustments.) The background paper is a chevron from PS/DS by Sheila Reid to which I added a Gaussian blur. I used the Andrea Bilarosa font I got in a free font bundle from CF and the flourish is from my collection of scrapbooking "stuff." 🙂 As you probably already guessed, the illustration is by Hayden Williams. The best part, and the reason I wanted to share this, is Cassel's gimp trims picture tube. I used one to frame the illustration and the layout.

large.FABDLHollywoodGlamour!600.jpg.b287c05b9e947d30ef69d487c9fed7ef.jpg

Michele, I have always admired your choice of illustrations; this layout is lovely.

Gimmp Trims 1  - Gimp Trim 2 Picture Tubes really adds a touch of elegance to the page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

here I'll show you my further progress in my PSP training in the new German forum. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to publish my own training tasks elsewhere (at the moment sign tags) despite many credits on the picture (the artists who gave permission to the forum can only be shown edited in the forum), but my own frames around my own photos, which can I show where I want. With frames you can easily get into a routine with PSP. Unfortunately there is no filter. With filters I always have to save in .psd and then insert the filters into PI. I can't even insert the "Filter unlimited" into PSP because many filters are integrated.

DS-Wedding-Frame.jpg

Edited by Doska St.
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

On 1/21/2024 at 3:01 AM, Michele said:

It's been a while since I had time to create a new one. (They've been repeating themes from 2017 so I've been repeating my layouts with a few adjustments.) The background paper is a chevron from PS/DS by Sheila Reid to which I added a Gaussian blur. I used the Andrea Bilarosa font I got in a free font bundle from CF and the flourish is from my collection of scrapbooking "stuff." 🙂 As you probably already guessed, the illustration is by Hayden Williams. The best part, and the reason I wanted to share this, is Cassel's gimp trims picture tube. I used one to frame the illustration and the layout.

large.FABDLHollywoodGlamour!600.jpg.b287c05b9e947d30ef69d487c9fed7ef.jpg

Oh, those colours! Love 'em.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doska St. said:

Good morning,

here I'll show you my further progress in my PSP training in the new German forum. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to publish my own training tasks elsewhere (at the moment sign tags) despite many credits on the picture (the artists who gave permission to the forum can only be shown edited in the forum), but my own frames around my own photos, which can I show where I want. With frames you can easily get into a routine with PSP. Unfortunately there is no filter. With filters I always have to save in .psd and then insert the filters into PI. I can't even insert the "Filter unlimited" into PSP because many filters are integrated.

DS-Wedding-Frame.jpg

I love how you wound the ribbon through the Font.  What a stunning layout and that photo is outstanding!  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

That wonderful illustration is by Elsie Julia Miller. I don't love the finished product (ran out of creativity last night lol). But I wanted to share how to get a great background paper by using Cassel's Painted Background script. It takes colors from the original pic and, using one of five painting methods that you pick from, creates the paper for you. I think I used the Sponge option. The fonts I used are Varsity Team (from 1001 Fonts) and Brilliant Signature (from a CF bundle).

large.FABDLHighSchoolTennisThrowback!600.jpg.07f5b0050290469e461bf9f26390a191.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love how you wound the ribbon through the Font.  What a stunning layout and that photo is outstanding!  

Hi  Susan and all ,

I would like to say Thank you very much for the many hearts and likes among my few graphic works. I appreciate them and I'm really happy about them.

@Susan Ewart
yes, that was the wedding of one of our godchildren >10 years ago. I had a large, extensive photo book made for her and for us using my framed and scraped photos.
I love to "weave" embellis (often a lot of erasing work, but it doesn't take much effort for me if the result is consistent)

Catzia-Dankebärch_0121.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

14 hours ago, Michele said:

That wonderful illustration is by Elsie Julia Miller. I don't love the finished product (ran out of creativity last night lol). But I wanted to share how to get a great background paper by using Cassel's Painted Background script. It takes colors from the original pic and, using one of five painting methods that you pick from, creates the paper for you. I think I used the Sponge option. The fonts I used are Varsity Team (from 1001 Fonts) and Brilliant Signature (from a CF bundle).

large.FABDLHighSchoolTennisThrowback!600.jpg.07f5b0050290469e461bf9f26390a191.jpg

Wasn't aware of that script. I like the effect. And the colours and the way you've used them are really great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Michele said:

Thank you. Check out the script in the store and you'll see the flexibility it offers.
https://creationcassel.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_9&products_id=476

I just check it out and it's a cool script.  I'd also add to watch the video, it's very good.  Michele, does all those brushes shown in the video come with that script?  that alone is worth the price!

• Like 4

@Cassel I just want to say "Thank you!" for the 2024 Template Workshop.  It proved to be a wonderful refresher course since I took the 2022 Challenge.  I did learn some new things, used kits from other designers where I have been prone to use my own things lately (which isn't so bad I guess); that neat tool of using blend modes and opacity to produce new takes for backgrounds; also learned new things to think about from the other participants in this workshop.  Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

51 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Cassel I just want to say "Thank you!" for the 2024 Template Workshop.  It proved to be a wonderful refresher course since I took the 2022 Challenge.  I did learn some new things, used kits from other designers where I have been prone to use my own things lately (which isn't so bad I guess); that neat tool of using blend modes and opacity to produce new takes for backgrounds; also learned new things to think about from the other participants in this workshop.  Thanks again.

