What are you working on in October (2023)?

Cassel

5 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

quote:   they came from all over Europe, with the intentions of starting a fresh. They wanted to leave behind the turbulent history, of inter country fighting dating back hundred and hundreds of years. Border wars etc.:  But they left for a country where there were also many problems between black and white north and south. Until now. 

That is an interesting subject you mentioned. Another hobby of mine is Genealogy. We can go back to 1700 and sometimes a bit in the 1600. What strikes me is that old English and old Dutch are very similar as if they have the same background. Spelling was free at that time that's why everyone had their own way of writing, but then also its own development. 

As far as the wars are concerned, it was very simulated by the Romans. In their view, the more problems they had, the better because then they would cooperate less and rebel. The Romans were the second to last world power in Nebuchadnezzar's famous dream. for those who enjoy reading the Bible can be found in the first chapters of the Bible book of Daniel. All those world powers had the same goal; namely improving the world through war and thus creating a better world. (This is their statement, not mine) At the cost of many human lives. Until now. 

this is really interesting Jannette.  

8 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

quote:   they came from all over Europe, with the intentions of starting a fresh. They wanted to leave behind the turbulent history, of inter country fighting dating back hundred and hundreds of years. Border wars etc.:  But they left for a country where there were also many problems between black and white north and south. Until now. 

That is an interesting subject you mentioned. Another hobby of mine is Genealogy. We can go back to 1700 and sometimes a bit in the 1600. What strikes me is that old English and old Dutch are very similar as if they have the same background. Spelling was free at that time that's why everyone had their own way of writing, but then also its own development. 

As far as the wars are concerned, it was very simulated by the Romans. In their view, the more problems they had, the better because then they would cooperate less and rebel. The Romans were the second to last world power in Nebuchadnezzar's famous dream. for those who enjoy reading the Bible can be found in the first chapters of the Bible book of Daniel. All those world powers had the same goal; namely improving the world through war and thus creating a better world. (This is their statement, not mine) At the cost of many human lives. Until now. 

I didn't go back as far as the Roman Empire. And skimmed over history.  Like All Empires they were driven  by power and greed, by their leaders, at the expense of their subjects.  They invaded Scotland and Wales, but were confronted by hostile tribes, some they got on with and others they didn't.  England was where they  were able to put down roots.  Evidence of their presence in Wales is visible today  with Roman roads and artifacts which are  found by metal detectors.  All Empires eventually fall.  The  British Empire fell some time ago.  The US super power (Empire) is now falling.  It's debt to China is 33 trillion dollars.  It's overall gross debt, which includes interest, and other costs is 128 trillion dollars. The US is collapsing around them.  Ukraine is mobilizing men between  60-65 yrs of age.  Ben Wallis former defence minister of the UK is asking Ukraine to  draft youth ASAP. It's a proxy war, instigated by the US, back in 2008, and then the coup  in 2014.  Russia was provoked, into the special military operation, to denatzify  Ukraine, and for NATO (run by the US) to move troops from it's borders. UKraine is one of the most corrup countries in the world, run by the Azof  battalion Natzis.  The Russian federation under Putin   today isn't the old USSR under Stalin and Lenin.   I can't for the life of me understand why all those in power in the collective west has such a visceral  hatred for the Russian people. Churchill, after WW2   created  Operation paperclip. The Secret Intelligence Program. That brought over 20,000 Natzi war criminals to North America.  Many Western governments,  US government in particular is a cess pool of corruption, run by the Military  Industrial complex. President Eisenhower  warned against the  MIC in his farewell address.

16 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I had a great deal of difficulty understanding the Canadians when I first moved here.  Especially when they spoke, as they leave out letters.  They don't' say Toronto, but Torono. Under the bonnet is the engine of the car.  I'd often say, he's tinkering under the bonnet. In other words working on the engine.  When the settlers arrived in Johnson in 1621, they came from all over Europe, with the intentions of starting a fresh. They wanted to leave behind the turbulent history, of inter country fighting dating back hundred and hundreds of years. Border wars etc.  They adopted the English Language, as their primary language, but  Greek and Latin makes up a great deal  of the English Language.  So, they decided to change many of the words. Changing a letter or omitting a letter in a word.  Such as Tyre (tire) Colour (color).  It didn’t stop there, they would change words like bonnet and boot, to hood and trunk. That is why we have (old) English  and American English. North America has done it’s best to eradicate  everything related to the   settlers native  countries.  They believed that a continent like North America would be untouchable by invading countries.  It was true. North Americans have led sheltered lives.  Since WW2,  the US has instigated   over 200 wars in  European and Asian Countries. Including dropping 2 atomic bombs.  Russia has been involved in a total of 4 wars by invitation of the  respective invaded countries. How the US has changed since those first settlers,  they wanted a peaceful new life.

