What are you working on in October (2023)?

Cassel

2 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I always wondered what it must be to be adopted. I mean: How my reaction would be? Knowing me, I'm never satisfied, I want to know more always. I'm able to tell many stories I came across during my search. Some of them are very sad. You'll be amazed at what you can still bring back after so many years. Sometimes I can't sleep about what I had learned that night. I've been a few times have been writing a book starring my ancestors. but reality doesn't make it a fun read. I don't think anyone will want to read it.?

I dont remember a time where I didnt know.  From my perspective I've always known and it's never bothered me.  Only one person in grade 5 told me my mother took "the easy way out" by not having natural children.  At the time I didnt know she was unable to have children. Otherwise, some people find it fascinating.  To me, it's just the way it's always been. There are 4 siblings in my family, all adopted.  My oldest brother and sister are actual brother and sister but 2 yrs apart (yes, there's a little story there).  In Saskatchewan (Canadian Province)my parents got a file of the whole story of their background and why they were put up for adoption.  My other brother and I (we are the two youngest, me the youngest of all, were born in British Columbia) and that province did not allow any details about our birth parents so my parents destroyed the the other siblings file.  However, we all have known the story most of our lives . They felt it was fair to us two younger ones.  I wish they had kept it.  I dont have any issues of not knowing where I came from because my parents (that raised me) are my parents and that was good enough for me.  All of us were adopted as very new babies.  

I have friends that do research into their acestors and find some shocking information from time to time.  At least it doesnt reflect on who you are today at this moment.  We get to decide that for ourselves...well, mostly we do, or maybe we dont and that could explain some things, hmmmm, something to add to the long list of things to think about.  

• Love 5

56 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I dont remember a time where I didnt know.  From my perspective I've always known and it's never bothered me.  Only one person in grade 5 told me my mother took "the easy way out" by not having natural children.  At the time I didnt know she was unable to have children. Otherwise, some people find it fascinating.  To me, it's just the way it's always been. There are 4 siblings in my family, all adopted.  My oldest brother and sister are actual brother and sister but 2 yrs apart (yes, there's a little story there).  In Saskatchewan (Canadian Province)my parents got a file of the whole story of their background and why they were put up for adoption.  My other brother and I (we are the two youngest, me the youngest of all, were born in British Columbia) and that province did not allow any details about our birth parents so my parents destroyed the the other siblings file.  However, we all have known the story most of our lives . They felt it was fair to us two younger ones.  I wish they had kept it.  I dont have any issues of not knowing where I came from because my parents (that raised me) are my parents and that was good enough for me.  All of us were adopted as very new babies.  

I have friends that do research into their acestors and find some shocking information from time to time.  At least it doesnt reflect on who you are today at this moment.  We get to decide that for ourselves...well, mostly we do, or maybe we dont and that could explain some things, hmmmm, something to add to the long list of things to think about.  

This is quite a story. This is a kind of 'backpack' you carry. Because you've been wearing it all your life, you don't notice it anymore. Do you mean by saying this "she was unable to have children" that she was mentally not able to take care of them and bring children up? There must be a reason for she couldn't. Your adoptive parents must love children in general very much. You are lucky with such parents. It seems to me that you have 4 siblings is a kind of comfort to you. You are right, you can change the facts. I wish you all the "peace of mind" there is. When you need someone I'm listening. Just email me. 

10 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

This is quite a story. This is a kind of 'backpack' you carry. Because you've been wearing it all your life, you don't notice it anymore. Do you mean by saying this "she was unable to have children" that she was mentally not able to take care of them and bring children up? There must be a reason for she couldn't. Your adoptive parents must love children in general very much. You are lucky with such parents. It seems to me that you have 4 siblings is a kind of comfort to you. You are right, you can change the facts. I wish you all the "peace of mind" there is. When you need someone I'm listening. Just email me. 

