Masks Workshop 2022

Cassel

Lynda, I love your Linoleum. The colors are stunning against the browns of the desert and RV. Hank your band pic is awesome. Mary, I like the soft purples in your Grand Canyon.

Here is my Day 5. it is my second attempt. (I ditched the first one, and started fresh with a brand new photo) This is an early morning photo of the lake. When we get up in the morning,  grab some coffee, open the blinds, and sit looking out the window.  This particular morning the sun was shining, and the water on the lake looked almost white. So, I got dressed and went outside, and snapped a few quick pictures.

Here is my result for Day 5.

I started out trying to have the picture as the focus but realized somewhere along the way that it was necessary to make it smaller. But the exercise to get the mask with an element related to the picture seemed to come together well.  Thank you, Carole for your teaching of how to do things in PSP.

Carole, your grandson is adorable!!  Here is my Mask 6 lesson.  My dog Magoo in his doggles.  I did the background both ways, then blended, and added a radial blur, then did some masking to tone it down a little around the picture.  My font is Ennobled Pet, and I forget where I got it. My heart with paws is a brush.

Lesson 6

Nice marbly background and I tried the unchecked Mono alternative and didn't like it as much for my design as it tended to dominate but can see it would be good for more vibrant images. To focus a bit more (and for a sort of binocular effect I added a circular frame from Marisa Levin of DigitalScrapbook. The AI setting for resizing seemed to take ages so I used bi-cubic in the end. The ladies in my photo were braving the autumn weather but seemed to be really enjoying themselves. I was developing a cold when I saw them so wasn't inclined to join in. (That's my excuse!)

At the risk of repeating myself, everyone's work is beautiful.

This is my extra layout for Project 3.  Such fun with the Kaleidoscope and tiling! Can't remember the name of the font, but I have fallen in love with the inner beveling on fonts! I am such a fan of Lord of the Rings.  This picture of Bilbo's and Frodo's door in Hobbiton I got from the web - tours in New Zealand are being made to the sets of LOR. The poem is Frodo's as he and his companions are getting ready to set out on the road to their "dark" adventure.

I haven't commented very much, but every one has made such lovely and different pages.

Mary Solaas, I like you hobbit's house and I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings too!

This is my day 6 of the workshops with again another tree in bloom. I did a couple of linoleum backgrounds with a color from the photo and didn't like them. They stayed all a bit bland even with the blend mode set to soft light. I changed the blend mode to difference and reduced the opacity a bit, which gave me this result that suits the photo much better, at least I think so.

Masks Lesson 2

This took me a little while to do, and I think I got there phew!! I took the plaid colours from the leaf of the anemone, but on finishing the page I did wonder if I should have taken the 'colours/pattern' from the red and yellow picture. I used the brush to highlight the letters as I also did those in a purple but added a dark green outline.

The plaid was fun to do.

I know I've said it before but there are awesome pages being uploaded and I'm enjoying the stories behind them. The pics on this one I've done are from my Mum's garden.

Lesson 6.  Today I used a scanned image of one of my photo's.  This photo is from 1993!  A time when I shot mostly slides, very little film.  Except on this day when I went to the Vancouver Aquarium where this guy landed on top of an exhibits (pretty sure the rocks are fake), I was shooting film. 19 yrs later the negative (which has been kept in the dark) is not viable anymore, wish I'd shot slides that day.  I had a few problems today and was able to overcome them when I used my laptop to follow the lesson on making masks from selections, while actually doing the lesson on my desktop.  I had written the instructions wrong and I was on the wrong layer  while making the selection.  And I also had to go back to get the settings for the brush behind the quote (from Lesson 2).  And, I see it needs to be moved to the right a bit.  the lino paper is fun to do and quick.

Day 2...sigh....I have had a long week. I have not accomplished much in this workshop so far. Too many things I have forgotten. Too many things to do.

When I finally got to making the plaid, I lowered the opacity because it just seemed to overwhelm the photos. I think I missed a step on one of the masks, but I guess it worked.

I will look at Day 3 now, but I am going to have to sleep soon, because tomorrow is another day. And I have more stuff going on then.