Double Page Workshop 2023

Cassel

28 minutes ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Carole, when I d/led the written handout, I got the message that I had downloaded 0 files and I was allowed 10 in 6 days. Should this have happened?

Yes, I set up the downloads similar to other downloads for members.

I got a good start today on day 1 project! Here comes the but...my computer had other ideas, (DISC IS NEARLY FULL). I was able to clean disc and remove some data, so I have a good start on #1. My pics that I plan to use have been decided on, and I have a new computer I have just been dragging my feet on getting it up and running. (I think it's time) it should be an interesting week! Looking forward to seeing everyone's creative work.

• Like 1

Double-page projects are always challenging. In this case, there were not enough pictures to fill the spaces, and I had trouble finding clip art that I liked. So I resorted to an old theater technique ... spread them out and make it look full. 

I've done a couple of picture books, and Carole's Open Book script is an excellent tool for previewing the layout. 

NOTE: The blurb may be hard to read: "The Easter Egg Hunt is proof that children can find something if they really want to."

GNL-DoublePage-01_600.jpg

GNL-DoublePage-01-OpenBook-600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 4
  • Love 7

As usual, my project is animals because that's what I have the most pictures of.  Part of plan behind this is to create a monthly page (or double page) of the pets I take care of each month and then at the end of the year, put them in a book and gift the book to the pet parents.  These are my March pups and kitties.

Lesson1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 7

15 hours ago, Nancy McNamara said:

I got a good start today on day 1 project! Here comes the but...my computer had other ideas, (DISC IS NEARLY FULL). I was able to clean disc and remove some data, so I have a good start on #1. My pics that I plan to use have been decided on, and I have a new computer I have just been dragging my feet on getting it up and running. (I think it's time) it should be an interesting week! Looking forward to seeing everyone's creative work.

Disc is full!  Oh, my disc is not full, but I have an old computer (it tells me it cant handle Windows 11) and my 1T SD Cdrive that my son put in for me is 1/2 full+ which slows down my working in PSP.  Cleaning up unwanted data is a chore I'm in the middle of.  Some pspimage files have a hard time saving and some in opening.  Life is interesting - I'm not ready to get a new mega mega PC.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Disc is full!  Oh, my disc is not full, but I have an old computer (it tells me it cant handle Windows 11) and my 1T SD Cdrive that my son put in for me is 1/2 full+ which slows down my working in PSP.  Cleaning up unwanted data is a chore I'm in the middle of.  Some pspimage files have a hard time saving and some in opening.  Life is interesting - I'm not ready to get a new mega mega PC.

I feel your pain.  my 2TB SS HD is almost full (on a separate drive with my photo's).  Is sure does slow it down.  I think we have 32 GB ram.  That's my husbands department.  I am also in the middle of clean up but I have really bad monitors so i cant really tell if I should delete photo's or not.  I have monitors picked out that I want but I dont want to be out of pocket so i will sell off a piece of exercise equipment I think.  It's really hard to cull photo's but it's sorely needed.  Another SSD will be installed sometime in the future as will more ram.   Of course then I need equal amount of space for back up. UGH.  Sometimes I watch the green "saving" line and it's so slow and i'm saying, dont stop, dont stop.  Never have I cheered for a green line so much in my life.  Hubby says: the HD is too full, get rid of stuff.  

I also followed Ann's recommendations and clear the temp folder after and sometime during a PSP session. New computer stuff is exhausting, I dont want to move up to Win 11.  As opposed to new stuff in PSP...that's exciting!  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Lesley Maple said:

As usual, my project is animals because that's what I have the most pictures of.  Part of plan behind this is to create a monthly page (or double page) of the pets I take care of each month and then at the end of the year, put them in a book and gift the book to the pet parents.  These are my March pups and kitties.

Lesson1.jpg

That's a fantastic idea Lesley, the owners will love an album like this.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Well I see that I'm not the only one with computer problems. Mine got an update yesterday evening while I had my PSP open, but I was downstairs for a while looking at he Dutch version of the Antiques Road which is a programma I like. When I returned to the pc it was NOT behaving and I had to start my 1st double page a couple of times again before I realized what the problem was. Just close everything and restart and then it was all okay but at that time it was already, or again, after midnight.

