What are you working on in October (2023)?

Cassel

24 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Can anyone remember the  short tutorial Carole did on creating a cut out, similar to what I did in this page.  I'm unable to find it, I think it may have been a zoon tutorial.  It isn't in the shadow box masterclass.  I've done a few of them, using 2 different techniques.  I would like to refresh my memory on how Carole did it.  Please send me a link, if you know where it is. 

Easter egg cut out Nuttall's.jpg

That must have been before my diamond membership. So I can't help you out. 

52 minutes ago, Donna Sillia said:

I have just purchased a membership for Creative Fabrica instead of Adobe Express. Does anyone have experience with Creative Fabrica and their CF Spark?

Donna, I have experience, but they have expanded the Spark offerings so much, I really have experience in two things- Patterns is the big one, but also transparent images. I think Mary is your better bet but I am happy to help if it's something related to plain old patterns or the website in general.

One thing I would like to say is that sometime in the summer, before Spark, both Susan and I got a HUGE deal on a one-year membership - was it $4.95 a month for a year, payable all at once, Susan? THEN after purchasing that, they offered a second year for $3.95 a month, payable all at once for the whole year. I worry that they will start charging for Spark separately now that's gotten so big.

I think you'll like Creative Fabrica. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Donna, I have experience, but they have expanded the Spark offerings so much, I really have experience in two things- Patterns is the big one, but also transparent images. I think Mary is your better bet but I am happy to help if it's something related to plain old patterns or the website in general.

One thing I would like to say is that sometime in the summer, before Spark, both Susan and I got a HUGE deal on a one-year membership - was it $4.95 a month for a year, payable all at once, Susan? THEN after purchasing that, they offered a second year for $3.95 a month, payable all at once for the whole year. I worry that they will start charging for Spark separately now that's gotten so big.

I think you'll like Creative Fabrica. 

It was something like that Suzy.  I got a killer deal on the one time purchase for the year, and then they offered a second year even cheaper.  It was in November because it's all free for me until November 2024.  

6 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

It was something like that Suzy.  I got a killer deal on the one time purchase for the year, and then they offered a second year even cheaper.  It was in November because it's all free for me until November 2024.  

November - Summer - how time flies! ?

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

I have just purchased a membership for Creative Fabrica instead of Adobe Express. Does anyone have experience with Creative Fabrica and their CF Spark?

I did too.  CF Spark is ok and I have used it several times with good results.  Also have been able to download fonts and graphics which are not the freebies.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Yesterday was a beautiful day so I was out taking some photos.  I got lucky and one of the farmers was out harvesting his soy beans.  The two field photos are from the ones I took then.  The other pics are "borrowed" from online shopping sights (I know, shame on me)   The background paper was created from two papers I downloaded from Creative Fabrica.

Soybean Harvest time.  6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

13 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

Yesterday was a beautiful day so I was out taking some photos.  I got lucky and one of the farmers was out harvesting his soy beans.  The two field photos are from the ones I took then.  The other pics are "borrowed" from online shopping sights (I know, shame on me)   The background paper was created from two papers I downloaded from Creative Fabrica.

Soybean Harvest time.  6.jpg

Love that background paper.  I drink Silk, but the oatmilk version.  And the coconut, used to drink the almond until they changed it and now it's gross.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I've found it. Great technique

I'm pleased you have found it.  For anyone else wanting to  know how to create the effect, scroll through to 38 minutes and 30 seconds.  Carole demonstrates the technique after creating a shadow box.    What threw me was that I was looking at  the  list of contents of the Q&As.  As the shadow box wasn't  mentioned.  So I scrolled through the months where I thought it would be, and found  what I was looking for. 

Actually Jannette I use  2 slightly different techniques, with the same result.  I use vectors, as  the edges are ever so much  sharper and cleaner. I create each layer, with the colours I'm going to use. ( from vector shape) Creating  the shadows after each layer. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

OK.  I worked with that multi layer described in February 2023 Q&A.  this is what I came up with.  I know it is fall, but this is summer.

Trial MultiLayerFrame.jpg

Very nice, Mary! Your colors are gorgeous. The only thing that looks a little odd, to me, is the photo is tilted to the right and the flowers end up growing sideways a bit. I'm not sure if that's what you intended...

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

OK.  I worked with that multi layer described in February 2023 Q&A.  this is what I came up with.  I know it is fall, but this is summer.