Oh sorry, I meant my adoptive mom couldnt have kids and so my parents adopted four of us in different years.  My (adoptive) mom had a blockage of a sort and was unable to conceive. I am the youngest, the next sibling is 2 yrs older, one at 7 yrs older and one at 9 yrs older.  Yes, we all feel like we won the parent jackpot.  I was only a couple days old when I was adopted as was other siblings too.  I have never had any issues over being adopted.  The question I get most is have I ever tried to find my birth parents.  I havent, it has never interested me.  I've told people they are welcome to look for me, but I dont seem to have an interest.  it doesnt bother me that I was adopted or given up (however you like to put it).  If I did chose to know anything it would be why the birth mother gave me up.  and that is only a mild (very mild) curiosity not a burning need to know.  On a side note if I use the word "mom or dad" I mean my adoptive parents as I have never thought of them any other way except "mom" and "dad".  the adopted part is just a detail that isnt that important to me.

• Love 5

21 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I always wondered what it must be to be adopted. I mean: How my reaction would be? Knowing me, I'm never satisfied, I want to know more always. I'm able to tell many stories I came across during my search. Some of them are very sad. You'll be amazed at what you can still bring back after so many years. Sometimes I can't sleep about what I had learned that night. I've been a few times have been writing a book starring my ancestors. but reality doesn't make it a fun read. I don't think anyone will want to read it.?

Oh Jannette, write your stories! Some day they will be a source of inspiration and delight to someone, even the sad stories. History of any kind has many sad stories, but they need to be told. How else will we ever know about "those days"? For years, I've done research into old stuff (for my own family and now for other purposes), and the stories I've been able to write keep that part of the past alive.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Oh sorry, I meant my adoptive mom couldnt have kids and so my parents adopted four of us in different years.  My (adoptive) mom had a blockage of a sort and was unable to conceive. I am the youngest, the next sibling is 2 yrs older, one at 7 yrs older and one at 9 yrs older.  Yes, we all feel like we won the parent jackpot.  I was only a couple days old when I was adopted as was other siblings too.  I have never had any issues over being adopted.  The question I get most is have I ever tried to find my birth parents.  I havent, it has never interested me.  I've told people they are welcome to look for me, but I dont seem to have an interest.  it doesnt bother me that I was adopted or given up (however you like to put it).  If I did chose to know anything it would be why the birth mother gave me up.  and that is only a mild (very mild) curiosity not a burning need to know.  On a side note if I use the word "mom or dad" I mean my adoptive parents as I have never thought of them any other way except "mom" and "dad".  the adopted part is just a detail that isnt that important to me.

I have a friend who is also adopted (and French Canadian), and she has never had any interest in digging into her bio roots. Different strokes....as they say. I would be like Jannette and digging so fast, but that's just me (and Jannette).

Edited by Julie Magerka

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

I have a friend who is also adopted (and French Canadian), and she has never had any interest in digging into her bio roots. Different strokes....as they say. I would be like Jannette and digging so fast, but that's just me (and Jannette).

Now that's a weird coincidence isn't it?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Oh Jannette, write your stories! Some day they will be a source of inspiration and delight to someone, even the sad stories. History of any kind has many sad stories, but they need to be told. How else will we ever know about "those days"? For years, I've done research into old stuff (for my own family and now for other purposes), and the stories I've been able to write keep that part of the past alive.

It is more difficult than it looks, Julie. I'll give an example. A child was born to one family, but another older child died on the same day.  No story. It must have been dramatic given their reaction. They moved to another part of the country soon afterward. I have no clues as to what happened. Was the mother in labor and did something happen to the other child? Or did the mother go into labor out of fright because something happened to the older baby? To secure stone you need cement, for a story, you also need some "cement".  Sometimes it's okay to use your imagination, but in this case I don't think it's appropriate. That's why I got stuck at this point. These are just the facts. And facts alone are not interesting. But I feel very much sorry for this family. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

It is more difficult than it looks, Julie. I'll give an example. A child was born to one family, but another older child died on the same day.  No story. It must have been dramatic given their reaction. They moved to another part of the country soon afterward. I have no clues as to what happened. Was the mother in labor and did something happen to the other child? Or did the mother go into labor out of fright because something happened to the older baby? To secure stone you need cement, for a story, you also need some "cement".  Sometimes it's okay to use your imagination, but in this case I don't think it's appropriate. That's why I got stuck at this point. These are just the facts. And facts alone are not interesting. But I feel very much sorry for this family. 

