Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

I rotated the template since my photos work better with a landscape setting. Like Carole's photo, mine showed the gray area so I hid that layer to show more of the background. I again flood filled the background with the same color as the day 1 layout but this time I added a texture (added the texture to day 1 as well). Since I wanted blue text, I changed the text box to a green color in one of the balloons. The title blue is the same as day 1 but I used a darker blue from the balloon for the actual story text.

2019 Balloon B-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Day 2

I turned the template upside down again.  This was the photo I most liked in what I shot.  I had wanted to do a straight on shoot with the full reflection but the camera would be quite small in the end.  In the reflection you will the film advance lever that folds out to advance the film.  I am not going to change the blue layer or the background (and the text color) until the end to see where I want to go with that.  I just realized I forgot to add it has a 'Bulb' setting as well - oops.

Marie-Claire, WOW, what a great angle of Poncho and beautiful composition.  He looks so regal.  

Magazine WS Day 2 Ricoh 35-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 10

6 hours ago, Shirley said:

Magazine work is new to me and I wasn't sure how far to go, but I see others have completed their pages so I have added the background and some more text.  I have tried to colour the borders, but the whole background  page fills in with colour, so I guess there is a trick to that.cass-MagazineA-00.pspimagecover.jpg600.jpg.0f6984a77a93c8c319467b103c40ecbd.jpg

Shirley, should you want to change the colour of the borders in order to resubmit your page, this is what you will need to do. Are you familiar with the lock transparency tool in the materials palette, if so  select it, then go to sections on the top tool bar, and select all.  Then choose your colour and flood fill.  Or once the lock transparency is selected, using the brush tool brush over the  borders with your  paint brush.  Remember to deselect the lock transparency once you have completed the task.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

What a cool building Corrie, I love looking into the refleciton (is that a reflection I see, or is it painted?).  Are we all supposed to finish the colors, or is that to come still in the workshop.

It is a reflection, the whole of the building is covered in glass tiles which give this surrealistic effect. You can finish the page if you want, but when I remember well it is mentioned to the end of the week.

• Like 3

Day 2 and I changed the template for my photo and put the blue mat to the bottom. I kept the blue color because in my cover the text had that color too. I have a bit of text and I used Arial so all that text is easier to read. I will probably keep the light green color as a background for all my pages, it goes well with most of the photos I plan to use.

Het Depot 1-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Day 1: After going through my picture file and starting one then another, I finally decided to use my Hoover Dam pictures, although mere pictures cannot do justice to the size of this amazing work of engineering. The font is Star full inline from deeezy,com. The separator waves are from the casswaves script. The background is from one of my texture photos-granite. The succulents are tubes.

dsHooverDam.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • WOW 3
  • Love 8

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Shirley, should you want to change the colour of the borders in order to resubmit your page, this is what you will need to do. Are you familiar with the lock transparency tool in the materials palette, if so  select it, then go to sections on the top tool bar, and select all.  Then choose your colour and flood fill.  Or once the lock transparency is selected, using the brush tool brush over the  borders with your  paint brush.  Remember to deselect the lock transparency once you have completed the task.

Well thankyou Sue. I now have my piece complete .  Third time lucky.  I have heard Carole using the lock transparency, but my brain must have been in  lock position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok here is my day 2 of the magazine workshop. I was all set to post this in the AM and I received a call from my Shirley friend, she was in a panic, she said " Aren't you going to Shirley Club" Well tools down and I was off, we had a 3/4 hour drive, but we got there in time, and here I am.

Day 2.jpg 600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 13

Magazine Lesson- 2: I used a photo of our Mr. Mooch as he is keeping close watch over his kingdom. Stone Cat is keeping him silent company. The title font is Cat Paw as in my Day-1 project, the rest of the text is Arial. Thank you Carole for pointing out what to do, if the photo does not cover the whole area. I also added a matching background.

Anita-Magazine-Lesson-2-Mooch-scaled.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

15 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love looking at this.  Is that a watercolor background too.  It's so nice.  On the borders: did you lock the transparency? 

Yes Susan, I just smeared some very wet water colours on the  paper, and for the penned element colours  I used mainly  watercolour pencils

• Love 2

@Louyse Toupin Oh, we are going to Mexico!!!!

@Susan Ewart You will see that you will likely want to keep tweaking the pages as the lessons come through.

@Corrie Kinkel Tweaking is something that you might do over and over again! Keep it up.

@Shirley The borders are likely to change to a different color as you create your next pages.

@Ann Seeber That gradient is really powerful in that page.

@Anne Burgess That will be a fun magazine! Remember that you can change things later if you want.

@Brian SmithDid you visit Newfoundland and Labrador?

@Cristina That is a fun use of the text for that front page!

@Rene Marker That will be such a colorful magazine!

@Anja Pelzer That is an interesting texture you added! For the frames, you might want to tweak them later, maybe separate the two from each other, etc. You will see.

@Marie-ClaireDid you edit that photo or did you take it that way? The perspective is spectacular!

@Anne Lamp Will we have all colorful flowers like that? It will be a delight!

@Donna Sillia Spectacular photo! Looking forward to more photos and stories.

@Sue Thomas Once done, I am sure your magazine would be worth printing!

@Gerry Landreth It is nice to visit the town!

@Anita Wyatt That is a cool photo with the "silent cat"! As for the tutorials, you can do the minimum as the days go and then want to go back to the previous ones. It is expected!

Don't worry yet about "finalizing" your pages. As you go through different lessons, new tricks will be shown and you might want to apply them to previous pages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2