Carole has so many wonderful techniques, remembering them all, and where they are can be a challenge in its self.  I have started to use this technique to create some Christmas decorations. Using winter scenes.  You matched the colours well. Looks like your flower bed  is on a bank sheltered  by a hedge.  With the flowers facing towards the sun.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Carole has so many wonderful techniques, remembering them all, and where they are can be a challenge in its self.  I have started to use this technique to create some Christmas decorations. Using winter scenes.  You matched the colours well. Looks like your flower bed  is on a bank sheltered  by a hedge.  With the flowers facing towards the sun.

10 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Actually, that was the case.  I had to go back to look where I took that from and that was the case.  I was standing at the bottom of a slope and the hedge was at the top of the slope and the flowers were just under it.  I know that your winter scene will be beautiful.  Love your pictures of the Hudson Valley.  The colors are so vivid.  It is beautiful country.  In fact the whole of New York state is beautiful.  I only saw the upper region of it, but I loved the views.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Fabulous colors.  

7 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Very nice, Mary! Your colors are gorgeous. The only thing that looks a little odd, to me, is the photo is tilted to the right and the flowers end up growing sideways a bit. I'm not sure if that's what you intended...

Looks like they are on a little mound or hill.  This is how a lot of the flowers were at this Garden place I used to go to as it was quite hilly there.  the flowers had to lean forward to reach for the sun as there was also a lot of huge evergreen trees.  My sunflowers did this too.  Inexperienced as i am, I put them too close to the garage wall and they had to grow at an angle to get to the sun by having to go around the eavestrough.  But then, they were mutants topping out a near 10' when they were supposed to be 6-6.5 feet tall.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Fabulous colors.  

Looks like they are on a little mound or hill.  This is how a lot of the flowers were at this Garden place I used to go to as it was quite hilly there.  the flowers had to lean forward to reach for the sun as there was also a lot of huge evergreen trees.  My sunflowers did this too.  Inexperienced as i am, I put them too close to the garage wall and they had to grow at an angle to get to the sun by having to go around the eavestrough.  But then, they were mutants topping out a near 10' when they were supposed to be 6-6.5 feet tall.

Susan, inexperienced or not, it is quite a common mistake.  Especially when planting trees.  Many people forget or do not take into account that a  6inch sapling  will grow to possibly to 100ft tall, and spread branches.  Same goes for flowers. It is amazing how plants will adapt to their location, twisting, turning, stretching to reach for the sun.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Actually, that was the case.  I had to go back to look where I took that from and that was the case.  I was standing at the bottom of a slope and the hedge was at the top of the slope and the flowers were just under it.  I know that your winter scene will be beautiful.  Love your pictures of the Hudson Valley.  The colors are so vivid.  It is beautiful country.  In fact the whole of New York state is beautiful.  I only saw the upper region of it, but I loved the views.

Thank you, Mary. Now I get it! And you're right, the Hudson Valley is well known for its colorful fall views. 

48 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Susan, inexperienced or not, it is quite a common mistake.  Especially when planting trees.  Many people forget or do not take into account that a  6inch sapling  will grow to possibly to 100ft tall, and spread branches.  Same goes for flowers. It is amazing how plants will adapt to their location, twisting, turning, stretching to reach for the sun.  

And many people just let things grow and never tend to them. I've had some plants put in by a company that did landscaping work for me. There is a lovely yellowish plant they put in a few years ago that I fell in love with and had them put a couple more in after taking out the hydrangea that ended up being too much for the area. My neighbor does pruning for me and has kept the original gold mop cypress to a nice height.  I asked the landscaper this summer what plant a different neighbor across the street has as it looks a lot like the gold mop cypress. It goes to the roofline and pretty much hides the windows. Turns out it is the same thing I have... gold mop cypress. They have never pruned/trimmed it in all the years they have had it nor have they done anything with the shrubs by the house. The only thing that gets trimmed is a shrub that is by the stop sign and road sign in their yard. And all that gets done is cutting the weed that grows up the middle of it to the same height as the shrub. 

I wish I was able to do yard work but unfortunately I can't. With arthritic knees and allergies, it just doesn't happen. Thankfully I have a neighbor that is willing to do it. I pay him for it just as I pay him to mow the grass and collect the leaves in the fall.

• Like 4