My mother lost 2 of her eldest brothers to  WW2, and a cousin, my dad lost an uncle.  Today I say to myself, what did they die for.  Hollywood has portrayed the US as the heroes of WW2.   Not true, Russia was the primary army that defeated Hitler and the Nazi. With the  highest mortality numbers.  I can remember to this day, how my gran spoke kindly and fondly about the Russians.  As they were allies of GB and the US.  I knew the second the house speaker of the Canadian  parliament, introduced a Ukrainian Canadian  officer who fought against the Russians in WW2, that he  was a SS Nazi of the worst kind.  It worries me, that if the neocons of the US government, and governments around the collective western countries aren’t reined in, I fear for what is in  store for the future of generations to come. 

I've gone off on a tangent here.  It can be deleted  if inappropriate

I've done quite a bit of research into WWI and WWII in order to write short biographies of (mostly) men from the area where I grew up, a very small town in a rural area. They are revered by the Legion (for whom I write those bios) and so they should be. Sue, you said, "What did they die for?' I find it really mind-boggling to understand why they so willingly suffered and died in just those two conflicts. They must've believed the propaganda of the times because those terrible years did nothing to resolve boundary squabbles and tribal prejudices that persist today. In fact, the peace treaties that came out of those wars have much to answer for in terms on ongoing conflicts. What did we learn? How far have we really progressed? I really appreciate your comments and the information you shared. My comment can be deleted too if it's controversial.

At first I didn't want to contribute to this discussion and viewpoints, but I like to mention something else. A lot of the European countries were under German occupation in WWII and have suffered terribly. If the allied forces had not come to our aid we all would be speaking German today and I like to remind you of the enormous loss of the Jewish people. Of course the result of all this is not what everybody hoped for and of course I know the price the Germans and Russians have paid for it too. But I think the solution today is not that simple. My comment can be deleted too if it's deemed controversial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Sue Thomas @Julie Magerka I understand that this topic is very relevant to you and you would like to talk about it. We started this with a question from me about an English expression and now we are into the most difficult thing on our minds, The purpose of our lives. Maybe it will depress some people to read this. For that reason, I will not discuss it further here. Not because you're wrong. Receive my love.

Edited by Jannette Nieuwboer
  • Like 2

I have wanted to make a button for a long time and today I finally succeeded. It's not a very big one. And not too sharp either. But I enjoyed making it. I used the Eye Candy 5 impact glass plugin for this. The scrap kit is new. I got it this week. And is from Susan. It is named 'leaves of autumn". 

Image4.jpg

Edited by Jannette Nieuwboer
  • Love 7

5 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I have wanted to make a button for a long time and today I finally succeeded. It's not a very big one. And not too sharp either. But I enjoyed making it.

Image4.jpg

I've yet to do one either.  This is so cute.  I like the shine part on the top.  It makes it look rounded and real.  Good job.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I have wanted to make a button for a long time and today I finally succeeded. It's not a very big one. And not too sharp either. But I enjoyed making it. I used the Eye Candy 5 impact glass plugin for this. The scrap kit is new. I got it this week. And is from Susan. It is named 'leaves of autumn". 

Image4.jpg

May I just say, it's "cute as a button"? (Which is a colloquial expression meaning pretty darn cute.)

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Our (Canadian) Thanksgiving is coming next Monday. To keep things easy but to satisfy the urge to "make" something, I did a card for friends/family I won't see. Just really simple.