It is surprising how some folks act during times of deep sadness.  When mom was in the hospital, she shared a room with a woman she knew in passing at stores etc.  They both delivered their babies within a minute or two of each other. Robert was the lady's son and I Dorothy arrived on the scene.  So, Robert and I in time passing shared the same school's name but in different states.  Roberts family soon bought a beach cottage a half block from ours.  We shared a 13th birthday party as Robert and I had become good playmates and were good friends.  That winter Robert fell off the back of his dad's truck, hit his head and was pronounced dead.  We attended his funeral.  Two weeks later they sold their business, house and beach cottage and just left.  Her husband later wrote my Mom . "She could not bear to see me still alive and her son gone".

• Sad 5

GRANDDAUGHTER ANNA & HUSBAND, TJ, VISIT HIS FAMILY IN SOUTH KOREA - SEPT 2023 - Anna and Tj live in San Jose, California. She is the daughter of my daughter, Debbie, and aunt to baby Magic and Raja. Anna is a Speech Language Pathologist and Tj is a Senior Software Engineer for Meta. They've been married for 6 years and have 2 cats. All papers and embellishments are from Marisa Lerin "Korea" kit except for flag and map from Google search. Scraplift: Travel Challenge Day 8 by Mary Solaas (mostly for paper layer design). cass-date stamp 13-softlight layer effect +reverse shadow. Font = Agency. This is a departure for me. I usually prefer cleaner, less fussy pages, but this just worked this way, I guess. Maybe it's the Korean influence. ?

anna and tj visit Korea SEPT 2023-double_1200.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Jannette, you did a lovely job.  Do you have anything in mind to use it in a project?  I suppose you'll have to do  the whole alphabet.  Also time consuming.

No, Sue, I have nothing in mind. It was just a try. I had it in my mind from yesterday so I wanted to give it a try. I tried 2 the letter and the bevel. I think that the precision cursor will do this job better than the normal one. Although I did my very best to grab the points I was "miles" from them so here and there, I was happy that I could remove the segments a bit to give it a better look.  I don't know if I am right. But when I put my left ear on my left shoulder my figure changes. That doesn't happen to the left. ?‍♂️  Might be up to my eyes? 

23 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

There was a large event in Washington, DC last week and not a bit political...Pickeball on the Mall. Fun day. I volunteered as I am an Ambassador...doesn't mean much...it is a volunteer position.

Template by Tinci...a monthly freebie in her FB group.

2023 9 30 Pickleball On The Mall Tinci_CEAF_104 600.jpg

Nice touch Bonnie, with Mr Marker on that bat!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I like this one way better!

You know,  I had my doubts about using the font, before I started the page.  Putting off doing the heading until last.  I'm sure I'm not the only one  that, when having doubts, or  not overall happy with something,  it reflects in ones work, as this one did in my page.   Thank you, I have to agree with you.  I much prefer this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I changed the  font for the main text Heading. As I didn't like the font used for the font challenge.  Although it isn't  Halloween themed, it is  a very seasonal, appropriate page, for this time of year. 

Autumn leaves (2).jpg

I love what you did with the word "leaves", the 'L' and 'E' look like gusts of wind swirly the leaves around.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I changed the  font for the main text Heading. As I didn't like the font used for the font challenge.  Although it isn't  Halloween themed, it is  a very seasonal, appropriate page, for this time of year. 

Autumn leaves (2).jpg

quote, I changed the  font for the main text Heading. As I didn't like the font used for the font challenge.  Although it isn't  Halloween themed, it is  a very seasonal, appropriate page, for this time of year. 

We must make choices in this hobby as well as in our daily lives. Subject, A theme, Colors, Arrangement. My first choice is always the subject, the most difficult one. Sometimes I use at the same time two windows beside each other and make them different.  In all these years I collected thousands and thousands of scrapkits and single pngs. I've all the mushrooms in one file. Leaves in another etc. etc. And on top I've made color files. Then I open the organizer and make a choice. That's my way of working. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love what you did with the word "leaves", the 'L' and 'E' look like gusts of wind swirly the leaves around.  

Well Susan!  You saw what I was trying to achieve. Movement! I watch the leaves on the  trees and on the ground, as  the wind blows them in all directions, until they  settle in their final resting places.  Like myself,  you do more than merely look  at a page, you  interpret what it's  trying to  saying. 

• Like 3