What are you working on in October (2023)?

Cassel

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Awesome to see those vast almost empty stretches of grassland with that herd. I can see why you love it so much and it is great to get a glimpse of it through your photos.

Even after all these year, the vastness still never ceases to overwhelm me. From someone who's homeland is  small Island.  You can put 3 UK's in Saskatchewan alone. A population of over 70 million.  Saskatchewan has a population of just 1 million.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Even after all these year, the vastness still never ceases to overwhelm me. From someone who's homeland is  small Island.  You can put 3 UK's in Saskatchewan alone. A population of over 70 million.  Saskatchewan has a population of just 1 million.

Goodness... that is a radical change. We moved from the suburbs to the countryside but didn't experience such vastness as you have. Maybe your insect and small animal focus for your macro lens is your antidote. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

I found myself imagining you riding up the hill to take that picture.   This would be a site to see, all cattle in line like that.  One thing great about all prairies is the sky is as vast as the landscape.  And when there is clouds in the blue sky it's awesome to lay on your back and watch the clouds.  My parents had roots in farming but rounding up the "crops" didnt require horses, just mechanical horsepower (combine).  I much prefer the sounds of nature and the cows/horses as they move through the grass.  I dont like noise.

Sue, did you ever work with herding dogs? (here or back home?). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Goodness... that is a radical change. We moved from the suburbs to the countryside but didn't experience such vastness as you have. Maybe your insect and small animal focus for your macro lens is your antidote. ?

Quite possibly.  I can say in all honesty, that there aren't any comparisons what so ever  between the UK and  Canada, more specifically,  the prairie provinces.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I found myself imagining you riding up the hill to take that picture.   This would be a site to see, all cattle in line like that.  One thing great about all prairies is the sky is as vast as the landscape.  And when there is clouds in the blue sky it's awesome to lay on your back and watch the clouds.  My parents had roots in farming but rounding up the "crops" didnt require horses, just mechanical horsepower (combine).  I much prefer the sounds of nature and the cows/horses as they move through the grass.  I dont like noise.

Sue, did you ever work with herding dogs? (here or back home?). 

It certainly is a sight to be hold and cherish.  As the years have gone by fewer and fewer ranchers trail their cows out and then back home.  They  now get trucked.  Horses are also being replaced by quads to gather and trail cows.    The sky is equally as awesome,  you have to experience it to really appreciate it.   I spend a lot of time  on my  back, looking up, day and night.

At home the Border Collie is the favoured dog  for working, more specifically sheep.  As the Border Collie will gather to fetch them to you, which they do instinctively.   I used to train our borders for sheep dog trails.   Only  for local shows, not on a professional scale.  We brought  our Border Colie  bitch out with us.  The dog of choice out here for working cattle is the Australian Kelpie.  They will trail cows, also they are more aggressive, which is what you need sometimes.  Not around cows with their calves though, as  you are asking for  trouble in that scenario.  As the cows will turn to defend their calves.  In my opinion not a good combination.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

At home the Border Collie is the favoured dog  for working, more specifically sheep.  As the Border Collie will gather to fetch them to you, which they do instinctively.   I used to train our borders for sheep dog trails.   Only  for local shows, not on a professional scale.  We brought  our Border Colie  bitch out with us.  The dog of choice out here for working cattle is the Australian Kelpie.  They will trail cows, also they are more aggressive, which is what you need sometimes.  Not around cows with their calves though, as  you are asking for  trouble in that scenario.  As the cows will turn to defend their calves.  In my opinion not a good combination.

When I was young, I played cowboys in my small town in Ontario, and wanted to be one when I grew up. Didn't happen. But I love hearing stories like yours that are so very different from the life I've lived in cities. I grew up surrounded by farms and livestock and crops. Then moved away to big cities. A dozen years ago I moved back to near where I grew up and it's all farms again, but not much livestock in this area. I love the more natural landscape now and shudder when I think back to city living.

19 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

This is NOT a political statement. It is a heartfelt (simplistic?) desire for peace...wherever there is open conflict.

I kept thinking of the song and made a layout to clear it out of my head. The message in 1969 is one we can still use today.

give peace a chance_600.jpg

My sentiments too!   The US  government is already loosing it's political footing on the world stage, along with many other Western governments. (so called empires)  When they fall, and they will fall,  in time stability and peace will be regained.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

When I was young, I played cowboys in my small town in Ontario, and wanted to be one when I grew up. Didn't happen. But I love hearing stories like yours that are so very different from the life I've lived in cities. I grew up surrounded by farms and livestock and crops. Then moved away to big cities. A dozen years ago I moved back to near where I grew up and it's all farms again, but not much livestock in this area. I love the more natural landscape now and shudder when I think back to city living.

