What are you working on in October (2023)?

Cassel

We recently had some chats going on about good programs to watch, many of them on PBS (Canada & US). After watching this two-part documentary by Ken Burns I had to make something to express how profoundly moved I was by this series. He has been making documentaries for 40 years, and his productions are all extraordinary, whether they are light-hearted or heart-breaking. This one had me in tears. He uses the bison as a theme for the near-genocide of a species, and then ties it nicely into the way indigenous people have been treated. It's a hard watch, but so worthwhile.

Amer Buffalo layout_700.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 5

11 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

We recently had some chats going on about good programs to watch, many of them on PBS (Canada & US). After watching this two-part documentary by Ken Burns I had to make something to express how profoundly moved I was by this series. He has been making documentaries for 40 years, and his productions are all extraordinary, whether they are light-hearted or heart-breaking. This one had me in tears. He uses the bison as a theme for the near-genocide of a species, and then ties it nicely into the way indigenous people have been treated. It's a hard watch, but so worthwhile.

Amer Buffalo layout_700.jpg

I will look for this one.  In AB we have Elk Island Nat. Park where conservation of Plains Bison is going on.  They have sent bison all over the world to help repopulate areas they used to be in.  A big part of them establishing in areas is natural vegetation which is hugely stripped where any farming has/is going on.  It's a fine line, I have farmers in my family and my niece's sister-in-law works at Elk Island with the bison conservation efforts.  We need to find a balance for everything on the earth to thrive dont we?  I'm sure I will shed tears watching this one.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

This is one I did and then left sitting. No photo, just the words. I need to be reminded to let some things go.

Oct project out of hands_600.jpg

I love the style of your layouts.  I download/buy these types of papers/element then cant seem to use them.  You've seen my style, it's pretty static.  

1 minute ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love the style of your layouts.  I download/buy these types of papers/element then cant seem to use them.  You've seen my style, it's pretty static.  

That's the thing about styles. They're our own, as we find our way. Yours is always dynamic, not static. But, it's interesting how, over time, I've started to recognize other people's layouts even before I see the name.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I will look for this one.  In AB we have Elk Island Nat. Park where conservation of Plains Bison is going on.  They have sent bison all over the world to help repopulate areas they used to be in.  A big part of them establishing in areas is natural vegetation which is hugely stripped where any farming has/is going on.  It's a fine line, I have farmers in my family and my niece's sister-in-law works at Elk Island with the bison conservation efforts.  We need to find a balance for everything on the earth to thrive dont we?  I'm sure I will shed tears watching this one.  

I actually was up close to some bison years ago on a trip to AB & BC. They are almost scary in their size and nobility. And their eyes....!

• WOW 1

15 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I actually was up close to some bison years ago on a trip to AB & BC. They are almost scary in their size and nobility. And their eyes....!

wow, what an experiece for you.  We were at Elk Island Nat. Park, (it's close to us, 30-40 min) and we drove in and there was one right there beside our truck (glad we were in the truck and not the car), it's just as you say "almost scary in their size".   It's amazing how fast they can move too.  They do seem to have an air of nobility dont they.  Truly magnificent.  Well, I think any nature experience is magnificent.  A squirrel running along the fence, the LBJs in the bird bath or dirt bathing.  It's fascinating to watch and makes you happy.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

wow, what an experiece for you.  We were at Elk Island Nat. Park, (it's close to us, 30-40 min) and we drove in and there was one right there beside our truck (glad we were in the truck and not the car), it's just as you say "almost scary in their size".   It's amazing how fast they can move too.  They do seem to have an air of nobility dont they.  Truly magnificent.  Well, I think any nature experience is magnificent.  A squirrel running along the fence, the LBJs in the bird bath or dirt bathing.  It's fascinating to watch and makes you happy.  

They apparently can move at 35 mph! I wouldn't stand a chance in that race!

• WOW 2

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to  ride the Grasslands National Park, East block and  the West block, which extends into the US.  I've seen the  Prairie Dogs, burrowing Owls, and  of course the Native Bison, which are free to roam, without human intervention.  Here is a shot I  took back in  2016.  The North American settlers, committed  immoral atrocities of genocide on a mammoth scale of the  Native Indians, and it's  wildlife.  This Bison is allowed to be free, and roam the vast grasslands, as Bison do instinctively  migrate.  They were introduced on  1999. Look closely at it's eye, it's free and wild.  Now look at the  next photo.  Their eyes are dull, oppressed.  I pass this large herd  once a week, (raised for commercial use) to go shopping, they are confined,  handled by humans, they graze on stubble, and hay.  

grasslands park 2017.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

16 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

They apparently can move at 35 mph! I wouldn't stand a chance in that race!

They are very fast, considering their huge body mass.  Also, they don't tire when running vast distances, to overcome this they extend their tongues out, enabling  a much greater lung capacity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Photo taken this July.