2023 Happy Thanksg card_600.jpg

Love this, especially the plaid.  You are on a roll with layouts. I will be working on Monday. Long weekends are my least favorite weekends because they are the opposite for me, they are short.  We have an extended Friday shift to have a shorter Monday shift. Which is just means less weekend for me.  But I am thankful I have a job and will remember to be thankful on Monday.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I'm glad that both Canadian and American Thanksgiving are coming. I need that double dose of gratitude! ??

I just found the very first image I ever made as a card for family who could   not be at the table that year so long ago. So to  ya'lll who live in both great nations.  I am thankful to know ya'll here on Campus.

Thanks by dd.jpg

• Love 6

It's raining outside:( It is probably  a first fall day so we have to say 'Bye bye summer':(

My recent work "Rain". I used Carole's template but aspect ratio has been changed. btw, tell me why we use 3600x3600 (square) mostly? 

RainOverYourHead.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, kasany said:

btw, tell me why we use 3600x3600 (square) mostly? 

I don't know who decided on the size, but 3600 pixels x 3600 is a standard digital scrapbook size due to the standard paper scrapbook size is 12 inches x 12.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:53 AM, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Genealogy Speaking we can go back to John Donne (1571 or 1572 – 31 March 1631) who was an English poet, scholar, soldier and secretary born into a recusant family, who later became a cleric in the Church of England.[2] Under royal patronage, he was made Dean of St Paul's Cathedral in London (1621–1631).[1] He is considered the preeminent representative of the metaphysical poets. His poetical works are noted for their metaphorical and sensual style and include sonnets, love poems, religious poems, Latin translations, epigrams, elegies, songs and satires. He is also known for his sermons.

My favorite quote of his is ""No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent."

We dropped the e off our last name when arriving in the new world seeking religious freedom before the American revolution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW 1

10 hours ago, Dorothy Donn said:

Genealogy Speaking we can go back to John Donne (1571 or 1572 – 31 March 1631) who was an English poet, scholar, soldier and secretary born into a recusant family, who later became a cleric in the Church of England.[2] Under royal patronage, he was made Dean of St Paul's Cathedral in London (1621–1631).[1] He is considered the preeminent representative of the metaphysical poets. His poetical works are noted for their metaphorical and sensual style and include sonnets, love poems, religious poems, Latin translations, epigrams, elegies, songs and satires. He is also known for his sermons.

My favorite quote of his is ""No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent."

We dropped the e off our last name when arriving in the new world seeking religious freedom before the American revolution.

That's an interesting family tree you've mentioned. We don't have such a famous part in both our trees. ?

1 hour ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

That's an interesting family tree you've mentioned. We don't have such a famous part in both our trees. ?

Me, either, Jannette, though my Beck mother-in-law claimed she'd traced her lineage back to Mary Queen of Scots. Given her personality, I believed her! ?

• Haha 2

On 10/3/2023 at 4:09 PM, Susan Ewart said:

Love this, especially the plaid.  You are on a roll with layouts. I will be working on Monday. Long weekends are my least favorite weekends because they are the opposite for me, they are short.  We have an extended Friday shift to have a shorter Monday shift. Which is just means less weekend for me.  But I am thankful I have a job and will remember to be thankful on Monday.  

Poor Susan. Hope someone saves you some turkey or ham to make a sandwich to take to work. But be patient...one day you will be retired and then you'll be REALLY busy.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Dorothy Donn said:

I love that quote and have never heard it in it's entirety.  How impressive your family lineage is.  I am adopted so I have no known lineage other than my birth mother was french (French Canadian I believe).  I'm ashamed to say I failed french in school.  the worst marks I've ever received.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love that quote and have never heard it in it's entirety.  How impressive your family lineage is.  I am adopted so I have no known lineage other than my birth mother was french (French Canadian I believe).  I'm ashamed to say I failed french in school.  the worst marks I've ever received.  

I always wondered what it must be to be adopted. I mean: How my reaction would be? Knowing me, I'm never satisfied, I want to know more always. I'm able to tell many stories I came across during my search. Some of them are very sad. You'll be amazed at what you can still bring back after so many years. Sometimes I can't sleep about what I had learned that night. I've been a few times have been writing a book starring my ancestors. but reality doesn't make it a fun read. I don't think anyone will want to read it.?