My theme for this workshop is Switzerland in general. I have been there so many times because my daughter, before moving to the States, has lived there for more then 20 years. I'm just going to show some aspects of Switzerland, think mountains, lakes, flowers etc without giving the names on every photo. I think I'll have to change or adapt the templates because they don't suits my photos.

Day 1 features the many mountains of this country.

Double Page 1a-600.jpg

Double Page 1b-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Well I see that I'm not the only one with computer problems. Mine got an update yesterday evening while I had my PSP open, but I was downstairs for a while looking at he Dutch version of the Antiques Road which is a programma I like. When I returned to the pc it was NOT behaving and I had to start my 1st double page a couple of times again before I realized what the problem was. Just close everything and restart and then it was all okay but at that time it was already, or again, after midnight.

My theme for this workshop is Switzerland in general. I have been there so many times because my daughter, before moving to the States, has lived there for more then 20 years. I'm just going to show some aspects of Switzerland, think mountains, lakes, flowers etc without giving the names on every photo. I think I'll have to change or adapt the templates because they don't suits my photos.

Day 1 features the many mountains of this country.

Double Page 1a-600.jpg

Double Page 1b-600.jpg

Thank you for showing us pictures of Switzerland.  I've been doing my genealogy and I've found out that my great grandmother was born and spent the first 19 years of her life there before moving to the states in 1892.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Lesley Maple said:

Lesson1.jpg

What a great idea!

• Like 2

My Day 1 double page. The ruins of the first Cistercian monastery in the north of England, founded in 1132. Near Helmsley in North Yorkshire. The quote says:  “Everywhere peace, everywhere serenity and a marvellous freedom from the tumult of the world.”   St Aelred, 12th century Abbot of Rievaulx

Page1 600.jpg

Page 2  600.jpg

Edited by Sharla
  • Like 3
  • Love 9

@Hank Sobah That is a very colorful double-page with the Moraine State Park. It is great to envision everything happening in the park.

@Nancy McNamara Will we still be able to see some projects from you? I hope so!

@Anja Pelzer Using text, and other elements are great ways to fill that space. With two pages, you have more room to showcase more photos and stories.

@Gerry Landreth Of course, you can spread the elements to cover more space. You can also enlarge them. Remember that the template was just a starting point. And using the open book is a great idea to display two pages! For the second project, if you used the Frame tool, the proportions should not be affected. I am curious to know how you got such an irregular edge on the frames. I thought it was only working with regular edges/shapes. Very creative!

@Lesley Maple I think you will convince me to start pet sitting!!! That is such a fun project and I can see how the pet parents would love that!

@Connie Collier That is a great start for your project. You can always add a second page later, when more photos come, or if you want to add a story to the other page. And yes, practice and repetition will be common in this workshop.

@kasany I am a bit curious: did you ride that 20 km? And what about those indoor photos? Were they are specific stops along the way or at the end of the ride?

@Marie-Claire I see you are using some velum on your page. That is interesting as it lets the viewer see the background image while still making a definition for the text areas.

@Corrie Kinkel You can certainly change the format of the templates. They are just starting points!

@Sharla Those are beautiful photos!! Well showcased.

@Ann SeeberCombining adjacent photo spots for a larger photo is always fun to do as it gives so much more flexibility!

For those who have not posted yet, we are curious. Show us your projects, even if they are still a work in progress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sharla said:

I really like your pages and the background paper works brilliantly.

Thank you Sharla.
I chose a photo from the series I made in Malta for the background. and did the following :
Effects - Art Media Effects - Pencil
the settings adjusted to my liking coincidentally a khaki color was set for color, and I left it that way.
Below this layer, a new raster layer, filled with white. On this layer : Effects - Photo Effects - Sepia Toning.
Back to the layer with the photo, this layer on Blend Mode : Luminance (Legacy) Opacity : 64

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Marie-Claire I see you are using some velum on your page. That is interesting as it lets the viewer see the background image while still making a definition for the text areas.

yes Carole, I didn't have enough photos that fit to use all the boxes. Leaving out the boxes didn't look good with the whole, I still wanted the boxes to remain, on the other hand I also wanted to show something of the background, and that's how I came up with the idea

• Like 1