Buffalo cows and calves 12 July (5)-sharpen-Standard.jpg

I'm shocked that I can see that difference.  How sad this is.  I wonder how "tanked" on drugs these ones are.  It reminds me of wild fish and farming them, prisoners in their own habitat which isnt natural (to be confined)  at all.  It seems like when we take wild animals and farm them, they require more drugs to keep them "natural".  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to  ride the Grasslands National Park, East block and  the West block, which extends into the US.  I've seen the  Prairie Dogs, burrowing Owls, and  of course the Native Bison, which are free to roam, without human intervention.  Here is a shot I  took back in  2016.  The North American settlers, committed  immoral atrocities of genocide on a mammoth scale of the  Native Indians, and it's  wildlife.  This Bison is allowed to be free, and roam the vast grasslands, as Bison do instinctively  migrate.  They were introduced on  1999. Look closely at it's eye, it's free and wild.  Now look at the  next photo.  Their eyes are dull, oppressed.  I pass this large herd  once a week, (raised for commercial use) to go shopping, they are confined,  handled by humans, they graze on stubble, and hay.  

grasslands park 2017.jpg

What an experience this must've been.  What do the horses think of them?  And the cows (were you hearding cows)?  

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'm shocked that I can see that difference.  How sad this is.  I wonder how "tanked" on drugs these ones are.  It reminds me of wild fish and farming them, prisoners in their own habitat which isnt natural (to be confined)  at all.  It seems like when we take wild animals and farm them, they require more drugs to keep them "natural".  

The eyes can reveal so much.  I can read  horses through  their eyes, and overall disposition. Which applies to most animals.  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

What an experience this must've been.  What do the horses think of them?  And the cows (were you hearding cows)?  

When we first  moved here, word soon got around  that I  was a  compitent horse woman. Although the disciplines I  was used to was very different to western riding.  Basic horsemanship is the same where ever you go. I was soon back in the saddle, trailing cows across  the open prairies for local big ranches. Days at a time. Schooling and fetching on their young horses. Brandings. I've  vaccinated, and ear tagged thousands  of cows and calves. I do have reservations about branding though. Being a farmer's  daughter, animal husbandry wasn't  new to me.   My girls  and I  still gather and  trail cows out to their summer pastures, and fetch them home for the winter.  The horses  looked at the Buffalo  but weren't  put off by them.  

• WOW 1
  • Love 4

17 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

When we first  moved here, word soon got around  that I  was a  compitent horse woman. Although the disciplines I  was used to was very different to western riding.  Basic horsemanship is the same where ever you go. I was soon back in the saddle, trailing cows across  the open prairies for local big ranches. Days at a time. Schooling and fetching on their young horses. Brandings. I've  vaccinated, and ear tagged thousands  of cows and calves. I do have reservations about branding though. Being a farmer's  daughter, animal husbandry wasn't  new to me.   My girls  and I  still gather and  trail cows out to their summer pastures, and fetch them home for the winter.  The horses  looked at the Buffalo  but weren't  put off by them.  

You really are home, home on the range! Sure is exciting to hear what it's like.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thank you Julie.  Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think of leaving my homeland, and the life I had. Although my heart is still in Wales,  I have adapted well here.   If it wasn't for the  local ranches that introduced me to their way of life, which revolves around horses, and cattle.  I wouldn't still be here. Within my first 6 months here, I had the pick of any horse that I had schooled.   The rest is history.   Here are 2 photos, which I took trailing cows home for the winter. There is always a lead cow, that has made the trip several time prior.  They move well, especially when they are strung out, with the wind in the faces, to keep them cool.  Making the riders job easy,  just along for the ride.  I rode to the top of a hill, to take the first shot, looking down on the cows, and the vast expanse of the landscape. Once they had a drink, I  rode on in front to open the gate. (one of my all time favourite landscape shots)  As seen through Meg's ears, and I added Nell.  Extracted her head, overlay.

Fetching Karl's cows home. 2022.jpg

Cows coming home  October 2021.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 6

10 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thank you Julie.  Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think of leaving my homeland, and the life I had. Although my heart is still in Wales,  I have adapted well here.   If it wasn't for the  local ranches that introduced me to their way of life, which revolves around horses, and cattle.  I wouldn't still be here. Within my first 6 months here, I had the pick of any horse that I had schooled.   The rest is history.   Here are 2 photos, which I took trailing cows home for the winter. There is always a lead cow, that has made the trip several time prior.  They move well, especially when they are strung out, with the wind in the faces, to keep them cool.  Making the riders job easy,  just along for the ride.  I rode to the top of a hill, to take the first shot, looking down on the cows, and the vast expanse of the landscape. Once they had a drink, I  rode on in front to open the gate. (one of my all time favourite landscape shots)  As seen through Meg's ears, and I added Nell.  Extracted her head, overlay.

Fetching Karl's cows home. 2022.jpg

Cows coming home  October 2021.jpg

Awesome to see those vast almost empty stretches of grassland with that herd. I can see why you love it so much and it is great to get a glimpse of it through your photos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1