I am glad to see those workshops being enjoyed by the participants, even though they are repeated. I guess the next workshop will be an easy one for you! 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

This was one of the dingbats in today 2/26/24 free font on Creative Fabrica. "  House-Plants-29702631"   I used one of them  and put it on a wood background and did the cut out the way Cassel showed us how to do in the recent workshop.  I thought it turned out pretty so I am posting  it. 

dingbat cut out and saved .jpg

Edited by Anne Lamp
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I just check it out and it's a cool script.  I'd also add to watch the video, it's very good.  Michele, does all those brushes shown in the video come with that script?  that alone is worth the price!

Yes, it comes with 34 brushes!

• Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 1

I haven't made anything with it yet, I've had the script since yesterday and am experimenting, I think this is such a cool script!
me and Poncho, a photo of a horse that I took on one of our walks, and my daughter, years ago when she still worked as a tour guide

mclp_PencilSketch2_script_20230719_142143.jpg

mclp_PecilSketch2_script_DSC00835.jpg

mclp_PecilSketch2_script_IMG_7008.jpg

• Love 8

14 minutes ago, Anja Pelzer said:

I have also played with the pencil script

here are my photos

large.aachen-Hauptbahnhof-anja-01.jpg.67418528b52c88551820387fa3b96905.jpg

large.Hamburg-anja.jpg.15460fc7e0cdedb2dcc0af405ae3a736.jpg

large.Friedrichkoog-Hafen-anja.jpg.494dde403392d9d69589c656cd06beda.jpg

the last one I used also the watercolor script

large.watercolor-pencil-script-anja02.jpg.07cbbcee4285c4124b9ca52b83ff102f.jpg

Really nice, Anja! I especially like the one with a little touch of color. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 1/25/2024 at 3:45 AM, Michele said:

I think I need to be reminded why you do "Divas" as layouts. If I did know, I've forgotten. Hope you don't mind.

• Like 1

Today I did my monthly volunteer work for the county (but miles away) family history centre in the library. I was reminded of a day when a woman from Texas came here (to Ontario) looking for family info. It just so happens that I had written about her ancestor's hotel built in my home town in 1900 and I was able to show her what I had and to take her and her husband for a drive to show them what was left to see (the foundation outline only). That was back in July 2022, and we had a lot of fun with the materials she brought along which included some very old photos.

In the pic, I'm at left, she's in the middle, and another volunteer is right. Just a lot of elements and blending and playing going on.

2024 Jan what I'm working on.jpg

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 2
  • Love 8

9 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Today I did my monthly volunteer work for the county (but miles away) family history centre in the library. I was reminded of a day when a woman from Texas came here (to Ontario) looking for family info. It just so happens that I had written about her ancestor's hotel built in my home town in 1900 and I was able to show her what I had and to take her and her husband for a drive to show them what was left to see (the foundation outline only). That was back in July 2022, and we had a lot of fun with the materials she brought along which included some very old photos.

In the pic, I'm at left, she's in the middle, and another volunteer is right. Just a lot of elements and blending and playing going on.

When I was in College, I got into genealogy and there was a big library of compiled parish records of most of the Quebec province, and some outside. I had notebooks of notes to transcribe. We didn't have computers back then, to access all the information that is now easily available.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Cassel said:

When I was in College, I got into genealogy and there was a big library of compiled parish records of most of the Quebec province, and some outside. I had notebooks of notes to transcribe. We didn't have computers back then, to access all the information that is now easily available.

I started researching in the 90's before information was on the internet. But Cyndi's List was an essential resource since the lady that did it compiled all known places to go to find information in a website. I made trips to several larger libraries to research. I did start out with a lot of information because my grandmother had done research back in the 1950's... all by writing letters. She wanted to prove DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) but never got the definitive proof needed. Word of mouth does have the ancestry going back to a man who served in the war.

I actually started a project last summer of transcribing all the membership, baptism, marriage and death records for my church onto a spreadsheet. It's been on hold since October because of all my medical stuff going on. But when I'm done, I will give a copy to our local library's genealogy section (along with a copy to the church). I actually found out that my dad was baptized at the age of 25 and joined the church the same day!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I actually found out that my dad was baptized at the age of 25 and joined the church the same day!

Rene before my first husband and I could get married in 1960, he had to be baptized into my Lutheran Church as he had been raised Bible Baptist and they didn't do infant baptism. It had to wait until you were of age to make the commitment. He was 23 that year and I was only 19.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I think I need to be reminded why you do "Divas" as layouts. If I did know, I've forgotten. Hope you don't mind.

I don't mind at all. It's for my FB gaming group, CGL Fabulous Divas. The game is City Girl Life which is very similar to The Sims. It gives us a different theme every day so I make a Daily Look post. The game is dying down so after ten years or so, my group may be closing soon. On the upside, I'll have more time to devote to my scrapbooking lessons! BTW, I didn't name the group; I inherited it. 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

I would love to have my family tree done, but the records for Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe are close to impossible for me to find. I can only go back as far as my grandparents who came to the U.S. as children at the turn of the last century. Too bad I'm not a celebrity or Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr. could do the work for me on Finding My Roots! 🙂 One of these days, I'll invest some time and money to see if I can trace my roots.

• Like 5
  • Love 1