Masks Workshop 2022

Cassel

Carole, I have thought about a trail camera for a long time. Then a neighbor shared some pictures his camera had captured. Then he emailed a sale on a website for one of his cameras and finally I took the step and got one myself. My neighbor helped me set it up and the rest is history. Initally, I was not impressed with the photos but then the camera caught a couple of good ones. I have had a problem with trespassers some and that's why I wanted a camera...but this is just too much fun. I may even buy another. The trespass problem is resolving itself...but I have a camera if I need it to catch a trespasser.

Carole, in reply to your question, no I don't use the blur on my masks. Once I have created the mask, I will duplicate, close one, merge the other group, using the magic wand, select the mask, contract, feather. I don't feather every mask I create, I find it peters out the edges well to blend well into the background paper.

Mask 2 - I have found the masks challenging. I cannot always get the images to be clear. I am not exactly sure in some cases why they look washed out. I have been trying adjusting brightness and other things to improve.  Maybe just something that will come with time.

I like the plaid. My plaid background is actually two Patterns in separate layers that I used the  Blending mode to get what I wanted. My first pattern was pretty much two colours which made the main image hard to separate from the background.

The font I used is freehand591 BT

Thank you!!

Yes, we are full-timers but settled in Comfort TX and love it...and yes, I did use the kaleidoscope and was pleased with the results ---- I don't like things to be too busy and getting the color to not overpower the photo was challenging....heading to do today's lesson....thanks again!

EllenG

I'm way behind. However, I finished up the Quick Page Workshop, placed all the goodies in the correct folders, and am now ready for the Mask Workshop. Plan to take my time, sorry, but there is so much you have given us, Carole, that I will have to look at utilizing those goodies. Anyway, I have finished the 1st project and am posting it. These are pictures taken on the trip my daughter and I took in 2016 - these were taken at a rest stop in Pennsylvania as we worked our way up north to Niagra Falls. A beautiful day with a beautiful view. The font is Script MT Bold. The background is the golden gradient which I modified (did not save as I didn't want to destroy the original) and then changed the opacity. I wasn't happy with the "greyed" masks and so I changed them to completely white so that the colors would show through. This was an interesting refresher course in using masks with a psd template. The instructions were really clear this time. Thanks.

On another note: WOW everyone's take on the workshop is really great!

Hello,

It has been awhile since I last posted anything. Once in awhile I go here to see the creations. I have been looking at old family pics. Our oldest turned 60 in December. I am surprised how good some of these pics look after working on them for awhile. They start as tiny slides. Steve, our youngest, was born in 1973. I am not totally satisfied with it, perhaps I will go back later to make improvements, like adding some elements.

Henry

Lesson 4

Decided to make a slightly whimsical image of the bird twitchers apparently peering through larger than life reeds. (Screen Layer effect set at 85%).  I took these photos at the bird sanctuary and used the watercolour brushes Carole kindly gave us to model the mask and to create a blurred background to set off the body text.

I am enjoying this workshop.   If I don't use the tools often I forget quickly.   I forgot about masking with the mask layer, that would have saved me lots of time on my day 3 project.   I love the watercolour brushes, thanks for the resourses.  I used a purchased kit from Jumpstart Designs Feeling Festive.

Here's Masks-Day4 - Pileated Woodpecker. I was lucky enough to have a pair in my yard at my last home in the countryside before moving to the city. They were noisy and made a BIG mess of a large tree stump! They are beauties, though, the largest of all our woodpeckers and I'm convinced the model for the cartoon, Woody Woodpecker. :-D

Also, sorry, Carole, I got ahead of myself when I found my directions to make linoleum ;-)

The title font is Magneto. I made my own mask using one of the watercolor brushes.

here is day 4 i had a little trouble with one as my jasc 9 was not being nice about the brush varience F11. it only shows this

552ehq75z5scsdq46vhoe389ohdp7f82.png

so i will have to play with this more but i do love learning how to make my own masks.. this photo is of my 2 fur babies father and daughter. very rear that they will cuddle in the same bed. lulus is only 3 pounds but acts more like a Rottweiler and no one gets in the front door without a barking session.

<p style="text-align: center;">ychmi0k7v8g5w02ezjype45cblakqpby.png</p>

Day 4.  Blister beetles, in this particular category, the  Epicauta species, I have shots of all three, the grey, tan and the black.  The grey colour is my favourite.  I adore the black beetle image, the expression on it's awesome face, as it appears to be  looking at me  is absolutely  priceless, and melts my heart.

I have an array of watercolour  brushes, to create this mask, I used a watercolour  splash brush.  Macro photography.

We should all learn to love all insects, not just the beautiful ones, like the butterfly. They all provide an essential  service on this planet. They deserve our respect, and are most certainly worthy of a second  closer look.

Day 4  I went with a nature scene for this one too.  Red Winged Blackbirds from last year.  It isn't unusual seeing the males in the trees singing their hearts out, but it is rare to see the female that close.  If I remember right, I think there was a fledgling in the bushes under that tree, and they were not happy with me being so close.  I did put the camera away and left them in peace.

Well!!!! I did it and I actually did lesson 2 mixed in with it so there is a plaid...I WAS using 2022 but it froze, shut down and then REFUSED to resize the 1 pixel so I could do the plaid.....I am so thankful I have 2021, so I did the class in 2021  PSP! But, it is maddening that PSP 2022 is so touchy, it shuts down often, so often I don't recommend it anymore...2021 is best.

Loved this class and making my own mask!!!!

EllenG