I haven't got a clue what it is like to live in a city, or any built up area. All I know is that I couldn't live  in any urban area. I regard myself as being very lucky, that I was  born into farming, married a farmer, and finally ended up here on a  prairie farm.  Both my children were born into farming, and still live in rural areas.  My granddaughters were born into farming too.  It's a wonderful lifestyle.  It  doesn't suit everyone though, thankfully we are all different.   

• Like 1
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

The US  government is already loosing it's political footing on the world stage,

Sue, if you would kindly refrain from political opinion statements in these rooms. Julie nicely just asked for peace, which many can agree on. It hurts my heart to see my country being bashed. It may not be perfect but, by gum, we're trying....😥

• Thanks 3
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Go to this link, Barbara, and then bookmark it for future use.

Thank you so much Ann. You or someone else must have mentioned this before, I did do this  but then forgot about it ! Thank you for the reminder!! I now have a "post it note" to remind me. So much to learn and remember but so enjoying this workshop and all the help is amazing.

At the moment I have 16 tabs for the site open it is no wonder I get lost !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I haven't got a clue what it is like to live in a city, or any built up area. All I know is that I couldn't live  in any urban area. I regard myself as being very lucky, that I was  born into farming, married a farmer, and finally ended up here on a  prairie farm.  Both my children were born into farming, and still live in rural areas.  My granddaughters were born into farming too.  It's a wonderful lifestyle.  It  doesn't suit everyone though, thankfully we are all different.   

I grew up in Brooklyn, went to school in a small college town upstate, and then lived in Rochester, NY for a while. I moved back downstate to Long Island to be near my family. While the convenience in the city or the suburbs is great, I've often longed to live a quiet life on a farm. At the very least I could see the sky without all the bright lights hiding it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Michele said:

I grew up in Brooklyn, went to school in a small college town upstate, and then lived in Rochester, NY for a while. I moved back downstate to Long Island to be near my family. While the convenience in the city or the suburbs is great, I've often longed to live a quiet life on a farm. At the very least I could see the sky without all the bright lights hiding it.

Although the bright lights of the city skyline  is a beautiful sight.  It does hide the beauty of the  sky.  Unfortunately, noise and light pollution goes hand in hand with  city living.  Without any exaggeration,  I  listen in awe to the silence, especially on  days when there isn't a breath of wind or a bird sing. Do you have any parks close by, which enables you to escape the city to get back to nature?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Although the bright lights of the city skyline  is a beautiful sight.  It does hide the beauty of the  sky.  Unfortunately, noise and light pollution goes hand in hand with  city living.  Without any exaggeration,  I  listen in awe to the silence, especially on  days when there isn't a breath of wind or a bird sing. Do you have any parks close by, which enables you to escape the city to get back to nature?

Dont you find it erie (sp?) when you dont hear the birds singing.  When it's dead silent.  It's neat but kind of apocalyptic feeling.  During Covid when we had lock downs, my job continued and I'd drive to work and there would be no other cars at all some days and some of those days the birds too, were silent and  it felt like some kind of post-apocalyptic world.  I work at a noisy place so I do love when the world is silent....except nature, I like to hear leaves rustling, raindrops landing on a tin roof, birds etc.  Yesterday some geese flew over...I heard them honking and went outside to see.  As they past over my house they stopped honking and I could hear their wings, magical..  I miss that so much.  My house in Chilliwack, BC was right on the flight path to the park the geese came to every day (a 10 min walk from the house).     

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Michele said:

You must have crows in the city!  They are the best. Corvids are so much fun to watch.  If you want an appreciation for your neighbourhood city crows just sign up for June Hunters Urban Nature Enthusiast blog.  June lives in Vancouver, BC (Canada), right in the city and she will show you an appreciation for city nature that you didnt know what unfolding in front of you.  I do know what you mean about the night sky.  I live in this city for 3 years about 40+ years ago.  And we could see the northern lights and tons of stars.  Now I see only the very brightest few stars and would need to go pretty far out of the city to get a starry night sky.  Sue is very lucky to have crisp beautiful skies as they are meant to be.  I loved living on the farms (horses) that I did live on, even if it was close to the city.  Where I live it's noisy, I hear the traffic 24/7.  Winter is the worst as the city does it's snow clearning all night long.  This is a small city and i hear snowplows scraping the roads and back up beeps.  Not conducive to a good nights sleep.  I'll join you and Sue in a quiet life of the farm.....or we just go visit Sue for a week or 2 or forever.  😋 How good are you at pitching a tent?  I suck at it.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

You must have crows in the city!  They are the best. Corvids are so much fun to watch.  If you want an appreciation for your neighbourhood city crows just sign up for June Hunters Urban Nature Enthusiast blog.  June lives in Vancouver, BC (Canada), right in the city and she will show you an appreciation for city nature that you didnt know what unfolding in front of you.  I do know what you mean about the night sky.  I live in this city for 3 years about 40+ years ago.  And we could see the northern lights and tons of stars.  Now I see only the very brightest few stars and would need to go pretty far out of the city to get a starry night sky.  Sue is very lucky to have crisp beautiful skies as they are meant to be.  I loved living on the farms (horses) that I did live on, even if it was close to the city.  Where I live it's noisy, I hear the traffic 24/7.  Winter is the worst as the city does it's snow clearning all night long.  This is a small city and i hear snowplows scraping the roads and back up beeps.  Not conducive to a good nights sleep.  I'll join you and Sue in a quiet life of the farm.....or we just go visit Sue for a week or 2 or forever.  😋 How good are you at pitching a tent?  I suck at it.

Not really, as  the majority of the song birds fly south. When it does go silent when they are here, it means that a predator is at  large. The nights  are always noisy, between the Great Horned Owls,   coyotes howling, and foxes barking, they make their presence known. Their sounds travel well in the night air.  Susan you are only  an hour and  half flight away from me. Or a 6hr drive.  You and anyone else will be made most welcome at anytime. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Not really, as  the majority of the song birds fly south. When it does go silent when they are here, it means that a predator is at  large. The nights  are always noisy, between the Great Horned Owls,   coyotes howling, and foxes barking, they make their presence known. Their sounds travel well in the night air.  Susan you are only  an hour and  half flight away from me. Or a 6hr drive.  You and anyone else will be made most welcome at anytime. 

Oh wow, that is so kind of you to open up your home to us.  It's been years since I heard an owl.  And never have I heard a Gret Horned Owl.  It's official, we were just finishing up with outside and me preening about making sure the birds have perches near the new winter dust bathing area and just some perches (dead branches) in the garden area because it doesnt get as much snow up against the wall.  There are a number of birds (and squirrels) that cling to the 60's glass/rock walls that were so popular back then (I find them rather lethal and unforgiving when you scrape yourself on them).  So I added some natural perches too.  Must be bugs on the wall as they are often picking at stuff and the flicker does that to the house walls, sounds like it's pile-driving his beak through the walls.  And it just started to snow as I got my herbs put inside the garage.  Winter is fast upon us.  Your kind of noise is nice though.  I love to hear you talk about farm life, it's really interesting.

• Like 3

@Sue Thomas and @Susan Ewart I'm lucky right now to live in a small town on Long Island just outside of NYC. It's pretty quiet around here other than the alarm from the fire station around the block (all volunteers out here so when they need the firefighters, the alarm is loud). I love listening to the birds in the morning, especially in the spring when the babies are chirping for breakfast. Even when a train from the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) passes by, I only hear the whistle which makes me feel like I'm out in the country. Nothing I can do about the light pollution, though. When I lived upstate, we could easily drive over to Lake Ontario and the sky was beautiful. On a clear day, we could see Canada. I even saw the northern lights one night.

• Like 2

@Sue Thomas and @Susan Ewart I'm lucky right now to live in a small town on Long Island just outside of NYC. It's pretty quiet around here other than the alarm from the fire station around the block (all volunteers out here so when they need the firefighters, the alarm is loud). I love listening to the birds in the morning, especially in the spring when the babies are chirping for breakfast. Even when a train from the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) passes by, I only hear the whistle which makes me feel like I'm out in the country. Nothing I can do about the light pollution, though. When I lived upstate, we could easily drive over to Lake Ontario and the sky was beautiful. On a clear day, we could see Canada. I even saw the northern lights one night.

Michele, your words paint a beautiful image.  It's sounds like a wonderful place to live.  When I lived on the Westcoast  (British Columbia) I lived on thoroughbred breeding farm and we were on zero avenue....that was a gravel road that separated US from CANADA.  There is even a marker ( 3 foot high obilisk) that says USA on one side and CANADA on the other side.  it's in the shallow ditch between the two roads that you can literally straddle (which i did) with your legs. One of my legs was illegally in the USA for the time it took to take the picture (less than 30 seconds).  

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I can tell when a hawk has entered the airspace near my backyard. The birds go silent while they're feeding and then burst out in flight, all at once. Sure enough, I look out and there's that predator sitting nearby. He's pretty amazing to see, but I'd run too if I were a wee bird.

• Like 3